Crackdown on ED visas coming up ?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's not speculate and wait for official announcements / facts. This is just unwanted scaremongering. Of course if your friend has facts, please share?

Edited by B1ade

@ B1ade: Yeah, I just sent him a message on Facebook to get the source and will share it with you asap. I've been on an ED visa for 3 or 4 years (can't even remember now :D ) so I'm a bit worried about the outcome of all this... Wait and see. I'll keep you posted and if you find any relevant info please share as well ;)

Let's not speculate and wait for official announcements / facts. This is just unwanted scaremongering. Of course if your friend has facts, please share?

it is not scaremongering.

ed visa is the next obvious loophole because many are not even showing up for classes.

it is like buying a visa.

Ok. I got some fresh news!

My friend just replied to me. He is part of a group on FB and saw a conversation between a guy called Marc W.... (apparently boss of W..... Schools) and another dude. That other dude was asking stupid questions and Marc W.... told him it was because of that kind of behaviour that immigration was thinking of targeting ED visas now.

My friend is a reliable man so I guess immigration is really targeting ED visas next (well it's an idea they have anyway).

PS: I didn't put the name of the guy out of respect for him and his business. Not hard to guess anyway :D

Edited by Rigo29

This will be an impossible situation, a catch 22. If you can't speak thai when questioned they will say they don't believe you are a a genuine student of Thai. But if you can speak thai they will say the same thing as that would mean you already know Thai and so don't need to learn it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

@ B1ade: Yeah, I just sent him a message on Facebook to get the source and will share it with you asap. I've been on an ED visa for 3 or 4 years (can't even remember now biggrin.png ) so I'm a bit worried about the outcome of all this... Wait and see. I'll keep you posted and if you find any relevant info please share as well wink.png

Reasonable I suppose. How long doe it take to learn conversational Thai? 3-4 years?

it is not scaremongering.

ed visa is the next obvious loophole because many are not even showing up for classes.

it is like buying a visa.

Yes, especially when all the advertising for said language "schools" trumpets the fact you can stay and live in Thailand if you sign up for a course. There is never anything about any other reason for learning Thai. Does any other legitimate business trumpet the fact the sole reason for buying their product or service is so one can stay in Thailand? Edited by OMGImInPattaya
  • Like 1

Just been through this process with my final extension (4 months).

Arrived at immigration and was told to return some days later once the school had been inspected (it is a legitimate school). Attendance records were checked, the school had to supply a photo of me in the classroom and as part of the application process I had to bring two photographs of my house and a hand drawn map. I was asked no questions in Thai and apparently this is now mandatory and happening at all language schools.

I will be returning on a business visa. The ED visa is really not suitable for me any longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile appjxnhl

Every Immigration officer speaks Thai.

Easy to test for on re-entry ...

So how do they test you if you're studying another language, cooking, or doing a masters degree?

Ask for your attendance records.

(plus maybe cook their lunch?)

@ B1ade: Yeah, I just sent him a message on Facebook to get the source and will share it with you asap. I've been on an ED visa for 3 or 4 years (can't even remember now biggrin.png ) so I'm a bit worried about the outcome of all this... Wait and see. I'll keep you posted and if you find any relevant info please share as well wink.png

How did you live in Thailand on an ed, this is realy for under 50 yo,especialy to young kids lol, over 25

Well the issue is not only Thai language courses that get ED visa so will be hard for them to check all other language, cooking or computer classes etc.. I would more guess it will be the financial part and new rules for that, this was up on TV for discussion for some time back, were you maybe need to show proof of how you can support yourself during the study time and in that way close all illegal work inside the country. The issue I can see there is how much would you need to show? Same as retirement? Well if less that would be very unfair and maybe many people would change to study if there was lower amount needed but this is all speculation ,time will tell but I am sure something will change

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This will be an impossible situation, a catch 22. If you can't speak thai when questioned they will say they don't believe you are a a genuine student of Thai. But if you can speak thai they will say the same thing as that would mean you already know Thai and so don't need to learn it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Why would you need to speak Thai if you were learning Mandarin?

• Like 1

Well the issue is not only Thai language courses that get ED visa so will be hard for them to check all other language, cooking or computer classes etc.. I would more guess it will be the financial part and new rules for that, this was up on TV for discussion for some time back, were you maybe need to show proof of how you can support yourself during the study time and in that way close all illegal work inside the country. The issue I can see there is how much would you need to show? Same as retirement? Well if less that would be very unfair and maybe many people would change to study if there was lower amount needed but this is all speculation ,time will tell but I am sure something will change

Proof of 800,000 baht is not unreasonable,as that seems to be the norm for living 1 year in Thailand, unless one is married then 400,000. So maybe split the difference, 600,000 baht, who can show,this amount when having an ed visa, none or 1 lol

• Like 1

This will be an impossible situation, a catch 22. If you can't speak thai when questioned they will say they don't believe you are a a genuine student of Thai.

