Hua Hin Immigration clarifies rules on foreigners carrying ID

The level of belligerence, bitching and moaning by TVs army of arm-chair experts is as amusing as it is pathetic. Thailand is not the only country in the world that requires citizens to carry their identity card at all times and for non-citizens to carry their passport at all times. Bitch and squeal all you like, but the OP is very clear.

I've carried my work permit and passport with me every day since arriving in Thailand nine years ago. I carry my passport wherever I go in other countries in the region where the LAW is the same.

As much as I have no interest in reading posts by people bitching and moaning about how unfair the enforcement of visa overstay laws and now black banning regulations are I have no interest in reading future posts about people being fined for not carrying their passports. What don't you understand: It's the law. If you can't go to 7/11 or Tesco without losing your passport perhaps you shouldn't leave your nursing home.

A drivers licence or photocopy of a passport proves nothing. Anyone reasonably competent with Photoshop can adjust arrival stamps for a copy in a few minutes.

It's obvious that Thailand is moving into line with other countries in the region in trying to clear the undesirables out. It also possibly has something to do with the two false passports that originated in Thailand and were used to board MH370.

Conform or SILENTLY pay the fine. But please don't start bitching and moaning and starting new forum threads when you get detained and have to wait at a police station until someone brings you your original passport and then you have to cough up a payment for the privilege of keeping the cops company.

Your work permit is supposed to stay in your place of work.

Sorry to inform you that you have been inadvertantly breaking the law all these years.

really?

so how does one get 1 year non b visa in Penang if the wp needs remain at your place of work?

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have lived in quite a few countries and for certain carrying your original passport all the time is simply plain irresponsible.  Make a copy of your passport, visa and last entry. Put in your wallet. Put your passport in the safe. 

The RISK that you are stopped and this not sufficient vs the risk that your passport is lost, stolen, left in your pants and washed, etc. is simply NOT worth it.  This is particularly true for an UK passport holders out there if you have been following just how crazy it has been to get a new one issued, let alone getting a new visa...

Anyway this is NOT to disagree at all with what the law may be or the fine, etc., and not an excuse to do nothing.

The level of belligerence, bitching and moaning by TVs army of arm-chair experts is as amusing as it is pathetic. Thailand is not the only country in the world that requires citizens to carry their identity card at all times and for non-citizens to carry their passport at all times. Bitch and squeal all you like, but the OP is very clear.

I've carried my work permit and passport with me every day since arriving in Thailand nine years ago. I carry my passport wherever I go in other countries in the region where the LAW is the same.

As much as I have no interest in reading posts by people bitching and moaning about how unfair the enforcement of visa overstay laws and now black banning regulations are I have no interest in reading future posts about people being fined for not carrying their passports. What don't you understand: It's the law. If you can't go to 7/11 or Tesco without losing your passport perhaps you shouldn't leave your nursing home.

A drivers licence or photocopy of a passport proves nothing. Anyone reasonably competent with Photoshop can adjust arrival stamps for a copy in a few minutes.

It's obvious that Thailand is moving into line with other countries in the region in trying to clear the undesirables out. It also possibly has something to do with the two false passports that originated in Thailand and were used to board MH370.

Conform or SILENTLY pay the fine. But please don't start bitching and moaning and starting new forum threads when you get detained and have to wait at a police station until someone brings you your original passport and then you have to cough up a payment for the privilege of keeping the cops company.

Sorry to inform you that you have been inadvertantly breaking the law all these years.

really?
so how does one get 1 year non b visa in Penang if the wp needs remain at your place of work?

Dunno. But the document is the property of the company not yours and is supposed to stay on the premises where you work so it can be inspected. Be careful though, my mate had to have it changed when his company changed floors in the same building.

By the way also,your work permit only covers the specific address on the document. I remember a lot of friends getting thr run around from AIS when they were installing thr network for Orange all those years ago. Took them a mountain of paperwork to send their guys out on site.

Wouldn't want to inadvertantly break that law too by going elsewhere for a meeting or up country off premises to a factory or client.

Just helping you to comply and all.

In every country the rule is the same but who is really going to the beach with his passport and which country is really enforcing this to a fine? How much worth a stolen passport for criminals and have you an idea of the hassles in case a tourist loses his passport? Which tourist really want to lose his passport in Thailand? I hope the police force will be flexible with this rule (as all countries are) especially regarding the fine or is this measure to extort the tourists money ? By the way is extortion not criminal offence? You, who make the rules should put yourself at the position of legit tourists and not treat them as criminals at first... We see that Big Generals are in power... What s the next measure?

"in every country the rule is the same"? Utter nonsense. I assume you are Thai or you would know better.

I am not Thai but can you point me a country where you can theorically circulate without a valid ID ?

The US.

