Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

It seems that China is about to revise its PR regulations to make it much easier to qualify as a way to attract and retain the expat professional workers it needs to develop its economy. Previously very few were given out and most went to ethnic Chinese married to Chinese nationals and in senior business or academic positions or large investors. Now they are going to make it much easier for those working in China for over 10 years, particularly in the technology sector, without worrying so much about whether they are married to Chinese or in senior positions. The best part is that PRs will get a "green" card that will be their national ID card and allows them to work, lease land like locals and have all civic rights apart from voting.

Perhaps Thailand will suffer an outflow of expats, if it doesn't revise its archaic regulations and painfully slow processes to at least try to catch up with communist countries. An ID card would surely satisfy the bureaucratic control freaks concerns about national security.

Edited by Arkady

The 99% chance was in the case the older interior minister would still be at the office. But since he's gone, so the 99% hope.

Now the new 99% chance is that, no more PR are going to be signed within this year. lol.

2006 batch and few 2007 PR are few real lucky chaps.

I am thinking of writing a letter to new IM, requesting him to help look my case of PR. Will it help or boomerang?

I called CTW last Friday and the officer told me that my 2008 application has been approved. I wanted to confirm, so I went to CTW on Monday and it is just like what I heard on the phone. Now I am just waiting for my approval letter. I asked the lady for the Minister's name and she said "Than Yongyuth".

When I went to CW way back in March 2012 the officer there told me that IM had asked all pending PR details in 2 batches. 1 batch of 2006/7/8 and another 2009/10/11. So it seems 1st set was approved long back but CW was holding it and clearing it year by year.

Anway Great! Only proves that this forum has been great place to share small but important pieces of the puzzle called PR in Thailand.

I went to CW to get my PR. I had small chats with the officers there. I also went through the bulky set of papers maintaing the records of the mine. I am 2007 batch and my papers were signed way back in September by Mr. Yongyut. Same is the case for 2006/7/8. Next years selected candidates are approved some even from 2011 batch...2010 there were no applications accepted.

I went to CW to get my PR. I had small chats with the officers there. I also went through the bulky set of papers maintaing the records of the mine. I am 2007 batch and my papers were signed way back in September by Mr. Yongyut. Same is the case for 2006/7/8. Next years selected candidates are approved some even from 2011 batch...2010 there were no applications accepted.

Are you saying that all approved PRs are back to CW (which would mean CW is now in control of the pace to issue the letters)?

Has anyone been given an ID card when their name was entered on the tabien baan?

Dream on. LOL

The reason why I asked is that I got my name put on the tabien baan yesterday. The tesabaan wanted to issue me with an ID card but they couldn't because the machine was broken. However, they took my telephone number and said they would call me when it was mended.

• Like 1

Are you sure some even 2011 batch also approved? Is the officer who told you this a credible one?

I just stated what was casually told to me. Yes she said some with some sort of reach from 2011 were approved. Obviously majority is waiting from 2009 till 2011. Earlier there used to be 1 set of officers who handled approving and sending approval letters to candidates and ultimately issue PR books. Now there are two sections with different heads so less credibility but again no smoke without fire. This forum is to share whatever info. one may get for any possible help to others. Edited by tamvine
  • Like 1

Has anyone been given an ID card when their name was entered on the tabien baan?

Dream on. LOL

The reason why I asked is that I got my name put on the tabien baan yesterday. The tesabaan wanted to issue me with an ID card but they couldn't because the machine was broken. However, they took my telephone number and said they would call me when it was mended.

Thaiowl: Don't listen to all the sceptics here. You are right, there is a software glitch preventing them issuing ID cards to foreigners with PR.

You will get your ID card soon.

Edited by Dork

Dream on. LOL

Thaiowl: Don't listen to all the sceptics here. You are right, there is a software glitch preventing them issuing ID cards to foreigners with PR.

Never heard of this, nor have two friends with longstanding PR, nor has my lawyer.

Never heard of this, nor have two friends with longstanding PR, nor has my lawyer.

And?

..therefore suggest there is zero chance of foreigners with PR being provided with ID cards, and the suggestion is without any foundation.Red Book is really a PR holder's ID.Perhaps Camerata or Arkady, always very reliable, would comment.

Dream on. LOL

They called me today and I'm going tomorrow to get it.

It would certainly be interesting if members were getting ID cards. A photo with the name blacked out would clear up any doubt. We've had one or two members claiming to have been given a national health card when they got PR, but when I asked about this with the issuing authority the answer was a definite "no."

Given that we all have a valid "mai lek prachachon" I don't see why they couldn't in theory issue a Thai ID card.

It would certainly be interesting if members were getting ID cards. A photo with the name blacked out would clear up any doubt. We've had one or two members claiming to have been given a national health card when they got PR, but when I asked about this with the issuing authority the answer was a definite "no."

Given that we all have a valid "mai lek prachachon" I don't see why they couldn't in theory issue a Thai ID card.

That would be great and I would be delighted if my extreme scepticism was shown to be groundless.

Anything is possible, I agree - but I cannot imagine a District Office being so clueless as to issue a PR holder with a Thai ID card. However, if it is issued, it will have been done so in error by the District Office. The issuance of a Thai ID card is reserved for Thai citizens. PR holders are not Thai citizens. I am certainly very interested, however, to hear what transpires. Having said that - if I was the person who received such a Thai ID card in error, I would not be broadcasting it on a forum like this.

