Immigration: Foreigners must now carry valid ID at all times, report within 24 hours

Again, for those that still don't comprehend, it isn't the ID requirements, we can all live with that, it is the FM 28 which YOU as a foreigner have to fill out regardless of whether or not hotel etc. fills out FM 30 or not. And jeez, now we even have one of the "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" crowd on here. Brother talk about not knowing nothing about anything.

I'm not so sure on this.

Could someone knowledgeable confirm 100% if we still need to fill out a 'form 28' if staying in a hotel which reports your current address online - like nearly all the proper hotels do.

up to you to find out if the hotel does the reporting. Going away for the week-end? Be sure to let immigration know.... at least your wife will know where you are.

Edited by wilcopops

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Again, for those that still don't comprehend, it isn't the ID requirements, we can all live with that, it is the FM 28 which YOU as a foreigner have to fill out regardless of whether or not hotel etc. fills out FM 30 or not. And jeez, now we even have one of the "if you aren't doing anything wrong you have nothing to fear" crowd on here. Brother talk about not knowing nothing about anything.

I'm not so sure on this.

Could someone knowledgeable confirm 100% if we still need to fill out a 'form 28' if staying in a hotel which reports your current address online - like nearly all the proper hotels do.

up to you to find out if the hotel does the reporting. Going away for the week-end? Be sure to let immigration know.... at least your wife will know where you are.

All hotels are required to report by law.

I'm going to hazard a guess that every hotel I've ever stayed at in Thailand always reports my stay to immigration.

I'm talking about proper large hotels, all of them either four or five stars which employ dozens, sometimes hundreds of people.

It sounds like out immigration office had a talking to from upstairs and are doing some CYA.

All longstanding regs, frequently ignored. Carrying an ID is a good idea in any case. Everything else pretty much falls out except the bit of visiting another province and reporting yourself to the police there. My guess is that no one will really concern themselves without, and it'll be taken to be covered by your place of lodging.

Same same, just everyone's a bit nervous now.

Would this be the reason my landlord took a copy of my passport when i signed the contract for a rental house?

Quite likely, it's the reason why you need to show a passport when checking into a hotel.

As with any announcement from Immgration, I am always left with more questions than I have answers...

So are tourists here for two weeks now meant to take their passports to the beach, trekking through the jungle or in a soapy massage??

Yep get it laminated,,,,,,   :))

I don't understand the angst of some posters, there's nothing new in these rules, it's always been the case that hotels have to report their guest lists to Immigration every twenty four hours. It's also always been the case that everyone has to carry some form of ID, 

The problem (angst) is that this is still and very much a country filled with a corrupt police force, who will use this as just a new way to get money out of tourists and expats here. The problem is not the rules. The problem is the people enforcing the rules, who are now told they should enforce this. It is a new gold mine for any police officer out there. Think this will be good for the country?

They should clear up corruption first before they start enforcing rules like this. As mentioned before prostitution is also illegal in Thailand. What is being done about that?

Nonsense, in fifteen years here I've never been shaken down by the police or asked to pay a bribe, it's a story that is propagated by the few but never experienced by the majority, no vacation in Thailand would be complete without the traveler being able to recant how he/she "was forced to pay a bribe" for something or other and "what a near miss that was"!! - just carry some ID and obey the rules and you'll be just fine.

You've obviously never overtaken a som-tam cart on a motorbike in view of a fleece (sorry, police) check-point.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

Would this be the reason my landlord took a copy of my passport when i signed the contract for a rental house?

Yes, it should have been reported by the landlord / owner.

As a side note. 13 pages in a couple of hours, is that a record ?

And how many of those getting their knickers in a twist live in the Hua Hin area ?

It sounds like out immigration office had a talking to from upstairs and are doing some CYA.

All longstanding regs, frequently ignored. Carrying an ID is a good idea in any case. Everything else pretty much falls out except the bit of visiting another province and reporting yourself to the police there. My guess is that no one will really concern themselves without, and it'll be taken to be covered by your place of lodging.

