Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

My passport is full and I am applying for a new one. Now that I have the PR and no more extensions of stay, do I still need the letter from the embassy for immigration, stating that old passport number 12345 has been replaced with new passport number 56789?

I have changed passports several times since getting PR and no one has ever asked for such a letter from the embassy. When you go along to CW with your new passport you have a choice of having your latest endorsement transferred to the new passport, for which there is I think a small fee, or getting new 1-year endorsements in your passport and residence book for the normal fees, which is worth it, if the endorsements have nearly expired. As your endorsements must be new, it would be better to transfer them over.

I just got my new passport this morning, and hurried to Chaeng Wat armed with old and new passport, PR book, Alien Book, letter from the embassy, money and passport-sized pictures just for good measure.

I was told that they don't transfer visas from the old passport to the new passport. I will just have to carry both passports when I travel abroad until the visa in the old passport has expired, and then I can get a new visa in the new passport. That's it. No fee to pay today. No need for the letter from the embassy.

The lady I talked to is one of the old hands in the PR department, I've dealt with her for many years, so I believe her.

So have you travelled this way through immegration? Was there everything OK? I mean with 2 passports and having Non Immigrant Visa on old book posed no problems?

My passport is full and I am applying for a new one. Now that I have the PR and no more extensions of stay, do I still need the letter from the embassy for immigration, stating that old passport number 12345 has been replaced with new passport number 56789?

I have changed passports several times since getting PR and no one has ever asked for such a letter from the embassy. When you go along to CW with your new passport you have a choice of having your latest endorsement transferred to the new passport, for which there is I think a small fee, or getting new 1-year endorsements in your passport and residence book for the normal fees, which is worth it, if the endorsements have nearly expired. As your endorsements must be new, it would be better to transfer them over.

I just got my new passport this morning, and hurried to Chaeng Wat armed with old and new passport, PR book, Alien Book, letter from the embassy, money and passport-sized pictures just for good measure.

I was told that they don't transfer visas from the old passport to the new passport. I will just have to carry both passports when I travel abroad until the visa in the old passport has expired, and then I can get a new visa in the new passport. That's it. No fee to pay today. No need for the letter from the embassy.

The lady I talked to is one of the old hands in the PR department, I've dealt with her for many years, so I believe her.

So have you travelled this way through immegration? Was there everything OK? I mean with 2 passports and having Non Immigrant Visa on old book posed no problems?

Not yet (planning to travel to Cambodia for a few days next week, but that may be postponed).

I am not talking about a non-immigrant visa. I am talking about a (non-quota) immigrant visa. I don't know whether that makes a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

hi not sure understand your point re batches. i am from 2009. all completed by end 2010. including multi agency panel interview. a colleague also is in exactly the same position

so from early 2011 was awaitin IM signature

How does a 2011 applcation that would have only been completed sometime in 2012 become in an earler batch

Same goes for 2008 application which would have been completed much earler than mine

Perhaps the same way as the small number of applicants from the 2006 and 2007 batches who got their PR during the great freeze and were told to keep quiet about it.

hi not sure understand your point re batches. i am from 2009. all completed by end 2010. including multi agency panel interview. a colleague also is in exactly the same position

so from early 2011 was awaitin IM signature

How does a 2011 applcation that would have only been completed sometime in 2012 become in an earler batch

Same goes for 2008 application which would have been completed much earler than mine

Perhaps the same way as the small number of applicants from the 2006 and 2007 batches who got their PR during the great freeze and were told to keep quiet about it.

Hi -- I have also applied in 2009 and completed all panel interviews etc etc in 2010 same as your case!

Hi

accept your point. However a 2011 application from submission in Dec 2011 to pick up PR Bbok in Jan 2013. less than 13 months From what i rad in this forum is quick even by pre 2006 standards???

I applied in December in the 90s and picked up my book the following December. A friend who applied at the same time as me got his in June, i.e. in 6 months. That was quite normal then. They tried to clear off the previous year's batch before opening for applications again the next year. I can't imagine why they can't do that any more.

Edited by Arkady

Hi

accept your point. However a 2011 application from submission in Dec 2011 to pick up PR Bbok in Jan 2013. less than 13 months From what i rad in this forum is quick even by pre 2006 standards???

