Do you wear motorbike protection and does it really help?

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok....many wice people here....and som stupidos !

Do the TEST - it is easy and cheap.

The test goes like this : step up on your dinnertable, and let your selves fall forward flat to the floor. Use sandals and easy clothes.
Do not protect your face or body in the fall, just let go.

Then do the same from your 2.floor.

It should feel like a front-crash in about 7 kmh from the table, and about 45 kmh from your 2.floor.

Then, after you wake up, try the same test using good mc-protection !

Then use your fantasy, and imagin the same jump from 12. floor. Thats about 90 kmh on the highway.

Have fun !
  • Like 1

Only a Farang gets hot  inside leathers here, have never seen a Thai use them. Leather will protect you from most road rash unless you are unfortunate enough to slide 100 meters down a paved road if you crash at a high rate of speed; in which case you will be able to see, first leather marks on the pavement, then blood, and more blood the further you slide. I used to investigate motorcycle accidents  and even with the best helmet and leathers, sometimes you lose...

Hot or hospital you choose.

Leather every time.

• Like 2

Simplest answer to the topic: Yes and YES!

While I agree with you, mine has to be NO and YES.  I guess it's difficult to break old habits--I've been riding more years than it takes to qualify for the Retiree Extension in Thailand.

So, I should know, I've been down before. I do try to rationalize it--I ride more carefully, because I am in Thailand; to help me stay careful, I ride a Harley because I know it's going to cost to fix it; and I don't wear a set of full leathers, because I will be even more careful to avoid the pain.

I was driving in New Zealand; sunstrike on the road, a Harley whose leathers and helmet matched the colour of the bike which matched the colour of the road. I never saw him coming when I indicated and turned in front of him. I was doing 60 kph, he was probably doing 100. He laid on the binders, rear end fish-tailing, and being either good or lucky, managed to miss me. I was probably at fault, but the South Island of NZ is notorious for sunstrikes. The point is you don't know when or how your accident will happen, only that will.

A friend of mine in the US was stopped at a light on a Honda Goldwing. The car that hit them from behind and pushed them through the intersection never saw the red light. His wife, the pillion, died instantly, and he's in a wheelchair for the rest of his life. They both were wearing full gear. Full gear will not save you in every accident - some are just not survivable. But the odds dramatically increase in your favour if you have full gear.
  • Like 1

A dog ran out in front of me 10+ years ago, and it was a big one ... I managed to scrub off speed but it froze and I hit it mid-rift - I went over the bars and landed on my head - helmet was totaled - I am still here.  Here in Thailand there are many obstacles that can unpredictably appear - take no chances, please.

I would not even consider not wearing a helmet. It has saved my head twice. You don't have to be a bad rider to get into accidents. They can easily be caused by someone else.

Rode large motorcycles all my adult life. Still do. Huge mileages. All over Europe. In all states, mentally and physically. In all weather. Hated full face helmets when i had my first one aged 16 on a moped. Never again. 17 on, open face only, to this day. If i hated them in Europe, they must be goddam hideous out here. Basic minimum long distance riding gear; gloves, jeans and boots. No, not fancy pansy motorcycle boots, just normal working mens boots ie steelies with ankle support. At a push, Caterpillar type thingies. Leather/textile jackets are for when its cold. Levi/denim jacket fine. Full leathers - gay. Leather jeans - homo. I've used a lot of my 9 lives up, got, maybe a couple left, but i've seen stuff in my life that makes me believe, when your time is up, your time is up, and there is Jack Sh#it anybody can do anything about it.
 End of sermon.

If we need this kind of sermon, we go to church!
So you say it is all about destiny?
Destiny is for stupid and ignorant. You control yohr own life and god loves preperation and dont give a shit to your way of thinking. Also same god created helmets and protective gears - and created the guys to invent them - and cows and kangaroos leather comes from then!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I am surprised at this thread,  Overwealming support for protection.  A few years ago there was another thread about this and everyone said no way should they wear helmets or protection,.  It seems as if Darwin has done its work and they are not here any more.

