Scores of trawler operators list illegal migrant workers

Lite Beer

The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The operators of 3,315 fishing trawlers have submitted lists with the names of 54,789 migrant workers - 44,357 of them undocumented, the Department of Employment revealed yesterday.

He also said that the 29 one-stop service centres nationwide had so far registered some 270,000 migrant workers.

Pichit Nilthongkham, director of the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, said that by the July 21 deadline set by the junta for all fishing trawlers to report their migrant workers, some 3,315 trawler operators had complied.

Of the 54,789 migrant workers, only 10,432 were legal.

As there are about 10,000 fishing trawlers in operation, Pichit urged all operators to submit a list of names and register undocumented migrant workers at any of 22 coastal service centres by August 21.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Scores-of-trawler-operators-list-illegal-migrant-w-30239557.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-07-27

So far it looks like a good result that about a third of the captains of the trawlers reacted. It means the authority of the government is accepted/feared. The human slaves trafficking probably will be tackled as far as the labour force on the trawlers is concerned. Should be good enough to get the US to raise Thailands status again. And to give Thailand a better overall status.

• Like 2

No Thai Mr. Bigs signed off on this massive slave trade. No Thai bankers backing and laundering it. No Thai government and military or police helping to cover up the operation. Thais think that the outside world are fools and believe this tripe.

It's good that something is being done other than the old way of just making bold statements but it's obviously not been dealt with before so as you say other people must have been involved. Those need to be found and dealt with if the junta military are to show they are being fair and honest.

• Like 1

goes to show how big a problem it is

Funny how Thai govt officials have switched their tune about the problem...from just giving lip service to actually taking some concrete actions. But it's too early in the process to see how many and how solid these concrete steps are. Hopefully Thailand will get serious about the human trafficking problem, truly try to greatly reduce it, and stay serious about reducing it...or better yet, eliminating it which probably won't be possible but one can hope.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Along with the human trafficking the government or junta had better do something about the number of fishing vessels in Thai waters before they completely desecrate fish stocks. 10,000 trawlers is absolutely insane unsustainable when you take into account say western Canada which has much larger fishing grounds and has approx. 570 trawlers. These poor people won't be working long any way at this rate.

If your numbers are correct that is over fishing at large proportions, unfortunately you will need to replace the income area with something else, they wont take to kindly to being out of work , fishing licences should be issued, that is the domain of the fisheries department , if they have one.

Along with the human trafficking the government or junta had better do something about the number of fishing vessels in Thai waters before they completely desecrate fish stocks. 10,000 trawlers is absolutely insane unsustainable when you take into account say western Canada which has much larger fishing grounds and has approx. 570 trawlers. These poor people won't be working long any way at this rate.

What the Thais class as a trawler is not quite the same as a Canadian Trawler..

• Like 2

So, one third of all trawlers registered and are now much less competitive with the ones who refused to register. Now honesty is being punished economically and legally.

An essence of Thainess. Amazing Thailand.

Is 3,315 fishing trawlers scores? I thought scores were measures of twenties, right?

Why did only 1/3 respond by July 21st deadline (success?? - no), and then the others get extension to 21st August? 2/3 failed to respond. I think that means 2/3 are involved in malfeasance? If no response by 21st August does that mean another extension, and another, to the extent where the high officials are never touched again, cos they continue to hide behind scapegoats? bah.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

What the Thais class as a trawler is not quite the same as a Canadian Trawler..

I worked on an offshore biological research vessel for 5 years doing fish stock studies. I've been down to many docks over the years one of the biggest in Samut Songkhram. The bottom gear they are using is really no different than what they are using in different parts of the world. It is causing the same damage to habitat as other trawlers do. You may not have noticed as I have when you enter a fish market in Thailand the only fish available are juvenile and very small. That's a tell tail sign that sadly their fishery is about to collapse.

"in Thailand the only fish available are juvenile and very small."

Or, perhaps too lazy to put in the work to catch larger fish.

Same approach with many (most) fruits and vegetables that are unripe and small in their diet.

Takes more work to bring them to fruition.

These registered workers are they now being paid or are they just registered slaves?

