Can anyone explain the anti-American sentiment to me?

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I really like American but the problem is sometimes they get pissed very quick for anything. I have visited both USA and Canada unfortunately most of news in both countries is about local happenings, not seen many news about Europe, etc. They are very busy working hard and making money. Regarding politics they may have the best intention when they attach Iraq, Afghanistan etc but the problem is they do not know the local culture so they always mess up things and when they get killed they just finish the idea of being there and make the things right. Well hope for the best

From my experience, Americans that don't travel outside the country, including my friends god bless them, are thicker than a stack of bricks when it comes to World Events and what is really happening in other countries. What they get is sound bites from the US Main Stream Media which, nowadays, is little more than a communication outlet for the White House and Congress. The average America is getting tired of endless 'police actions and military 'power projection' overseas (check the Gallup polls), they do support the troops that carry out foreign policy decisions (they don't blame the troops themselves), but overall they are pretty ignorant about the "Big Picture". Expats who can drop their own nationalistic biases, who have their eyes and minds open, can see an accurate picture of World Events. Just compare what you know is happening in Thailand, right now, with what is being reported by the MSM overseas, especially in the US. Just think about it for awhile.

Wish I had a baht for every time I heard somebody say something annoying or mean since I was, oh, 5 years old. Butch up.

No worries there. My son told each of them that he doesn't believe in God, he believes in science. He also told them that he respects their beliefs, but that he wasn't worried about being damned to hell because there isn't one. Then, he told them to have a nice day and walked off.

The difference between living here and living in Thailand is that I'm not expected to convert to Buddhism there. I'm a farang and they don't feel the need to change what I believe. I'm not a sheeple. I don't follow the herd. That's frowned upon here in white bread suburbia. I'm not saying they don't have the right to believe what they want, they just take the guilt and shaming a little further than I like.

And I'm not wearing rose colored glasses. I know what I'm getting into. I have all you nice people here on TV to prepare me, right? biggrin.png

Why do you care so much what somebody else expects you to do? I don't. Let 'em expect all they want while I do and think as I please w/o a second thought. Seems you're much too sensitive.

Anyway, the USA is quite a diverse country: nobody's been forcing you to stay in the Bible belt. Move to Monterey Park, LA., and you'll think you're living in Taiwan. I first became seriously acquainted w/ Asians when working in the SF Bay Area and in SF proper. Fact, I lived near Chinatown, worked out at the Chinatown Y, shopped there, and hung out in North Beach coffeehouses & blues bars. Most enjoyable. No danger of conversion to Christianity there, lol.

... at first I was going to say, I don't understand what you mean...

I have been to US 3 times for a few months at a time, been travelling for over 30 years, and been around ASIA for 8

I don't have any [real] problems with Americans....

But I have observed and listened to many people comments, from around the world

Then I remebered the girl "model" from the World Cup -

she was quoted as enjoying shooting wild animals - followed by "next, maybe a few Americans..."

I had no idea why, especially young, Belgians would have a problem with Americans (Maybe I will research that one day??)

And reading your post I could answer by saying that many people think Americans live in a "bubble"

(Recently an American replied to my post about gap years - his reply was about Americans only,
without a thought of the rest of the world... (bubble)

Their are 360,000,000 ish Americans - 7 Billion people in the world (1.6 Billion speaking English to a 'fair' degree))

To move on to your points in your post:

Europe is often seen [by Americans] as a small tourist place with small governments, with the infamous line

"It's Tuesday so it must be Italy" (I have spent many, many, weeks in Italy and haven't begun to see all of the 'real' Italy)

Americans always say for example "Paris France" rather than Paris
(This is a minor irritation to the French who know Paris is more famous than the American one - so should have the respect of being called: Paris)

But then, more importantly, the culture of many countries is that "scantily clad" people is an insult to their culture/tradition and/or religion...

(Including Thailand, RE: Beach wear, on the street)

If you are going to tell them different, is your problem - "when in Rome"

I was in a bar a few years back and an American (Of good education and maybe 30 years of age)

was shouting really loudly ... about himself...

I actually turned to him just say would he mind lowering his voice, but on seeing his bare muscled, arms,
I decided he was not going to listen to REASON - he notice my reluctance and laughed, even louder,

where upon his friends told him that he was "a bit Loud" [even for an American]

This shouting loudly, is NOT wanted by the rest of the world!
(They don't want to know your life story, or how important, you are)

Whoever introduced this False confidence got it [culturally] wrong

It is "reverse Psychology", and is [seen as] False modesty - by everyone (outside the bubble)

I know that Americans like to be positive with phases like (Loud) "How you doing today"

and "you have a great day now"

(To perfect strangers...) Again this is seen as false/insincere by the rest of the world

You may say - so why should we [Americans] change!

