Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

I can't believe so many members are worrying about this. It is another rule that won't be enforced.

How many of you have an alien certificate? All aliens must apply for one within 14 days of arriving in Thailand. I'

ve been here for 29 years and still haven't got one!

Maybe if you are a tourist you'd be best to carry your passport but those of us who have been here more than a year or so will be able to talk our way out of any fine.

I can just see the Hua Hin immigration police conducting a passport  raid up Soi Bintabaht and Selakam hauling the unsuspecting strolling Danish and Swedish families in as little Sven hasn't got his passport with him... Can't wait for the first reports to come in from down there on this one!!!

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to the German Embassy and the German Foreign Ministry - a copy of the passport including the Visa page is absolutely sufficient . I am registered at the embassy with my Thai address as well. So what?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

According to the German Embassy and the German Foreign Ministry - a copy of the passport including the Visa page is absolutely sufficient . I am registered at the embassy with my Thai address as well. So what?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Bangkok immigration top man has come out and clarified that carrying an orignal PP is not required

but to comment on your post, if you did have to carry your PP inThailand , its irrelvant what German Embassy or foreign ministry say, as you are not in Germany  thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

UPDATE:

Good news: No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander

xvoravat-amornvivat.jpg.pagespeed.ic.R3E

BANGKOK:-- [thaivisa.com] After the confusion surrounding the news that all foreigners in Thailand are required to carry their passport with them at all times, Thaivisa.com has today obtained official clarification on this matter.

Full story here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747736-no-need-to-worry-says-bangkok-immigration-commander/

• Like 1

Maybe long term visa holders could carry a certified true copy of passport along with ID card Thai Visa could ask Police Colonel, otherwise passport theft and muggings will increase if they know everyone's carrying a passport.
I wont carry passport everyday when I live in Thailand.

You could go to Immigration office to get a certified true copy and then you would have to carry that plus a Thai issued ID card or valid DL.

They just asked.. He said no..

I don't understand the whole panic. 

If you would ask the fine Police Colonel if prostitution is legal in Thailand he also had to answer: Prostitution is not legal in Thailand. Even Thais wink.png  can get fined or arrested for it.

Last time I drove through my local village the medical massage house with the funny lights that opens up until 03:00 looked pretty busy.

So unless I see some threads on thaivisa.com with the title:

I just paid 2000 THB fine because I had not my original passport with me

it makes no big difference to me. 

In the past a valid DL was always accepted, I was once ( in the last 12 years) asked for a passport at a normal traffic control, by a volunteer police...
Answered: Passport is at home, Passport number is on the DL. If you want to check the visa status call immigration , they have it on the computer.

Also the address report within 24h, that is ok for a Hotel, guest house or something like that but if I live 10 years at the same address, I'm not going to report if I plan to stay 2 days at the house of the in laws.

The freaky 90 days report is already a waste of time. What is to report if nothing has changed? Ok, I understand to report a permanent new address within 24h, accepted - but thats it.
Somebody that has a 2 years overstay does usually no 90 day report anyway.

If immigration want 100% control I would recommend to make it mandatory to wear a GPS ankle monitor for all foreigner.

Prostitution is ..., not "illegal" per se

It is.

A clarification from Bangkok this time:

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years."

The fact that it says "failed to produce" and not "failed to carry on their person." is just more proof that this is much to do about nothing, because it is the exact same wording they have always used. The police have always defined "able to produce." as in if it's at home or the office, someone brings it to you while you wait if for some reason they don't accept your PP photocopy and or Thai DL.

http://www.thaivisa....m_campaign=news

OK, so who "brings it" when you, exercising normal caution against loss or theft, are a tourist and have it safely locked in your safe in your hotel room? Will they let you go get it?  And why all the folderol in the first place when the requirement IS that the hotel must have photocopied it and submitted it when you checked in?!

....unless this is more about indulging some spastic xenophobic caprice and/or collecting baht from us walking ATMs, than it is about verifying our legal presence in the country?

Hmmmm?

Go on.  Keep this up.  Watch what happens.

In my experience, it is usually someone in the tourists party, but if they are alone, then the hotel manager can open the safe to give the passport to officers who will come and collect it. If an expat it is usually the gf, wife, or friend. Sometimes it is in a safe at the persons employment and a fellow employee will bring it.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not good news for Brits, looking at the fiasco of our passport renewal process.

Been here for xx years (lots) and not going to start carrying it now.

But must admit totally expected and I'm sure this isn't the end of it. It will probably get worse.

Perhaps all Brits should apply for a second passport highlighting the reasons why it is essential you have to have two. Obviously carrying your passport around at all times there is a better than average chance it will get lost, stolen or irreparably damaged.

Den   

Prostitution is ..., not "illegal" per se

It is.

