What documents to keep in car while driving?

Sorry don't think it's law last time I read upon it it was a requirement as follows :-

Copy of Blue book if hire car the hire document.

Driving Licence, I carry a copy too in case I forget me wallet. facepalm.gif

Copy of Insurance and copy if you have another insurance other than the compulsory government road insurance.

Road Tax disc placed on front windscreen which also shows you have compulsory insurance, no insurance you won't get the disc.

Farangie required to carry copy of passport with picture number of and page with extension or visa.

Only had to show these once in 10 years but that doesn't stop me from having these in car or bike.

Edited by Kwasaki

was stopped 6 months ago(railway street ,under Motorway 7 viaduct -bridge in Pattaya)

Had tax sticker ,copy of blue book,driver license ,copy of passport +extension of stay.

After seen all this ,he asked me 400 bht.

I ask why...he inspected my tires (all as new)...came back and again asked my driver license .

I suspected he was going to keep it and did only show it ,did not give it and closed my windows .

He started getting angry,but i was friendly and was 100% ok with regulations.

He then asked for the invoice of the car .....which i did not have with me (in my safe )

That moment my wife jumps out of the car and walks to the other police man sitting on a little table under the bridge,

and she pays 400bht. The copper next to my car said "this is Thailand " i said " Cammoy" and drove away.

Since my wife doesn't want to come near that street ,that is her solution .

So i learned : if police ask for money ,just give it ,smile and continue your way,then start swearing for 10 minutes,lol.coffee1.gif

Wait a minute!! The blue book is the title to the car. You can keep a copy in the car, but the actual blue book should be kept at home if secure, or better yet in your safe deposit box.

If you leave it in the car, the car thieves will love you!

Simple List

Blue book

Insurance documents

Tax sticker

Very simple. smile.png

A photocopy of the Blue Book will (normally) do, as Tax sticker is proof of tax paid and mandatory insurance valid – insurance documents (or copy) if extended insurance – not advisable to keep original Blue Book in car, if car stolen (many Thais may not have the Blue Book, as it sits a guarantee somewhere for a loan)...
If driving in a rented car, the rental-contract (or a copy).

My missus is scarily efficient.

She had my driving license copied and on the back a miniaturised main passport page printed.

This credit card sized object was then laminated sturdily.

It is ideal.

ps about getting away with documents

i once gave my VIP card for the tyre repair shop and was waved in as a VIP at the University :-)

I only ever take copy of passport, driving licence nothing else, blue book is still with the bank.

You should keep a copy of the blue book in the car as proof of ownership even if it is with the bank/finance company.

Why is this? I have never seen the blue book let alone a copy of it, and never been asked for it and I have been stopped well over a hundred times, both in cars/trucks and bikes and have never been asked for it ever.

MYKTHEMIN, you conclude that since you have never ever been asked to show your blue book copy that you therefore

don't need to carry it -- such thinking is embarrassingly silly. I've been driving for 25 years and always carry a copy of my

insurance policy with me. If I concluded that because I've never been asked to show it, that therefore no need to carry it,

I would only be inviting problems.

In your home country if you finance a vehicle through the bank and the bank hold's your original vehicle title, do you just

pretend to be clueless when the police ask for your registration? Doesn't seem very bright for an adult.

If you live in Bangkok or one of the main tourist areas, when you get stopped by the police on a motorbike or driving a car,

they often assume that you are a tourist and the vehicle is rented. With a rented vehicle there is no way you'd have a copy

of the green book/blue book. It would be ludicrous for the police to ask for proof of ownership of a rented vehicle.

It is normal procedure (as in your home country) for the police to ask for driver's license and (copy of) green book or blue

book as a routine check. So, if you are not a tourist and you own the vehicle, why in h*ll would you want to gamble on the

police not following standard procedure? Is it some kind of ego trip?

So many farang come to live in LOS and then they somehow want to play juvenile games with routine procedures.

Boggles the mind.

I'm glad I boggled your mind, clearly a very small mind!! It is not a requirement in my home country to carry anything.

I only ever take copy of passport, driving licence nothing else, blue book is still with the bank.

You should keep a copy of the blue book in the car as proof of ownership even if it is with the bank/finance company.

Why is this? I have never seen the blue book let alone a copy of it, and never been asked for it and I have been stopped well over a hundred times, both in cars/trucks and bikes and have never been asked for it ever.

I've been ticketed for not having a copy of the blue book. You need it. I keep a copy in all my vehicles now. The blue and green books stay at the bank.

