Passersby sing Thai song for American road victim: Chiang Mai

webfact

Passersby sing Thai song for American road victim

CHIANG MAI: -- A 34-year-old American citizen was killed as she tried to cross a highway with a friend in Chiang Mai shortly after midnight Friday and was hit by a speeding car.

Identified by her uninjured friend as Ms Nicole Saengsuree, she lied dead in front of the Central Festival Chiangmai store on the highway from Chiang Mai to Lampang at 00.20 a.m. Friday with broken skull and bones.

The driver of the Yaris car which hit her, Mr Ratanapol Bunraem, admitted that he drove at high speed and did not see them as it was a curve there.

The victim climbed over a barrier to cross to another side of the highway at the same time as his car arrived at the curve and hit her, he said.

Passersby said the victim’s friend burst into tears near her body as he pleaded them to sing a Thai song “Duen Phen” (Lunar Moon) which was her most favourite song to send her spirit to heaven.

They agreed to sing the song for the American victim amid the tearful eyes of her friend.

Her body was later collected to the Chiang Mai hospital for autopsy.

The driver was later booked for reckless driving that caused death to other.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/passersby-sing-thai-song-american-road-victim/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-18

Her journey into self-sufficiency and sustainability have ended prematurely...may her friends and family...find peace in her life...and not dwell upon her tragic death...

Judging from her video, she was no fool. There have been times when I did not want to walk a great distance around a barrier, and would take a chance, since no cars were in sight. Many do... It is not for me to judge. Traffic here seldom makes sense anyways.....cars run red lights, speed, cut your off, and sometimes drive in the wrong directions to avoid a long U turn. Pedestrians here jay walk, squat in the road to change tires, cross without looking...etc.

• Like 2

"Mr Ratanapol Bunraem, admitted that he drove at high speed and did not see them as it was a curve there."

Sounds like admitting wrong doing to me. Vehicular manslaughter might be appropriate charge. "Did not see them" means he was not driving appropriately for the situation. Open and shut case in countries with traffic laws, I would think.

"Mr Ratanapol Bunraem, admitted that he drove at high speed and did not see them as it was a curve there."

Sounds like admitting wrong doing to me. Vehicular manslaughter might be appropriate charge. "Did not see them" means he was not driving appropriately for the situation. Open and shut case in countries with traffic laws, I would think.

I wonder how dark the film on his windscreen was...

• Like 2

Such a shame, a beautiful and talented young Lady !!

I am amazed at how little Thai and Farang pedestrians respect the "Jay Walking Laws".

The other thing is little regard drivers here have for pedestrians, even when you have the light to cross and the right-a-way they honk there horns and try to intimidate you into not crossing.

God Bless her !!

• Like 2

sounds like 2 fools in the wrong place wrong time....why cross the road at a place like that?

RIP

That is what is wrong with this country.....letting in scum like you.

Harsh but true, they both made a mistake and one paid much more !!

Unfortunately, Chiang Mai is not pedestrian friendly. How can one cross that intersection safely. Cars turning left from the frontage road onto the road to Doi Saket don't slow down when the lights to go straight on are red.

Unfortunately, Chiang Mai is not pedestrian friendly. How can one cross that intersection safely. Cars turning left from the frontage road onto the road to Doi Saket don't slow down when the lights to go straight on are red.

That's one of the crazy things about Thailand. The road planners build these big multi lane roads in the city and never make any plans for people to cross the road. The needs of the local people who live on either side of the road are never considered! I can never understand this. I am guessing the people who plan the roads have been to university, have qualifications?

• Like 1

Would her family be able to file a private lawsuit along these lines. If the police don't?

Edited by Asiantravel

Crossing roads in Chiang Mai is like playing Russian roulette, I always advise those tourists that I see waiting at pedestrian crossings, even those with lights not to assume that all traffic will stop and to take care.