Forum upgrade in progress! ×

Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

I am currently in Saudi Arabia on a business trip, and I have to be carrying my passport at all times, I have being doing this for the last 14 years, and have never lost nor damaged any of my passports during those years, and yes I also caries my passport in Thailand, and elsewhere I am traveling, I see in Thailand they "only" giving you a fine for not having the passport with you, here in KSA they will detain you until  someone will come with the passport to get you out of jail, and yes they (Police) is checking you randomly in road block and in shopping areas, they have a lot of overstaying and illegal working forces, here which they are deporting in huge numbers. over the last year 2 millions have been deported.

I have been visiting Thailand over the same period of 14 years, and are now living there permanently on retirement extension basic.

I'm living in Cha Am district and therefore are using Hua Hin IM, I have always reported my return to them upon entering Thailand on first working day, upon arrival to replace the 90 days slip.

I have never reported my stay in varies private homes I have visited during my time in Thailand so this is new to me.

For those of us who live in Saudi Arabia full time we get an Iqama, which is a driving licence sized ID card. Much easier to carry around and if you lose it or it has expired, a stamped letter from your company stating it's whereabouts is enough for any checkpoint or police check. Usually when visiting Saudi your also not going to the beach or bars where there is a greater risk of your passport being lost/stolen. 

I'm off back to Thailand next week and whilst I'm in the beach resort and going to the bars etc I won't be carrying my passport and I'll take the risk but when I drive up to the house, I'll have it with me.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

555 this is real genius!

Now, every Farang in Thailand who wants to rent a motorbike has to leave with the renter: his passport.

This just makes it so much easier for police to pay the rent in no time: Just stop any (and all) Farang on a motorbike, ask for passport and: Bingo!

Couldnt have set it up better myself wink.png

Woot??

Nobody have to leave their passport at the renter!

Listen to all the stubborn fools on here saying they are going to disregard the directive to carry their passport with them and choose to pay the 2,000 baht fine as a means to protest. Good luck to you all.

• Like 1

Hmm, that's less than good, let's hope he's wrong, changes his mind or that this is solely a Hua Hin issue.

It is not only inconvenient, but extremely risky to carry your passport all the time. It is inviting the wrong sort of people to attack ferangs in order to steal a passport, and carries a big risk of losing it. I can understand wanting to clean up the illegals, but this way surely is inviting more crime from those that want to traffic in stolen passports?

unfortunately only the original document is valid as all forms of copies photos etc can all be doctored photoshopped etc

The only 100% way to provide official Id is "with the original document (passport) in person" there simply is no other way and that is fact

• Like 1

555 this is real genius!

Now, every Farang in Thailand who wants to rent a motorbike has to leave with the renter: his passport.

This just makes it so much easier for police to pay the rent in no time: Just stop any (and all) Farang on a motorbike, ask for passport and: Bingo!

Couldnt have set it up better myself wink.png

Woot??

Nobody have to leave their passport at the renter!

Sure, but they will not be able to rent that bike :)

Almost nobody will comply with this passport requirement, especially if they have visas which are going to take a considerable effort to replace.

If I lost my passport right now I believe it could take a few months and several trips to Bangkok just to get a replacement, once I've got that I then have to think about getting my visa replaced.

Not going to happen.

Exactly, and depending on circumstances you could easily end up on overstay.

I understand the need for ID and a Thai DL is exactly that. This reqmt to carry a passport when you already dib dib dib every 90 days is an absolute nonsense

It is complete nonsense.

What do they do if you refuse to pay the fine ? Can you choose to go to court instead ?

Edited by ukrules
  • Like 1

Are these baboons on drugs ?

i see all of us wandering in the streets with Songkran and carrying our passports.... lol   coffee1.gif

That's a bit strong but it's pretty clear that there is little thought given to the actual experience and problems for foreigners basically CRAZY enough to actually follow this rule all the time. 

Listen to all the stubborn fools on here saying they are going to disregard the directive to carry their passport with them and choose to pay the 2,000 baht fine as a means to protest. Good luck to you all.

