Back to Back M/E Non-Immigrant Visas for Aussies - A Thing of The Past?

Gang

I read this on Stickmans site on Sunday so apologize if it's been mentioned before.

Thai consulates in Brisbane and Melbourne - each been known for excellent service, are now required to forward the paperwork for non-immigrant visa applications to the Thai embassy in Canberra.

What was once a quick process is now quoted as taking 2 weeks and word is that's the end of back to back multiple entry non-immigrant visas for Aussies.

Since the Perth consulate closed a few years ago, I have been obtaining my non-immi o (based on marriage) from the Hobart office. Turn-around to Perth is approx. 3 to 4 days including postage.

I have also read on TV that Thai Immigration may eventually crackdown on people (such as myself) getting a yearly/ 15 month non-immi visa.

The above has not been confirmed but Stickman is usually pretty spot on with his info IMO.

• Like 1

You get a 12 month visa, not 15 months.

With a border run on the 'Enter before xxxxxx' date, the final 90 day Permission of Temp. Stay will give you just short of 15 months in total, before you will need another visa.

Edited by Deacon Bell

For those staying in Thailand for the purpose of living with their Thai wife, they should get a 12 month Extension of Temp. Stay at a local immigration office. A multiple re-entery permit is available for those who will be traveling in and out of Thailand, cost 3,800b.

A multi-entry visa for those who will be coming in and out to visit their wife, not living here non-stop bar 5 minutes over the border in Cambodia every 90 days.

They may well be cracked down on, as they are obviously using the visa to live here.

• Like 2

It seems they may be doing the same thing they did in the UK about a year ago. All multiple entry visa application have to be approved by the embassy in London. It is delay of 3 to 4 days there because they fax or email the applications.

I have seen nothing to confirm it yet for Australia. But your can be sure it will for all 5 of the honorary consulates. Perth reopened some time time ago.

I don't think will they be restricting the number of visas you can get.

• Like 1

OP, I was given to understand that the Thai Consulate in Perth reopened last year - can someone please confirm this ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/611097-thai-consulate-in-perth-to-re-open-soon/

http://canberra.thaiembassy.org/visa.html

The Royal Thai Consulate in Perth has been officially opened since 15 April 2013. Visa and consular services are currently provided for foreigners and Thais. Contact details are as follows;

Royal Thai Consulate
28-42 Ventnor Avenue
West Perth WA 6005
Postal address: PO Box 848 West Perth WA 6872
Telephone: (08) 9226 2288
Fax:
08 9226 2120
Email address : [email protected]
Office Hour : Monday - Thursday, 9.30 am. - 14.30
pm.

Those with a valid reason should still get them.. Those consulates mentioned have been giving out one year multiple entry visas on grounds like "owning a condo" and other non legit basis..

All they have done is bring them into line with the rest of the world and the real rules.

OP, I was given to understand that the Thai Consulate in Perth reopened last year - can someone please confirm this ?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/611097-thai-consulate-in-perth-to-re-open-soon/

The Royal Thai Consulate in Perth has been officially opened since 15 April 2013. Visa and consular services are currently provided for foreigners and Thais. Contact details are as follows;

Royal Thai Consulate

28-42 Ventnor Avenue

West Perth WA 6005

Fax: 08 9226 2120

Office Hour : Monday - Thursday, 9.30 am. - 14.30 pm.

Yep

It has reopened.

With the turn-around times in Perth, it was still quicker for me to use

the Hobart consulate.

Those with a valid reason should still get them.. Those consulates mentioned have been giving out one year multiple entry visas on grounds like "owning a condo" and other non legit basis..

All they have done is bring them into line with the rest of the world and the real rules.

Yep

They have tightened up the criteria they used to use.

The processing times of a couple of weeks is a bit of

a worry though.

As is the no "back to back" visa's which hasn't been

confirmed as yet.

Royal Thai Consulate

28-42 Ventnor Avenue

West Perth WA 6005

Fax: 08 9226 2120

Office Hour : Monday - Thursday, 9.30 am. - 14.30 pm.

Yep

It has reopened.

With the turn-around times in Perth, it was still quicker for me to use

the Hobart consulate.

Perth has reopened, was there last week. It's true they are sending all Non Immigrant Visa Applications to Canberra.

They did advise me 2-3 days turnaround. 4 days maximum.

I'll be trying them out in 2 weeks and will report back.

It's not quite the same as sending them to London in UK given the drama if there is a delay and you urgently need your passport for other travel. Perth being 3000+ kilometres from Canberra, you can't really pop over there in an emergency :)

They've got 13 days from the day I arrive back to the day I fly out. So it'll be a nice test for all of us :)

Edited by sandrew33

Yep

They have tightened up the criteria they used to use.

The processing times of a couple of weeks is a bit of

a worry though.

As is the no "back to back" visa's which hasn't been

confirmed as yet.

I go back to Oz about once a year anyway so it's convenient

for me to get a new non-immi o.

