Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

said in another thread the fine will be up to 20,000 and two years in jail from August 29th for failure to produce passport:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747534-august-29-heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-thai-immigration/

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years" Edited by ColdSingha

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My neighbour works at the Hua Hin Immigration office and when i asked him about this, he gave me a one word answer  "Bull****". I guess that sort of answered my question. He also said that farangs have always been expected to carry some form of ID with them but they rarely ever do and it's not really a problem cos they normally have their passport at home or in their hotel safe, no big deal.

Edited by lucifer666

The law of the land say that as a foreigner you MUST carry your passport. No ifs or buts, no copies or excuses. Stick inside the law and you won't be risking a fine. Simples!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The law of the land criminalizes breathing.. Obey the law !! 

Maybe long term visa holders could carry a certified true copy of passport along with ID card Thai Visa could ask Police Colonel, otherwise passport theft and muggings will increase if they know everyone's carrying a passport.

I wont carry passport everyday when I live in Thailand.

You could go to Immigration office to get a certified true copy and then you would have to carry that plus a Thai issued ID card or valid DL.

They just asked.. He said no.. 

said in another thread the fine will be up to 20,000 and two years in jail from August 29th for failure to produce passport:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747534-august-29-heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-thai-immigration/

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years"

Yes, I read this in one of the newspapers, the same article as linked above.

It's referring to people on long overstays who can't produce their passport at all, not a case where you need to go home and get it from your safe, etc.

They will be able to look up anyones arrival date by looking on their computer systems.

The fine coincidentally matches the current maximum overstay fine.

What about terrorist stealing your passport?   Kind of a joke , make it easy, think of the Malaysia flight stolen passports... just saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thumbsup.gif .................................................................................wai.gif

So .... those criminals who steal passports and sell them on will know for certain that EVERY tourist and expat will definitely be carrying a passport.  I reckon muggings and pickpocketing will skyrocket - these passports are worth a fortune.

Excellent point with serious implications . I don't think this enforcement has been thought through . Surely a main page copy would suffice to enable a data base check .

One other point ,

does this forum ever get checked by the Thai authorities ? not that they care about the opinions of farangs . Also has there ever been figures / info given out regarding the farang population residing in Thailand and a guesstimate of their financial contribution .

If they had of been doing there job in the first place... There wouldn't be 60,000 crims walking around.... If you want to hang out in the tourist area's then you may just have to pay 2,000 if unlucky enough... From where I live, I am the only White F....k walking around and no one gives a 2nd glance or gives a shit.. I follow the law same as anybody else..

Its a 2,000 B fine for me all the way.. However, once they relies that we are not carrying them on us and we are paying the Fine... That fine will soon double.. 

The level of belligerence, bitching and moaning by TVs army of arm-chair experts is as amusing as it is pathetic. Thailand is not the only country in the world that requires citizens to carry their identity card at all times and for non-citizens to carry their passport at all times. Bitch and squeal all you like, but the OP is very clear.

I've carried my work permit and passport with me every day since arriving in Thailand nine years ago. I carry my passport wherever I go in other countries in the region where the LAW is the same.

As much as I have no interest in reading posts by people bitching and moaning about how unfair the enforcement of visa overstay laws and now black banning regulations are I have no interest in reading future posts about people being fined for not carrying their passports. What don't you understand: It's the law. If you can't go to 7/11 or Tesco without losing your passport perhaps you shouldn't leave your nursing home.

A drivers licence or photocopy of a passport proves nothing. Anyone reasonably competent with Photoshop can adjust arrival stamps for a copy in a few minutes.

It's obvious that Thailand is moving into line with other countries in the region in trying to clear the undesirables out. It also possibly has something to do with the two false passports that originated in Thailand and were used to board MH370.

Conform or SILENTLY pay the fine. But please don't start bitching and moaning and starting new forum threads when you get detained and have to wait at a police station until someone brings you your original passport and then you have to cough up a payment for the privilege of keeping the cops company.

I've carried my work permit and passport with me every day since arriving in Thailand nine years ago. I carry my passport wherever I go in other countries in the region where the LAW is the same.

