Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

hello

there's something i'd like to know or ask,is't possible to get thai ID card without first have their resident permit?pls any information will be help

To get a Thai ID card you have to be a citizen. For males, the citizenship process normally requires you to have PR.

its said to have Photocopies of Bank Books. etc..

Now, i copy them the book, the book says 800,000 (eg) But what if i move that money..Will they check with the bank??

No. You don't give them that authority at any point in the process. Anyway, they are more interested in your income over the past 3 years.

Now, i copy them the book, the book says 800,000 (eg) But what if i move that money..Will they check with the bank??

No. You don't give them that authority at any point in the process. Anyway, they are more interested in your income over the past 3 years.

ok great thanx...

also, i just talked with Siam legal who said because my Wife and i are married old thai style (together 6 years) and have not actually signed anything in an office (Jot-Tabien).. well they said i can get PR cos of this... any way around this?

ok great thanx...

also, i just talked with Siam legal who said because my Wife and i are married old thai style (together 6 years) and have not actually signed anything in an office (Jot-Tabien).. well they said i can get PR cos of this... any way around this?

I guess you want to say you can't get PR because of that.

ok great thanx...

If you mean 'Can't' get PR because of that, they are wrong, and I'd suggest you find another law firm, or do it yourself.

You do not have to be married to get it. If you are married to a Thai though, its half-price. I think you have to be married 2 years to get the discount, from what I remember.

I didn't use a lawyer at all, you don't need one its not difficult, just a bit time consuming getting all of the paperwork together. The Immigration people are very helpful, and if you can read and write Thai fluently you will not have any problem understanding what is needed, I'm sure.

Good luck, but be prepared for a wait. I applied in 2006, and am still waiting.

ok great thanx...

If you mean 'Can't' get PR because of that, they are wrong, and I'd suggest you find another law firm, or do it yourself.

You do not have to be married to get it. If you are married to a Thai though, its half-price. I think you have to be married 2 years to get the discount, from what I remember.

I didn't use a lawyer at all, you don't need one its not difficult, just a bit time consuming getting all of the paperwork together. The Immigration people are very helpful, and if you can read and write Thai fluently you will not have any problem understanding what is needed, I'm sure.

Good luck, but be prepared for a wait. I applied in 2006, and am still waiting.

Ooops.. yes i mean CAN'T....

is it worth making it legal, go to the registra and sign to make it legal?..will it benifit the process?

i think i will go to Immigration on monday and look into this..

Thanx for your advice..

I have a friend with a good connection at the interior ministry and a couple of weeks ago he offered to check on the status of my PR application (I'm in the 2006 batch). He has just got back to me and I'm afraid it isn't very good news. Apparently all the PR applications are sitting in a pile in front of the minister's office gathering dust. It doesn't look like anything is going to happen imminently and it was his opinion that perhaps the current minister has no intention of signing them off during his tenure, preferring to leave it to the "permanently" appointed interior minister in the next government.

Sorry to all my fellow applicants that I don't have better news. I only asked about the 2006 batch so have no idea about 2007 but presumably they are sitting in the next pile.

Edited by Dork

Thanks ... very informative ...

I have applied for PR since end 2006 ... but still have not received the letter.

My lawyer said its been approved...there is no problem ... but only waiting for top guys to sign...

I worry ...

What should I do ?

Hi... could you please guide me to the list of PR applicants who made the list in 2008 & 2009 ? Thanks in advance.

I think you will find that there is no publicly available list of successful applicants for 2008 & 2009 or even 2006 & 2007 but the consensus on this forum seems to be that no news is good news. In other words, if you are not rejected fairly early in the process then you can assume that you have passed. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just a bit frustrating, that's all.

:) Just had an email from my former place of employment in BKK saying that a letter has arrived saying my PR has been approved (2006), and that I have to deal with it in 30 days . . . . .

This is SO FRUSTRATING, as I'm out of the country, not working there, and won't be back until mid-December.

