Airport, checking all incoming passengers?

BngkkB

I've only had my bags x-rated one time upon entering Thailand, they were looking for new IPhone 3, I think? I have heard that they are starting to check all incoming people's bags? Has anybody arrived internationally recently? Same old or are they checking? How long is it taking to get through now a days after the immigration line?

Thanks

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I mentioned elsewhere that I had first inbound xray search in over 150 trips on my last one....

Have to say it was totally cursory and not even sure operator was even looking at screen

Thanks so very much. So shouldn't be much of a delay. Maybe two bottles of scotch from duty free? One expensive and one cheap just in case?

We came through at midnight sunday, just walked through, had one bottle spirits in a duty free bag bought at BKK airport. No more than six people in any queue at immigration. was in a cab on the way within 35 minutes of landing.

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi airport on a 05:30 flight on 25th June and the airport was pretty quiet.

There was a small line of people getting their bags scanned, as no one was just walking through to the arrivals hall. I thought I would be smart and just walk through the other lane, however I was asked to stop. The officer politely asked me to place my bags on the scanning machine. Once completed he kindly thanked me for my "cooperation".

This is the first time I can recall that my bags have been checked upon arrival after 14 years of regular visits here.

I have had my baggage x-rayed for the majority of the last 10 entries at Suvannaphoom. Maybe I fit the profile, lone male traveller coming off an Etihad flight.

Having said that, they barely glance at the screen during the x-ray.

• Like 2

I have had my baggage x-rayed for the majority of the last 10 entries at Suvannaphoom. Maybe I fit the profile, lone male traveller coming off an Etihad flight.

Kmm, I am a lone male traveler going to BKK at least once a month. In 20 years I have never had my luggage checked. Not that it would bother me.

OP: "I've only had my bags x-rated one time..."

Well, if they checked the content of my bags, they would very often be "x-rated," however they have been x-rayed a few times, especially when I am traveling with my UK / Filipina wife (whom most assume is Thai). Story from her Thai friends is that they are looking for branded bags, of which my wife had brought a couple from the US (cost about 1/3 as much there), but fortunately they didn't open the specific luggage with the bags inside when they subsequently hand searched our luggage -- didn't find the "x-rated" stuff either tongue.png

Edited by eppic
  • Like 1

All bags are first scanned when they're taken off the plane but before they're put on the carousel.

When your bags are checked after you've collected them it's usually because there was a possible anomaly that showed up with the first scan.

Wife and I came into Suvarnabhumi last week, with 8 bags and 2 bicycles. They asked us to put 3 bags through the scanner, and that was it. Wife told them we were moving back to Thailand, which is true.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thanks so very much. So shouldn't be much of a delay. Maybe two bottles of scotch from duty free? One expensive and one cheap just in case?

Asking for a world of issues whether cheap or not if over your allowance........Why on earth risk it ??

I think he means to use the scotch as a bribe if he's caught lol

I think they're mostly looking for designer bags and such as people pay you to buy them abroad and smuggle them in as personal goods, therefore avoiding the punitive Thai luxury goods tax. Its big business at the moment.

if they are well trained, they watch the person to see how they react and decide if they should take further investigating

Doesn't anyone find it just a tiny be degrading to your honor as a human being, to constantly have to line up and beg, and do tricks to prove to some numbnuts or other that you're worthy? We're constantly being numbered, tagged, checked, surveilled......and for what? Generally I mean....in some places more, in others a bit less, but generally in the 21st Century. I find it all quite unnecessary and distasteful to be honest.

Our unquestioning acceptance of this situation reveals the slave mentality. A Century before you board a ship to anywhere, no passport needed, no stamp, no visa and no invasive anything...You could have a solid gold Inca God idol in your suitcase...and a brace of pistolas...... No-one's business but your own. All you'd hear is "Welcome Sir - Very good Sir - Another scotch Sir?" and you'd be on your way.

Non of this nonsense we have today. All so we can be "safe" of course. Good to see that everyone is so concerned with safety...I hope you're all feeling as "safe" as I am. I seriously don't know what I'd to if not for the gentle caress of big brother, always there to soothe and protect.

• Like 2

Doesn't anyone find it just a tiny be degrading to your honor as a human being, to constantly have to line up and beg, and do tricks to prove to some numbnuts or other that you're worthy? We're constantly being numbered, tagged, checked, surveilled......and for what? Generally I mean....in some places more, in others a bit less, but generally in the 21st Century. I find it all quite unnecessary and distasteful to be honest.

Our unquestioning acceptance of this situation reveals the slave mentality. A Century before you board a ship to anywhere, no passport needed, no stamp, no visa and no invasive anything...You could have a solid gold Inca God idol in your suitcase...and a brace of pistolas...... No-one's business but your own. All you'd hear is "Welcome Sir - Very good Sir - Another scotch Sir?" and you'd be on your way.

Non of this nonsense we have today. All so we can be "safe" of course. Good to see that everyone is so concerned with safety...I hope you're all feeling as "safe" as I am. I seriously don't know what I'd to if not for the gentle caress of big brother, always there to soothe and protect.

Yeah well, a Century before people didn't fly planes into the World Trade Center either.

• Like 2

Came through Swampy at about 00.30 this morning.

A group of middle-eastern passengers were being quizzed about the contents of a cardboard box, everyone else just walking through, x-ray machines unmanned.

Arrived last week no X ray.

However if I come at Xmas with a cardboard box every time I'm pulled up and it goes in the machine.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Airports around the world are bowing down to the United States TSA.

Soon, they will be checking your ass because you might have a bomb shoved up your ass.

Well I feel safer if they are checking, did they not find a bomb in a guys shoe and another in guy had one in his underpants, so yes it would not be hard to hide a bomb up your arse

I see people huffing and puffing because they are asked to take off their belts and shoes, me, I thank the officers for being diligent.

Always better safe than saying your praters as the plane is plummeting to the ground

Edited by pitchag
  • Like 2

A lot of country's are checking the latest security check when leaving a country, you have to make sure your phones, iPads, lap tops and other electronic devices are fully charged if not they will take them off you.