I have had a few extensions in Thailand though.

I am a dual citizen, one of which is Australian but would like to obtain a non-B multi entry in Australia, preferably Brisbane on my Swiss passport. Why? Well because I often go to Laos as I am starting a business there and for short visits, Swiss don't need entry visas for Laos, but Aussies do (even though they are available at nearly all border crossings bar a few smaller ones). Within the space of about 5 months I visited Laos around 7 times on my Aussie passport, because I was entering/exiting overland and had my then non-B and visa extension for work in my Aussie passport. That meant a lot of wasted pages and unnecessarily spending more than US$210 in visa charges, all for trips of between 1-5 days.

Is it possible to obtain a Thai visa in Australia on a foreign passport if you are a dual national? I suppose I could explain my situation and it would be OK. Note I haven't had issues obtaining say a Burmese visa in my Aussie passport in China, while legally in China on my Swiss passport. I simply brought both passports along to the consulate and all was fine, no questions asked all they needed was a photocopy of my Chinese visa in my Swiss passport, but the Burmese visa was stuck into my Aussie passport.

Also, do you think some documents from a company I have been consulting for (I will check the document requirements) as well as a letter from my own Australian or other foreign based company would be enough to secure a non-B multi entry? I do not intend to work in Thailand on the non-B for that company, unless I later on get another job offer. I don't intend on spending my time in Thailand on back-to-back 90 day entries either. Rather, I see myself spending say a max. of 30-60 days at a time, sometimes longer, leaving for a couple of days, weeks, etc. depending on my work schedule in China/Australia and then back to Thailand, regularly for shorter sometimes longer periods. In late 2012 and early 2013 before I started working in Thailand, I spent between 1-4 weeks at a time in Thailand separated by travel to China/other countries for work for between 1-6 weeks. Hence with the visa crackdown and given my site visits, supplier visits in Thailand etc. (but as mentioned, no income is derived directly from Thailand as I won't be working) visa waivers or tourist visas are no longer a good option, even if they would have covered my stay in the past. I will be traveling regularly into/out of Thailand with some periods of absence in between, but there is a possibility of spending longer periods and working locally (for which I would obtain a work permit but that depends on what offers I may get at the time or whether I can set up a suitable company locally).

Even back in 2008 and 2004 when I last obtained multi entry non-Bs in Australia (in 2004 in Sydney and 2008 in Perth by mail) I was informed that my then sponsor had to fax over a stack of paperwork, so I doubt you could previously get a multi entry non-B with just one letter? Or was I misinformed? Even back in January 2008 my sponsor told me to deal with either Brisbane or Perth, with Perth being the best. This despite Sydney being OK 4 years earlier, but I complied and sent my application to Perth. All supporting documents were faxed to the consulate, I didn't enclose anything in my DHL package other than my passport, completed application form, money order and passport photographs.

For those staying in Thailand for the purpose of living with their Thai wife, they should get a 12 month Extension of Temp. Stay at a local immigration office. A multiple re-entery permit is available for those who will be traveling in and out of Thailand, cost 3,800b.

A multi-entry visa for those who will be coming in and out to visit their wife, not living here non-stop bar 5 minutes over the border in Cambodia every 90 days.

They may well be cracked down on, as they are obviously using the visa to live here.

"they should get a 12 month Extension of Temp. Stay at a local immigration office"

Yes, can't understand why someone would be getting new visas in Australia each year when he could get an extension of stay based on marriage and renew that annually in Thailand.

"they should get a 12 month Extension of Temp. Stay at a local immigration office"

Yes, can't understand why someone would be getting new visas in Australia each year when he could get an extension of stay based on marriage and renew that annually in Thailand.

I believe it's also easy to get another 12 month multi entry for marriage purposes from Savannakhet, thus no need to travel all the way to Australia.

My situation is regarding obtaining a non-B multi entry though. Do you have any knowledge you could share regarding my post above?

Maybe because some people isn't stuck in Thailand, likes to travel to their home country and get things sorted out there already.

• Like 2

Maybe because some people isn't stuck in Thailand, likes to travel to their home country and get things sorted out there already.

Not really hard to understand.

I travel back to Australia once every year to catch up with friends, relatives

and take care of a bit of business.

So for me, it's always been no trouble to apply for a new visa when in Australia.

I know Immigration would prefer people to apply for extensions, but for the life

of me, I can't see the problem in people getting a visa every 12 or 15 months.

• Like 1

Don't want to spend time in immigration offices being told Ithey do not have enough paper work no matter what is brought.

Don't want to / don't have the funds to put 400k in a Bank account for 3 months.

Two reasons... I can think of.

For me it was the first point.

When Immigration asked me to draw a map from their office to my place,

I nearly fell off my chair. I would struggle to draw a map from their office to

the carpark.

It's not a big impost, but it's easy for me to apply for the visa when I'm in Australia.