The thing is, if this is only being enforced in Hua Hin and you already live there and are of course registered at your current address then it won't matter at all if you leave Hua Hin and go to a different province unless they are also enforcing this new rule.

It will only affect people who come to Hua Hin from other provinces until it goes nationwide if it ever does. Even then I suspect it's all work that's done by the hotel. This notice was addressed to people who run hotels and rent out accomodation.

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

OK. That's the straw that's broken the camel's back. Cambodia... HERE I COME!  <deleted>** you Thailand.

Bye

I'll send you a postcard.

Better send it to the "other" address in case its tracked.

tongue.png

There are any number of Problems with this , if you want EVERY tourist walking around with Photo Id ..

The potential problems are quite obvious . When I went ( alone ) to the Beach on a 3 month Alternate address , I carry Nothing 

You want every Tourist walking around with a Passport if He / She does not have a Drivers Licence ? Its really not a good idea 

and will well add to the potential for more ( rather than Less ) Corruption , particularly in the Tourist market .

Happy to attempt to Clean things up , but this will end as a revenue raiser .

• Like 1

The thing is, if this is only being enforced in Hua Hin and you already live there and are of course registered at your current address then it won't matter at all if you leave Hua Hin and go to a different province unless they are also enforcing this new rule.

It will only affect people who come to Hua Hin from other provinces until it goes nationwide if it ever does. Even then I suspect it's all work that's done by the hotel. This notice was addressed to people who run hotels and rent out accomodation.

Correct ..But if it goes National , and you had a Farang Friend staying , it must be reported  .

There really are many problems with the implementation of this idea . Extremely confining .

• Like 1

I don't understand the angst of some posters, there's nothing new in these rules, it's always been the case that hotels have to report their guest lists to Immigration every twenty four hours. It's also always been the case that everyone has to carry some form of ID, 

The problem (angst) is that this is still and very much a country filled with a corrupt police force, who will use this as just a new way to get money out of tourists and expats here. The problem is not the rules. The problem is the people enforcing the rules, who are now told they should enforce this. It is a new gold mine for any police officer out there. Think this will be good for the country?

They should clear up corruption first before they start enforcing rules like this. As mentioned before prostitution is also illegal in Thailand. What is being done about that?

Nonsense, in fifteen years here I've never been shaken down by the police or asked to pay a bribe, it's a story that is propagated by the few but never experienced by the majority, no vacation in Thailand would be complete without the traveler being able to recant how he/she "was forced to pay a bribe" for something or other and "what a near miss that was"!! - just carry some ID and obey the rules and you'll be just fine.

You've obviously never overtaken a som-tam cart on a motorbike in view of a fleece (sorry, police) check-point.

Sent from my ASUS_T00I using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Correct, better yet, I've never ridden a motorbike in Thailand.

My feeling is that the growing nationalism that is the result of years of indoctrination of Thai children in school is beginning to show the first results.

After the Cambodians went back home, it looks like it's time to focus on a new group.

These new rules are not practical and if they are going to be enforced things will become difficult for us. It hope it stops with this absurdity and that not more stupid rules will follow. Edited by kriswillems
  • Like 1

Why doesn't Hua Hin just place a bill board on the town line stating "We do not want you here, go away"
Ummm, i am not expert on this area...but they do make a fair sum on Foreign Tourists ... yes?

Done.

Let's see how long this lasts when of all the wonderful surrounding places to visit ... are filled while Hua Hin is empty.

(I do hope it does not include Cha Am, which I MUCH prefer anyway!)

PS ... No, no and NO ... I am not carrying my Passport 24 / 7

Passport please.

Ummm... I lost it.

You lost it?

Yes, I was standing next to one of your "Beware of Pickpocket signs" ... and now it is gone.

You have 24 hours to produce it.

On what planet can you replace both a lost passport and your valid visa in 24 hours?

In other words, if your photo copy (and perhaps an on the spot 500 THB "processing charge") can not solve it ... the fine is STILL much better than loss of documents.

Nonsense post that sadly looks as though it is the the result of some effort.

I am a owner of a medium size hotel in Pattaya and can inform that every singel day we send a report to immigration regarding our new foreign guest.

