James Garner of ‘Maverick,’ ‘Rockford Files’ Dies at 86

Lite Beer

James Garner of ‘Maverick,’ ‘Rockford Files’ Dies at 86
Richard Natale

Amiable actor James Garner, whose moderately successful film career was eclipsed by two extraordinarily popular television series, “Maverick” and “The Rockford Files,” has died, according to reports. He was 86.

Like many popular leading men of Hollywood’s heyday, Garner boasted all-American good looks and a winning personality that carried him through comedy and drama alike. He was one of the first of TV’s leading men to cross over into films in the ’60s with such popular movies as “The Thrill of It All” and “The Americanization of Emily.” But he had his greatest impact in television, first on “Maverick” in the ’50s and then in the ’70s on “The Rockford Files,” for which he won an Emmy in 1977. He later appeared in several quality telepics including “Promise,” “My Name Is Bill W.” and “Barbarians at the Gate,” as well as the occasional strong feature such as “Victor/Victoria” and “Murphy’s Romance,” for which he captured his sole Oscar nomination for lead actor.

Garner won two Emmys and racked up a total of 15 nominations.

Read More: http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/james-garner-of-maverick-rockford-files-dies-at-86-1201265361/

--Variety 2014-07-20

I think I have seen every episode of the Rockford Files. He was a great actor.

Together with Columbo, probably the two best TV series of the mid seventies-early eighties, and two great male TV stars.

I am not a critic, but I have to agree with you Columbo was the other one that I never missed.

Never understood why they never gave him a performance Pontiac Firebird in his iconic series......sad.png

But, it was good TV and he did his stuff great. Must be something special to pass on knowing half the planet knows who you were.......thumbsup.gif RIP guy.

Never understood why they never gave him a performance Pontiac Firebird in his iconic series......sad.png

But, it was good TV and he did his stuff great. Must be something special to pass on knowing half the planet knows who you were.......thumbsup.gif RIP guy.

Excellent point. His 77 Firebird 350 was intentional. He was always supposed to be the unassuming, kind of bumbling PI who lived in a trailer, but somehow always got his guy. A lot like Columbo, but a little cooler. thumbsup.gif

**whoa! just googled that and evidently he did use some Firebird 400s but they intentionally made them look like ordinary ones. Again, that was the image they wanted.

http://www.oldcarmemories.com/content/view/65/1/

1977fb-esprit-1.jpg

Edited by keemapoot

Excellent point. His 77 Firebird 350 was intentional. He was always supposed to be the unassuming, kind of bumbling PI who lived in a trailer, but somehow always got his guy. A lot like Columbo, but a little cooler. thumbsup.gif

**whoa! just googled that and evidently he did use some Firebird 400s but they intentionally made them look like ordinary ones. Again, that was the image they wanted.

Just going from memory here, his ride was a Firebird Esprit, the basic ride....

Must admit I can only remember the early (70-74) "bull nose" he drove.

^Yup, you are right. The image was of a cheapskate, dorky but kinda cool, so they gave him a cheaper firebird. biggrin.png

Anybody remember how he used to ask his guests to lunch and show up at the hot dog stand every time?

And tacos. Jimmy was always eating yellow paper wrapped tacos. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

^Yup, you are right. The image was of a cheapskate, dorky but kinda cool, so they gave him a cheaper firebird. biggrin.png

Anybody remember how he used to ask his guests to lunch and show up at the hot dog stand every time?

And tacos. Jimmy was always eating yellow paper wrapped tacos. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

Hmmmmmmmm, reminds me of USA drag strip holidays eating chili dogs, yep I am English with V8 stuff that cannot be removed from my blood..........Thankfully........thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

I grew up watching him as Maverick but my favorite thing he did was a comedy movie called "The Wheeler Dealers" in the early 1960s. He was a good actor and very funny. He will be missed.

David

Edited by Genericnic

1977fb-esprit-1.jpg

Not sure, but I think I remember that the license plate for Rockford's car was 853-OKG. I'm a big Garner fan. Grew up in primary school watching Maverick and The Great Escape. Saw the short lived Nichols and The Skin Game in high school. Remember Rockford from college and graduate school. Rockford TV movies in the 90s. And Space Cowboys in the new century. He was around a long time. And, now, come to think of it, I'm not all that far behind myself.

1977fb-esprit-1.jpg

I could be wrong but that is a 76 six pot............whistling.gif

• Like 1

Saddened by this as he was so charismatic. Loved the "files". Still remember the theme and messages on the answering machine at the beginning of each episode.

He body must have suffered badly as you can see his limps during the shows run 30+ yrs ago.

Rip rockfish.