Work for farangs in Cambodia?

willyumiii

I'm going through one of my " I want to get as far away from my wife's Thai family as I can" phases.

I will probably get over it, but, I've been wondering.......

I've read on TV that Cambodia is one of the better places for a farang in Thailand to relocate to.

"The visa process is pretty easy and it's a lot like Thailand was years ago" I have read.

What is the situation in Cambodia for farangs who still want to work?

Are work permits difficult to obtain or even required?

Is there a list of jobs farangs can not do, as there is in Thailand?

Are jobs for farangs pretty much limited to teaching English as in Thailand.

Are there even teaching jobs available in Cambodia?

I have a need to keep busy and for additional, even if a small, income until my pension starts in a couple of years.

Anyone on TV have experience on life in Cambodia?

Expert advice from those who never leave their computer screens in Bangkok is not what I seek.

I seek information, not speculation.

Thanks in advance.

Hi, I looked into living/working in Cambodia a few years ago, and travelled there several times, (and also briefly worked there as a software engineer).

You need to check up on the current situation, but AFAIK:

- You can 'buy' a 1-year, annual-renewable business visa at the border for a few hundred USD

- Although you theoretically need a work permit, the admin process seems contradictory and few are issued - most foreigners work without the WP and without problems

- There is no list of prohibited professions, no requirement to employ 4 Khmers etc.

- There are teaching jobs, (not as many as Thailand), and there are jobs in the 'international' (==> English programme) which pay about $1500/month

Hope that helps

Simon

I think Bald Eagle has already done that and had his time with Khmer 440.Not necessarily the best place for info.

Visa. The 'ordinary' Visa is USD 25 at the border for 1 month, extendable in PP for 283 USD for another year. Price depends on the agent you use. 283 seems to be the lower end. You cannot get a 1-year ordinary at the border. Some claim that they had a chance to get one at PP airport but no proof of that so far. So dont count on it.

Work permit: There is currently an online debate on K440 and CambodiaExpatsOnline dot com about the need to obtain a work permit. Cost USD 100. So far, the info is vague as to whether non-working expats are also required to obtain it. So it is not difficult to get the permit, it is almost forced on you. The reverse from Thailand.

K440 has a section called the 'staff room' with info on teaching.

OP, please read the K440 thread re the enforcement of work permits, particularly the part about the fines. No direct experience and I have no intention of ever seeking to work in Cambodia, but it would appear that Thailand isnt the only place enforcing rules they claim to have 'let slide' for many years.

They started enforcing work permit requirement early last year. Cost in 2013 was $100 year. If they catch you without it (and you have been working) you'll have to pay for it retroactively. People have been caught by police for this, in PP at least they are getting good at tracking down people who work. I have heard of offices being raided and also police coming to people's homes.

Article 261 of the Cambodian Labour Law: "The work permit is valid for one year and may be extended as long as the validity of extension does not exceed the fixed period in the residency permit of the person in question". Article 262: a work permit may be revoked by the Ministry in Charge of Labour " where the holder is competing with Cambodian job seekers, or where ‘the holder is unemployed for more than one month or is hired by another employer’. The Ministry in Charge of Labour, "shall issue a Prakas for the issuance of work permits and employment cards to foreign workers" and a joint Prakas of the Ministry in Charge of Labour and the Ministry of Economics and Finance "shall set the rate of the fee for issuing such work permits and employment cards".

They are now requiring health exams as part of the process of getting the permit. Nothing elaborate tho.

The intent seems to be to insure foreigners pay Cambodian income tax, not to deter them from working per se and the process is not onerous.

There is NO requirement to have a work permit if you do not work in Cambodia.

I do not know whether/how much this is being enforced outside of PP but it is definitely now being enforced there.

• Like 1

Hi, I looked into living/working in Cambodia a few years ago, and travelled there several times, (and also briefly worked there as a software engineer).

You need to check up on the current situation, but AFAIK:

- You can 'buy' a 1-year, annual-renewable business visa at the border for a few hundred USD

- Although you theoretically need a work permit, the admin process seems contradictory and few are issued - most foreigners work without the WP and without problems

- There is no list of prohibited professions, no requirement to employ 4 Khmers etc.

