South Korea ferry boss Yoo Byung-eun found dead

webfact

South Korea ferry boss Yoo Byung-eun found dead

SEOUL: -- SOUTH Korean police say they have found a body of a fugitive billionaire businessman sought over April’s ferry disaster that left more than 300 people dead or missing.

Police officer Wu Hyung-ho told a televised news conference on Tuesday that the body was found at a site in southern South Korea on June 12. He said results of DNA and fingerprint tests showed they matched those of Yoo Byung-eun.

Authorities believe Yoo was the owner the ferry and that his alleged corruption may have contributed to its sinking.

Police and prosecutors have seeking Yoo for months and had offered a $US500,000 ($A540,979) reward for tips about him.

Yoo, head of the now-defunct predecessor of the ferry’s current operator, Chonghaejin, allegedly still controlled the company through a complex web of holding companies in which his children and close associates are large shareholders.

Full story: http://www.news.com.au/world/south-korea-ferry-boss-yoo-byungeun-found-dead/story-fndir2ev-1226997235757

news.com.au.jpg
-- News.com.au 2014-07-22

Are those of you so quick to condemn this man sure that you have every single loophole in the complex webs of your lives, that would allow tragedy to enter, closed?

I think those who are condemning him would contend that he was a LONG way from some obscure, inadvertent, unrecognized role in this... You can argue that he was or wasn't guilty, but the notion that his involvement was too complex or remote for him to understand or grasp responsibility for seems very very unlikely and a pretty lame defense under the circumstances.

• Like 1

Dead?..are you sure about that one? If he paid-off enough Koreans and whomever else to change his identity and then just settle some where in retirement...haha dead. Just cause the paper said so...haha..cause Korean authorities said so..haha...I would need absolute proof before I would believe anything face-saving Koreans would claim..Korean authorities have been caught lying so many times...I wouldn't believe them if most of them would simply say, "good morning"

The rich make so much money exploiting the poor and abusing the system (literally setup for them to abuse), when something like this happens and it's almost certainly the result of cost-cutting on safety, to feel empathy for his plight seems like misdirected emotion at best and perhaps dubious / poor taste at worst.

All the rich people rolling dice with peoples lives to increase their profit margins will sympathise, but I can't understand why we should? Those children didn't need to die. That was a horror show of incompetence. The only kids who survived were the ones that didn't listen to Authority, if I remember correctly.