Have their working conditions been improved in any way? I doubt it. The owners will not easily be made to pay for something they have have taken for granted and reduces their "take"

These long lists of workers will take time to process and then confirm before being "lost" and so the process needs to start again.

It's all meaningless paperwork.

This is the Thai way of solving problems.

So good to see any sort of action. I remember this issue being raised in media over 10 years ago. No one cared. The ILO and International NGOS and agencies concerned with Human Trafficking didn't get involved. I suspect, without being too gender paranoid, that these champions of Human Rights were only really interested in what was happening to women and girls. They didn't bother with this because the thousands of (mostly) Burmese being exploited were almost exclusively male. Documented cases that I remember reading about included young men being starved, chained, often maltreated and even occasionally killed and thrown overboard. And the Thai government wouldn't buy into it because of the usual reasons - mates and money.

So, hats off to the NCPO and General Prayuth. Even to get this far and have workers being registered is a staggering achievement.

"staggering" is a bit over the top. All he did was issue some orders and only 1/3 did as they were told.

Had no choice with all the bad publicity. So far there is just a list but has anyone been arrested? Have any of the slaves been rescued. No mention of any action just names on a bit of paper. Those that have been registered have all probably been persuaded to go back to sea as they enjoy the job so much.

It is good that this issue is not being allowed to die but until there is real action taken to stop the slavery I will reserve judgement and not hope for too much.

• Like 1

I read many years ago that the numbers of the Thai commercial fishing fleet was 44.000 vessels, now they said it's only 10.000 boats! If you fly in from Singapore to Bangkok nighttime during the squid period of the month it looks like a big city down there from the lights from the Squid boats, only this fleet must be more than 10.000 vessels. The size of the Andaman sea fleet is also huge and the Thai boats fishing all over Indonesia and in Burma must be in the thousands as well. I don't trust their numbers.

• Like 1

1/3 report 44,000 illegals. So perhaps there are 88,000 more illegals on the remaining 6,600 boats? But wait, it was just a few weeks ago that everyone was upset about Thailand being downgraded and claiming there were no illegals or slave labor on boats! Oops.

Edited by atsiii

when will someone actually have the balls to enforce the law, instead of playing games with these idiots, they should simply tell them that anyone not reporting to them by the date set will have their fishing licence/s revoked and their boat/s impounded. Thais always seem to keep letting these people off, they give them a set time then keep extending it, they really need to just set a date and anyone not complying made to suffer the consequences and they need to be extended, p*ssy little fines etc are not going to cut the mustard, they need to hit them in the back pocket very hard then they will comply because they will not want to lose money.

• Like 1

1/3 report 44,000 illegals. So perhaps there are 88,000 more illegals on the remaining 6,600 boats? But wait, it was just a few weeks ago that everyone was upset about Thailand being downgraded and claiming there were no illegals or slave labor on boats! Oops.

I'm not sure illegals is the same as slaves and forced labour.... funny that not one has been found, mentioned or admitted.

BS headline with BS results....

And yes the fishing stocks have been on the verge of collapse for quite a while and its rapidly accelerating the past few years, you only have to go to the markets to see the size now.

tick tock.

Edited by englishoak

"staggering" is a bit over the top. All he did was issue some orders and only 1/3 did as they were told.

Had no choice with all the bad publicity. So far there is just a list but has anyone been arrested? Have any of the slaves been rescued. No mention of any action just names on a bit of paper. Those that have been registered have all probably been persuaded to go back to sea as they enjoy the job so much.

It is good that this issue is not being allowed to die but until there is real action taken to stop the slavery I will reserve judgement and not hope for too much.

Ok ok. I'll bite, oh arbiter of adjectives. wink.png I am, in fact, not just staggered. But astonished. A little amazed. Stunned, really. Mostly because it has been more at least 15 years since the plight of male victims of human traficking on Thai fishing boats attracted Human Rights interest. Probably far longer, but I only became aware of it when doing some work with Burmese refugees around year 2000. A good (very brief, so worth a click) article is:

http://www.humantrafficking.org/updates/636

In the intervening years, this issue has attracted national press, NGOs and many solicitous expressions of concern. But SFA has been done. Democrats? Bah! Pheua Thai? Apparently too busy with other, um, projects. The NCPO has only been here for a few months, and there are tangible results in this previously disregarded issue. Money and mates kept it out of the public eye, and certainly away from lawmakers.