- There are teaching jobs, (not as many as Thailand), and there are jobs in the 'international' (==> English programme) which pay about $1500/month

Hope that helps

Simon

u can get a single entry ordinary visa for $25 at the border which you than renew at a cost of about $285 for another year.

They are just mow starting to make ALL FARANGS have wp ( yep ALL< even those that don't work) not a big deal as its about $100/year.

Teaching jobs pay $8-10/hour but ur lucky to get 25 hours/week, unless u have lots of experience and degrees and the hours suck ( usually 8-10 am an than 6-8 pm for the first few months or ........

If you can nail a teaching job at an international school they pay as much as here ( $2-3,000.month) but they don't hire locally

Whats good is if u open a business you can do everything , ie take orders, cook, serve, clean up, as ur going to have to as you wont have enough guests to be able to employ locals

• Like 1

Sheryl,

thank you for the info! It is the very best data I have seen so far among all those dozens of pages covering the topic in different places.

The law you quoted seems to be in contradiction to what some members on other forums claim to be happening now. They are not very specific and a lot is rumor. Phuket Richard's info tends to point into the same direction.

I am in a situation where I have the one year visa and no record of work and also no intention to start working. What would be my options in case the rumors/info are true and I am stopped and asked to present a work permit?

I know this question might be a bit difficult to answer but i nevertheless put it. Maybe you have an idea. I am sure I am not the only one wondering about it.

The reason most people talking about work permits are not very specific is because there's been no real crackdown. A few people have been caught in Phnom Penh but I know at least a hundred who haven't been. I don't know anyone who has personally in SR or PP. That's an overwhelming case that a tiny vocal minority have been unlucky rather than mass enforcement. The topic is currently a "hot topic" because the government announced via the Phnom Penh Post that they would be cracking down on work permits. The how, why and what that means have yet to come to light.

In order to enforce a work permit; they have to catch you working - if they do, they are quite within their rights to fine you (I think it's $100-$200 per year of E-visa plus the costs of the permits you didn't buy). They have as yet not arrested any Western expat for failure to have a permit but again they are within their rights to do so. Only repeat offenders may be jailed.

If you are not working and are asked to show a work permit, you simply state that you do not have one because you do not work in cambodia.

there is absolutely no legal basis for requiring a wp from farang who do not work.

of course if you are comparatively young and living full time in camb and say you don't work, that may raise other questions...

Never been in Cambodia be I'm curious, how much do I need to invest to buy a buisness that would allow 2 persons to live confortably there?

Not really interested in running a bar, but a bungalow resort close to the beach or a guest house in Sihanoukville, how much would it cost? And is it worth it?

Never been in Cambodia be I'm curious, how much do I need to invest to buy a buisness that would allow 2 persons to live confortably there?

Not really interested in running a bar, but a bungalow resort close to the beach or a guest house in Sihanoukville, how much would it cost? And is it worth it?

How long is a piece of string? Define "comfortably", define what you want to do and not what you don't want to do and you might be able to come to a satisfactory conclusion. I started my business with $0 and live more than comfortably; but it's not a path for everyone. I know others who've invested hundreds of thousands of dollars to reach "comfortable" and a couple that lost millions and then found "comfortable" in a much simpler life.

A bungalow resort in SHK is probably commercial suicide though. In recent history; the local officials allow these resorts to be built, and then they decide to confiscate the land, bulldoze what's there and wait for the next sucker to pony up some cash. Depending on the state of the resort you might be talking $20,000 - $500,000 to purchase one.

Why is it that some people when quoting prices like to do so in Dollars. I am from Europe but always give prices in Thai Baht, not in Euro....assuming that will make it easy for all on this forum to understand how much I'm talking about. I have friends from the USA who do the same thing when we are socializing over a coffee or something. They will talk about prices in Dollars. so, seeing as I'm European, I have to convert it into Euros first and then into thai Baht to understand what the price is. I'm sure if I quoted prices to them in Euro I would get some strange looks from them.....like....Why are you talking to me in Euro terms....don't you know I'm American?

Yes of course its worth it nico-- I just happen to have a few for sale at the moment.....(Your timing is great) .... You can buy, then just sit back , put your feet up & count the money.