It seems to be a little bit more difficult now, but currently in Pattaya there are many guys on ED visa who are learning Russian, English, cooking or Thai boxing. Could be funny to see they tested inside the Immigration Office wink.png

I hope we'll have an official announcement so I can start packing for a good reason... violin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

You can start packing. I was same like you on ED for some years. It's all over now. Was at immigration today, all the rules changed. They want to see pictures and more pictures and more pictures from your home, your school, you in the school, i had a bunch of pics and paperwork with me - no chance. They try everything to kick us out of here, and i have to admit they are now successfull. I go now and spent the 100.000 Baht i left here every month now in another asian country. Their are many asian countrys where western foreigners are very welcome. We can get visa everywhere in the world were they count on our euros and dollars. In Thailand it is over, something changed dramaticly in the recent weeks and i cannot see the land of smile anymore.

The land of smile becomes the land of xenophobia. If they really believe we westeners are here for taking the thaipeoples jobs away, if they really thinking any westener wants to work in a country where the average salary is lower than the social welfare in his homecountry, than let them thinking what they want and let the time tell them the truth. I guess the things will become nasty soon... No Visas, no farangs, no farangs, no good business anymore, no good business, no money, no money = no smile anymore when the borrow has to be paid back but daddy and mum are unable to do so and the livingstandard drops...

Looking forward what Bali, the Philipines, Vietnam or Malaysia have to offer. The Visas give me the feeling that i'm welcome their, in Thailand i'm not welcome anymore. Good Bye LOS.

Edited by AsienExpat
  • Like 2

Proof of 800,000 baht is not unreasonable,as that seems to be the norm for living 1 year in Thailand, unless one is married then 400,000. So maybe split the difference, 600,000 baht, who can show,this amount when having an ed visa, none or 1 lol

I don't actually think most retirees on 800K plan actually spend that much annually per person. But that's OK I guess, there is a reserve for unexpected expenses which happen inevitably.

IT will never happen'' THEIRS TO MUCH MONEY UNDER THE TABLE INVOLVED"' I been on an ED visa for two years without going to one class doing it threw an agent, It is buying a visa and the stamp is real as they give you receipts from immigration so like it or not Immigration is making a lot of money issuing these visas threw visa agents as you can go to any visa agent in any corner in Pattaya and they all advertise ED visa no class needed for 30-50,000bht depending on the agent Now do you think immigration doesn't know about these visa agents...Hmmmmmmmm

• Like 1

I don't actually think most retirees on 800K plan actually spend that much annually per person.

Very difficult to say:

- There are retirees who live alone in a small apart of a Soi Buakhao guesthouse and who probably don't have half of 800k to spend by year;

- There are retirees who are married, have wife & children live in a nice house, have a car (or 2), go play golf & eat nice restaurant,... and spend easily 200k/month;

How much is the average? I don't know, but 800k is only 67k/month...

• Like 1

IT will never happen'' THEIRS TO MUCH MONEY UNDER THE TABLE INVOLVED"' I been on an ED visa for two years without going to one class doing it threw an agent, It is buying a visa and the stamp is real as they give you receipts from immigration so like it or not Immigration is making a lot of money issuing these visas threw visa agents as you can go to any visa agent in any corner in Pattaya and they all advertise ED visa no class needed for 30-50,000bht depending on the agent Now do you think immigration doesn't know about these visa agents...Hmmmmmmmm

It's posts like yours that are read by you know who that will bury you............coffee1.gif

• Like 1

I don't actually think most retirees on 800K plan actually spend that much annually per person.

Very difficult to say:

- There are retirees who live alone in a small apart of a Soi Buakhao guesthouse and who probably don't have half of 800k to spend by year;

- There are retirees who are married, have wife & children live in a nice house, have a car (or 2), go play golf & eat nice restaurant,... and spend easily 200k/month;

How much is the average? I don't know, but 800k is only 67k/month...

Many retired expats own condos, so no rent.

It it difficult to say.

I am saying.

In my opinion the majority of retired expats don't actually spend that much annually.

• Like 1

Believe me, its over. The agents have the same problems at this moment. The money under the table is refused in this times - immigration officers are much to much scared about the military at his moment. Try it next time with your agent and you will see i not talk BS. Better prepare for where you can live elsewhere in asia.

Normally you right, but since a few weeks, nothing is normal anymore. Nothing what works for years function anymore.

Edited by AsienExpat
  • Like 1