Camerata's Guide To The Permanent Residence Process

Thank you Ubonjoe...but i felt uncomfortable because i can not open the page that you send me, but i found the website and is plenty of informations, i did not see the page for the eventually partneship company facepalm.gif.

I think that i need an english course before the WP!!wai2.gif

wai.gif tnx again

I have heard of people getting WPs working for partnerships (or sole proprietorships) that were wholly Thai owned but it is difficult to set up a partnership with a foreign partner because the partnership is likely to be asked to apply for an alien business licence, if it is a 50-50 Thai foreign partnership. You would also be subjected to requirements to produce audited accounts by Immigration and the Labour Ministry which would defeat the purpose of having a partnership. A limited company is much more practical, if you want to set up a business that you will work in with a work permit.

In your situation, I think you would do better to aim for citizenship than PR, since you have a Thai wife, assuming you are not German, Austrian, Norwegian or similar anally retentive nationality that has a problem with dual nationality. While Immigration is suspicious as a result of being used to dealing with foreign fraudsters and tends to have secret internal guidelines for PR stricter than the published ones, this is not the case with Special Branch that handles citizenship applications. They tend to go strictly by the legal guidelines, although I don't advise using a totally fake company, as the National Intelligence Agency might investigate it. It is also advised to have no shares at all in the company you work for because being a shareholder subjects the company to an extra level of scrutiny (for citizenship applications) and audited financial statements are then required. Note that audited statements of your employer are required for PR even if you are not a shareholder. In general the amount and intensity (i.e. levels of notarisation) of documentation required for PR is a lot more onerous than for citizenship. No logic to this - just two different parts of the police with different experiences and priorities. For example: police clearance from your home country required for PR but not for citizenship; educational credentials need to be notarised for PR but not for citizenship. Oh and I nearly forgot - the application fees for citizenship are significantly less.

Just wondering, will there be any benefits for Thai PR holders, in terms of visas, travelling, investments etc. after the launch of ASEAN community next year?

No. Not even citizenship will give much benefits.

This is a bit off-topic here, but the AEC does favour ASEAN citizens. For example free movement of skilled labour, or foreign investment of up to 70%. Some laws will still have to be changed in some countries, but that is what the Blueprint says. I can send you a copy of the Blueprint but would rather not do it within this topic.

PR holders are not citizens of ASEAN (unless they are anyway, of course), so it makes no difference at all whether or not you are PR holder in any ASEAN country or not.

ASEAN has not got much further than allowing other ASEAN to get 30 day visas on arrival to visit each other's countries. The freedom of labour movement agreement is very basic, as Mario points out, and countries like Thailand are doing their best to maintain language restrictions to keep out those 7 professions, unless they can pass exams in Thai.

Schengen countries will let in people who normally need a visa, if they have UK or Irish PR and Mexico will let you in, if you have US PR etc. But those countries tend to have visa stamps that are very easy for other countries to understand. Thailand does not and issues no official ID card to PRs, only the resident and alien books in Thai.

If you have a farang passport, you can already visit all ASEAN countries except for Burma without a visa or with a visa on arrival. It's not going to get any better than that, if you have PR in an ASEAN country.

ASEAN has not got much further than allowing other ASEAN to get 30 day visas on arrival to visit each other's countries. The freedom of labour movement agreement is very basic, as Mario points out, and countries like Thailand are doing their best to maintain language restrictions to keep out those 7 professions, unless they can pass exams in Thai.

Schengen countries will let in people who normally need a visa, if they have UK or Irish PR and Mexico will let you in, if you have US PR etc. But those countries tend to have visa stamps that are very easy for other countries to understand. Thailand does not and issues no official ID card to PRs, only the resident and alien books in Thai.

If you have a farang passport, you can already visit all ASEAN countries except for Burma without a visa or with a visa on arrival. It's not going to get any better than that, if you have PR in an ASEAN country.

I'd love to discuss this, but can we move it to a new thread? I think it is off-topic in the PR thread.

I am still in the pending PR visa category, part of the 2009 application batch and the visa that comes just with application for PR has been great particularly when I've been between jobs, to date I do 6 monthly visa renewals, does anyone know if I can do 12 monthly renewals rather than 6? I might be out the country for more than 6 months and really do not want to lose my PR pending visa.

This is going back a few years, but when I asked about the 12-month extension they said I could do it but it would be the regular extension with full documentation required each time. So I stayed with the 6-month, no-hassle extension.

• Like 2

I think that in many cases, once you have been accepted and approved, it does not matter what you do. You may be able to leave the country for 2 years and then come back on a tourist visa and still get permanent residence as long as you show up within the 30 days of the notification letter. Anybody know otherwise?

I think that in many cases, once you have been accepted and approved, it does not matter what you do. You may be able to leave the country for 2 years and then come back on a tourist visa and still get permanent residence as long as you show up within the 30 days of the notification letter. Anybody know otherwise?

If you arrive on a tourist visa, I heard that your application is automatically cancelled.

When you leave, you need to have a re-entry permit, and you must come back within the validity of it (which will be as long as your current visa).

If you arrive on a tourist visa, I heard that your application is automatically cancelled.

When you leave, you need to have a re-entry permit, and you must come back within the validity of it (which will be as long as your current visa).

That's correct. You must have a valid re-entry permit, or your PR application is automatically cancelled.

During my 6 year 'waiting period' I left on business, and at Swamp immigration they could not find my re-entry permit in my passport, and told me my PR application would be cancelled if I left. When I found the current re-entry permit for them, it was smiles all round and they happily waved me on my way!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible for a PR holder get a Reentry and Non Quota visa on Suvarnabhumi Airport?

Reason for asking this question is that just in case someone has to leave urgently and it is a holiday.