I really can't see any way out of this . . . . . I'm stuffed, and all that work in applying is wasted! Does anyone know a good lawyer, who might be able to negotiate on my behalf?

G

Well, you have the choice of coming to Thailand (calling in sick at work, applying for a well-needed vacation, use your phantasy) or forfeiting your application. If you don't live in Thailand, you are not a "permanent resident" anyway, so please do not complain about the Thai government if they don't recognize you as such. How would you defend being a permanent resident in Thailand while being permanently in another country and cannot even come to Thailand to receive your *permanent* residency? I don't get your point, kindly explain.

For the rest of us (who really are permanent residents), thank you for the good news that 2006 applications are being approved eventually.

For your information I will explain.

I lived and worked in Thailand for nineteen years, legally, with a work permit, and decided almost three years to apply for PR. I had decided that Thailand was the place to be, for good. I was told at the time it would take around 18 months for a decision.

Unfortunately, since then two things over which I had no control, happened:

• political problems (presumably) changed the length of time it takes to process applications
  • my job here finished, and, as I found no other suitable job in my field in Thailand, had to search overseas

I do not consider myself "permanently in another country", I consider myself temporarily absent whilst looking for a suitable job to return to.

My frustration is purely that I did what I thought was the right thing, but, circumstances (and I say again) over which I had no control, have ruined my chances.

As a teacher I can't "apply for a vacation" in the middle of a term, nor is it my work ethic to call in sick when I am not.

I think I am entitled to feel very disappointed at the way it has turned out . . . . . .

As Samran says, it is worth making some effort to finalized your PR, if you are sure you want to come and live in Thailand again in the future. I don't think they ask to see your WP or scrutinize your passport to check that you are still resident here but things may have changed. So beware of that point, even if you can come here. It is bad luck how things have worked out but bear in mind that you are no longer technically qualified for PR by virtue of having taken up full time employment in another country.

On another note, it is good news that they are now approving the 2006 batch. Most are probably already qualified to apply for citizenship by now.

Well, I now have the letter of approval, sent to me and dated 6th October. A Thai friend went to Immigration to explain my rather unusual circumstances of being "temporarily absent" from the kingdom and asked them if there was anything that could be done, and they suggested I write to the Director of the Immigration Department and politely ask for a deferment of the due date (and pointing out that I should come in on a proper visa and not a 30 day stamp when I come back). Its a long shot, and even if they grant it, I could still fail at the end. However, as long as I fail before I pay the big money I've come to terms with the situation, and will just eventually get a retirement visa instead.

More news if/when I receive a reply to my letter.

Well, I now have the letter of approval, sent to me and dated 6th October. A Thai friend went to Immigration to explain my rather unusual circumstances of being "temporarily absent" from the kingdom and asked them if there was anything that could be done, and they suggested I write to the Director of the Immigration Department and politely ask for a deferment of the due date (and pointing out that I should come in on a proper visa and not a 30 day stamp when I come back). Its a long shot, and even if they grant it, I could still fail at the end. However, as long as I fail before I pay the big money I've come to terms with the situation, and will just eventually get a retirement visa instead.

More news if/when I receive a reply to my letter.

GR, I really hope that it works out for you.

I cannot imagine how I would be taking it if this happened to me after nearly 3 years - very best wishes and all good luck.

Has anybody else had a letter yet?

Hi All,

Wow, I have now read all 26 pages in this thread and I am overwhelmed – information overload and consequent reboot is in progress.

I am a Swede who has been in BKK Thailand for the last 17 years, I fulfill the requirements for consecutive visas, work permit and tax paid but I have not registered my marriage and will not consider doing so. I have a child with the mother and we do still live together (as of now anyway). I am the legal father of the child and will get shared custody if (when) we break up. I want to maximize my chances of getting the residency approved when I apply.