• Like 1

I have read this thread with some interest and amazed at some of the responses. Don't get me wrong when on the scooter I ride with flip flops, tee shirt and shorts but always a helmet. I was unlucky enough to have a hard impact whilst touring in Thailand a few years back and although I had protected my upper body my lower section was left quite bare with jeans and ankle boots. My quality full face helmet was smashed to buggery and textile armored jacket scuffed severely. I suffered no upper body injuries what so ever except sore hands from pathetic gloves. I was left by the hit and run driver with my right leg almost severed and hanging off between the ankle and knee, total destruction to the tib and fib which became complicated through massive infection and Thai medical negligence. Had I not returned to the UK when I was able 6 months after the accident to get fixed up proper I would have lost the lower leg for sure. Main thing nobody is considering here is impact injury and tissue loss. Had I been wearing armoured trousers and especially full length boots my injuries would have been far less. Smashed leg yes tissue loss minimal or none. Kevlar jeans and ankle boots might work in a slide to stop situation but most of us know that when it happens its going to incur some sort of impact. Impact often results in smashed bones but also insufficiently protected areas can can be vunerable to ripped flesh which also in impact situations can rip flesh away from the body and this area never properly regenerates. Most of us would never consider riding in our home countries without the proper gear but we come to Thailand and leave something behind called common sense. I know its cool and the sun is shinning and the police don't give a damned. I was lucky and whenever going on a ride out on the big bike now I get suited and booted. After having to dedicate 2 years of my life through quite miserable times getting well I now chose to wear desert style ventilated textile jacket and trousers, full face kevlar/carbon helmet armoured cloves and and full length quality boots. Yes its hot sometimes but mainly when your stopped in traffic. I do not ride in Bangkok or big cities often so stops aren't that much of an issue. I always wore leather in the UK but that's to hot and heavy to spend a long day in with this heat and how the hell do you wash it out after because for sure it will stink after sweating in it all day especially after a weeks tour.

Your probable thinking I ride like a granny now also! Not the case, except when riding the scooter in flip flops, tee shirt and shorts & HELMET!         

wow and you are in no pain and your legs was almost cutaway, and still riding a bike, you are a brave man

I have read this thread with some interest and amazed at some of the responses. Don't get me wrong when on the scooter I ride with flip flops, tee shirt and shorts but always a helmet. I was unlucky enough to have a hard impact whilst touring in Thailand a few years back and although I had protected my upper body my lower section was left quite bare with jeans and ankle boots. My quality full face helmet was smashed to buggery and textile armored jacket scuffed severely. I suffered no upper body injuries what so ever except sore hands from pathetic gloves. I was left by the hit and run driver with my right leg almost severed and hanging off between the ankle and knee, total destruction to the tib and fib which became complicated through massive infection and Thai medical negligence. Had I not returned to the UK when I was able 6 months after the accident to get fixed up proper I would have lost the lower leg for sure. Main thing nobody is considering here is impact injury and tissue loss. Had I been wearing armoured trousers and especially full length boots my injuries would have been far less. Smashed leg yes tissue loss minimal or none. Kevlar jeans and ankle boots might work in a slide to stop situation but most of us know that when it happens its going to incur some sort of impact. Impact often results in smashed bones but also insufficiently protected areas can can be vunerable to ripped flesh which also in impact situations can rip flesh away from the body and this area never properly regenerates. Most of us would never consider riding in our home countries without the proper gear but we come to Thailand and leave something behind called common sense. I know its cool and the sun is shinning and the police don't give a damned. I was lucky and whenever going on a ride out on the big bike now I get suited and booted. After having to dedicate 2 years of my life through quite miserable times getting well I now chose to wear desert style ventilated textile jacket and trousers, full face kevlar/carbon helmet armoured cloves and and full length quality boots. Yes its hot sometimes but mainly when your stopped in traffic. I do not ride in Bangkok or big cities often so stops aren't that much of an issue. I always wore leather in the UK but that's to hot and heavy to spend a long day in with this heat and how the hell do you wash it out after because for sure it will stink after sweating in it all day especially after a weeks tour.

Your probable thinking I ride like a granny now also! Not the case, except when riding the scooter in flip flops, tee shirt and shorts & HELMET!         

Respect man, I dread to think what pain you went through.

I've crashed 5 times in my life, sometimes without even a helmet(young and foolish on the islands) and the rest with minimal gear. Luckily I never even broke a bone, but I still have a couple of road rash scars. Nowadays, helmet is a must and nearly always wear a jacket etc.

The purpose of the helmet is not only to protect your skull from cracking open when hitting anything at speeds as low as 60km/h, but to prevent the neck, face and being knocked out unconscious on the middle of the road waiting for another car come over you.

Gloves... ALWAYS wear gloves, the hands are the first to land on the floor.

Wear Leather Boots, at least with steal caps. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740726-why-you-should-wear-leather-boots/

A week ago, I just hit a guy on his bike that cut in front of me out of nowhere without looking for incoming vehicles, he came out in front of a bus, very reckless. 

I hit him with my front fork to the end of his exhaust, barely a scratch on my bike (CB500F) but his old wave jumped maybe a couple meters and he landed on his hands on the middle of the road with many incoming cars!

