Female Driver killed in North Pattaya road crash

Rimmer

Female Driver killed in North Pattaya road crash

crash-51.jpg
PATTAYA:--A fatal road accident occurred on the Sukhumvit Road in North Pattaya on Friday which saw a woman, thought to be in her seventies, lose her life.

Police and medics rushed to the scene and attended to Khun Orapin, who was declared dead-at-the-scene. Her body was thrown under a stationary Suzuki Van which was waiting to u-turn onto the Bangkok-bound carriageway on the Sukhumvit Road.

Khun Orapin’s motorbike was in two halves which demonstrated to Police the force of the impact. It is thought that a Minivan was driving at-speed towards Pattaya when it struck the victim’s bike as she attempted to cross over all four lanes of the Bangkok-bound carriageway. The Minivan was found unattended 500 meters down the road. Its driver had fled and he had also taking all documents relating to the vehicle.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/136384/female-driver-killed-in-north-pattaya-road-crash/#sthash.tH8YvZ10.dpuf

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2014-07-26

Shouldn't be hard to track down who the driver was. Finding him could be a problem. The company who employed this nut job should be fined big time. Maybe they'll start vetting their drivers better after a multi-million Baht fine.

• Like 1

Shouldn't be hard to track down who the driver was. Finding him could be a problem. The company who employed this nut job should be fined big time. Maybe they'll start vetting their drivers better after a multi-million Baht fine.

Assuming that the van company was not involved in any way with the accident, why should the van owner be punished for the driver's irresponsibility? How would the company vet an individual for a propensity to do a runner after a fatal road accident?

• Like 2

Assuming that the van company was not involved in any way with the accident, why should the van owner be punished for the driver's irresponsibility? How would the company vet an individual for a propensity to do a runner after a fatal road accident?

It doesn't matter. If the driver was an employee of a company then the company can be held responsible. It's called vicarious liability where an employer is responsible for the employee's actions and a Thai lawyer previously confirmed to me that this law does apply in Thailand.

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 1

Looking at this accident is so typical of the culture here.

Excessive van speed / bike trying to dissect 4 lanes.

These 2 examples are an attribute to so many collisions, so many of which are fatal.

But in this culture, all very "normal".

And in this incident, probably both partys are to blame.

What can the driver of minivan do at the scene? Wait for some relative of the victim to arrive with a pistol? Many if not all thais would leave the scene of accident to head straight to the police station. This way, the victim stays the victim and the accused stays accused until the law makers come to a verdic.

If any accused stood still at a fatal accident scene will definately not stay in one complete piece....not in LOS.

These reports in TV only tells half the story so to give room for loyal readers to expand their imagination and more would chew on the same bone and the advertisers would be pleased with the ratings and ultimately mass media achieved its purpose.

• Like 2

Could you imagine any normal sane human being fleeing the scene ???

Beats me why they always do a runner.

Poor woman R.I.P.

In some cases, they do it to avoid getting beaten up or killed by people witnessing what happened.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What can the driver of minivan do at the scene? Wait for some relative of the victim to arrive with a pistol? Many if not all thais would leave the scene of accident to head straight to the police station. This way, the victim stays the victim and the accused stays accused until the law makers come to a verdic.
If any accused stood still at a fatal accident scene will definately not stay in one complete piece....not in LOS.
These reports in TV only tells half the story so to give room for loyal readers to expand their imagination and more would chew on the same bone and the advertisers would be pleased with the ratings and ultimately mass media achieved its purpose.

Ok .....so you are giving this mini van driver some space.....If however he was trying to avoid being set upon.....surely he would have made his way directly to the Police ......to explain what happened and why he left the scene of the accident

It doesn't matter. If the driver was an employee of a company then the company can be held responsible. It's called vicarious liability where an employer is responsible for the employee's actions and a Thai lawyer previously confirmed to me that this law does apply in Thailand.

Yes, the vicarious liability theory of law seems not to exist in Thailand. Companies hire people, seemingly without any responsibility, even though the employee is acting as an agent for the company. Perhaps we shall see the law changed in this area.

RIP dear lady, regardless of shared responsibility. I hope the "runner" is found and held to answer.

I suspect that both parties may be to blame for this one. The van was alleged to be traveling too fast (in excess of the speed limit of 60 kpm?).

From my personal experience riders of motorbikes who cut across the road expect you to get out of their way, or are in a total dream world and don't even know you are on the road too!

I always drive within the speed limit and I am very carful, but I have a near miss with some idiot on a motorbike every time I go out (Yah! I know, I should stay off the road!)

So consider, the little old lady on the motorbike may not be totally blameless!

This is not Thai bashing, as some farangs on motorbikes seem to be total idiots and far worse than the Thais!

Its not bashing fella,, there are many, many people riding motorbikes who max out their scooters and weave in and out of traffic as if they owned the road. Problem is they don't seem to realise if you do have an argument with a car on a motorbike, regardless of whose fault it is the motorbike rider comes off worse.

I ride a larger scooter (300cc) but I ride carefully,, very carefully. I am happy to cruise along and give myself as much space as possible. The only exception being to filter at traffic lights.

But, to be honest I can't recall seeing one of those idiots being an elderly lady or gentleman.. From what i have seen I see most of the older Thai generation ride pretty steady down the inside lane,, in fact sometimes a bit too slowly.

I think it is more likely the minibus driver, especially as he fled the scene.