Now, let's see if I have understood it all, I will write a couple of paragraphs below, can some of you knowledgeable people confirm please :)

Why do I consider humanitarian reasons on basis of child? Well I read http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/doc/r...a_detail_en.pdf

5.2 If the application is approved, the fee for the residence permit is 191,400 baht. However, the residence permit fee for spouses and children (under 20 years of age) of aliens who already had the residence permit or Thai citizens is 95,700 baht.

Does this mean that fee is not linked to if you have a Thai wife or not but rather to for what reason you apply? If you have a Thai wife, then you don't apply in business and pay 95,700 bath (if you are approved of course : ). Is my understanding correct? If apply for residency on the basis of having the child, would the fee be 95,700 or 191,400?

Now, if price is the same in my case, and there is no benefit in applying on bases of having a child, then no need to answer the child specific questions either...

I see myself applying for RP in the category business / work or humanitarian reasons on basis of child. OK, they use a points system, but apart from that… Any reason why one would be more advantageous than the other? Same right?

It is likely that one day the relationship bertween me and the mother will fail and we separate. If I have broken the relationship with the mother but applies for residency on basis of the child, is it possible? And what are my chances? If we still live together but I will not register the wedding, how negative is that? Can I see it as "Better to do business / work, I'll get points for my daughter there anyway"?

I can be rejected and still re-apply next year. Would a rejection negatively affect future applications? How?

A manager in the company I work for got his residency (2005 applicant). He told me that it is important to call down to immigration every day in December to check on progress etc. (or was it also to confirm that they had found nothing missing that he needed to submit? don't think so). The manager insists that calling is crucial to getting application approved and that it was one of the main reasons that he got it approved.

I see nothing of that in this thread, is what he says correct?

There is a lot to do to prepare all documentation and it takes a long time to prepare some of them. Is it OK to get the no-criminal record certificate dated a year or more before handing in the application?

Thanks in Advance

Mikey

Edited by MikeyIdea

2 more questions

What happened with the 50,000 tea money requested a couple of pages back? Did anyone actually have to pay?

I have heard about room 301 at Suan Plu for ages, now with the move to Cheang Wattana, what's the room number? :)

Most importantly, is the staff the same?

Thanks

Mikey

Edited by MikeyIdea

I can help with a couple of your questions, in no particular order, I'm afraid.

1. I think the criminal record certificate must be dated within 3 months of the application date, as must be the stamps and certifications etc. on many of the other documents.

2. The way the process worked with me in 2006 was that I got all (I thought!) of the paperwork together, and went to room 301. The (very helpful) lady then checked it, and sent me away with a to-do list of other items needed, extra stamps, extra translations etc. I then went back and the process was repeated several times, until she was happy I had all of the documents in order. I certainly did not ring every day, or do anything much after that, as eventually they get around to giving you an interview, and sometimes asking for another document, just to see if you are still awake.

3. However, once they have stamped your passport to show that you application is under way (which happened on my first visit), there was no pressure to get the rest of the documents in order before the end of December.

4. I have never been asked for the tea money mentioned. I suspect because I did everything myself, and there is no Thai lawyer or go-between for any high-up to talk to. The concensus seems to be that they would be unlikely to try and talk directly to a farang about something as 'delicate' as that!

5. No idea about the other stuff, I'm afraid. There was mention of 10 points for having the DNA test to prove you were your kids father, but I assume that you would still get those points if you were married or not.

6. Finally, I'm of to ChaengWattana in a week or so for my next extension, so will be able to let you know what room it is then, if nobody does so beforehand.

Good luck, and be patient.

This is an amazing thread...

I am down here in Phuket and feel I finally meet all the requirements to get PR status, but find the delay in processing the applications quite off-putting...

I don't have time to read through 26 pages of posts and would be appreciative if a fellow American could answer the following regarding the certification that I am 'not a criminal'...

After applying at the US Embassy for the fingerprint card, how long does it take to get the certification letter back from the FBI?

I would like to know if I can get it done in time to apply in December...