It's a bit of an complex issue: http://www.thailawforum.com/sex-crimes-in-thailand-part2.html

Prostitution in Thailand is clearly illegal.  However, there may be some sections of Thai law that are ambiguous, making it difficult to prosecute those charged under these laws. The Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996) (the “Prostitution Law”), is the central legal framework prohibiting prostitution. The law defines prostitution as any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit, but only if it is done “in a promiscuous manner”. The Prostitution Law does not define what exactly a “promiscuous manner” constitutes. The crime of solicitation is equally ill defined. A “Jon” soliciting the services of a prostitute is liable under the Prostitution Law only if the solicitation is done “openly and shamelessly or causes a nuisance to the public”, the penalty being a fine of up to 1,000 baht.

You could read that as "don't take too many customers and you're legit" or how ever you want.

Edited by DrTuner
  • Like 1

How many of you have an alien certificate? All aliens must apply for one within 14 days of arriving in Thailand. I've been here for 29 years and still haven't got one!

You are referring to the Alien Registration Act from 1950 ? http://www.refworld.org/cgi-bin/texis/vtx/rwmain?docid=3ae6b4d40 ? I'm not sure but I think it's superseded by the current Immigration Act from 1979 and even if still in place, seems to refer to PR holders.

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

Agreed

I also agree.  I have a laminated copy of my passport with visa stamp on the back.  Losing that is much better then my original passport.  That would be a nightmare to replace.  And cost much much more then 2000 baht.  I do carry my passport when traveling in country.  But not to go shopping. 

The motor bike and car hire shops will be loosing business big time as most of them insist on the renter leaving there passport with them , in 8 years the only time that I was asked to show it was when two immigration officers came to the house they were checking the area for Burmese workers !

Have rented m/c's on and off for 12 years in Thailand and only once in Chiang Mai was asked for my passport.These days they want a photocopy of the Id page only.

Carrying my passport has been my usual situation in many many trips and long stays after being challenged on this many years ago.

Never lost it,but now in waterproof cover after heavy rain got on it.Its definately inconvenient at times and wear and tear have taken there toll.

Back in UK at the moment after a six month stay carrying my passport all the time so it can be done but not with the life style choices many have here drinking too much and visiting dodgy areas and establishments on a daily basis.the chances of loss would increase greatly.

If the law said you must jump off a bridge, would you jump off a bridge?

Now that's a silly reply

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

Turns out, not so silly.

Many of us didn't believe this was for real from the start.

And we were RIGHT. 

• Like 1

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

Breaking the law, for whatever reason, puts more pressure on everyone else. Now that you have openly broadcasted your intent to ignore this law (for your own convenience), I am sure the police will go through extra measures to check everyone.  Two thousand baht is a large fine....maybe not to you, but it is more than what I want to give out freely.

If you plan to violate the laws here, keep it to yourself, please.

This is how the back to back visa runners got things all miffed up. Blatently disregarding Thai Law.

(Scene opens on 'You Name It Beach', somewhere in Phuket with a few Thai oficers approaching a group of swimmers who are just returning from the ocean.  Head Officer calls out:

"ALL FALANG SWIMMERS, produce your passports"... "NO, NO, law say you must have with you at ALL times! NO GOOD FOR YOU TO HAVE IN CAR/MOTORBIKE....NOT EVEN IN POUCH AT BEACH CHAIR.....MUST HAVE WITH YOU ALL TIME..YOU PAY ฿2000 FINE!!. NOW!!  WHAT?...OKAY!  THAT OKAY....LAW NOT SAY THAT YOU CAN'T GO TO CAR FOR MONEY PAY FINE,,,WE COME WITH YOU...YOU PAY.....NO, NO, MUST PAY... HAVE PASSPORT NOW NO GOOD!!....NOT HAVE WHEN STOP ON BEACH!!

(Scene fades gradually to black with Thai officers happily approaching another group of falangs, while first group can be seen muttering..... well, muttering things best left unsaid here in  public media.)

The above scenario is totally tongue in cheek and is not meant to ridicule anyone, least of all our fine Royal Thai Police.....,BUT it is based upon Pol.Col. Thanasak's statement, to wit " ....By law, all tourists and expats nationwide are required to carry their original passports with them at all times. There is no exception to this....." 

I don't imagine (555?  No, really I don't) that the above scenario would ever happen.  But, without knowing what the Natiional Identification Act (if that's the bible that applies) actually says in this regard...if Pol.Col. Thanasak is correct in his interpretation,  then my fictitiional Thai officers would ave been acting lawfully!!  Fer Gawd's sake, someone....say it ain't so!! 

That might possibly be mildly humorous, were it not for the fact that the matter was clarified in a post yesterday quoting the Immigration Dept Director who reassured everyone that the concept of being required to carry passports at all times, was totally false.

• Like 1

Well yes they can burn it..but if you think for one moment that they will then only be hit with a 2000 baht fine and sent on their way..think again!Only needs one diligent immigration/police officer under orders to do a sweep on any given night/place(eg Sukhumvit at 2 am)and let's see what happens!As for Hua Hin they have been cracking down on the bars down there anyway as I have personally witnessed plain clothes police walking the area and closing down the night club up by the karaoke bars.Again let's see what exactly happens down there if they start asking for personal ID proof from local ex-pats and of course unsuspecting tourists..then we can draw a conclusion on what may/will happen to any overstayers/criminals they may snag in the process as there have been a few caught down there over the last 2 years on the run!