... because you are actually part of the world village,

and nature (and psychographics) demands you join, ADAPT, and respect

(Not the other way around...)

When I was young, I and most of my friends, hated Americans mainly because of Vietnam.

But when I visited them at home, I changed to thinking they are really nice people...

and Not loud....???

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Who's louder and more obnoxious, Chinese or Americans?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hmmmm good question. Chinese definitely louder, but for me (as I do not speak any Chinese dialect) Americans more obnoxious because most of what comes out of their mouths is rubbish even after you edit out every second word which is 'like'. "It's like way better in the states cause it's like we do it like this way like real like".

For those of you with a bias toward Americans, if you travel, consider taking a trip to the US. Start in Los Angles, travel up the coast to Washington State, then across the North to the Great Lakes, drop down and tour the interior, then down to Texas and across to Florida. From Florida travel up the East Coast to Maine. After you're finished, recheck your biases. America is an incredibly diverse place with a multitude of different dialects and attitudes. Generalizations are just that - generalizations.

And the excessive use of the word 'like' is a dialect. One of many, and it's one that has developed relatively recently in a certain sub-culture of Americans.

Edited by connda

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hmmmm good question. Chinese definitely louder, but for me (as I do not speak any Chinese dialect) Americans more obnoxious because most of what comes out of their mouths is rubbish even after you edit out every second word which is 'like'. "It's like way better in the states cause it's like we do it like this way like real like".

For those of you with a bias toward Americans, if you travel, consider taking a trip to the US. Start in Los Angles, travel up the coast to Washington State, then across the North to the Great Lakes, drop down and tour the interior, then down to Texas and across to Florida. From Florida travel up the East Coast to Maine. After you're finished, recheck your biases. America is an incredibly diverse place with a multitude of different dialects and attitudes. Generalizations are just that - generalizations.

the fact that a gallup poll taken in 2003 found that 70% of americans believed that saddam hussein was responsible for 9-11 has kinda convinced a lot of us that there is no need for that.

Wish I had a baht for every time I heard somebody say something annoying or mean since I was, oh, 5 years old. Butch up.

No worries there. My son told each of them that he doesn't believe in God, he believes in science. He also told them that he respects their beliefs, but that he wasn't worried about being damned to hell because there isn't one. Then, he told them to have a nice day and walked off.

The difference between living here and living in Thailand is that I'm not expected to convert to Buddhism there. I'm a farang and they don't feel the need to change what I believe. I'm not a sheeple. I don't follow the herd. That's frowned upon here in white bread suburbia. I'm not saying they don't have the right to believe what they want, they just take the guilt and shaming a little further than I like.

And I'm not wearing rose colored glasses. I know what I'm getting into. I have all you nice people here on TV to prepare me, right? biggrin.png

Why do you care so much what somebody else expects you to do? I don't. Let 'em expect all they want while I do and think as I please w/o a second thought. Seems you're much too sensitive.

Anyway, the USA is quite a diverse country: nobody's been forcing you to stay in the Bible belt. Move to Monterey Park, LA., and you'll think you're living in Taiwan. I first became seriously acquainted w/ Asians when working in the SF Bay Area and in SF proper. Fact, I lived near Chinatown, worked out at the Chinatown Y, shopped there, and hung out in North Beach coffeehouses & blues bars. Most enjoyable. No danger of conversion to Christianity there, lol.

Go to North Hollywood. It has a large Thai population. In places you'd think you're in Bangkok, except there aren't many small motorcycles and the weather is a heck of a lot better.

• Like 1

the fact that a gallup poll taken in 2003 found that 70% of americans believed that saddam hussein was responsible for 9-11 has kinda convinced a lot of us that there is no need for that.

This is 2014. Thing change including attitudes. Go back to my post number 424. I explained why Americans develop their perceptions. And unless you travel across the US, you'll never understand. You'll cling to your bias. And I'm OK with that -- I've been around enough that I can even understand why you cling to your bias. No problem. Exploring reality is a choice. Remaining ignorant is a choice. Up to you.

You're not alone, believe me. Walk away and let everyone fend for themselves.