Many thanks for any help

I am down here in Phuket and feel I finally meet all the requirements to get PR status, but find the delay in processing the applications quite off-putting...

I don't have time to read through 26 pages of posts and would be appreciative if a fellow American could answer the following regarding the certification that I am 'not a criminal'...

After applying at the US Embassy for the fingerprint card, how long does it take to get the certification letter back from the FBI?

Many thanks for any help

I'd get your application in as soon as possible, if I were you.

When I did mine in 2006 there was no time pressure for everything to be 100% perfect by the end of December. If thats all you are waiting for, I'd get the application in anyway.

Many thanks for any help

I'd get your application in as soon as possible, if I were you.

When I did mine in 2006 there was no time pressure for everything to be 100% perfect by the end of December. If thats all you are waiting for, I'd get the application in anyway.

True - I was still correcting documentation up until about May 2007, its the initial application you need to get in on time.

G

grtaylor, I am happy to hear that you received your approval letter (and congratulations!) despite the fact that it isn't the best timing for you. However, it begs the question whether other 2006 applicants have received their approval letters? Surely you can't be the only one? When I phoned the PR section they categorically said that no 2006/2007 applications have been signed by the Minister of Interior.

If anybody else has received their approval letter please speak up.

The plot seems to thicken......

2 more questions

What happened with the 50,000 tea money requested a couple of pages back? Did anyone actually have to pay?

I have heard about room 301 at Suan Plu for ages, now with the move to Cheang Wattana, what's the room number? :)

Most importantly, is the staff the same?

Thanks

Mikey

I was out at Chaengwattana on Monday to get my Non-Quota Immigrant visa and Resident Certificate endorsement (I was a successful 2005 applicant). There are no individual rooms in the new office layout, but the Permanent Resident functions are all performed in Section "E". Staff are all the same crew from Suan Phlu.

grtaylor, I am happy to hear that you received your approval letter (and congratulations!) despite the fact that it isn't the best timing for you. However, it begs the question whether other 2006 applicants have received their approval letters? Surely you can't be the only one? When I phoned the PR section they categorically said that no 2006/2007 applications have been signed by the Minister of Interior.

I have not received notification either for 2006 but my wife who works for The Government checked and was told that they were still waiting to be signed off by The Minister of Interior. Thjey have however sent out the letters to the applicants that failed so not sure what GR Taylor has received as he is in Philippines

Suppose in our case then NO news is GOOD news butwho really knows.

I have not received notification either for 2006 but my wife who works for The Government checked and was told that they were still waiting to be signed off by The Minister of Interior. Thjey have however sent out the letters to the applicants that failed so not sure what GR Taylor has received as he is in Philippines

Suppose in our case then NO news is GOOD news butwho really knows.

The letter I have is signed by the Director General of Immigration. It was sent to my office address as registered at the time I applied. It is not a letter of rejection. . . . . .

Edited by grtaylor

True - I was still correcting documentation up until about May 2007, its the initial application you need to get in on time.

My impression was you had to get the requested documents on the list in with your application by the last working day of December. After that, if they find they missed something or need something extra, it's no problem. I don't know if, say, you were missing one basic document at the time of application, they would allow you to provide it later. I wouldn't count on it.

I was out at Chaengwattana on Monday to get my Non-Quota Immigrant visa and Resident Certificate endorsement (I was a successful 2005 applicant). There are no individual rooms in the new office layout, but the Permanent Resident functions are all performed in Section "E". Staff are all the same crew from Suan Phlu.

Thanks. I will update the first post in the topic about this. The more info we have about the new office and how to reach it, the better. I am not due there for another 10 months.

If it's not stated on the FBI website, call them up and ask them. That's what I did with my home country, just to make sure I had everything straight and knew I wasn't going to miss the deadline.

If it's not stated on the FBI website, call them up and ask them. That's what I did with my home country, just to make sure I had everything straight and knew I wasn't going to miss the deadline.

I guess that's the best way to go...thanks for all the useful info.