Like you, I hope for much more. Time will tell if this first foray into the world of fishing boat slavery leads to more concerted and meaningful action, and whether I am being overly optimistic - or you overly pessimistic. But even to get this far is, well, a little (note the appeasement) staggering.

Is 3,315 fishing trawlers scores? I thought scores were measures of twenties, right?

Why did only 1/3 respond by July 21st deadline (success?? - no), and then the others get extension to 21st August? 2/3 failed to respond. I think that means 2/3 are involved in malfeasance? If no response by 21st August does that mean another extension, and another, to the extent where the high officials are never touched again, cos they continue to hide behind scapegoats? bah.gif

Absolutely right.

Scores X Hundreds of trawler operators list illegal migrant workers.

Ok ok. I'll bite, oh arbiter of adjectives. wink.png I am, in fact, not just staggered. But astonished. A little amazed. Stunned, really. Mostly because it has been more at least 15 years since the plight of male victims of human traficking on Thai fishing boats attracted Human Rights interest. Probably far longer, but I only became aware of it when doing some work with Burmese refugees around year 2000. A good (very brief, so worth a click) article is:

http://www.humantrafficking.org/updates/636

In the intervening years, this issue has attracted national press, NGOs and many solicitous expressions of concern. But SFA has been done. Democrats? Bah! Pheua Thai? Apparently too busy with other, um, projects. The NCPO has only been here for a few months, and there are tangible results in this previously disregarded issue. Money and mates kept it out of the public eye, and certainly away from lawmakers.

Like you, I hope for much more. Time will tell if this first foray into the world of fishing boat slavery leads to more concerted and meaningful action, and whether I am being overly optimistic - or you overly pessimistic. But even to get this far is, well, a little (note the appeasement) staggering.

Sorry but no one in the halls of power here has been unaware or uninvolved, present owners included. The ONLY reason there is any action of any nature at all is purely and only due to international pressure... period.

The Sunday Nation

BANGKOK: -- The operators of 3,315 fishing trawlers have submitted lists with the names of 54,789 migrant workers - 44,357 of them undocumented, the Department of Employment revealed yesterday.

He also said that the 29 one-stop service centres nationwide had so far registered some 270,000 migrant workers.

Pichit Nilthongkham, director of the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, said that by the July 21 deadline set by the junta for all fishing trawlers to report their migrant workers, some 3,315 trawler operators had complied.

Of the 54,789 migrant workers, only 10,432 were legal.

As there are about 10,000 fishing trawlers in operation, Pichit urged all operators to submit a list of names and register undocumented migrant workers at any of 22 coastal service centres by August 21.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Scores-of-trawler-operators-list-illegal-migrant-w-30239557.html

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2014-07-27

Nation must use line a lot

Sent from my C1904 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What's this distinction between trawler operators and trawler owners? I would wager it's more than semantics and happily distances those with loadsamoney and a very public and huge commercial face from the more odious aspects of their business. There's been a token effort to eliminate the slave-trade in the garment sweat shops with Old Navy, Target and others very publicly cleaning up their acts... after the fact. I wonder how long before we see Chicken of The Sea and Princes being similarly named and shamed? Having just gotten our heads around the cruel and inhumane treatment of dolphins by the seafood industry, not any time soon is my guess.

I'm not sure illegals is the same as slaves and forced labour.... funny that not one has been found, mentioned or admitted.

BS headline with BS results....

And yes the fishing stocks have been on the verge of collapse for quite a while and its rapidly accelerating the past few years, you only have to go to the markets to see the size now.

tick tock.

Well, illegal is illegal. Not very easy to enforce even basic rights if there is a massive unregistered working population out there.

This is a good start and shows how non compliant Thailand was. Presumably the vast majority of these workers were not being abused, trafficked or kidnapped, but at the end of the day, if they aren't registered that is a non compliance.