I really can't see myself paying any 2000 Baht fines.

• Like 1

<snip> 
I'm off back to Thailand next week and whilst I'm in the beach resort and going to the bars etc I won't be carrying my passport and I'll take the risk but when I drive up to the house, I'll have it with me.

Exactly, when we are going to do our shopping (seldom goto Bars) I will not take my passport with me, and if I get checked, the missus can drive back home and get it and I will stay with the Police waiting for her (hoping that she comes back wink.png ) , but when driving Up-Country I always take my passport with me.

• Like 1

Sorry to say, but this is Thailand.

Laws, written by some one not living in the real world, but well paid.

These laws are almost impossible to follow, and just because of that. All, even Thais, breaks the laws, all days and all nights, year around, on and on again.

Got it?

This is exactly why Thailand are more or less lawless.

Please Prayuth, look this over. Put some clever in charge, there must be some one, or?

I'm just in the process of applying for a visa for India. As I live in the South, it will take me 3 (THREE) flights to Bangkok, to finally get the visa.

Just the normal crazy Indian bullsh***.

My passport will be in Bangkok for approx. 8 days (without me). 

So, my question to the Immigration officers is: How can I please apply for a visa without breaking the law?

Indian Embassy have to make do with seeing and photocoying your passport .... they have no right to hold on to your passport.

The "new" regulations are totally in line with International Practices.  In Indonesia, if stopped without your original passport, your next stop is the Police Station.  You can wait for someone to bring you your original passport then they slap a fine for not having your passport wih you.  I'm all for having original documents with you all the time.  It may help weed out some undesirables.  Just my 2 Baht worth.  Flame if you wish, but the Law's the Law.

Depends what you consider 'International Practices'? Very different in military states and third world countries compared to first world democracies, depends what you consider Thailand to be?

..... Exactly. 

.... This guy's talking about Indonesia as if it follows in strict accordance with international policies. East Timor, Trisakti University 1998. 

Nothing more to discuss here

Conveniently ignoring the TM28 address notification every time your 24h at a new location.. 

This is in addition to the TM30 which a housemaster (or hotel etc) must also do. 

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

I've just put my old (clipped) passport in my wife's handbag so I'm sorted.

I sincerly doubt that's enough, as it will not show your current Immigration Status, but maybe they have means to check / link your old passport number.

This is Insanity.Carrying original Passport with Retirement Visa Details and 90 Day stamp details .If you have stolen or lost how you replace all this information.

The Tourists will stay away and go.This decision tell the Tourist to stay away.

How many Passports get stolen in Phukhet.

Carrying Passport is not an option---to replace UK passport is now 6 weeks +.

Can Thai Visa please point out these facts or else there will be NO Tourists coming here.

• Like 1

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Hilarious, I hope you keep the visas up to date in your old passport as well as your new one or you could find yourself arrested for overstaying on an old passport.

• Like 1

Note that the fine of 2000 THB is exactly the same as the one for smoking OUTSIDE at the Chiang Mai Thapae Gate Starbucks.  No big deal and neither have been or will be enforced.

Edited by mesquite

Well in my case I have a problem...

Every three month, the HR staff of my company ask me for my passport to report to the immigration and they will keep my passport for about 3 days and sometimes for a week (doing some paper work, I don't really know why it takes so long like that, maybe too many foreigners working there).

Which means I should not be allowed to leave home to go to work...and If i had to pay 2000 baht every day I go to work then what should I do ? Ask my employer to give me the money back ? this is nonsense

• Like 1

I appreciate that www.thaivisa.com provided the forum for a meeting to produce this information  with the good Col. but facts remain facts.

In the final analysis, any law in Th. is subject to interpretation by any  particular police officer or immigration official and the application of that interpretation is also  up to that same person.

Ah .... a passport with no visa ..... that will be B4000 sir :-)

Foreign nationals in the USA have to carry passports at all times. Does that count as a first world democracy?

