parking in patong

no deal

i have to go to patong today for my 90 day report and i stop at the subway on the beach road for a sandwich. i find a empty space and park my car and about four people come to me and told me i can not park there is reserve for taxi .... if you stay you going to have a flat tire. the most agressive was from a lady at a massage place where i just park in front of ,in patong you can not park anywhere taxi are all over the place waiting for customer they dont have, but they stay there all day.the rental car and scooter are all over the place taking all the parking spot,i stay any way have my lynch and go to the immigration there i stay 5 minutes in and out and have my report done,i have to pay 100 bath for service...first time a have to pay for 90 days reporting but i really dont care is just 100 bath!

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Surprising they are still being so aggressive when like 100 of them just got arrested for this very type of behavior.

i think the lady of the massage place want to kip this parking space for some one because she as nothing to do whit taxi and she was very made, but more people come over and they was taxi driver standing on the side walk and they told me you can not park her is reserve for taxi, if you stay you may have a flat tire,i reply call the police!,i park almost before the subway on beach road and right in front at the massage place, it was car parked every where and this space was empty so i take!

about immigration i walk in give my passport she print a form that i have to sign and she ask me for 100 bath service,i have done 90 days report for 5 years now and never have to pay anything?

I never paid for anything when doing the 90 days report in Patong. But I have to confess, I came by motorbike... No problem to park near the destruction site next to the Immigration Office.

attachicon.gif2tv.jpg

well they have a parking at the immigration for car and scooter!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Surprising they are still being so aggressive when like 100 of them just got arrested for this very type of behavior.

one week before i park in patong and one taxi driver walk to my car but dint said any ting i think now the army is busy elswhere so they do again!

OP, next time take out your phone and document this on video. The mayor and General would like not look positively on such rude behaviour.

very good idea!

I never paid for anything when doing the 90 days report in Patong. But I have to confess, I came by motorbike... No problem to park near the destruction site next to the Immigration Office.

attachicon.gif2tv.jpg

well they have a parking at the immigration for car and scooter!

Not really. It's private parking. You might get away with a bike but no way with a car.

It has just been announced in Phuketwan that starting shortly Patong taxis and tuk tuks will be limited to three per designated station with the rest parking in collective call centres.

Plus ALL to be metered!

I await, breathless, being able to park on Beach Rd or Ratuthid 200 pee Rd.

Just done 90 day reporting in Patong. Very quick service. Lady asked me for 100 baht. I said first time I have ever been asked for money for reporting. The head man was called over. I asked whether it was an official charge for reporting going forward? He told me it was a "service charge". I asked whether he would give me a receipt. I was told to leave. I didn't pay.

I walked down Bangla - 1 slow Loris, about 15 time share touts no change there yet.

• Like 1

Just done 90 day reporting in Patong. Very quick service. Lady asked me for 100 baht. I said first time I have ever been asked for money for reporting. The head man was called over. I asked whether it was an official charge for reporting going forward? He told me it was a "service charge". I asked whether he would give me a receipt. I was told to leave. I didn't pay.

40 baht asked 10 days ago. Now 100 baht. Amazing Thailand.

It has just been announced in Phuketwan that starting shortly Patong taxis and tuk tuks will be limited to three per designated station with the rest parking in collective call centres.

Plus ALL to be metered!

I await, breathless, being able to park on Beach Rd or Ratuthid 200 pee Rd.

I suggested this years ago but the cynic in me feels there will likely be so many designated stations that the side of the road will still be full & the same would go if they made the mc rentals do the same. What about having telephone numbers posted so people could call them from anywhere. To help keep prices down taxis, tuk tuks etc should be allowed to pick up people outside their zones which at present is not tolerated.

• Like 1

IIRC 6 stations (3 each taxis or tuk tuks) for Beach Rd.

I know, pinch me I'm dreaming.

Still - more has been achieved so far on Phuket than decades of dithering.

Edited by Evilbaz
  • Like 1

Are the taxis going to be allowed to be waved down, or will they have to return to their holding area and wait until a customer calls and it's their turn again?

Excellent point NKM. That's the greatest part of the problem. Taxis/tuk tuks can only pick-up at their (self) designated stand. Adds to the drivers fuel costs = is passed on to the customer (multiplied)

If we had a real meter taxi system where taxis could be waved down - what an improvement. Just a dream 6 months ago - perhaps a glimmer of hope today.

It's very common, I dread having to bring my car to Patong. The only places I use are The Kee (80 baht one off), Patong Promenade (FOC for an hour and then an hourly charge), Jung Cylon (FOC* for three hours if I spend 100 baht there), beach road if I'm lucky (FOC).

Really for Patong bike is best.

SDM

* Free of Charge, not Friends of Carlotta

Are the taxis going to be allowed to be waved down, or will they have to return to their holding area and wait until a customer calls and it's their turn again?

Excellent point NKM. That's the greatest part of the problem. Taxis/tuk tuks can only pick-up at their (self) designated stand. Adds to the drivers fuel costs = is passed on to the customer (multiplied)

If we had a real meter taxi system where taxis could be waved down - what an improvement. Just a dream 6 months ago - perhaps a glimmer of hope today.

That's the plan - some (metered) circulating, Some (metered) on call out from holding areas.

This plus a bus route along the beaches - Go Army!

They can throw in a Military Governor here for mine as well after the Elections.

Well, that's what I was thinking, LIK. What's going to be the difference, if they can't be waved down.

If the taxi must return back to the holding area, empty, what has changed? Also, whoever owns the land for the holding area is going to have to be paid. The calling center or walkie talkie guys will also have to be paid. It all adds to the metered cost.

The way it reads to me is, tourists will have to walk to a calling station - didn't the Army just pull all of these "calling stations" (salas) down????

How would a tourist know where there are? Why should they have to walk there anyway, especially in the rain?

A taxi with a fare can radio in that people on the corner of Beach Road and Bangla Road are after a taxi, because they just tried to wave him down, and the nearest taxi goes to the job.

Surely it's better to have them circulating and getting waved down, and on their meal break, or quiet times, they can go to the holding area to park, and play cards and drink sangsom. :)

I walked down Bangla - 1 slow Loris, about 15 time share touts no change there yet.

Please share the exact time and location you saw the loris. I am in a position to do something about this now.

This is the first I have heard of one in several weeks since the fines went up from 500B to 2500B and the police made several arrests.