Thai farmers poorest in ASEAN

webfact

Thai farmers poorest in ASEAN

farmers-1-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai farmers are the poorest among other farmers in Asean countries with their net profit after rice sales falling to1,555.97 baht/ton.

Besides, production cost of Thai farmers is also the highest among other rice growing countries in ASEAN.

According to the survey of the Centre for International Trade Study of the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce, Thai farmers have the least profit from rice sales because of higher production cost.

It said production cost/ton of rice paid by Thai farmers is 9,763.40 baht while rice harvest yields 450 kilogrammes per rai.

They obtained 11,319.37 baht/ton from rice sale. After cost deduction Thai farmers earned just 1,555.97 baht as net profit from a ton of rice sold or 28,035.50 baht earning per year, or 51.08% less than Vietnamese farmers.

For Vietnamese farmers, the survey found that production cost is 4,070.76 baht/ton while rice yield is 900 kilogrammes/rai.

Vietnamese farmers get 7,215.50 baht/ton from rice sales. But after cost deduction, they earned 3,180.74 baht/ton from rice sales, or 54,217.23 baht per year.

Earnings of Thai farmers are also lower than Myanmar farmers.

It said Myanmar farmers have rice production cost of 7,121.76 baht/ton, but they get 10,605.86 baht/ton from rice sales. After cost, they still have 3,484.1 baht as profit, or 55.34% higher than Thai famers’ earnings.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thai-farmers-poorest-asean/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-07-22

One of our relatives sells fruit at a market. She has recently been buying mangosteen direct from the farmer at 3 baht per kilo !!! How does the farmer make anything at 3 baht per kilo The markets then sell it at 10-15 baht per kilo. The farmers have zero hope.

ps does anybody know what to do with the 20kg of mangosteen in my garage. We have eaten it till we can eat no more. Can I make jam, juice, wine, marmalade :D anything will do.

• Like 1

One of our relatives sells fruit at a market. She has recently been buying mangosteen direct from the farmer at 3 baht per kilo !!! How does the farmer make anything at 3 baht per kilo The markets then sell it at 10-15 baht per kilo. The farmers have zero hope.

ps does anybody know what to do with the 20kg of mangosteen in my garage. We have eaten it till we can eat no more. Can I make jam, juice, wine, marmalade biggrin.png anything will do.

Sell it all to TAT for selling one per tourist as a typical Thai product.

ps does anybody know what to do with the 20kg of mangosteen in my garage. We have eaten it till we can eat no more. Can I make jam, juice, wine, marmalade biggrin.png anything will do.

Ice cream or sorbet would be my choice. Just need a bigger freezer

"Thai farmers are the poorest among other farmers in Asean countries..."

Yet the Thai rice farmers continue to use the same methods, take the same subsidies, and believe the same bull about the next government scheme that will increase their profits, while getting poorer every year. They are either too proud or just plain too thick in the head to change their ways. The rest of the world is not buying Thai rice any more, except as a gourmet product. In a very short time the other ASEAN countries will be producing a higher quality product and be able to sell it for less money than Thai farmers can grow it.

This is just the tip of the iceberg. Thailand will fall behind in other industries, including tourism. Making it more difficult to get extended tourist visas is going to backfire very soon and once long term tourists and business entrepreneurs discover friendlier environments in other ASEAN countries,Thailand will reach a point from which it will never recover.

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 1

Poorest in Asean huh? and this with all the hand outs mind you, the village funds, the rice bonanza,

the debt moratorium the government bank cheap loans, where will they be WITHOUT all those

brakes I wonder? one conclusion comes to mind, those farmers simply doesn't know how to

manage their life, work and produce, all those things can be thought, but will they listen?

• Like 2

yingluck said the rice pledging scheme was aimed at helping rice farmers and the rising incomes of farmers would eventually stimulate the national economy.

Hmmm? While Birthday Boy was brokering rice deals in Dubai?

My take is that the rice pledging scheme was a way of taking money from the big rice traders and putting it in the hands of Pheu Thai. But hey what do I know?

• Like 1

Has any Thai government ever tried to show the farmers a better way? A forward thinking department of agriculture that holds meetings, and gives farmers alternate crops or a plan for farmers in certain regions grow different crops at different times might be of assistance. I suppose it would require some effort and flexibility and even outside experts, too much work then.