Good for you, I've only ever carried my passport around when I was breaching a curfew, apart from that it stays at home.

Edited by ukrules

Wait until they start random inspections in Nana and all other foreign hangouts...........

This is going to be a nice little earner and a real pain.

Mines staying in the office.

'So farang, that is 2000 baht for you throw cigarette on ground..... can I see your passport now?'

Hua Hin off my list and I shall continue hoping my driving licence will suffice.

It would be more agreeable if, after being stopped and asked for my passport, I was given 24 hours to appear at immigration with it.

Maybe long term visa holders could carry a certified true copy of passport along with ID card Thai Visa could ask Police Colonel, otherwise passport theft and muggings will increase if they know everyone's carrying a passport.

You could go to Immigration office to get a certified true copy and then you would have to carry that plus a Thai issued ID card or valid DL.

I don't understand the whole panic. 

If you would ask the fine Police Colonel if prostitution is legal in Thailand he also had to answer: Prostitution is not legal in Thailand. Even Thais ;)  can get fined or arrested for it.

Last time I drove through my local village the medical massage house with the funny lights that opens up until 03:00 looked pretty busy.

So unless I see some threads on thaivisa.com with the title:

I just paid 2000 THB fine because I had not my original passport with me

it makes no big difference to me. 

In the past a valid DL was always accepted, I was once ( in the last 12 years) asked for a passport at a normal traffic control, by a volunteer police...
Answered: Passport is at home, Passport number is on the DL. If you want to check the visa status call immigration , they have it on the computer.

Also the address report within 24h, that is ok for a Hotel, guest house or something like that but if I live 10 years at the same address, I'm not going to report if I plan to stay 2 days at the house of the in laws.

The freaky 90 days report is already a waste of time. What is to report if nothing has changed? Ok, I understand to report a permanent new address within 24h, accepted - but thats it.
Somebody that has a 2 years overstay does usually no 90 day report anyway.

If immigration want 100% control I would recommend to make it mandatory to wear a GPS ankle monitor for all foreigner.

• Like 1

Did the good Colonel actually quote the law that requires this?

It's been a burning question here for years.

There are two relevant laws. The Thai ID Card Act and the Alien Registration Act B.E. 2493. For a foreigner, the Thai drivers license, passport, or verified copy of from your embassy or from immigration has always been enough to fulfill the "ID" requirement of the ID Card Act. I even read once an official stating that a notorized copy would suffice. The Alian Registration Act doesn't specifically say you must carry your passport either. It just says that you must be able to show a competent official that you "entered the Kingdom legally." This is where the ambiguity lies. A copy may be enough to "prove you entered legally." but it is up the the official. Normally they accept this, but sometimes they ask you to arrange the original passport brought to you, meanwhile you are detained. It is virtually unheard of to be fined for violating the immigration act under that circumstance.

That's a good little sheep, I'm very pleased for you. I await the ' bitching and moaning ' when you inevitably have to wade through all that bureaucracy after you get your pocket felt. Don't tell me, you're one of those anoraks that doesn't drink, doesn't smoke and only ever goes out for a wild session of trainspotting. lol

I await proper confirmation on a higher up on this and how it all transpires on the ground over the coming months. Although it's always been the rule, it is not practical to carry such a valuable document for those that live here permanently -- train spotters exempted. Further, it gives the police huge incentive to pull and shakedown any and all farangs. Whatever happens, mine stays put!

This will not be enforced unless one is caught for some other issue and they decide to tack it on.  They can not go around checking people because if they did too many tourists would stop coming.

The level of belligerence, bitching and moaning by TVs army of arm-chair experts is as amusing as it is pathetic. Thailand is not the only country in the world that requires citizens to carry their identity card at all times and for non-citizens to carry their passport at all times. Bitch and squeal all you like, but the OP is very clear.

As much as I have no interest in reading posts by people bitching and moaning about how unfair the enforcement of visa overstay laws and now black banning regulations are I have no interest in reading future posts about people being fined for not carrying their passports. What don't you understand: It's the law. If you can't go to 7/11 or Tesco without losing your passport perhaps you shouldn't leave your nursing home.

