Malaysia Airlines MH17 tragedy to affect Thai tourism: Official

webfact

Nothing to do with 6 months of street protests , Marshall law , military coup and confusing Visa rules of course. Must be that plane that crashed going to Malaysia. Makes sense to me

Well if a 30 day tourist visa given to you when you arrive in Thailand is confusing to you. I guess it would make sense to you. I have some property with a water view in Florida I could let you have cheap.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would guess that most tourists realise that they are more likely to be killed in a road accident in Thailand than on a plane.

Nice try.

That is true the world over. The chance of dying in a plane crash are much less than in a car.

Keep on with the feeble attempt at bashing.wai.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nothing to do with 6 months of street protests , Marshall law , military coup and confusing Visa rules of course. Must be that plane that crashed going to Malaysia. Makes sense to me

Well if a 30 day tourist visa given to you when you arrive in Thailand is confusing to you. I guess it would make sense to you. I have some property with a water view in Florida I could let you have cheap.

I didnt mean I was confused of course , i meant other stupid people . Now tell me more about this property in Florida

It won't have any effect whatsoever.

However, I can tell you now I will never fly with Malaysian airlines.

It could have been any airline from any Country it sounds as if you are singling out Malaysian airlines do you really think that these terrorists thought okay boys this is a Malay airline lets blow it out the sky !!

agreed at the time of the incident there was an Air India flight 4 miles away and a Singapore Airlines flight 6 miles away.

This is crazy .... instead of mourning with the rest of the world this tragedy which killed around 300 peoples , Thailand is thinking about its tourists situation. how nice is that .bah.gif

Same when the Philippines was struck. Thailand spent a small 'tip' as financial help.

Finally they found a scapegoat to blame for their dwindling tourist arrivals.

May the victims rest in peace

"May the victims rest in peace." Yeah right. So caring that you just exploited them as an excuse to slip in a Thai bash (and a dumb one at that).
  • Like 2

What's with the hysteria against this lady who is merely stating the obvious ?

Read the article, please, she's not the saying that the tourist situation at the moment is due to the crash, that would be 'scapegoating' indeed (not to mention stupid). All she's saying is that the crash i likely to affect tourism and not only in Thailand but in all of Southeast Asia.

She's probably right, too, although when we see how quickly one piece of news covers the one just before, it's likely that high season will be just as high as before.

no relation at all with the actual politic weather in thailand and this lamentable catastrophe.

europe should send a few kiloton bombs to the ukraine russian border to kill a few assasins, and then say sorry we didnt mean it...... hopefully we are too civilized to do that

coffee1.gif

Edited by VINCENT2012

I am Dutch. I have taken this particular flight several times before. As it happen ALL flights from Londen, Amsterdam etc. to the whole SEA region travel over this particular area of the Ukraine.

Although a slight shiver went down my spine ( as in: "jezus, I might have been on that flight") not ONCE did it make me think of scrapping Thailand of the list of destinations because it simply has nothing to do with that: It has to do with the dangers of flying over a conflict area where the local cowboys play with toys that are far to powerful for them to handle.

Now that all flights - all be it belatedly- have been rerouted there is nothing at all to worry about.

They will have to finda more feasable scapegoat for the dwindling numbers, I'm afraid!

I have flown dozens of times from London to Bangkok and back (on BA and EVA). I usually follow the moving route map on the plane. On every occasion we have flown over Batumi on the Georgian coast of the Black Sea and east-west across the middle of the Black Sea (once we had a terrible storm over the middle of the Black Sea, it was very scary). Thus we have never flown over Ukraine. On a map of recent flights over Ukraine shown on a Bloomberg video yesterday, most of the routes over Eastern Ukraine were north-south routes, thus not SE Asian routes. I would agree that the crash will deter European travellers to SE Asia. Flights routinely go over Afghanistan and Pakistan. Europeans can travel long-haul to America with less risk of political violence. Shoe-bombers can hopefully be prevented at security!

PS. If the official really said that there were Scandinavians on board, that was a bit unprofessional (there were none on board).

look at the cargo list two dogs and birds ,why where birds on the flight ,yes thailand should look at clearing crime first cleaning up the act ,i do ask myself every time i go into the sea at north Pattaya how long will i live ,its gone from heaven clean sea in the 70 s to what looks like hell ,brown in coulor ,should someone check if its safe

" many of those who perished on flight MH17 were Dutch and Scandinavian, said Ponthip Hiranket, deputy president of the Tourism Council of Thailand (ICT) "

No Scandinavians on the list I saw on BBC

Maybe she thinks Germany & Belgium are part of Scandinavia - Geography wouldn't be one of her strengths, probably knows someone who was once important.

If i was the General she would be the next to be moved to an inactive post .

The country Scandinavia is big, included are Germany, Netherlands and Belgium. Right?