Not quite. That's a bit of a grey area. Officially all foreigners in the USA must be able to produce a passport upon request. I know having lived there and if you don't believe me please go to the Australian Government's Smart Traveller website where it specifically states that foreigners MUST be able to produce their passports upon request. I do think the US authorities are reasonable and will be able to verify your status with just a passport number, name and nationality, or a photocopy BUT if you are travelling in the 4 border states with Mexico or in some parts of the northern border with Canada (mainly near New York) then you MUST be able to produce a passport when passing through one of the many border patrol checkpoints. Only US citizens don't have to show ID.

Please see one of many videos about this - although in almost all cases US citizens were being questioned here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZ9mCVOlMJs

It is very unlikely, in the absence of an immigration raid based on a tip-off that any foreigner would be asked for their passport without probable cause EXCEPT in a 100 mile (160km) radius of the Mexican or Canadian borders.

really?

Dunno. But the document is the property of the company not yours and is supposed to stay on the premises where you work so it can be inspected. Be careful though, my mate had to have it changed when his company changed floors in the same building.

By the way also,your work permit only covers the specific address on the document. I remember a lot of friends getting thr run around from AIS when they were installing thr network for Orange all those years ago. Took them a mountain of paperwork to send their guys out on site.

Wouldn't want to inadvertantly break that law too by going elsewhere for a meeting or up country off premises to a factory or client.

Just helping you to comply and all.

Well unless you're Australian due to a clause in the Thai-Australian FTA, which allows Aussies to hold meetings anywhere in Thailand even in locations not mentioned on the work permit. The rules are not necessarily the same for everyone.

Thats definently not correct, as i sit at home in Bali, what we have here is a S.M.P
from the lokal police, registration of residence every six months
They like you to carry a copy but if not "SO WHAT"

Sent from my GT-P3100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I have already had my bag stolen twice in the time I have been here, I for one will not carry my passport and will protest my case if caught and fined.

I would recommend you start taking care of your bag

Okay numbnuts.......snatched from my shoulder by a speeding motorcycle and stolen from luggage compartment on a coach, really my fault I appologise for offending you with my stupidity and feel i got what I deserved....when or if you become a victim of a crime I hope you reserve such judgement for yourself.

And if the passport is stolen, lost, mislaid, all distinctly possible ...?

As for foreign criminals, in Thailand illegally: apart from the obvious question as to how they got in in the first place, how easy do the police suppose these criminals are going to make it for them?

carry original passport ?

what about rent bike or another ...many place keep passport and no accept copy from passport 

so?????????

Up to you. I would never leave my passport as deposit. You are responsible your this document.

[quote name="Tomtomtom69" post="8176942" timestamp="1406781621"]

[quote name="Psychic" post="8173621" timestamp="1406721959"]

This from the Canadian government site and I'm sure other governments have similar language.

Lost, stolen, damaged or found passports
A Canadian passport is a valuable document that should be kept in a safe place at all times. Once a passport has been reported lost or stolen, it is no longer valid and cannot be used for travel. This is to ensure that it is not used for fraudulent purposes. The Government of Canada cannot be held responsible for any difficulties you may encounter at border crossings if you attempt to use a passport that has been reported lost or stolen.

Maintaining the reputation of the Canadian passport requires constant vigilance. As a passport holder you must play your part by taking care of this important travel document.

If you are forced to carry your passport at all times, in all circumstances you will clearly be unable to follow this directive. So which government directive should you obey, your native country's or Thailand which permanently considers you transient as they refuse to give you any degree of permanence such as an ID card might provide.
But this seems to be part of the general trend of "unwelcoming" westerners. The Thai health insurance that is now only being offered to countries that provide cheap labour (and China for some reason) is another example.[/quote]

Psychic, while I agree that this trend is being made towards "unwelcoming" foreigners, I disagree that it is aimed only at westerners but all foreigners. Also, where did you come up with the absurd notion that a potential 1.3 billion Chinese can get access to the 30 Baht health care scheme? I have never heard such crap - please provide me with a link that that Chinese are getting access to Thai public health care for 30 Baht. Because I am almost certain such agreements are borne out of reciprocity and I can almost guarantee you that no Thai can get free health care in China in fact no Chinese can get free health care in China, so why would Thailand roll out the red carpet for them and not anyone else (except migrant laborers)? Sounds like a pretty racist and absurd conspiracy theory to me.

The 30 Baht health care scheme is only offered at public hospitals (which are mostly pretty crap anyway), only to Thais and registered Myanmar, Lao and Cambodian laborers and I believe it covers only the doctor's consulation ONLY. Medicine, tests etc. are all extra. I think it's a bit absurd to think that the 30 Baht health care scheme really goes very far because it doesn't - the Thai health care system is largely user pays despite what you might have heard. While I would never step inside a Thai public hospital again (besides, since I get all my medical bills covered at any hospital in the world, 100% of the bills are paid and I can choose my hospital hence I go private due to my excellent insurance). For private hospitals, most Thais like expats pay themselves unless they have some kind of private or expat insurance. It seems even most rich Thais don't. I have a good Thai friend, now she is definitely of the upper class, very rich family. She's about to have a baby, which she plans to have at some private hospital here in Bangkok. Will it be free? Most certainly not! She'll have to pay something like 60000-70000 Baht, which we lucky Europeans or Australians can get covered for free by our health care systems. And of course for every consultation with the doctor so far, she's paid a good few Baht.[/quote]

