Apartment Deposit

Hi All,

long story short, I signed a two month minimum lease with a deposit 10,000 baht for a 5000 a month apartment on July 4th. Basically I got scammed by a teaching agency and need to leave my town on the 29th July, my rent and bills (5,200 baht) is due on the 31st.... Having enquired and admittedly fairly been declined my deposit back, I think it's clear what I'm tempted to do. I've lost a lot of money taking up this opportunity that didn't exist and 6,200 would come in really handy right now....she would still be 3,800 in profit..

but it they have my passport details and being grabbed by the ear at immigration for what I've done is much less appealing than 6,200.....I leave for vietnam on the 31st but need to return to thailand in September for another flight

any advice?

You don't know me, I'm not a visa runner. I came to thailand 3 weeks ago, fell in love with the place, rented this apartment and wanted to stay for life. And no, there is no honesty in the world left because I got totally scammed by a teaching agent and have no money left, struggling even to fly home.

Don't attack me when you don't know me or what I've dealt with in these three weeks.

I have lived somewhere for a fortnight...it will cost me 16,200 if I'm 'honest', but it will also leave me stranded here, committing visa violations I don't want to.

I knew I shouldn't have asked for advice, all anybody does is attack.

• Like 2

you seem just like the type of visa runner immigration wants to keep out...............is there ANY honesty left in the world today???

Get off your high horse.. how do you know your not one of the undesirables? Last time i checked this planet belonged to everyone.

• Like 1

You got scammed, and now you want to scam someone else in return. Not nice, and no one believes, you came to Thailand to start a new life with a few Baht and a hope of a job to pay for it. Very unpleaseant person.

You don't know me, I'm not a visa runner. I came to thailand 3 weeks ago, fell in love with the place, rented this apartment and wanted to stay for life. And no, there is no honesty in the world left because I got totally scammed by a teaching agent and have no money left, struggling even to fly home.

Don't attack me when you don't know me or what I've dealt with in these three weeks.

I have lived somewhere for a fortnight...it will cost me 16,200 if I'm 'honest', but it will also leave me stranded here, committing visa violations I don't want to.

I knew I shouldn't have asked for advice, all anybody does is attack.

You made an agreement to rent the room for 2 months. Not much can be done about it.

i can understand where you're coming from but unless the people who rented your place to you were in on the scam they too [same as you] don't deserve to be ripped off either. as they say two wrongs don't make a right.

You have been ripped off by this agent. You do not like it one bit and are losing money (or at least out of pocket). If you do the same to an innocent party (the people who rented you the room), how would you expect them to feel, especially if they have done nothing wrong.

Why not take it as a learning experience?

Unfortunate lesson in life. You made the error by not doing due dilligence with the Agent.

Unfair to make others pay for your error.

Pay what you owe, hold your head up, learn from it and move on, dont sink to there level of deceit.

Thats my opinion.

OP - do what you want to do.

A few points. Immigration will never get involved in a civil matter. The land lady would have to go to the cops, make an official complaint against you, and even then it is unlikely they would do anything over 6200 baht.

I read the OP as saying your rent PLUS bills come to 6200. Is this right? You do not need to pay the rent (highly unlikely you are paying in arrears, so this is advance payment of rent) on the 31st because effectively you are handing in your notice and she is keeping your deposit because of that. So, if your bills are 1200, then that is what you need to take care of.

Pay the 1200, and she keeps the 2 months deposit because you are breaking the contract.

In fact, you could do better than that. 2 Month minimum, you hand your notice in NOW saying you will quit after 2 months, she takes 1 months from the deposit as rent for that period and you get the other months back, less bills, because you have indeed rented for 2 months. Try that and see how you do.

Edited by boldface

So you haven't paid rent yet for first month, only deposit? Sounds a bit weird if so. I would consider not paying the second month since you will be leaving before it starts, but wouldn't not pay for the month I'd used. Just think yourself lucky it wasn't three months min with deposit.