IUD in Chulalongkorn Hospital

juliawight

Hello,

As I looked for many information about the above-mentioned topic few days ago, I will share here my experience.

I wanted to have a copper IUD here in Bangkok and went to Chula hospital.

I arrived around 7.15am, first went to the screening counter and then counters for registration. Arrived around 8.00am at the 7th floor (women's health) and the nurse there told me that the doctor would arrive around 10.00am.

Doctor arrived a bit late around 10.45am, but that was ok for me.

Then, after first discussion with the doctor, I went to buy the IUD (650 THB) in the pharmacy, same floor, and an hour later I had my IUD. Quite painful I should say, but I'm sure it would be the same in another hospital.

I went to chula because for other hospitals (private ones), costs were estimated by them around 15,000 THB, which was impossible for my social welfare...I tried Lerdsin hospital (public one on Silom rd) but copper IUDs were out of stock and the doctor told me they won't have it anymore. I tried St louis hospital as well, but they just promote natural methods.

Hope that will help !

Thanks.

But I am fairly sure the cost estimates you got elsewhere were in error. I know people who have had IUD insertiosn in private hospitals, it comes nowhere near that amount. A few thousand baht max.

St Louis is a Catholic Hosp, that's why no modern contraception. Same would apply at Camellian.

Bangkok Christian on the other hand, though Christian affiliated is not Catholic, and does provide IUDs.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi ladies,

That post was really helpful juliawright!

I was just wondering if you need to make an appointment beforehand and if they make you go through the slew of tests they do in Australia? It is possible to get the consultation and insertion on the same day with little trouble?

I'm living in Battambang, Cambodia and want to make a trip to bkk to get it sorted out. I had a multi load 375 removed in Australia, and the GP was unable to insert a new tt380 , apparently my internal os is very tight and he wasn't confident in being any more heavy handed and potentially injuring me ( I previously had seen a gyno for removal/insertion who had no trouble, but wasn't able to see him on this trip) and I wasn't able to get a new appointment with another doctor to get a new one in.

I need a copper IUD, which is more difficult to acquire in Aus, but it sounds like they're more readily available in Thailand. I was considering bringing one over with me, is it worth it? The cost is extremely high in Australia, so I'm hoping previous posts are correct about cost being quite reasonable in bkk. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts or opinions on this!

Also mine could be a difficult insertion - has anyone else had problems with this in bkk?

Gyno stuff makes me nervous at the best of times, any thoughts/opinions, or comments on positive or negative experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

At a private hospital like Bangkok Christian, Bumrungrad, Samitivej etc you can definitely get it all done in one visit. I took a friend there once who had some difficulties with insertion, and told the nurse this and she in turn advised a specific doctor who I guess was unusually good at it. Bkk Chrisitian will cost less than the others mentioned.

BUT - why on earth not just go to RHAC or MSI clinic in Battambang? These are good quality NGO reproductive health clinics.

http://www.rhac.org.kh/rhac_bk_04_03_15/contact.php

http://www.mariestopes.org.kh/battambang-centre

I didn't realise a clinic in Battambang was an option, i'll look in to it!

That said, i've not had terribly positive experiences (and some downright horror stories from other friends, granted not in women's health but in hospitals) in other clinics in Battambang, making me very very wary.

Avoiding a trip to BKK would be good though....

Thank you very much for the help and information =)

These are different from ordinary clinics in cambodia (which are indeed to be avoided).

Both are run by NGOs and of good standard. MSI (Marie Stopes) is a UK based intetnatipnsl NGO. RHAC is the International Planned Parenthood Federation affiliate for Cambodia.

Archived