[quote name="Tomtomtom69" post="8176942" timestamp="1406781621"]

TTT, the reason I wrote this is because I had read that foreigners were being given access to Thai health insurance for 2200 baht and a 600 baht charge for medical testing. I had no idea that, after it started last year, it was rescinded early this year and all westerners had their money refunded.
So I went to the local hospital last week were they told me it was no problem but the lady who dealt with farangs would be back this week. When I got to talk to her she made a phone call and told me only Cambodian, Burmese, Laotian and Chinese workers are eligible. So, yes, you might be right about it only being for labourers but I would expect they would get the same coverage as Thais. As far as it being only for the doctor, my wife's cousin just spent a week in ICU. I had to give the family money to go visit. I doubt they're paying.
So if my handle on this is correct, Thai companies that want dirt cheap labour can take advantage of the national health scheme to lower their costs. These labourers will send every possible baht back to their native countries. Meanwhile a "rich" westerner who has married, raised a family, bought property they can never own for their Thai spouse and spent decades here while spending millions of baht is locked out of the system. On top of that private insurance is increasingly hard to get after 70. Yes that does sound absurdly racist.
Of course if you're rich you never have a problem.
Anyway not trying to hijack the thread, so enough said on this. Edited by Psychic

I may have found the cause for requiring passports. Section 58 of the Immigration  Act:

Section 58 : Any alien who has no lawful document for entering the Kingdom under Section 12 (1); or

has no Residence Certificate under this Act; and also has no identification in accordance with the Law on
Alien registration, is considered to have entered into the Kingdom in violation to this Act.

Section 12(1):

1. Having no genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of passport ; or having a

genuine and valid passport or document used in lieu of a passport without Visaing by the Royal Thai
Embassies or Consulates in Foreign countries ; or from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs , excepting if a visa
is not required for certain types of aliens in special instances.
Visaing and visa exemption will be under the learn and conditions as provided in the Ministerial
Regulations

So, according to the immigration act a residence certificate (Section 47, looks like they mean a PR) or alien registration book work as well. 

There is however no provision for requiring the documents to be on your person 24/7. You just have to have one.

Edited by DrTuner

Expecting people to carry around their original passport wherever they go is completely ridiculous, and is probably just going to be used as a ruse by the authorities to fleece unsuspecting tourists.

Given Thailand's reputation abroad for pickpockets and scams, most tourists will of course keep their passports in a hotel safe or other secure location, and would never carry them around.

What a disgrace.

Yeah, Im sure visa overstayers are such a major problem in Thailand (not saying they dont exist, but its hardly crime of the century).
As for foreign criminals, such an impoverished group are sure to be scuppered when asked to produce a passport. Bribing police, buying a fake passport or paying a 2000 TB fine is sure to beyond their means.
Typical crock of bullsh#t.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Dear Pol.Col.Thanasak,

Do I really need to carry my passport on me when going to my favorite body massage place in Hua Hin? I am getting really worried here as all that splashing and all that foam could destroy my travel document, yes I know it sound silly but sometimes especially after to many lady drinks the girls can get out of control.

Concerned Alien

ET go home! 

Edited by SunsetT

carry original passport ?

what about rent bike or another ...many place keep passport and no accept copy from passport 

so?????????

This is even MORE crazy than the idea of carrying around your passport with you on the street constantly!  It's hard to believe anyone would be foolish enough to surrender their passport in order to rent a motorbike or auto.  I definitely take hearty exception to the idea that you must be a moron if you get your passport stolen, but giving it up voluntarily to a motorbike renter comes pretty darn close!  If they won't settle for a photocopy, you just plain need to find somebody else to rent from, or not rent..   But you must insist on not giving up your passport to do this.   I think you'll find that some percentage of the time they'll acquiesce if you make it clear you won't hand over your passport.

• Like 1

I can't believe so many members are worrying about this. It is another rule that won't be enforced.

How many of you have an alien certificate? All aliens must apply for one within 14 days of arriving in Thailand. I'

ve been here for 29 years and still haven't got one!

Maybe if you are a tourist you'd be best to carry your passport but those of us who have been here more than a year or so will be able to talk our way out of any fine.

• Like 2

Did the good Colonel actually quote the law that requires this?

It's been a burning question here for years.

Um, Thai visa, what is the actual law reference for  this please.  I BET you can't find it.

You're correct (it has been a burning question for years); but then there's the matter of what the officer who stops you believes the law to be or tells you that it is...  

Well this should help the stolen passport business.

Many more opportunities to find them now.

And the car or bike rental business will plummet unless they find an alternative to

leaving your passport as security for the bike.