Managed to brake hard, from 60Km/h to 30Km/h in less than 2 meters, but not enough to prevent it, I tires were really cold, I had just left home to work.

His both hands were so badly hurt and bruised... luckly he was not hit by a car, or he could have been dead, since he had one of those 300 baht plastic crap on his head.

so, a really small incident, at very low speeds, still can get really hurt, had he been wearing any cheap 500 baht gloves (cheaper than his whisky bottle on the weekend)  his hands would have been fine. 

I gave him 1000 baht note and I told, take this and buy a set of gloves. my GF said I should not give him, but I felt guilty about the poor ignorant.

• Like 1

Blue Jeans for the road rash. Long sleeves and 3/4 helmet for the sun. Heavy boots for the job they do. Bikini panties to keep the package up front.

Flip flops don't work in rice fields and they don't work trying to push a 400 kg bike. They are just cheap.

Just can't do gloves. Hands are used to the sun now.

This is for 8-10 hour days. For a short local ride. Short sleeves, blue jeans because the bike is HOT. and the boots. Helmet is optional. I do not dress as if expecting a crash. If I do, I hope it's bad enough to kill me.

Helmet optional? You got to be joking? I rode and raced motorcycles for years and would not be on one (even today) without a helmet. It doesn't take much for your head to hit something leading to death or possible disablement. And I've taken some falls in my time.

• Like 1

Respect man, I dread to think what pain you went through.

I've crashed 5 times in my life, sometimes without even a helmet(young and foolish on the islands) and the rest with minimal gear. Luckily I never even broke a bone, but I still have a couple of road rash scars. Nowadays, helmet is a must and nearly always wear a jacket etc.

My wife owned and operated a pharmacy outside of BKK and forever left in my mind, were the countless people that came into her shop, for whatever medicines, that were sporting road rash scars on legs, feet, arms and hands. It amazed me how common it is, and how ''mai pen rai'' the attitude was. It really  baffled me to see the really attractive young ladies, with good shapes, tight clothes to show off in, with 8-18 inch, 4 inch wide street scars on a leg/foot. Forever inplanted in my mind is, ''If thats what you get at typical thai traffic speeds on a puny little motorbike...............''

The purpose of the helmet is not only to protect your skull from cracking open when hitting anything at speeds as low as 60km/h, but to prevent the neck, face and being knocked out unconscious on the middle of the road waiting for another car come over you.

Gloves... ALWAYS wear gloves, the hands are the first to land on the floor.

Wear Leather Boots, at least with steal caps. http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/740726-why-you-should-wear-leather-boots/

A week ago, I just hit a guy on his bike that cut in front of me out of nowhere without looking for incoming vehicles, he came out in front of a bus, very reckless. 

I hit him with my front fork to the end of his exhaust, barely a scratch on my bike (CB500F) but his old wave jumped maybe a couple meters and he landed on his hands on the middle of the road with many incoming cars!

Managed to brake hard, from 60Km/h to 30Km/h in less than 2 meters, but not enough to prevent it, I tires were really cold, I had just left home to work.

His both hands were so badly hurt and bruised... luckly he was not hit by a car, or he could have been dead, since he had one of those 300 baht plastic crap on his head.

so, a really small incident, at very low speeds, still can get really hurt, had he been wearing any cheap 500 baht gloves (cheaper than his whisky bottle on the weekend)  his hands would have been fine. 

I gave him 1000 baht note and I told, take this and buy a set of gloves. my GF said I should not give him, but I felt guilty about the poor ignorant.

Learned that on my first crash - brand new D-Tracker, too fast around the village, bike with sidecar parked in the middle of the road after a bend. I braked hard, lost my front wheel, and came to a sliding halt just centimeters from the guy - sliding on my hands. Ouch!!!!! I've worn gloves ever since. Always smile.png

For your accident I know sometimes these guys jumping out from behind somewhere are impossible to avoid but you do have to consider you are to blame in part too - because you know people are crazy and jump out from behind parked / slow moving vehicles - so if you can't see around the vehicle you can't pass it closely, or only at a very low speed differential.

I hit such a guy too once, t-boned a scooter coming out between parked traffic - only my front tire impacted, didn't fall, he didn't fall, and by the time I had prevented my bike from falling over he had taken off. Since then I am very careful passing parked or slow traffic, especially if it's a van or another high car I can't see over. Blame all you want, of course these guys are stupid coming out without looking but this is the reality of traffic here and you need to adjust to it. 

It is your duty in traffic to make up for the mistakes of others, as much as you can. If everyone didn't do that, we'd all be dead, and nobody would be getting anywhere as everyone makes mistakes at times and relies on other traffic participants to compensate.

