Freelance Photographers and their work permit

I have heard a lot about freelance photographers in writers working in this country...how do they go about getting a work permit, if its freelance, do they find one company to work for mainly to get the permit and then do their own little gigs for the "freelance" I always thought it was interesting how many of these types I have met along with the IT types who freelance, most of them who don't have work permits....

• Like 1

They don't have a work permit because they can't get one. You can search the many threads for "freelances" of any type and the answer is always the same: not legally possible.

No work permit. You just do what you have to do. So long as no one spills the beans on you, like one of the grumpy old haters here, no one will know the wiser.

One of these days, counties will wake up to fact that people can now support themselves by working freelance or online, while on the road. There needs to be a new visa for those who can prove income for these types of jobs, so they don't have to keep getting BS visas and break the law.

• Like 1

Tokay is right in that most just stay under the radar and do what they have(want) to do.... But there are legal options available for those who really want to be legal.

There are BOI approved companies that can hire foreigners without any requirements on hiring locals. Think the minimum investment is in the 40mm range, so not many out there.

here is an example:

http://iglu.in.th/

Basically, you work through them, and they outsource your own clients to you. They collect about 25% of your income, and provide you with all the legalities.,..

No work permit. You just do what you have to do. So long as no one spills the beans on you, like one of the grumpy old haters here, no one will know the wiser.

One of these days, counties will wake up to fact that people can now support themselves by working freelance or online, while on the road. There needs to be a new visa for those who can prove income for these types of jobs, so they don't have to keep getting BS visas and break the law.

They don't have a work permit because they can't get one. You can search the many threads for "freelances" of any type and the answer is always the same: not legally possible.

Inform yourself on ThaiVisa before you post. I've done it for you:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/687945-work-permit-for-freelance-journalist/

Enjoy the reading

Much more likely that a Thai spills the beans.

And the main problem here is that an online worker can do some from his home, a photographer may do some things at home, but will also be out and about and much more visible, therefor vulnerable, than the online freelancer.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/687945-work-permit-for-freelance-journalist/

Enjoy the reading

A quote from that link:-

"Note that the MFA refers to correspondents wishing to work in the representative office of a foreign media agency or as a representative of such agency. It doesn't mention anything about self-employed freelance foreign journalists."

Perhaps you should be more informed before you have a go at others. This thread is about freelancer photographers and whether they can get work permits.

Go back to your own link and enjoy the reading.

• Like 2

Factually incorrect..

The media visa exists and allows for freelance workers.. I have suggested that this visa would be easily adaptable for many new media (digital nomad) issues if they wished it to.

Of course this needs to be shown to be a true freelance professional, with multiple clients and actual published (print media) works..

• Like 2

Enjoy the reading

"Note that the MFA refers to correspondents wishing to work in the representative office of a foreign media agency or as a representative of such agency. It doesn't mention anything about self-employed freelance foreign journalists."

Perhaps you should be more informed before you have a go at others. This thread is about freelancer photographers and whether they can get work permits.

It exists.. Its just rare.

This is from 'M' Visa requirements Thai Embassy - Singapore http://www.thaiembassy.sg/consular-visa-matters/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-m

2.1 An official letter from the news agency he or she is working for to introduce the journalist to the Director-General of the Information Department and to confirm the appointment of the journalist to work in Thailand;

There is a visa for media people that allows them to work here BUT you have to meet the requirements. Such as you have to be a bona fide working journalist with a record of published work, not just a guy with a camera.

'nuff said

~--------------------

Yes, there is one.

The catch is that you have to be an accredited journalist/reporter/photographer/etc. to get the accreditation to get approval from the Thai organization that recognizes you as eligible for a work permit.

You have to join the Thai organization to get a work permit, but you can't join their organization unless you are already accredited outside of Thailand.

Catch 22

However the simple answer is that they don't seem to want 'freelancers' coming into Thailand without making any investment or hiring Thai university graduates in IT or graphic/visual arts and then competing with other non-Thais who do.

The fact of the matter is that capitalist businessmen would be eager to take advantage of knowledgeable, skilled Thai professionals at much lower rates than knowledgeable, skilled professionals from North America, Europe, Australia, or the UK - unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of Thai professionals in the IT industry at least simply do not possess the skills nor the knowledge that foreigners have.

When it comes to knowledge, skill, motivation, and creativity, Thailand is a backwater, even further behind than other Asian countries - and believe me, the IT professionals in other Asian countries (explicitly including Japan, the RoK, and Singapore) don't stack up to those from Europe and the Anglosphere.

A lot of it has to do with Asian culture; creativity, thinking outside the box, and innovation are frowned upon, while automatic deference to elders and rigid hierarchy are encouraged.

There are exceptions, mainly me-so and hi-so Thais who were educated in the West from a young age. But even they are forced to put on the mask of subservience and incuriosity when working with Thais in Thailand. That's just how it is.

That's just how it is.

• Like 1

creativity, thinking outside the box, and innovation are frowned upon, while automatic deference to elders and rigid hierarchy are encouraged.

Precisely. An absolute antithesis to being any good at all at Software Engineering and most other forms of IT.

Enjoy the reading

Dear Zeegator,

apparently, you seem to know a lot about this topic and you seemingly need to "defend" the other poster.