Give me a PM..................................coffee1.gif

*** Also Have a bridge for sale in Sydney if that's more to your liking.....

The brain is the most outstanding organ. It works non-stop, from the very second you're born …..until you come to Thailand.

Edited by sanuk711

Prices in this thread are quoted in dollars because USD is the currency used in Cambodia; this is not some American-centric plot to distress Europeans. I'm from the UK but the international currency is the dollar. Most of the currencies in this region are either tightly or loosely pegged to the dollar, I get paid in dollars, and the currency of the country I live in is the dollar - why would I convert to GBP or Euro?

True. ATMs also give out dollars.

You would need to be a cut above the beach bum, pothead scumbags that are leaving LoS in their droves in search of the new easy option in life. Competition for unqualified teaching jobs will become quite tough I would imagine as things progress in the next couple of years. Of course if you are fully qualified you will have no difficulty at all I should imagine!

You would need to be a cut above the beach bum, pothead scumbags that are leaving LoS in their droves in search of the new easy option in life. Competition for unqualified teaching jobs will become quite tough I would imagine as things progress in the next couple of years. Of course if you are fully qualified you will have no difficulty at all I should imagine!

How do you know he is'nt?? if he had the right credentials he'd be working in the country of his choice ....THAILAND , Right? I dont buy ''I have to get away from my wifes family'' crap.

Why is it that some people when quoting prices like to do so in Dollars. I am from Europe but always give prices in Thai Baht, not in Euro....assuming that will make it easy for all on this forum to understand how much I'm talking about. I have friends from the USA who do the same thing when we are socializing over a coffee or something. They will talk about prices in Dollars. so, seeing as I'm European, I have to convert it into Euros first and then into thai Baht to understand what the price is. I'm sure if I quoted prices to them in Euro I would get some strange looks from them.....like....Why are you talking to me in Euro terms....don't you know I'm American?

The US Dollar is the currency used in Cambodia. ..get used to it and if you can't convert easily from one currency to another use a calculator.

• 2 weeks later...

Please note that the entry visa fee for Cambodia has just gone up by $10. It's the first raise in over 10 years. So the 1 month initial visa is now $35 not $25 for those looking to live here and a tourist visa is now $30 not $20. Don't forget that you cannot extend a tourist visa for more than an extra month; so don't try and save money if you're coming to live here by buying a tourist visa. For the moment 3 month, 6 month and 1 year extensions remain the same price as before.

Please note that the entry visa fee for Cambodia has just gone up by $10. It's the first raise in over 10 years. So the 1 month initial visa is now $35 not $25 for those looking to live here and a tourist visa is now $30 not $20. Don't forget that you cannot extend a tourist visa for more than an extra month; so don't try and save money if you're coming to live here by buying a tourist visa. For the moment 3 month, 6 month and 1 year extensions remain the same price as before.

Not in effect till Oct. 1, 2014. http://www.mfaic.gov.kh/default.aspx?id=4234

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sounds like teaching at an International School making 2-3K US dollars a month would be ideal.

Good luck with that. There is only one school in Siem Reap paying that much and perhaps 2 or 3 in Phnom Penh. I have two fully qualified Australian teacher friends working at an international school in Siem Reap and they are each picking up barely more than $1K USD/month.

• 4 weeks later...

I think Bald Eagle has already done that and had his time with Khmer 440.Not necessarily the best place for info.

Visa. The 'ordinary' Visa is USD 25 at the border for 1 month, extendable in PP for 283 USD for another year. Price depends on the agent you use. 283 seems to be the lower end. You cannot get a 1-year ordinary at the border. Some claim that they had a chance to get one at PP airport but no proof of that so far. So dont count on it.

Work permit: There is currently an online debate on K440 and CambodiaExpatsOnline dot com about the need to obtain a work permit. Cost USD 100. So far, the info is vague as to whether non-working expats are also required to obtain it. So it is not difficult to get the permit, it is almost forced on you. The reverse from Thailand.

K440 has a section called the 'staff room' with info on teaching.

You're right, can't get the 1-year extension at the border, but any number of agents in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap (and perhaps Sihanoukville?) can get an extension done for just under US$300 for one year, a little more than half for 6 months.