@ TV News: Do you have any clarification on the reporting of movements requirements? The way I read the movement reporting requirements they seem completely unworkable.

IE, I live in east Pattaya, same place for almost a year now. As I read the rules, If I went to Ban Chang for the weekend I would have to report to immigration in Rayong Province, and then report again to immigration here in Chonburi when I returned to my home. 

This seems crazy.

It is only the Passport that tells anybody if you are legally in the country, no other ID card tells whether you have a Visa or have done you 90 day reporting

The level of stupidity on this forum and others never ceases to amaze me and I'm not talking about you my friend as you are 100% correct

First here are the facts

-  This has always been the rule in Thailand - you must carry your original passport at all times. In saying that, other forms of id have been accepted in the past but are by no means the official rule 

- as we all know there is a general tightening down on visa rules recently especially concerning repeated back to back  border runs and those on overstay and those suspected of working here illegally 

It is a general tightening of immigration rules that most of us are now aware of

In particular as I have mentioned before several times on TVF - In order for Thai authorities to pursue those on overstay the only possible way for them to do this actively is to start checking people everywhere to ensure they have valid permission to stay in the Kingdom - the only way to do this is to check their original passport so it follows that everyone is now expected to carry their original passport at all times 

Will there be practical variations to this is most likely going to be up to the person that is checking you out and how you arrange with them to show your passport but the bottom line is (as stated in the OP) that you must be carrying the original document ready to be checked on the spot at all times - how you deal with this if stopped to be checked is going to be up to you but at least you are now aware of the rules and the possible fine if you decide the break the rules

Nothing more to discuss here

This is not the only way to check on the immigration status of 'aliens'.

You simply invest in a decent computer system and make the rule that your ID must show your passport number, this could be Thai driving licence or passport photocopy. The traffic officers checking the document can be in contact with the immigration central office in seconds to check status, and the relevant action can be taken.

• Like 1

The "new" regulations are totally in line with International Practices.  In Indonesia, if stopped without your original passport, your next stop is the Police Station.  You can wait for someone to bring you your original passport then they slap a fine for not having your passport wih you.  I'm all for having original documents with you all the time.  It may help weed out some undesirables.  Just my 2 Baht worth.  Flame if you wish, but the Law's the Law.

Depends what you consider 'International Practices'? Very different in military states and third world countries compared to first world democracies, depends what you consider Thailand to be?

If you are in the UK for example and cannot prove to the satisfaction of a police officer "who you are"  you will be arrested and held until you have provided same

The huge difference between here and the west is the link up of various  IT systems that are available to police on the ground to check who you are, I suspect that here in Thailand this might be a challenge even from a police station, hence the only way for police to check 100% who you are is when you have your passport and you together in one place, you cannot be offered the opportunity to appear with the documents as you could simply do a runner

The only other option would be for a police officer to accompany you to the location of your passport to retrieve it or be detained until someone can bring it to a police station

or for someone that you can call to bring the passport to your location to produce it - then you have complied

Edited by smedly

Almost nobody will comply with this passport requirement, especially if they have visas which are going to take a considerable effort to replace.

If I lost my passport right now I believe it could take a few months and several trips to Bangkok just to get a replacement, once I've got that I then have to think about getting my visa replaced.

Not going to happen.

I understand the need for ID and a Thai DL is exactly that. This reqmt to carry a passport when you already dib dib dib every 90 days is an absolute nonsense

It is complete nonsense.

What do they do if you refuse to pay the fine ? Can you choose to go to court instead ?

Maybe it's internment camps.. or .. one of those reconciliation / behavior-modification camps that were created in the north and northeast (supposedly).

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

"in every country the rule is the same"? Utter nonsense. I assume you are Thai or you would know better.

I am not Thai but can you point me a country where you can theorically circulate without a valid ID ?

england scotland etc.. 

Not going to happen.

It is complete nonsense.

Not to worry.  The press release is really for the Junta, not the public. 

• Like 2