RIP to the poor lady.

Could you imagine any normal sane human being fleeing the scene ???

Beats me why they always do a runner.

Poor woman R.I.P.

In some cases, they do it to avoid getting beaten up or killed by people witnessing what happened.

Totally agree.

Was involved in a major construction project near the Thai border in Kelantan, during the early 90's. The expats involved at the start of the project were given a talk by the local government transport officials. One of the points they made very clear to us was: if you have an accident on the local roads and are still able to drive, leave the scene of the accident and head for the nearest police station.

Why would that be?

Even if the accident was not your fault, any injuries, or worse, to the local population was likely to result in retribution against the non-local driver.

Such actions obviously go against the grain but expecting western SOP to be the norm is rather naïve, to say the least.

Of course, whether every runaway actually heads for the nearest police station is another issue altogether.....!!

• Like 1

Until they get serious about hit and runs and leaving the scene of an acccident, the Thais will continue to flee the scene and probably report their vehicle as stolen.

Until the police stop taking drivers to jail immediately after any kind of accident, without any charge, for weeks of investigation, Thais and adept foreigners will flee the scene and show up later to surrender with their lawyers and bail money.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I really can't believe you are serious. The van company IS involved. It's employee just killed someone and ran off. The van owner has a duty of care to all his passengers and others on the road. Could you envisage the scenario where the lady's estate was refused compensation because it was the driver at fault, not the company who provided him with a lethal weapon. Here in Thailand it is the vehicle which is insured, not the individual. So, unless the driver paid the insurance on his own then the company is involved

Ultimately, the company probably has only an obligation to assist with police inquiries. The driver has probably turned himself into police across town in another (safer) neighborhood. If not, it is only a matter of time before he/she is caught up with.

• Like 1

"The Minivan was found unattended 500 meters down the road. Its driver had fled and he had also taking all documents relating to the vehicle."

Heartless, souless scum.

Yes. imagine. Taking the time to pull the VIN number from all the van's components and file off the engine ID number. Definitely cold-blooded premeditation as well. May the victim rest in eternal peace in Thai motorbiker heaven.

Edited by MaxYakov

A company is always responsible for the actions of their employees, and customers in their care. One reason they carry big insurance policies. Or in the case of Thailand, operate shell companies they close when problems arise. No assets to go after and they just move on and open another one.

These companies don't vet their drivers very well. Hours are not controlled properly. Equipment is not maintained properly. Random drug tests are not administered. Drivers sometimes don't even have the proper licenses. (one comment edited by moderator)

"A company is always responsible for the actions of their employees," Nonsense.

"Or in the case of Thailand, operate shell companies they close when problems arise." Doubtless you have some evidence for this assertion?

I really can't believe you are serious. The van company IS involved. It's employee just killed someone and ran off. The van owner has a duty of care to all his passengers and others on the road. Could you envisage the scenario where the lady's estate was refused compensation because it was the driver at fault, not the company who provided him with a lethal weapon. Here in Thailand it is the vehicle which is insured, not the individual. So, unless the driver paid the insurance on his own then the company is involved

I really don't care whether you believe I'm serious or not. Of course the company is involved in this incident, indirectly. My point was that the owner of the company in no way should be held responsible for this particular driver's action, ie leaving the scene, as he cannot have any control over that. And I'm right.

Edited by Zeegator
  • Like 1

We'll see in due course. And if you're going to quote my post in your response in future make sure that you do not alter it as you did this one, that contravenes the forum rules.

"The Minivan was found unattended 500 meters down the road. Its driver had fled and he had also taking all documents relating to the vehicle."

Heartless, souless scum.

Yes. imagine. Taking the time to pull the VIN number from all the van's components and file off the engine ID number. Definitely cold-blooded premeditation as well. May the victim rest in eternal peace in Thai motorbiker heaven.

"Taking the time to pull the VIN number from all the van's components and file off the engine ID number." Where did you get this nonsense from?

It would appear to me after living here for several years, that a very large proportion of drivers will flee the scene of an accident involving some major trauma or death to somebody.

The reason for this heartless act is not clear to me at all, and maybe someone can explain it to me ?.

Is it that they already know they have made a critical mistake whilst driving ?and cannot accept the fact they will be publically condemned for it.

Is it that they think that they have broken Buddhist belief to not hurt another living thing.

Or, is it that if the person lying badly injured on the road may survive the traumatic injuries, and require many years of medical help which will require large amounts of money from the driver ( if found guilty ) for some considerable time after the accident.

Whatever the reasons may be, it is a truly pathetic excuse for a human being that runs away from something like this which may, or may not caused by them.

It would appear to me after living here for several years, that a very large proportion of drivers will flee the scene of an accident involving some major trauma or death to somebody.

The reason for this heartless act is not clear to me at all, and maybe someone can explain it to me ?.

Is it that they already know they have made a critical mistake whilst driving ?and cannot accept the fact they will be publically condemned for it.

Is it that they think that they have broken Buddhist belief to not hurt another living thing.

Or, is it that if the person lying badly injured on the road may survive the traumatic injuries, and require many years of medical help which will require large amounts of money from the driver ( if found guilty ) for some considerable time after the accident.

Whatever the reasons may be, it is a truly pathetic excuse for a human being that runs away from something like this which may, or may not caused by them.

Most likely the fear of getting the living daylights kicked out of them by the gathering onlookers.

• Like 1