Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

1 hour ago, onthemoon said:

If that's true, that's new. In the past we were informed that the Permanent Residency is not permanent at all and certainly not issued for life; to the contrary, it will be automatically cancelled if you come back to Thailand and that stamp in your books has expired.

In fact, I had once forgotten to get the stamps, and at departure, the immigration officer was kind enough to notice it and ask me whether I really want to lose my PR status. I thanked him, took a taxi to CW to get those meaningless stamps and finally flew to Vietnam on the evening flight.

I understand that due to Covid, expiry has now been extended indefinitely. Does that mean we don't need to get these useless stamps at all any more, and PR has suddenly become permanent? This would be really good news.

Keep in mind that the 'indefinitely' comment came about regarding foreigners holding PR who had departed LOS and then had serious issues/great difficulty to get back to Thailand by the expiry date in their current re-entry stamp (because of Covid- 19 infection spreading, severe difficulties to get a return flight etc.)  and the Thai authorities therefore extended the deadline to return date to indefinitely -  the return trip only. 

The Indefinitely aspect has never been mentioned in terms of totally cancelling the exit/re-entry stamp requirement.

(But it would of course be very welcomed). 

Edited by scorecard

On 7/29/2022 at 8:58 AM, jayboy said:

I have no doubt the pink ID will be universally accepted before long.And yes my mixed experience is based on incidents a few years ago so to that extent I'm out of date.Your account of good experience at banks confirms things are moving in the right direction.

A few days ago I opened a new savings account at K Bank. The officer took my pink card and typed the pink card number into the ID box.

She mentioned that the bank now prefers the pink card number because it links to national databases and because it's for life. Whereas in the past foreigners always gave their passport number as ID but the passport number changed when the passport was renewed at 5 or 10 years. 

She also asked if I had any other K Bank savings accounts, if so I should get the ID number updated to the pink card number to avoid any problems if the account owner can't get access to something because the passport number has exceeded the country of issue expiry date. 

K Bank call centre just confirmed that doing the update (enter the pink ID card number to supercede the passport number) has just changed, it can now be done at any K Branch office.

(Previously had to be done at the branch of issue.

Bank call centre ladies have recently twice mentioned that the bank is moving closer and closer to savingss accounts (all services) being seen as national accounts rather than belonging to a specific branch.) 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, scorecard said:

You mention "

Also I have always thought failure to get back into Thailand before the re-entry expired was an automatic cancelation of the PR."

(NOTE: I have changed the word to be in bold and underlined. scorecard.)

Are you meaning after rather than before?

Well I meant if the return before date on the re-entry permit says 4 March. And you return in August of that year.

Thank you very much for the advice Scorecard. Will drop them an email.

Did try in the past to call to the immigration directly but never managed to get anybody on the phone. Got the impression that they prefer the person to come in person to Chaeng Wattana with any question, hence the number might be slowly staffed ;0), but as it is for me an over 2 hour drive up and down would like to circumvent that if possible.

Thanks!

Ant.

1 minute ago, anthonyT said:

Did try in the past to call to the immigration directly but never managed to get anybody on the phone. Got the impression that they prefer the person to come in person to Chaeng Wattana with any question, hence the number might be slowly staffed ;0), but as it is for me an over 2 hour drive up and down would like to circumvent that if possible.

Thanks!

Ant.

Good luck.

Time for my first overseas trip in 3 years. Can anyone point me to the TM13 and TM22 forms online? I believe someone posted them here a few months ago but I can't find them.

Also, do we need to make an appointment at CW or is it back to walk-in business again?

On 8/15/2022 at 8:55 AM, anthonyT said:

Thanks!

Ant.

I've been told before that in gov't offices if a phone rings an officer who is on another call or with a client is not allowed to answer the ringing phone, not even to quickly say 'please call back'.  

On 8/13/2022 at 11:58 PM, scorecard said:

You mention "

Also I have always thought failure to get back into Thailand before the re-entry expired was an automatic cancelation of the PR."