The report is done online and has been for several years so this is nothing new.

I also own several condos and houses and we do the same here.

We take a photocopy of the passport and keep on file. We NEVER collect the passport from the customer as this is ILLIGAL.

I would never give away my passport to motorbike rentals or any other(except police and embassy).

Who get the hassel if the passport is lost?

• Like 2

The junta has made it clear they have an agenda to control criminal activity, if you are doing nothing wrong no problem. However if you are up to no good you need to be concerned, so what are all you posters of negative comments afraid of?

Getting Stockholm syndrome.. 

Why doesn't Hua Hin just place a bill board on the town line stating "We do not want you here, go away"
Ummm, i am not expert on this area...but they do make a fair sum on Foreign Tourists ... yes?

Done.

Let's see how long this lasts when of all the wonderful surrounding places to visit ... are filled while Hua Hin is empty.

(I do hope it does not include Cha Am, which I MUCH prefer anyway!)

PS ... No, no and NO ... I am not carrying my Passport 24 / 7

Passport please.

Ummm... I lost it.

You lost it?

Yes, I was standing next to one of your "Beware of Pickpocket signs" ... and now it is gone.

You have 24 hours to produce it.

On what planet can you replace both a lost passport and your valid visa in 24 hours?

In other words, if your photo copy (and perhaps an on the spot 500 THB "processing charge") can not solve it ... the fine is STILL much better than loss of documents.

ah yes but with no passport they wont know who u r....i suggest u say Daffy Duck.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I'm not so sure on this.

Could someone knowledgeable confirm 100% if we still need to fill out a TM 28 form if staying in a hotel which reports your current address online - like nearly all the proper hotels do.

If that were the case then you would need to inform immigration before you left your last address, otherwise they would have two different addresses for the same person on their databases.

Multiply that by TAT's figures for travelling tourists, and the odd ex-pat on an away-day, and the whole system crashes out.

As with most of the changes that have been happening, on the initial release of the change there has been a lot of misinformation spread by people panicking/over-reacting to tit-bits of information. At present, if you are staying in HH you should be paying attention.

Certainly no need because of this news to say, right, that's it, Cambodia here I come! Fullstop to that....................tongue.png

The junta has made it clear they have an agenda to control criminal activity, if you are doing nothing wrong no problem. However if you are up to no good you need to be concerned, so what are all you posters of negative comments afraid of?

No.

But I can be nannied at home. And drink water from the tap, and not have to worry about pollution, and drive on roads where people see pavement markings as more than pretty decorations, etc., etc.

Part of the reason why I come here is because it's more relaxed. It's the Wild Wild East. There are still rules, but as long as you don't get caught up in anything stupid you should be okay for the most part. I can deal with that. I don't even mind that the real Thai language is money.

I put up with the irritants of Thailand because Thailand - so far - has given me something back.

But If they change the formula so much that it is just like any other country, then there's no real reason for me to go there. If it's gonna start being like America, then why don't I just stay IN America? Or go somewhere that doesn't require 24 hours of flying?

And if they're enforcing all these laws because they're xenophobic and don't want me - that's cool, too. I'll miss my Thai friends, but out of the 170+ other countries out there I'm sure I can find one that fits my style and my budget.

I know Venezuela has really nice beaches. And Uruguay has been on my list, too. Both places are much easier to get to - and into - than Thailand.

Nanny state is an expression used by people who don't understand true freedom and democracy. You can understand it and choose to live elsewhere but you if you don't you'll need really understand why you moved.​

Before moving to Thailand i lived in the " Canary Islands " for over 20 years And it was always the Law to carry your passport with you  everywhere.The police would stop and ask you for " ID " on almost a daily basis. ( Tourists included ) 

I'm not so sure on this.

Could someone knowledgeable confirm 100% if we still need to fill out a TM 28 form if staying in a hotel which reports your current address online - like nearly all the proper hotels do.

Where in Thailand can you get a 100% answer on any rule or law consistently ?? 

The law says its is the aliens responsibility to.. And then at the end it reminds you as well as the above that 90 day reports.. Are you going to say that the landord is doing your 90 day reports ??