Cops always ask for driving licence. (bai khap khee / bai anuyat ) . Occasionally they ask for a copy of the registration ( samnao / samnao tabien rot / tabien rot ) . I have never been asked for insurance documents although I have them in case of an accident.

MYKTHEMIN, you conclude that since you have never ever been asked to show your blue book copy that you therefore

don't need to carry it -- such thinking is embarrassingly silly. I've been driving for 25 years and always carry a copy of my

insurance policy with me. If I concluded that because I've never been asked to show it, that therefore no need to carry it,

In your home country if you finance a vehicle through the bank and the bank hold's your original vehicle title, do you just

pretend to be clueless when the police ask for your registration? Doesn't seem very bright for an adult.

If you live in Bangkok or one of the main tourist areas, when you get stopped by the police on a motorbike or driving a car,

they often assume that you are a tourist and the vehicle is rented. With a rented vehicle there is no way you'd have a copy

of the green book/blue book. It would be ludicrous for the police to ask for proof of ownership of a rented vehicle.

It is normal procedure (as in your home country) for the police to ask for driver's license and (copy of) green book or blue

book as a routine check. So, if you are not a tourist and you own the vehicle, why in h*ll would you want to gamble on the

So many farang come to live in LOS and then they somehow want to play juvenile games with routine procedures.

Boggles the mind.

I'm glad I boggled your mind, clearly a very small mind!! It is not a requirement in my home country to carry anything.

Ok, I got it. You're from Greenland, there are only 3 cars in the whole country so no need for proof of ownership.

Seriously, if your home country doesn't require you to carry anything, then also no need for license plates, right?

Evidently, there are no car thieves and everybody trusts everybody.

Maybe you could tell us where is this land of paradise, I think I'd like to go live in such a heavenly place.

Boggles the mind.

Ok, I got it. You're from Greenland, there are only 3 cars in the whole country so no need for proof of ownership.

Seriously, if your home country doesn't require you to carry anything, then also no need for license plates, right?

Maybe you could tell us where is this land of paradise, I think I'd like to go live in such a heavenly place.

United Kingdom

was stopped 6 months ago(railway street ,under Motorway 7 viaduct -bridge in Pattaya)

Had tax sticker ,copy of blue book,driver license ,copy of passport +extension of stay.

After seen all this ,he asked me 400 bht.

I ask why...he inspected my tires (all as new)...came back and again asked my driver license .

I suspected he was going to keep it and did only show it ,did not give it and closed my windows .

He started getting angry,but i was friendly and was 100% ok with regulations.

He then asked for the invoice of the car .....which i did not have with me (in my safe )

That moment my wife jumps out of the car and walks to the other police man sitting on a little table under the bridge,

and she pays 400bht. The copper next to my car said "this is Thailand " i said " Cammoy" and drove away.

Since my wife doesn't want to come near that street ,that is her solution .

So i learned : if police ask for money ,just give it ,smile and continue your way,then start swearing for 10 minutes,lol.coffee1.gif

You made a mistake there I think. I usually ask why also but then I start to get the price down. Once I tried to avoid the police and drive away and the police went mad and asked me 1000 baht. I said my apologies and and sawadee them ko tood etc.. Got away with 200 baht. This has to happen quickly and you need to show regret. There should not be argue at all but you can ask why it is normal.

Simple List

Blue book

Insurance documents

Tax sticker

Very simple. smile.png

Have never and would never keep the Blue Book in the car. Anyway when you buy a new car there is no Blue Book until such times as you get the White Plates and if you have the documents transferred from BKK, for instance, to another city so you can have local plates that can be quite a long time.

Edited by Anon999

Boggles the mind.

United Kingdom

True, you have 7 days to produce the required documents at your local police station. It has always been like that.

Edited by Anon999

I was stopped at a CM checkpoint and asked for DR and blue book registration. He showed me in both written Thai and English that it's 1000B fine for the absence of either in the car and if you don't have the registration he will take your DR until you pay the fine at local police or pay him 500B and return of DR to me (as in my case)

Did not ask for proof of insurance but that doesn't mean it's not required. Not sure on that document being present...

CB

I only take copies of the blue book with me.

The original stays in the safe.

Agreed, I even only have copies of the insurance documents.

Only originals being the tax, and driving licence in my wallet.

Also the insurance paper that lists the telephone numbers to call..... I hope the guy can negotiate with whoever is trying to get money!