(NOTE: I have changed the word to be in bold and underlined. scorecard.)

Are you meaning after rather than before?

Well I meant if the return before date on the re-entry permit says 4 March. And you return in August of that year.

7 minutes ago, brianinbangkok said:

CW says at airport imm. to hand in all PR books, and PP and go to CW with a letter they will give you at airport, because I arrive back in TH after the date in re-entry before date.

Also is there a penalty for this or is it just cancelation of PR?

I thought just PR gone.

How did this go when you arrived late in Thailand due to Covid , did you also have to hand in all PR docs @airport. Seem strange as how will I show ID if asked by police once in TH ?

Just be clear, I do not need a PR, I work and live in Europe, but it would be nice too get PR back for when I retire.

Edited by brianinbangkok
add txt

9 hours ago, orientalist said:

Time for my first overseas trip in 3 years. Can anyone point me to the TM13 and TM22 forms online? I believe someone posted them here a few months ago but I can't find them.

Also, do we need to make an appointment at CW or is it back to walk-in business again?

I just walked in. That was back in February. I have never downloaded the forms, I always get them there and fill them in on the spot.

5 hours ago, brianinbangkok said:

CW says at airport imm. to hand in all PR books, and PP and go to CW with a letter they will give you at airport, because I arrive back in TH after the date in re-entry before date.

Also is there a penalty for this or is it just cancelation of PR?

I thought just PR gone.

How did this go when you arrived late in Thailand due to Covid , did you also have to hand in all PR docs @airport. Seem strange as how will I show ID if asked by police once in TH ?

Just be clear, I do not need a PR, I work and live in Europe, but it would be nice too get PR back for when I retire.

"Just the PR gone" means an inch of documents handed in for nothing, waiting for years (6 years in my case) for nothing, and roughly THB 200,000 in official fees down the drain. Maybe it's just me, but I would consider that a penalty.

2 hours ago, onthemoon said:

"Just the PR gone" means an inch of documents handed in for nothing, waiting for years (6 years in my case) for nothing, and roughly THB 200,000 in official fees down the drain. Maybe it's just me, but I would consider that a penalty.

Well it is but would be worse if they add a penalty on top of it ????

when I got my PR it took me only 1 year at the time that was normal. The fee was 100k in my case.

No lawyers.

Edited by brianinbangkok

5 hours ago, brianinbangkok said:

Well it is but would be worse if they add a penalty on top of it ????

when I got my PR it took me only 1 year at the time that was normal. The fee was 100k in my case.

No lawyers.

Yeah, the good ol' times...

And no, I didn't use a lawyer either. For those who do, that would add to the cost too, of course.

Edited by onthemoon

17 hours ago, orientalist said:

I have been using attached for years and complete them in advance. No need to make appointment and it takes about 5 minutes for IO to check forms, documents, receive money, take fingerprints. Never more than 2 people in front of me in the queue.

tm13.pdf tm22.pdf

• Thanks 2

On 8/18/2022 at 6:52 AM, rimmae2 said:

I have been using attached for years and complete them in advance. No need to make appointment and it takes about 5 minutes for IO to check forms, documents, receive money, take fingerprints. Never more than 2 people in front of me in the queue.

tm13.pdfUnavailable tm22.pdfUnavailable

Thank you very helpful. 

To get a new residence certificate (blue/white book) what TM is needed?
Anyone know the cost?

1 hour ago, beeper said:

Thank you very helpful. 

To get a new residence certificate (blue/white book) what TM is needed?
Anyone know the cost?

I can tell you next month. I will just go to CW and renew my book. That's the easiest way to find out.

57 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

I can tell you next month. I will just go to CW and renew my book. That's the easiest way to find out.

Agree. There's a small section (2 officers) who take care of this at CW but (unless it's recently changed) you have to lodge your old PR book etc., and come back in 3 working days to get new book. Each visit 5 - 10 minutes. Last time I did it (maybe 5 years ago) all up 5,700Baht.