A drivers licence or photocopy of a passport proves nothing. Anyone reasonably competent with Photoshop can adjust arrival stamps for a copy in a few minutes.

It's obvious that Thailand is moving into line with other countries in the region in trying to clear the undesirables out. It also possibly has something to do with the two false passports that originated in Thailand and were used to board MH370.

Conform or SILENTLY pay the fine. But please don't start bitching and moaning and starting new forum threads when you get detained and have to wait at a police station until someone brings you your original passport and then you have to cough up a payment for the privilege of keeping the cops company.

And do you think those passports were stolen from a safe? Or just stolen under other circumstances?

This is all about commonsense of protecting ones legal identity. But it seems that some forum commentators do not recognise commonsense either!

A clarification from Bangkok this time:

"He added that starting from August 29, foreigners who failed to produce their passports would be fined up to Bt20,000 and jailed for up to two years."

The fact that it says "failed to produce" and not "failed to carry on their person." is just more proof that this is much to do about nothing, because it is the exact same wording they have always used. The police have always defined "able to produce." as in if it's at home or the office, someone brings it to you while you wait if for some reason they don't accept your PP photocopy and or Thai DL.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747534-august-29-heavy-new-penalties-await-visa-overstays-thai-immigration/?utm_source=newsletter-20140731-0747&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by NomadJoe
  • Like 2

I don't understand the whole panic. 

If you would ask the fine Police Colonel if prostitution is legal in Thailand he also had to answer: Prostitution is not legal in Thailand. Even Thais ;)  can get fined or arrested for it.

Last time I drove through my local village the medical massage house with the funny lights that opens up until 03:00 looked pretty busy.

So unless I see some threads on thaivisa.com with the title:

I just paid 2000 THB fine because I had not my original passport with me

it makes no big difference to me. 

In the past a valid DL was always accepted, I was once ( in the last 12 years) asked for a passport at a normal traffic control, by a volunteer police...
Answered: Passport is at home, Passport number is on the DL. If you want to check the visa status call immigration , they have it on the computer.

Also the address report within 24h, that is ok for a Hotel, guest house or something like that but if I live 10 years at the same address, I'm not going to report if I plan to stay 2 days at the house of the in laws.

The freaky 90 days report is already a waste of time. What is to report if nothing has changed? Ok, I understand to report a permanent new address within 24h, accepted - but thats it.
Somebody that has a 2 years overstay does usually no 90 day report anyway.

If immigration want 100% control I would recommend to make it mandatory to wear a GPS ankle monitor for all foreigner.

Prostitution is regulated in Thailand, not "illegal" per se. And has no relevance to this thread.

Sent from my GT-S7270L using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

No way I am going to carry my passport around everywhere. Will then just pay the 2000 THB fine instead. For sure I will not follow this rule. Losing the passport is too much of a risk. 

Yep me too..no way carry it everyday every where....i carry plenty ID with me, if they wanna jack up so be it..wai2.gif

This is worse than what was reported yesterday. Not at all convenient to be carrying your original passport with you everywhere.

Can ThaiVisa check about the requirements for other major cities?

I'm sorry. I don't get this. I have been spending lengthy periods of time here for 7 years.

I don't know how big your passport is but mine is only 12cm long and 9cm wide.

That's 5 by 3 and half inches. It fits into a hip pocket, or I put it in the plastic pouch

the NRMA used to provide, and which I still have for my international driver's licence.

So they are together.

It never occurred to me not to have it with me, when I go outside the village.

I have never met a policeman who wasn't pleased to see it. 

Stay in a hotel you produce your passport. What is the big deal?

In Bali I can get away with just the driver's license. Different horses for different courses.

i just came back from hua hin immigration and my wife asked if i need to carry my passport everywhere. response was common sense should prevail, they are not going to randomly pick people off the street or in restaurants and demand to see passports, so no need to have it while doing short trips (eating out, 7/11, running, gym, etc).

however if i'm somewhere i shouldn't be like an after hours karaoke, or driving somewhere there could be police checkpoints it may be asked for.
  • Like 1