I have heard about re-entry permits being issued at Suvarnabhumi, but as a PR holder you don't need that.

You need a multiple-entry Non Quota Immigrant Visa, and the endorsement in the PR book itself. I have never heard that this can be done at Suvarnabhumi. Don't risk it.

Is it possible for a PR holder get a Reentry and Non Quota visa on Suvarnabhumi Airport?

Reason for asking this question is that just in case someone has to leave urgently and it is a holiday.

No, it's not possible. If you have to leave urgently and your re-entry and non-quota expire before you return to Thailand, your PR will be cancelled immediately in accordance with the 1979 Immigration Act. There is no appeal against this and no explanations are accepted because the law doesn't provide for any exceptions whatsoever.

If there is any chance at all you might have to leave Thailand in an emergency or that a trip overseas might be unexpectedly extended beyond your renewal dates, including unforeseen accident or illness, the sensible course of action is to renew early. I have just done this for peace of mind prior to leaving on a trip, just in case for whatever reason my return to Thailand is delayed, as there was only a small margin between my return date and the renewal date. Having PR cancelled like that to me is something I wouldn't want to contemplate. It happened to a friend who unexpectedly had to have life saving surgery while visiting in the UK.

Hi!

anybody ever tried to get the Pink ID card in Pattya / Banglamung Chonburi?

Thanks for help!

No, haven't heard of anyone doing this.

A friend was rejected by Suan Luang DO in Bkk. Usual comment about these cards being only for foreign labourers.

Anyone heard of other Bkk DOs issuing them? I haven't.

No, it's not possible. If you have to leave urgently and your re-entry and non-quota expire before you return to Thailand, your PR will be cancelled immediately in accordance with the 1979 Immigration Act. There is no appeal against this and no explanations are accepted because the law doesn't provide for any exceptions whatsoever.

If there is any chance at all you might have to leave Thailand in an emergency or that a trip overseas might be unexpectedly extended beyond your renewal dates, including unforeseen accident or illness, the sensible course of action is to renew early. I have just done this for peace of mind prior to leaving on a trip, just in case for whatever reason my return to Thailand is delayed, as there was only a small margin between my return date and the renewal date. Having PR cancelled like that to me is something I wouldn't want to contemplate. It happened to a friend who unexpectedly had to have life saving surgery while visiting in the UK.

I think tamvine is talking about not having the Imm Visa in the passport at all, trying to save money, and only wanting to apply for it when he/she needs to leave.

I do keep re-entry and non-quota updated all the times. However I seldom go out of country so thought of saving pages in passport and PR book. But you never know of emergencies so was wondering if this can be done while exiting the country. Anyway thanks for clarification and got to agree with you to keep it ready all the times.

Hi!

Thanks for help!

A friend was rejected by Suan Luang DO in Bkk. Usual comment about these cards being only for foreign labourers.

Tried hard at Don Mueang DO but they insist not required for PR holders.

Hi!

Thanks for help!

Tried hard at Don Mueang DO but they insist not required for PR holders.

It is not "required", but we still can apply for it. I had to show the handbook to the Prakhanong DO. They first insisted it is for Cam/Lao/Myan people only.

However, this discussion should really be continued in the dedicated thread, I suggest:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/590057-thai-non-thai-id-card-for-permanent-residents

I hold a PR but currently work in Europe. I return to Thailand every year in order to hold on to the PR. This year I will fly in November, my passport is only valid until April next year. The way I see it, I need to get a new passport, then travel to Thailand in November with the new and old (invalid) passport. Immigration will see the re-entry in my old passport, and stamp the new passport.

Is this correct?

Can anyone recommend an experienced immigration lawyer based in Bangkok that can assist me with the process of applying for permanent residency. Having done some basic research on the topic I believe I have a quite reasonable liklihood of success and therefore want an "above board" lawyer rather than one that make seek to involve some under the table deal.

Yes.However it must be private reply.Or it gets flag.

I hold a PR but currently work in Europe. I return to Thailand every year in order to hold on to the PR. This year I will fly in November, my passport is only valid until April next year. The way I see it, I need to get a new passport, then travel to Thailand in November with the new and old (invalid) passport. Immigration will see the re-entry in my old passport, and stamp the new passport.

Is this correct?

That would work. Just show both passports on entry. Then go immigration to get it all sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

There have been no changes to the requirements. Info here on immigration website: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=residence

You will be able to apply in December after they (maybe) make an announcement for the dates you can apply.

As far as I know there have been no approvals done since early 2012 when they worked to clear a 3 year backlog of application. There are people still waiting that applied in 2009.

• Like 1

There have been no changes to the requirements. Info here on immigration website: http://immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=residence

You will be able to apply in December after they (maybe) make an announcement for the dates you can apply.

As far as I know there have been no approvals done since early 2012 when they worked to clear a 3 year backlog of application. There are people still waiting that applied in 2009.

I applied in 2007 and still waiting !

Reading on threads about T.M.30 , I hold a PR and am registered in my father in laws blue house book. But only actually visit Thailand once a year to keep my PR and visit the family. What reports need to made? As far as the local police are concerned none as I am registered there and they updated my red book.

Edited by brianinbangkok

Under the Immigration Act a cabinet resolution is required to establish the PR quota for the year which is always routinely set at the maximum allowed of 100 per nationality and 50 stateless persons. There is currently no cabinet but should be one by next month. It will be interesting to see if they get around to issuing the quota in time for applications this December. Methinks they will as military installed governments usually like to show they are efficient, even though not elected.

I know that a Permanent Resident gets added to the blue household registration book that shows a Thai national as house master (เจ้าบ้าน). If a Permanent Resident owns his place of residence, has the blue book for it and is the head of the household, can he be entered in this blue book as the house master? This question is being discussed here and from several posts in this topic I got the impression that it is the correct thing to do.