I've also received a replacement PR book (old one full) at Chiang Mai Immigration, 2 ladies take care of this while you wait, same fees. I guess similar at Jomtien and several other Immigration offices.

1 hour ago, rimmae2 said:

Look at immigration Bureau website Permanent Residence Book

I looked, I can't find it.

Maybe this might be helpful for a contact number:

Sub Division1 , Immigration Division 1
Chalermprakiat Government Complex , B Building, Floor 2
120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Rd., Soi 7
Tungsonghong, Laksi, Bangkok 10210
Tel 0-2141-7869
Fax 0-2143-8226

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

I looked, I can't find it.

Maybe this might be helpful for a contact number:

Sub Division1 , Immigration Division 1
Chalermprakiat Government Complex , B Building, Floor 2
120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Rd., Soi 7
Tungsonghong, Laksi, Bangkok 10210
Tel 0-2141-7869
Fax 0-2143-8226

See attached.

Permanent Residence Book – สำนักงานตรวจคนเข้าเมือง – Immigration Bureau.pdf

On 8/18/2022 at 6:52 AM, rimmae2 said:

tm13.pdf 86.81 kB · 8 downloads tm22.pdf 82.19 kB · 8 downloads

Excellent! I knew someone had posted these before. Many thanks.

Hi, does anyone have a personal recommendation for an agent (agency, or just a person is fine)? I want to go through my situation to ensure everything is correct. I also want to get feedback on my Thai and what I need to work on to pass the interview, so if they can do that too that would be great.

On the interview itself, I read this on  https://cdn.legamart.com/attachments/2f09f948fb5666f0ff3431358b98d10600bdf1ccc2aae29ae3f3dace51af8780.pdf 

You'll have to clarify them about your documents, your background and religious beliefs. In addition, you have to answer ten multiple-choice questions. These questions will be in Thai, however if you don't know how to read Thai, the immigration officer will be able to assist you. You will also be requested to give a Thai presentation, which will be captured on video

Anyone have examples of the highlighted parts? Like discussing about the documents in Thai? And a presentation, like a presentation about a topic or myself or what is this about? Also in Thai, I assume.

Edited by jombangkok

57 minutes ago, jombangkok said:

Hi, does anyone have a personal recommendation for an agent (agency, or just a person is fine)? I want to go through my situation to ensure everything is correct. I also want to get feedback on my Thai and what I need to work on to pass the interview, so if they can do that too that would be great.

On the interview itself, I read this on  https://cdn.legamart.com/attachments/2f09f948fb5666f0ff3431358b98d10600bdf1ccc2aae29ae3f3dace51af8780.pdf 

Anyone have examples of the highlighted parts? Like discussing about the documents in Thai? And a presentation, like a presentation about a topic or myself or what is this about? Also in Thai, I assume.

Best bet is to head down to CW Immigration and let them have a look at your documents.

They have a dedicated PR desk, wouldnt hurt.

8 hours ago, DrJoy said:

Best bet is to head down to CW Immigration and let them have a look at your documents.

They have a dedicated PR desk, wouldnt hurt.

I agree. They have a list of documents which you need to prepare, and all a lawyer could do is relay that list to you and tick it off one by one. The lawyer cannot do the interview (which will indeed be video-taped) for you. The people at CW are very helpful, and their advice is correct and free.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Re-entry permit question: 

Can someone confirm that the re-entry permit/endorsement is only required when leaving the country after having received PR? Ie., someone who applied for PR in the last round, had his interview and who currently is still waiting would not need a re-entry permit when leaving the country. 

is this correct?

6 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Re-entry permit question: 

Can someone confirm that the re-entry permit/endorsement is only required when leaving the country after having received PR? Ie., someone who applied for PR in the last round, had his interview and who currently is still waiting would not need a re-entry permit when leaving the country. 
is this correct?

You would need a re-entry permit to keep you current permit to stay valid when you enter the country.

• Thanks 1