When you get on a bike, take responsibility. 

Edited by nikster
  • Like 2

Hi,

I never ride without a helmet. In Bangkok I wear heavy jeans and an aromred jacket and riding boots. For touring I add armored pants. The boots have spared me ankle injury when I was rear ended and droped by BMW K100 on my ankle. Twice. Yes, the jacket makes for hot riding but road rash or broken bones are the alternative.

Gloves always.

I often see people wearing shorts and shirts riding in Bangkok. Road rash is painful and that is the least of your worrys.

Be safe and enjoy yourself.

Edited by loumaripol

On the little bike just a full face helmet, flip flops. t-shirt. Long distance on the little bike I add bicycle gloves and shoes. On the big bike it's always shoes, gloves and full face helmet. Long rides it's full riding gear and protection.

I have had one big off on the big bike when a cement truck u-turned in front of me and I binned it into some bushes and grass at about 70kph in order to not end up splattered. I had full riding gear and got away with some aches, pains, and a slightly sprained ankle.

Agree with most of what you say there Joe but with the exception of flip flop's, came off a moped a few years back and took the skin off my toes and it was absolutely debilitating, no more riding in flip flops for me once was definitely enough....

Correct. At least some enclosed sandals, or something that gives your feet some protection. Flip flops are not even close to being adequate. And a very good helmet. Not the basic bean cap crap, but a real helmet. Decent helmets like the Real brand are available here, reasonably. Index is the bare minimum, but I doubt it provides real protection with a serious impact. Gotta protect the head. This is paramount. Most motorcycle fatalities result from head injuries, and good helmet protection has got to make a lot of difference.

When out on the scooter i wear only a lid,  flipflop's and a T, I know wide open for road rash or worse. On the bigger bike its full face helmet, gloves, Bullit Kevlar jeans & boots. Also a firstgear Mesh Tex jacket with removable rain liner, once this is taken out the wind blows easily through the jacket keeps you pretty cool except on those really hot days April, May June. (up country)

Normally I would have posted on this thread earlier as I'm very into my gear, but I wanted to see how it shaped up.

It's interesting that it's mostly the older riders (who should know better) that have the least knowledge and most disdain for proper gear- not to use the best gear is a personal choice, but to deride it as 'gay' rises to a level of foolishness that is almost unbelievable for someone who has ridden for a long time. Riding a motorcycle is an inherently dangerous activity, and a smart rider at a minimum keeps up with the advancements in protection rather than relying on the opinion he formed 40 years ago when he tried on an ill-fitting, poorly-made helmet and decided that gearing-up wasn't for him. As you get older you should make an attempt to be better informed and not to lose touch.

There's plenty of information beyond this thread if anyone cares to search for it- CE-rated pads disperse, delay, and lessen the force of an impact- it doesn't matter if you hit the ground or another vehicle, they can help decrease your potential injuries by turning possible breaks into sprains (a massive high-speed crash can overwhelm their protective abilities, but most crashes aren't at that level)- proper motorcycle-specific boots (which aren't the same as work boots) with torsional ankle protection can save both your ankles and knees and are made to keep from digging into the pavement and twisting your leg (work boot soles grip in a way that isn't beneficial in a crash)- quality gloves have scaphoid protection which can protect the most commonly injured bone in your hand, and they can slide in a crash rather than gripping the road surface, which can spare you a broken wrist- if you ride in regular jeans, there are thin knee-pads that will fit under them that can offer quite a bit of protection if you hit the pavement- the benefits of upper-body and head protection are obvious. There's no guarantee, of course, and even a rider with the best equipment can be incapacitated or killed in an accident, but it's about likelihoods and percentages- most motorcycle accidents end in injury rather than death, though, and every injured rider who suffered injuries that could have been prevented by proper gear would choose to gear up if they could go back in time before their get-off- you can't go back in time, though, so you have to be smart and prescient in your preparation.

Make your choices according to your personal preferences and the level of risk you feel is acceptable, but at least do it knowledgeably. Wear no protection at all if you see fit, but know what you're actually giving up. Read websites like VisorDown and WebBikeWorld for unbiased reviews and articles on advancements and improvements to existing gear. Gear up appropriately for conditions- no one wears a full suit on a scooter, but you can still take minimum precautions and increase your odds of survivability and lessen your risk of injury with some basic, reasonably comfortable gear.

An informed rider is usually a safer rider.

Appreciate your view. It is the most sensible and common. My views are in the minority, and have been since the safety-eighties. But it is my view and lifestyle choice.

Death is certain, life is not.