Makes one wonder...if the rice farmers...might have done much better without the intervention of Thai gov't and politicians...

How much did it cost the farmers and their families...to give their rice to the gov't...which reneged on it's promise to pay promptly for their supporting the rice scheme...?

yingluck said the rice pledging scheme was aimed at helping rice farmers and the rising incomes of farmers would eventually stimulate the national economy.

Hmmm? While Birthday Boy was brokering rice deals in Dubai?

My take is that the rice pledging scheme was a way of taking money from the big rice traders and putting it in the hands of Pheu Thai. But hey what do I know?

Not a lot

Edited by somo

The critical information in terms of forecasting where Thailand's rural communities are headed is that relating to land ownership and changes in land ownership.

Investigate that, and you'll discover who the real winners and losers from the PTP Rice Pledging Scam are.

Succinctly put GH. One day, people are going to wake up and realise that land distribution is so skewed towards a few neo-feudal families, that farmers (especially those that persist with rice) will be little better-off than serfs in the Middle Ages and new laws will have to be written to accommodate the de facto inequity. Whatever happened to that quaint old law that a single person cannot own more than 100 rai, I wonder? And what has the Agricultural Land Reform Office got to show for its mandate of land redistribution? coffee1.gif

The reason I made the point is because Thailand used to have one of the world's highest land ownership per capita ratios.

It was this that sustained Thai people during the Asian financial crash of the mid 90s - Thai people simply went back to the farm.

I've witnessed first hand the massive movement of land from farmers to Thailand's urban elite (mainly to the hands of Thai/Chinese businessmen/women from Bangkok).

This is going to have a significant impact on the character of Thai society and Thai people.

It is certainly going to have an impact on the options open to Thai people when times are hard,

The huge increase in the price of farmland over the last decade lends credence to the above.

It is no longer ecomical to buy land and use it for agriculture in most areas of Thailand. Something has really skewed the market and I doubt there will be a market correction as very rich people seem to be cornering the market. Unless the junta does something dramatic and orders change but unlikely they will do so as it is their supporters behind it all.

The critical information in terms of forecasting where Thailand's rural communities are headed is that relating to land ownership and changes in land ownership.

Investigate that, and you'll discover who the real winners and losers from the PTP Rice Pledging Scam are.

Succinctly put GH. One day, people are going to wake up and realise that land distribution is so skewed towards a few neo-feudal families, that farmers (especially those that persist with rice) will be little better-off than serfs in the Middle Ages and new laws will have to be written to accommodate the de facto inequity. Whatever happened to that quaint old law that a single person cannot own more than 100 rai, I wonder? And what has the Agricultural Land Reform Office got to show for its mandate of land redistribution? coffee1.gif

The reason I made the point is because Thailand used to have one of the world's highest land ownership per capita ratios.

It was this that sustained Thai people during the Asian financial crash of the mid 90s - Thai people simply went back to the farm.

I've witnessed first hand the massive movement of land from farmers to Thailand's urban elite (mainly to the hands of Thai/Chinese businessmen/women from Bangkok).

This is going to have a significant impact on the character of Thai society and Thai people.

It is certainly going to have an impact on the options open to Thai people when times are hard,

This isn't some new phenomenon. Land distribution has always been poor in Thailand. Its just even worse now.

The huge increase in the price of farmland over the last decade lends credence to the above.

It is no longer ecomical to buy land and use it for agriculture in most areas of Thailand. Something has really skewed the market and I doubt there will be a market correction as very rich people seem to be cornering the market. Unless the junta does something dramatic and orders change but unlikely they will do so as it is their supporters behind it all.

Land purchasing is simply a massive money washing escapade.

• Like 1

Here you go, sir.

http://thedavaogarden.blogspot.com/2012/08/lovely-mangosteen-marmalade.html

You may become millionaire if you find the way to export mangosteen to Europe and the US....or Japan. In Tokio just one piece cost 30THB. Sincerely..I know the way...in frozen paste. That was the way founded in Brazil just few years ago to export Azai fruit ....becoming the fashion and most expensive fruit of the world. Anyway..if you do not know what to do with it ..send it to me. It is my favorite fruit in Thailand, and the season is too short.