It will be interesting to see if back to back visa's are not granted.

• Like 2

"I travel back to Australia once every year to catch up with friends, relatives and take care of a bit of business."

Yes, for me too though I am usually only there for a few weeks. Always used Brisbane for my Multi entry non O and had it processed while I wait. It is a two hour trip to the consulate for me. I only spend a total 4 to 5 months in Thailand now but,the extra cost of this visa is worth the convenience to me. Continually getting,tourist visas would be a hassle I dont need.

• Like 1

BTW OP which part of the Stickman website is your story from? I have seen nothing on the visas page, which is where it should be, which hasn't been updated since 2008. Not very up-to-date advice if you ask me. Apart from possibly needing the approval from Canberra, I'd be willing to place a bet it's business as usual for non-B multi entry visas from Aus, especially if your paperwork is OK.

BTW OP which part of the Stickman website is your story from? I have seen nothing on the visas page, which is where it should be, which hasn't been updated since 2008. Not very up-to-date advice if you ask me. Apart from possibly needing the approval from Canberra, I'd be willing to place a bet it's business as usual for non-B multi entry visas from Aus, especially if your paperwork is OK.

probably the weekly column

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/StickmanWeeklyColumn2013/Thailand-visa-run-crackdown.htm

• Like 1

Many people like to go back to their home country a couple of times every year. I do it twice a year myself. I will do the 12 month extension of stay later this year. But I don't gain anything in having that one instead of my visa.

• Like 1

I went to obtain a non-O 3 months visa in Melbourne 3 weeks ago.

I was told I could not get the same as I got last October but instead I can get a 2 x 2 months tourist visa for the same price $90

The very helpful Honorary Consul General there also gave me the latest on obtaining a spouse visa.

It is a multi entry for 12 months, form details attached.

post-84560-0-23572300-1406671095_thumb.j

I am not so sure that the "helpful" Honorary Consul General did you any favours pointing you towards a double entry tourist visa in the midst of a crackdown on ensuring people using them are "real tourists"......

I have received an email from the Thai consulate in Perth who have advised

that (at this stage), they have not received any instructions with regards to restrictions

on issuing Non-Immigrant O visas.

So, at least that's one good thing.

• 4 weeks later...

I sent an email to Brisbane regarding Multi Non O based on marriage & got this response.

"You'll need a completed visa application form a copy of your wedding

certificate, a copy of your spouses passport ID page, your original passport, the fee of $225 payable by way of a
Money Order to favour the Royal Thai Consul General. The visa office is open weekdays between 09.30 and 2.00
and if you lodge it before 11.00 your completed visa can be collected at 1.00 the same day"

Seems a little too good to be true, but it is the reply i received

• Like 1

I sent an email to Brisbane regarding Multi Non O based on marriage & got this response.

"You'll need a completed visa application form a copy of your wedding

certificate, a copy of your spouses passport ID page, your original passport, the fee of $225 payable by way of a

Money Order to favour the Royal Thai Consul General. The visa office is open weekdays between 09.30 and 2.00

and if you lodge it before 11.00 your completed visa can be collected at 1.00 the same day"

Seems a little too good to be true, but it is the reply i received

Yes, based on marriage.

Ask about the same visa but based on retirement and see what they say about that.

Maybe they will, but I'm just curious.

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I'm intending to apply for a retirement visa at the Perth Consulate, having read here that it has been re-opened since April last year. Is there a Form 'A' specific to the Perth Consulate (as Sydney does) or is it done using the Canberra Form 'A'? Has anybody done this recently? Any tips? Any idea of the time-frame involved? I'm hoping to get it all complete within a few weeks. Regarding the proof of funds, does it have to be in a Thai bank account? At the moment I have a validated statement from my financial institution confirming the necessary funds. Thanks in advance for any information.

Hi All,

I'm intending to apply for a retirement visa at the Perth Consulate, having read here that it has been re-opened since April last year. Is there a Form 'A' specific to the Perth Consulate (as Sydney does) or is it done using the Canberra Form 'A'? Has anybody done this recently? Any tips? Any idea of the time-frame involved? I'm hoping to get it all complete within a few weeks. Regarding the proof of funds, does it have to be in a Thai bank account? At the moment I have a validated statement from my financial institution confirming the necessary funds. Thanks in advance for any information.

What kind of visa are you going to apply for a single or multiple entry non-o visa. You should contact them for their requirements.

Most consulates have their own forms. They could probably email you theirs. Or you could use this generic one from the MFA: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/contents/files/consular-services-20120410-205721-425417.pdf

Western Australia

Royal Thai Consulate Perth

สถานกงสุลใหญ่ ณ นครเพิร์ธ

Honorary Consul - General Mr. Reuben Kooperman

Ground Floor 28-42 Ventnor Avenue

West Perth Western Australia 6005

Tel: (08) 9226 2288

Fax: (08) 9226 2120

Email: [email protected]