Many Americans don't travel overseas too much because the USA has everything, no need to go elsewhere.

like the Nana Plaza in Little Rock, Arkansas and Walking Street in Duluth, Minnesota tongue.png

ahahahhahaaaa

This is 2014. Thing change including attitudes. Go back to my post number 424. I explained why Americans develop their perceptions. And unless you travel across the US, you'll never understand. You'll cling to your bias. And I'm OK with that -- I've been around enough that I can even understand why you cling to your bias. No problem. Exploring reality is a choice. Remaining ignorant is a choice. Up to you.

They dont change that fast. i lived in america for years, have travelled there constantly, have many friends there and am well aware of the realities. huge numbers americans were slavish believers in vietnam, iraq 1, iraq2, nicaragua etc etc and are more brainwashed every year. the fact that a lying criminal like george bush could be re-elected and palin could actually be taken seriously enough to run for vice president is evidence enough that there is something extremely wrong with a large proportion of the society. the fact that a war criminal like henry kissinger or dick cheney is regularly consulted by mainstream american media as authorities on foreign affairs or a senile simplistic liar like reagan is looked on as a great president turns the stomachs of sane people.

No problem. I understand where you're coming from.

Strange thread to be honest, but a lot of the negativity does not relate to WWII as the OP commented on.

In WWII the Americans actually provided what they 'were' good at at the time, unhindered industrial and military support that turned the tide of the war, a fact that saved a lot of Europeans and Asians alike.

However a lot of the bad sentiments about the USA and American foreign policy now, has come about in all the years since the end of WWII. Since then the USA has been involved in, but never won or turned the tide of any conflict again?

I couldn't tell you why, but i do know that many American nationals i work with, expect to be respected by the fact that they are the sole world power that controls the world and kick's ass when countries or leaders step out of line. Although the fact is they don't, either kick ass or deal with leaders correctly. Ask any of them that i know, and they will tell you they are the best nation at just about anything (car manufacturing, energy, farming, fast food smile.png, electronics, IT) when in fact they aren't. Yes there are a lot of sharp minds like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates etc. but all their manufacturing is made off the back of low cost, hard working regions of the world like Asia.

All i do know is that there are a lot expectations from an American overseas, they seem to believe that they much be respected because of this, and because of that. If it started with the end of the WWII then i say its about time they woke up.........because 80 years later, they have screwed up more than they have fixed.......and ultimately they are no better than anyone else in the world today.

Time for them to be a little more low profile....

they have been told from birth that they are the indispensable nation, the light of freedom in an evil world and in many cases, chosen by god to lead the world to a bright future of freedom and prosperity. so many are incapable of seeing themselves as others do.

And the excessive use of the word 'like' is a dialect. One of many, and it's one that has developed relatively recently in a certain sub-culture of Americans.

I've done that trip you talk about.

and there are a helluva lot of ignorant people when you come off the coasts.

• Like 1

I've been to America about 3 times and travelled extensively throughout the World running into many Americans. I'm constantly appalled by the exhibitions of self-importance, Christian fundamentalism and plain old stupidity. For example, while in America I was asked on more than one occasion how long it took to get there on the bus, and they weren't joking! Just the other day I had to yell at 6 young Americans to shut the f#@k up as they were so loud and obnoxious they pissed off everyone in the cafe.

It seems you have left out some key details in your rant....

Oh, Blimey!

Oops!facepalm.gif

Above was actually a posting error.

After I posted it my internet went on the Fritz, no offense to the scarily powerful German world soccer series winners.

What I meant to post:

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Oh, Blimey!

Oops!facepalm.gif

Above was actually a posting error.

After I posted it my internet went on the Fritz, no offense to the scarily powerful German world soccer series winners.

What I meant to post:

Aaaaagggbhhhhn, no more please. I really couldn't stand it and had to switch off!

You can get misinformed people in any country - it is not too hard. My Thai language teacher was could not believe that penguins and polar bears do not live in the same place and play with each other.

Edited by cacruden

Not sure if this is in the right forum, but...

Always amazed at the anti-American sentiment I get, specifically from a significant proportions of Canadians, western Europeans, Kiwis and Aussies.

A few examples: last year found a French couple lost in Bangkok. I guided them to their destination (a ferry stop on the river) and on the way mentioned I'm from USA. They responded, "We are from France, it is in Europe, a continent which is made up of many different countries. France is one of these countries." As if being American trumped the fact that I was guiding them through the back alleys of SE Asia in their determination of my knowledge of world geography.

