Ducati Monster 821 to replace 796 in Thailand. Soon...

Shurup

So went down to the Motor Expo yesterday. The Monster 821 is coming either end of 2015 or early 2016. They didn't know why it comes here so late but one reason might be that they will be completely loaded at the factory with Scambler orders as they build them for the whole asian market and it seems they sell very well. They have a capacity of 40 Scramblers daily. Much more than the other models.

Bought a Diavel. smile.png Put a 50k thb deposit with the rest of the cash due at the delivery time, which is this coming Thursday.

The Ducati bunch are very tight <deleted>, couldn't squeeze any freebies or extra discounts out of them. It's only a free insurance and registration, tank pad and a 20k cash back voucher that you get out of them. The cash back voucher can be used towards the bike purchase to I will only pay 899k.

The sales guy told me something that confused me. He said I don't need the residence certificate until I receive a license plate and go to register it with the bike. Does it sound correct? I remember when my wife and me bought a Ninja (on her name) all the documents were completed on the spot at Kawa shop and the green book and a license plate arrived by mail a month or so later, everything was already registered and done.

But now I need to go somewhere else to register it AFTER I pick the bike up? Confusing.

I provided all the documents (passport, work permit etc) on the day I collected the bike, then I received the plate and book in my name around 2 months later (last Saturday).

That was Ducati Vibhavadi. Seems weird not to provide the documents until you get the plate...

So went down to the Motor Expo yesterday. The Monster 821 is coming either end of 2015 or early 2016. They didn't know why it comes here so late but one reason might be that they will be completely loaded at the factory with Scambler orders as they build them for the whole asian market and it seems they sell very well. They have a capacity of 40 Scramblers daily. Much more than the other models.

The Thailand factory is not yet setup to build the 821; as you mentioned they are focusing on the Scrambler, as this will be the first Ducati only assembled in Thailand and sold worldwide (Normally Thai assembled ducs going to ASEAN countris only)

Bought a Diavel. smile.png Put a 50k thb deposit with the rest of the cash due at the delivery time, which is this coming Thursday.

The Ducati bunch are very tight <deleted>, couldn't squeeze any freebies or extra discounts out of them. It's only a free insurance and registration, tank pad and a 20k cash back voucher that you get out of them. The cash back voucher can be used towards the bike purchase to I will only pay 899k.

The sales guy told me something that confused me. He said I don't need the residence certificate until I receive a license plate and go to register it with the bike. Does it sound correct? I remember when my wife and me bought a Ninja (on her name) all the documents were completed on the spot at Kawa shop and the green book and a license plate arrived by mail a month or so later, everything was already registered and done.

But now I need to go somewhere else to register it AFTER I pick the bike up? Confusing.

congrats bro.

happy and safe rides!

great bike diavel is.

• Like 1

The quick review would come shortly on Thursday or Friday. I will go straight to Korat after I pick the bike up and that is about 400 km trip. Gonna have an oil change and then back to moo ban. It will hey a nice break in and a first service all in a first day!

Congrats, i've been admiring them recently, especially the carbon which I saw for the first time on saturday.

They are very tight, when the phuket branch was opened, i bought an 848 in their first month or so, they gave me t-shirts and all sorts, practically a fanfair when i picked it up, 3 years later i picked up a hyper, didnt even get the insurance or registration, got nothing, not even a handshake on collection haha.

I provided cert of residence on collection both times, but both times the plate didnt come for months, so I got a phone call when they were ready to register it then had to go and do the certificate again as the first ones expired - seems to be the way with ducati, no hyper owners had their plates on TV for many months, got mine after 10 months!

Enjoy the new ride!

Edited by B1ade
  • Like 1

Isn't it illegal to ride on the road as long as they don't register the bike? It also means you are riding without por ror bor, the standard government insurance.

I always thought they had to register it as soon as it was sold.

Bikes and cars are only fully registered when you get the white plate as far as I know. But in the meantime you are allowed to drive with the red plate that you get from the dealer themselves but you can't leave the province or drive when the sun is down. You also need to show the purchase papers when requested by police. But I have never seen the red plate stuff being enforced.

Sorry to say but the Duc water is a regular thing........haha

Dammit, I hoped it was Italian too. Hahaha.

With work permit everything is easier. Unfortunately I don't work in Thailand anymore so have to deal with the same BS as the rest of the folks.

Sorry to say but the Duc water is a regular thing........haha

Dammit, I hoped it was Italian too. Hahaha.

With work permit everything is easier. Unfortunately I don't work in Thailand anymore so have to deal with the same BS as the rest of the folks.

Well if you are having troubles and find it easier to register the bike in someone else's name, I might be able to help out........

Good luck sorting it out.

Haha, thanks mate but no, it will be in my name. I have a wife on whose name I purchased 2 bikes already. This one will be mine and mine only. I think I figured out all the documents and have all I will need for the registration. Picking it up tomorrow morning.

Haha, thanks mate but no, it will be in my name. I have a wife on whose name I purchased 2 bikes already. This one will be mine and mine only. I think I figured out all the documents and have all I will need for the registration. Picking it up tomorrow morning.

better keep it in your name. you never know life!

as a rule for me, if i pay, it has to be on my name too.

Edited by ll2
  • Like 2

better keep it in your name. you never know life!

as a rule for me, if i pay, it has to be on my name too.

Exactly, you never know what is going to happen in the future. The previous 2 bikes are cheap enough so I won't cry if I lose them, but not this one.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

The price will definitely come down when they start assembling them here, right now all M821 are imports and so come with the hefty import tax. Not sure who wants to buy them at this price tag as for these money you can get a lot better Ducati bike than the Monster.

• 1 month later...

Sweet! Wondering what they will want for it.

Taking western prices into account where Hyper costs more than the M821, M821 here should be just below the Hyper price which is 500K THB.

• Like 2

Ok if you don't want to believe my first-hand info. Just wait for the motorshow then.

Is it produced here or still imported?

Sorry bramds, your 1st hand info came from a sales girl, you said it yourself. Sales people are known to pull the info out of their &lt;deleted&gt; at times, also many have zero knowledge about the bikes they're selling.

Not trying to discredit you but like it was mentioned above, elsewhere in the world, the new monster costs less than the Hyper. And yes I'm talking about the locally made bikes.