Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

actually the most important part about registering when out of province seams to have been overlooked ..have they realised something?

I think they were only asked about the IDs and this is the answer to that question.

The reason behind this is that Immigration needs to keep track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country.

O rly??

Whats the percentage of foreign criminals to Thai criminals here in Thailand?

Whats the percentage of foreign criminals to non criminal farangs here in Thailand?

Un-f-beliveable!

• Like 2

The motor bike and car hire shops will be loosing business big time as most of them insist on the renter leaving there passport with them , in 8 years the only time that I was asked to show it was when two immigration officers came to the house they were checking the area for Burmese workers !

Not good for the tourists who want to rent bikes neither.

Tourists that leave their passports to rent bikes are making a big mistake in first place. Check "MH370 stolen passports". 

It just isn't realistic or practical for many of us.  I've been working here for 21 years and if I had been keeping it with me all this time it would bound to have either been lost, stolen or damaged at some point.  Plus stress of that happening or forgetting it. 

I thought there was a policy of presenting it when asked in a reasonable amount of time such as 24 hours.  Guess not.

Agreed. The UK, even with its disgraceful passport non-service, insists we keep our old doc until the new one turns up, for the very reason that carrying the original is compulsory (at least in HH). But I've been here almost as long as you and I've never been asked for ID anywhere in Thailand.

One thing I have not seen elsewhere - sorry if others have covered it - Thais don't really get the concept of not wandering around with ID since they have to carry theirs at all times. I reckon a lot of this protracted 'problem' is simply that disconnect - that we farang should do just like them. Thais will NOT get away with a photocopy of their ID (now someone will tell me I'm wrong....).

What about the thousand times my passport has been several days at an embassy getting a visa? Would I be in clink till I get my passport back?

So .... those criminals who steal passports and sell them on will know for certain that EVERY tourist and expat will definitely be carrying a passport.  I reckon muggings and pickpocketing will skyrocket - these passports are worth a fortune.

• Like 2

It all looks like a challenge!

I don't know who is challenging who but it is happening.

The boss of Hua Hin must have caused yesterdays instruction to occur and here he is on today.

Why?

Whats the challenge? Maybe we should ask the Good General Prayuth.

Life goes on

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

Me too. The only time I had to replace a passport before expiration date (years ago, in another country) was when I got caught in the rain and passport got so wet, it was worthless. I'd rather pay the fine if caught. 

Edited by dotx

Why is it always the Thai way to dream up a solution

announce it

then with ref to the tsunami of queries and angst

'clarify' it

Can they never think it though first

Or

failing that dont pharmacies have any balm for jerking knees?

This is the way it is supposed to be. the police have the right to ask to see your passport anytime they want. Now granted most of the time just your Thai drivers license is good enough, but there are times when they will ask for it and you are supposed to keep it with you at all times.

I think everyone grasps that.

The issue is it's impractical and potentially a gold mine for cops. Most countries have similar laws but don't enforce them.

Hua Hin came out yesterday and said they will enforce and clarified today. It's absurdly impractical when a photocopy can provide all the required information ...

It just isn't realistic or practical for many of us.  I've been working here for 21 years and if I had been keeping it with me all this time it would bound to have either been lost, stolen or damaged at some point.  Plus stress of that happening or forgetting it. 

I thought there was a policy of presenting it when asked in a reasonable amount of time such as 24 hours.  Guess not.

I think you'll find the latter is the case, with the vast majority of cops. Only the most literal followers of the law will enforce this requirement, as in the past.

• Like 1

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

Edited by sunray69