Likewise I recently came across an older Middle Eastern man drinking alcohol and accosting local (scantily clad) passersby on the street. I confronted him and said this was unacceptable, and later was told by a Kiwi neighbor that I had better mind my own business and return to the US. Strange that being American trumps my duty as a man, at least in this Kiwi's eyes, and stranger still that I rarely encounter such sentiment from people who "should" give it such as Chinese or Japanese or Vietnamese or the like.

So can someone explain to me how this came about. Was it around during WWII? A more recent phenomenon arising from bad elements of US foreign policy? Just underlying bias going from way back? Very strange to me though I of course keep in mind the advice:

Lots of the opinions are created by the leftist press in Europe and Australia. Almost every journalist is placed far left on the political scale and capitalist America becomes a target of their unjust reporting. Another factor is the small man complex. Almost EVERY significant invention in the twentieth century originates from USA. Envy plays a huge part here. "Ok, you invented internet, GPS etc, but you can't name 5 rivers in Albania. You must be stupid."

I think internet was invented in Finland!

I was on an elevator in Vegas and there was a younger couple. I saw them looking at the elevator regulation sign. I joked that it probably cost us $ 10,000 tax dollars a year. We laughed and I said heck I don't even know if you're American. They laughed and said no, we're British. I asked them how they like the Americans, and right away the gal said friendly!

Quality Brits who could afford to travel to the USA. I've met many nice, intelligent Brits--in Britain, where most successful Brits stay. So, like most 'Mercans, I once had a good opinion of Brits.

But then I found that here in Thailand and on this forum (unlike other int'l forums) we mostly just get the dregs. There should be a special subforum devoted to Brit crime in Thailand.

post-14882-0-44629000-1323362380_thumb.j

Now, I did meet one nice ol' working class Brit bloke, but he could only talk about "birds" and died of AIDS after boasting he never used condoms. Another Brit, most intelligent, urbane, and civilized, actually spoke understandable English rather than the usual dialect. But after all he had finished Oxford. Wish I could meet more of his type--he's dead now, too--but the chance is so remote that me, I'd no longer bother giving the time of day to any Brit or Ozzie I happened to encounter here. I avoid them whenever possible--except for the Scots, but, unlike Gordon Brown, most can be difficult to understand--for 'Mercans. wink.png

I much prefer the Germans--all around better, speak better English than the Brits, except noisier. I count some of them among my best friends, who've been helpful and actually know something besides footie. I've met some great Swiss and Scandinavians, too.

So, OP, hope your question is now fully answered. Brits, and to a lesser degree Ozzies, consider this their very own private forum, their turf. Hence we're constantly hearing about ol' blighty and prices are given in GBP. You can assume it's warfare here--and you're vastly outnumbered.

Expect pages and pages of ignorant, leftist, hypocritical America bashing at the slightest excuse--which you've given them w/ this topic. It's always been so and always will be here.

About the best you can hope for is the fun of taking potshots when the opportunity arises and have a laugh as I do at their provincialism and whining. Fortunately the mods delete the worst America-bashing posts, and sometimes, in the best of all outcomes, ban the posters. Hence the name-calling has pretty much been stopped and Brits don't get to clap and cheer anymore whenever some American happens to bite the dust in Thailand. So that's progress, innit? smile.png

Edited by JSixpack
  • Like 1

"Why would we see the same anti Russian or anti Chinese sentiment? They're not constantly sticking their noses, often violently, into every bodies business as though they own the world.

And we do see plenty of anti Muslim sentiment."

Sure they do, they're the big bullies of Eastern Europe and Asia, respectively.

"So because you got some answers you didn't like you're going to bed?"

Nah ran out of beers so took a nap. Just heard the monks start singing which means the beer shop is open again. facepalm.gif But still curious about if it existed before WWII. Guess we'll never know.

I don't think you can answer that question about existing before WW2.

There simply wasn't a lot of foreign travel and interaction with other nations on personal levels.

I think that the idea of the "obnoxious, loud American" didn't really come about until the jet age, which was about the same time as Vietnam.

Mainly it's the hypocrisy of their foreign policy. They preach democracy but support some of the worst dictators on the planet and bring down democracies when they refuse to bend over for uncle Sam. They are dangerous and divisive and rain down death and destruction on anyone they fancy. They have turned Iraq and Libya in to hells on earth. Their governments, of whatever ilk, are elected (usually) fascists! Must stop now, my veins are popping out.

Iraq and Libya were hells on earth long before the Americans got involved.

Libyans threw out their own government without US help, and Iraq is very much worse off.