First of all, I didn't have a "Go" on him. I was just telling him to inform himself before giving replies about a topic he doesn't know anything about.

Did you ever apply for a Non-Imm Media Visa? Do you know the procedure?

Have a look at this one here (Page 10, Number 7) http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/images/text_editor/files/Guidanceforforeignpress.pdf

Enjoy the reading!

Would be great, if people on this forum would just answer if they were intending to help solve the question of the OP and stop giving just any comments that are totally wrong and misleading.

Have a nice day, mate!

However the simple answer is that they don't seem to want 'freelancers' coming into Thailand without making any investment or hiring Thai university graduates in IT or graphic/visual arts and then competing with other non-Thais who do.

The fact of the matter is that capitalist businessmen would be eager to take advantage of knowledgeable, skilled Thai professionals at much lower rates than knowledgeable, skilled professionals from North America, Europe, Australia, or the UK - unfortunately, the overwhelming majority of Thai professionals in the IT industry at least simply do not possess the skills nor the knowledge that foreigners have.

When it comes to knowledge, skill, motivation, and creativity, Thailand is a backwater, even further behind than other Asian countries - and believe me, the IT professionals in other Asian countries (explicitly including Japan, the RoK, and Singapore) don't stack up to those from Europe and the Anglosphere.

A lot of it has to do with Asian culture; creativity, thinking outside the box, and innovation are frowned upon, while automatic deference to elders and rigid hierarchy are encouraged.

There are exceptions, mainly me-so and hi-so Thais who were educated in the West from a young age. But even they are forced to put on the mask of subservience and incuriosity when working with Thais in Thailand. That's just how it is.

That's just how it is.

.And as I said, THEY don't seem to want ... but I guess you know better.

Yup - no legal way to be freelance or do anything at all without paying some middle-man to do absolutely nothing useful except take your money. My impression is that most people in this position do it and keep quiet. I would expect the authorities are more interested in those people who are working without a permit and hence the country is losing tax dollars as opposed to hunting down freelancers who do no business at all in Thailand except spend their imported cash.

Anyone have any example of a freelancer whose entire business is outside of Thailand and brings personal money in to spend getting caught and prosecuted ?.

This is simply not true. I know because I had a media visa for years as a photojournalist. It is not all that difficult if you have a legitimate sponsor and are earning enough money. My occupation was freelance journalist/correspondent for the sponsor publication.

While it is possible to work as a photographer or photojournalist here without a work permit, without the work permit you won't be getting the Thai press card. In some cases, this is important. I went into two prisons here and both times I was asked for my press card before I was given permission to go inside. If there is something that requires more than just someone standing out in the public taking photos, a press card can come in handy.

Also, as I understood it and was told by the MOFA, they wanted to know the circulation, how long the magazine/publication had been in business, etc., etc. They also checked via telephone interview the first time I applied to see if the publication I worked for was legit.

All of my income comes from outside of Thailand, some of it is from photo sales and projects I do outside of the country.

When I first started, I was working for several publications. I asked the person at the MOFA how I could legally do this as my work permit only showed the sponsoring publication. She told me that the MOFA and Press Department are aware of how journalists operate and they do not have a problem with people working for multiple publications. Of course...should you get in trouble, there might be a problem.

Edited by ScottMallon

Also, as I understood it and was told by the MOFA, they wanted to know the circulation, how long the magazine/publication had been in business, etc., etc. They also checked via telephone interview the first time I applied to see if the publication I worked for was legit.

Will be interesting to see if and when the country catches up with the idea that print media and hierarchical organisations are not the only way people publish..

I dont see it near term anyway.

Will be interesting to see if and when the country catches up with the idea that print media and hierarchical organisations are not the only way people publish..

It's already caught up. One of the places that sponsored me was a website. This was around 7 years ago and I know a couple of guys who have media visas writing and shooting for online publications.

It's already caught up. One of the places that sponsored me was a website. This was around 7 years ago and I know a couple of guys who have media visas writing and shooting for online publications.

Interesting, I had picked up from here it was only physical print media..

Would be really interesting to see if a successful income earning blogger, could self sponsor, to pay their taxes..

Its media, its being published, its making money..

Nobody needs a BS visa at all.

There must be plenty of other places to take photos, if that is your true passion.

Of course taking photos in Thailand wouldn't have anything to do with party time, cheap booze and available, affordable pussy, now, would it?

Thailand doesn't know "freelancers". Also Thai can't work as a freelancers. According to Thai law they must be:

a. Employed with a contract

or

b. Registered at the DBD as a company.

No other possibilties for Thai nor Farang.

Also hiring someone to do some jobs (a job, mowing your lawn for example) for you, as long it isn't done by a registered company, is prohibited in Thailand.

Thailand doesn't know "freelancers". Also Thai can't work as a freelancers. According to Thai law they must be:

or

Also hiring someone to do some jobs (a job, mowing your lawn for example) for you, as long it isn't done by a registered company, is prohibited in Thailand.

Strange I know multiple Thais who are self employed in their own trade.. Neither employed by others or incorporated.

• Like 1

or

Strange I know multiple Thais who are self employed in their own trade.. Neither employed by others or incorporated.

But they must be registered at the DBD, otherwiser it is undeclared / moonlighting.

Also the street vendors offficially must be registered.

Check any lawyer !!!