Edited by TheChiefJustice

Anything is possible, I agree - but I cannot imagine a District Office being so clueless as to issue a PR holder with a Thai ID card. However, if it is issued, it will have been done so in error by the District Office. The issuance of a Thai ID card is reserved for Thai citizens. PR holders are not Thai citizens. I am certainly very interested, however, to hear what transpires. Having said that - if I was the person who received such a Thai ID card in error, I would not be broadcasting it on a forum like this.

It may not be the Thai National ID Card. It may be an ID card similar to what is issued to temporary workers from Burmese, Laotioan, Khmer workers these days.

It may not be the Thai National ID Card. It may be an ID card similar to what is issued to temporary workers from Burmese, Laotioan, Khmer workers these days.

I over heard somthing at the amphoe when I applied for the thabian baan that 2 officals were arguing about what number to assign me, one of them was insisting that it should be starting with 8 and the other one on 6 and they had quite a discussion about issuing an ID if I am in blue book. and they took a whole moth for considration and I have recieved a fax stating that my thabien baan is ready and I can collect it. I dont know what I am going to face when I go to collect it.

It should be starting from 8. This is what assigned for aliens who receive permanent residence. And the same ID number starting from 8 will be your Thai ID card number as well should you decide to apply for thai citizenship and receive it. ID numbers starting from 6 are for temporary alien residents i.e. any alien who has not received permanent residence. They can either be illegal immigrants, work permit holders etc. etc.

It should be starting from 8. This is what assigned for aliens who receive permanent residence. And the same ID number starting from 8 will be your Thai ID card number as well should you decide to apply for thai citizenship and receive it. ID numbers starting from 6 are for temporary alien residents i.e. any alien who has not received permanent residence. They can either be illegal immigrants, work permit holders etc. etc.

Yes, a yellow household book holder receives a ID number starting with 6.

• Like 1

I am also interested to know what kind of ID card Thai Owl will come back with. I think they should all know that a Thai ID card denotes Thai nationality and I would put my money on them having a stab at issuing a foreign labourer's ID card which will be difficult because there are only three choices of nationality. But anything can happen here.

• Like 1

Re the gold card for health care. I went up to the department at the Amphur that issues these a year ago to enquire about my rights when I was at there for some other business. The officer had a look in the computer and found my details listed as someone who had been issued with a gold card. I already had PR when the original issue of gold cards was made and I remember getting a letter saying I was entitled to a gold card but I assumed it was a mistake because I am not Thai and didn't pursue it at the time. I don't remember receiving the actual gold card in the mail and perhaps I was supposed to go and collect it at the Amphur. I was told that the original regulations gave gold cards to everyone on a tabien baan, possibly due to an oversight, but they were later amended to exclude foreigners. However, I am apparently grandfathered in and, although they can't issue me with a new card, I am entitled to treatment at a named hospital in the Amphur on production of my passport and tabien baan. The hospitals have the same database and Thais can also get treatment by showing their ID card and tabien baan, if they are in the system in that Amphur. In fact the actual gold cards are no longer really necessary. So far I haven't tried to use it.

• Like 1

Re the gold card for health care. I went up to the department at the Amphur that issues these a year ago to enquire about my rights when I was at there for some other business. The officer had a look in the computer and found my details listed as someone who had been issued with a gold card. I already had PR when the original issue of gold cards was made and I remember getting a letter saying I was entitled to a gold card but I assumed it was a mistake because I am not Thai and didn't pursue it at the time. I don't remember receiving the actual gold card in the mail and perhaps I was supposed to go and collect it at the Amphur. I was told that the original regulations gave gold cards to everyone on a tabien baan, possibly due to an oversight, but they were later amended to exclude foreigners. However, I am apparently grandfathered in and, although they can't issue me with a new card, I am entitled to treatment at a named hospital in the Amphur on production of my passport and tabien baan. The hospitals have the same database and Thais can also get treatment by showing their ID card and tabien baan, if they are in the system in that Amphur. In fact the actual gold cards are no longer really necessary. So far I haven't tried to use it.

Thanks for this post. It explains why at some amphurs people who register themselves on a yellow household registration book get the card for free health care. I knew that was probably a mistake, but this explains where the mistake comes from.

Does anyone know what happens if we lose our PR book while out of the country? One would hope Immigration would stamp us in at the border and the paperwork would later be resolved at CW (presumably with a fine and the issuing of a new book).

Does anyone know what happens if we lose our PR book while out of the country? One would hope Immigration would stamp us in at the border and the paperwork would later be resolved at CW (presumably with a fine and the issuing of a new book).

I think only immigration can answer it. What I have known is that, at the time of entry in thailand, if you dont have the residence book, you lose your PR status since they need to stamp it.

Hi, I got my PR got the endorsement done on it and had passport stamped with multiple entries for Non Quota immigrant visa.

I am leaving country tomorrow.

Could someone reconfirm to me that only documents I carry are my passport and PR (blue) book?

Edited by tamvine

Tamvine, yes that's correct (and therefore no need to carry the red "Alien" book) and have immigration stamp both your passport and blue PR book. As also noted by one other poster, completion of the arrival / departure card is now reversed (ie same as a Thai traveller) whereby on departure from Thailand you complete both the arrival and departure card, they remove the departure card and staple the arrival card into your passport. On return to Thailand they remove the arrival card.

• Like 1

Tamvine, yes that's correct (and therefore no need to carry the red "Alien" book) and have immigration stamp both your passport and blue PR book. As also noted by one other poster, completion of the arrival / departure card is now reversed (ie same as a Thai traveller) whereby on departure from Thailand you complete both the arrival and departure card, they remove the departure card and staple the arrival card into your passport. On return to Thailand they remove the arrival card.

Thanks for the quick and I noticed your first post which is valuable information to all at this TV forum who still are not sure about it. Welcome to TV forum.