I applied in December in the 90s and picked up my book the following December. A friend who applied at the same time as me got his in June, i.e. in 6 months. That was quite normal then. They tried to clear off the previous year's batch before opening for applications again the next year. I can't imagine why they can't do that any more.

If you had the PR already in the 90s, then Why you didn't apply for citizenship earlier Arkaday? I guess you've just applied for it since last 2-3 years only

Hi

If you had the PR already in the 90s, then Why you didn't apply for citizenship earlier Arkaday? I guess you've just applied for it since last 2-3 years only

Got PR in mid/late 90s but sold a business and went into retirement for a few years before I had completed the 5 years' PR necessary to apply for citizenship. When that was done I had to start the 3 years' tax receipts again from scratch due to the gap after I went back to work. Generally kept procrastinating. If I had applied 5 years after getting PR I would have been hit by Purachai's freeze on PR and citizenship which delayed most citizenship applications for 3 years. Things got better for a couple of years after he was banished to NZ for becoming too popular and threatening to outshine the Boss. Now it seems to have got even worse than in his day. I applied about 3 years ago and still waiting for interview and many are waiting 4-5 years for that at present with the prospect of probably another 3 years to complete the process after interview. The moral of the story is don't procrastinate. Things may bet better temporarily but the long term trend is that both PR and citizenship get harder and more and more nasty things are inserted into the ministerial regulations by xenophobes in the bureaucracy who think the lawmakers have been too easy on foreigners.

There were 105 total approvals (including myself, Tom and Dork and many others in TV) for the batch of 2006 who recieved there PR in late 2012, does any one had a link where we can find out the whole list of approved applicants?

Edited by skyaslimit

I apply for pr in the batch of 2011, i heard by my lawyer that everything was ok and i have to wait middle of this year.

Should i present again pnd 91 for 2012 when i will come to pickup it?

Is any other document i should present except passport and work permit?

Some people of 2011 batch got it yet?

I apply for pr in the batch of 2011, i heard by my lawyer that everything was ok and i have to wait middle of this year.

You will need to present the documents as per the list attached to your approval letter you shall receive. I don't think you will need pnd91 to be shown anymore.
  • Like 1

I am also a 2011 applicant, same as in your boat. Don't forget to update us here as soon as you receive your approval letter.

No, you won't need to present the PNG 91. However, they might ask you for your current work permit.

• Like 1

There were 105 total approvals (including myself, Tom and Dork and many others in TV) for the batch of 2006 who recieved there PR in late 2012, does any one had a link where we can find out the whole list of approved applicants?

Where did you get that figure of 105 total approvals from?

When I was @ CW to collect my PR the 2 ladies incharge were talking to their superiors mentioning the number of approved applicants as 105 for the year of 2006.

Ah, thanks. I had heard earlier (and that was still in Soi Suan Plu) that the number of applicants in 2006 were 300. So there must be still almost 200 pending...

As far as my understanding following this thread all over, whole batches of 2006/07/08 have been cleared. Next on the firing line are the 2009/11 batches.

The previous minister who had spent most of his career at the ministry before going into politics in his retirement went through the backlog with a mission. No sign of any interest in this issue from the current minister yet. His priority seems to be amnesty and charter re-write but let's give him a chance.

As far as my understanding following this thread all over, whole batches of 2006/07/08 have been cleared. Next on the firing line are the 2009/11 batches.

The previous minister who had spent most of his career at the ministry before going into politics in his retirement went through the backlog with a mission. No sign of any interest in this issue from the current minister yet. His priority seems to be amnesty and charter re-write but let's give him a chance.

Huh? The Minister of Interior you referred to only resigned at the end of last year so it seems far too early to be talking about his successor focusing on amnesty etc at expense of other matters such as PR.But you are right to identify Khun Yongyuth (PTP) as the minister who cleared the logjam after the long delays and prevarication under the Abhisit government and its predecessors.Many of us have reason to thank Khun Yongyuth, another reason to be grateful to this current government - although I appreciate that doesn't fit in with the narrative some are so attached to.And yet the facts on the PR logjam clearance are crystal clear.

• Like 2

I can't agree more with jayboy that all of us who got PR and who are in line should extend our appreciation to K. Yongyuth to clear PR's pending since 2006. PR are a matter of grave negligence and despite he having his plate full with other more urgent matters really worked towards PR. One must also note that it was him during whose rein at IM officials were banned to use Facebook and other social media during working hours.

• Like 1