Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

Jeez, what is wrong with you people with these negative comments. It's the law and has been for a while. Plenty of western countries were it's mandatory that you carry a photo id. Get a grip f f s

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE Edited by boike

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Jeez, what is wrong with you people with these negative comments. It's the law and has been for a while. Plenty of western countries were it's mandatory that you carry a photo id. Get a grip f f s

Sent from my Galaxy S4 4G LTE

Passport. Not just any photo ID. 

Edited by Jingthing

I reckon I'm going to breach this rule then and pay up the 2k when caught. Replacing the passport with all it's stamps if it's stolen is a far larger risk.

Agreed

Not very smart of you,,,, say  the porkers stop you 5 times a day while you traveling that will be 10 000 Baht a day,,,just do as most Thai do , carry your Man bag ,you don't have to be a sissy or gay to carry one .I got one now to we get use to it.

Edited by Doc46

Again it's the law to carry it. You don't trust yourself not to lose it?

What a silly question. The vast majority of people reading this thread have never carried it with them regularly and won't now. 

• Like 1

They should just tattoo our immigration status on our arm. Add a new one every 90 days when go to immigration to check in.

Like the Germans did in 1933 - 1945?

Raus! Auslander Raus! ...as they hurried the foreign menace onto the trains.

The junta leader has made the foreign menace in Thailand a priority.

• Like 1

What a silly question. The vast majority of people reading this thread have never carried it with them regularly and won't now. 

And they have not carried it with them because taking valuables is usually considered a very irresponsible thing to do. Tourists and residents are usually advised to keep valuables, including passports, locked away safely.

And no, I don't trust myself enough to not lose my passport. But I am responsible enough to leave it at home. 

Edited by Moonrakers
  • Like 1

The law of the land say that as a foreigner you MUST carry your passport. No ifs or buts, no copies or excuses. Stick inside the law and you won't be risking a fine. Simples!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app
  • Like 1

The law of the land say that as a foreigner you MUST carry your passport. No ifs or buts, no copies or excuses. Stick inside the law and you won't be risking a fine. Simples!

Unless your lose your passport or it is stolen and then you have to apply for a new one, Which takes time, and money, and by the time your passport comes back you may well be on overstay. This would mean that you have to pay a fine PLUS all the additional costs and hassle of having to replace your passport. 

Unless your lose your passport or it is stolen and then you have to apply for a new one, Which takes time, and money, and by the time your passport comes back you may well be on overstay. This would mean that you have to pay a fine PLUS all the additional costs and hassle of having to replace your passport. 

Of course losing your passport will open you up to potential daily fines for what could be several months (if it's a UK passport) whilst you're waiting for it to be delivered.

It's much better to avoid losing it in the first place which is why people don't carry it around with them all the time.

Maybe long term visa holders could carry a certified true copy of passport along with ID card Thai Visa could ask Police Colonel, otherwise passport theft and muggings will increase if they know everyone's carrying a passport.

I wont carry passport everyday when I live in Thailand.

You could go to Immigration office to get a certified true copy and then you would have to carry that plus a Thai issued ID card or valid DL.

Edited by kiwikeith

Sometimes the law is an Ass.

If the law said you must jump off a bridge, would you jump off a bridge?

There's a slight difference in jumping off a bridge and carrying your passport.

• Like 1

Maybe long term visa holders could carry a certified true copy of passport along with ID card Thai Visa could ask Police Colonel, otherwise passport theft and muggings will increase if they know everyone's carrying a passport.
I wont carry passport everyday when I live in Thailand.

You could go to Immigration office to get a certified true copy and then you would have to carry that plus a Thai issued ID card or valid DL.

The law says "No."

Well that wasn't what I expected when I saw that headline... I was expecting a climb-down from yesterday's announcement.

So now my Thai driving licence is unacceptable!!!

It is clearly silly to expect tourists to carry their passports at all times, some like to go swimming or a day out to the islands etc.

I worry it is more about 'imposing fines' than keeping track of overstayers and foreign criminals who may be staying illegally in the country! The easier solutions to that would be for immigration to do its job more thoroughly, stopping criminals at the point of entry, and once an overstayer is determined by their records, search for him/her directly, rather than harassing others.

It really is looking zenophobic.

For offshore workers, or others who frequently travel in and out, if might as well be a service offered at the airport.

But it is all of little relevance, since it is deemed not acceptable..until the next announcement perhaps!

I read a report earlier talking about a foreigner getting stopped and fined Wednesday in Hua Hin.

No link due to linking policy.

For what offence did he get fined, ie what does it say on the fine document? This is the information we need.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I read a report earlier talking about a foreigner getting stopped and fined Wednesday in Hua Hin.

No link due to linking policy.

For what offence did he get fined, ie what does it say on the fine document? This is the information we need.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It wasn't a detailed report, just a complaint by someone who's 'friend' was stopped and fined. Then someone else said police were hanging around outside one of the golf clubs.

No further information was supplied.