If the NCPO cracks down on the sex tourism, the drop in numbers would be enormous.

Edited by KamalaRider

Malaysian Airliner Tragedy To Affect Thai Tourism!

"I think it will not affect the overall situation of tourism in ASEAN region, even Thailand!

OK...I give up...which one is it...?

Yep, all they care about is the money. What an insulting article.

Meanwhile, from next month thousands of people will not be able to re-enter Thailand as they

are not 'proper' tourists, or are not 'worthy'. Stupidity reigns as usual.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I didnt mean I was confused of course , i meant other stupid people . Now tell me more about this property in Florida

Of course you didn't mean it was confusing to you. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Care to tell us who the people you were referring to are.

Also have a bridge in Brooklyn.cheesy.gif

Don't you just love it when some one calls you on your nonsense. Let us know how it is in high season not low season.

This is crazy .... instead of mourning with the rest of the world this tragedy which killed around 300 peoples , Thailand is thinking about its tourists situation. how nice is that . alt=bah.gif>

Thais always se;f centered over inflated sense of purpose and importance.

Of course you didn't mean it was confusing to you. cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>clap2.gif width=31 alt=clap2.gif>

Care to tell us who the people you were referring to are.

Also have a bridge in Brooklyn.cheesy.gif width=32 alt=cheesy.gif>

Don't you just love it when some one calls you on your nonsense. Let us know how it is in high season not low season.

I was actually trying to avoid an internet squabble mate that you seem so intent on , have a look at the Visa forum on this site and tell me there is no confusion. Now about that Bridge ?

Thai Airways has not even made it into the top 10 airlines globally....Cathay was the winner with a westerner at the head........not chinese!

If Thai carries on with Thai execs and top management.....they will surely be forced to shut down eventually............

This is crazy .... instead of mourning with the rest of the world this tragedy which killed around 300 peoples , Thailand is thinking about its tourists situation. how nice is that .bah.gif

I love Thailand and try to avoid being cynical. But, yes, they are hardly every concerned about the tragedies of others. This can be seen in how oblivious they are of things like Hitler by making joke shirts and joking around about the entire thing.

I am Dutch. I have taken this particular flight several times before. As it happen ALL flights from Londen, Amsterdam etc. to the whole SEA region travel over this particular area of the Ukraine.

Although a slight shiver went down my spine ( as in: "jezus, I might have been on that flight") not ONCE did it make me think of scrapping Thailand of the list of destinations because it simply has nothing to do with that: It has to do with the dangers of flying over a conflict area where the local cowboys play with toys that are far to powerful for them to handle.

Now that all flights - all be it belatedly- have been rerouted there is nothing at all to worry about.

They will have to finda more feasable scapegoat for the dwindling numbers, I'm afraid!

I did NOT think this was a bad headline. Traqedy usually does bring up the 'what-if's'..........and 'what does this mean for the rest of us.' I travel west to east. Outside of Russia shooting down the Air-Korea jet in the '80's I felt safe. Jealous on the short leg my European friends take versus my double that time sitting in a jet.

I had thought of changing and traveling over Asia-Europe, but not now. Flying over the middle east and now Ukraine with SAMs being held by these thugs will be a turkey shoot. Of interest to me.........guess who is the common demoninator on both of these tragedies?

A reason to avoid Thailand as tourist destination is also the increasing number of Russians there.

this is a very sad comment , russians are not responsible over their government policy , you cannnot blame the whole country for some decisions their president did .

Why do people call all former Soviet Union countries Russian.

There are loads of non Russian former Soviet countries persons here, Ukraine etc but some posters tar them all with the same brush.

My observation is only based on who I meet up with, but most of the old Soviet bloc do not mix with Thais or even fellow westerners in general, similar to Chinese as an example, the mix with their own kind in general.

If you are on Jomptien beach most westerners chat with each other and get along fine, very few of the old Soviet bloc mix with others. But that is Jomptien as an observation.

But after all it is all countries that make up the Thai tourists. whether they mix or not.

Good point. I think the simple answer is the language barrier. I suspect most Russians/Gorgians/Moldovans etc - to emphasise your point - do not have English or Thai as a second language. Whereas I play golf with Swedes/Danes/Germans/Dutch/Swiss and most of them speak better English than me!

• Like 1

Rerouted over Syria. Nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

What a crock of s(&^t!!! The dwindling tourist numbers is because of a self-inflicted event. The MH17 tragedy is unforgivable. But the Thai Tourism Officials are so desperate to deflect the cause of dwindling tourism numbers and find it soooo convenient to blame it on the shooting down of a civilian airplane over Ukraine. Not very smart - these tourism officials are....

Knowingly fly over a war zone, that is how responsible the Malaysian are. No other Asian airline who do that. Farang airlines might, for the sake of saving a few penny at the expense of human safety.