new Ed visa can have problem?

There is a (single) recent report about someone that had be made to write some Thai sentences.

Previous visa history should not matter at all.

I would sincerely doubt that report as many schools do not teach reading and writing at all for the first couple years.

However, if the "student" couldn't speak a word of Thai, I can imagine there would be a problem -- particularly if they've been here for a while on an Ed visa.

I would sincerely doubt that report as many schools do not teach reading and writing at all for the first couple years.

Really. According to all accounts, reading and writing is fundamental to learn Thai, and taught early at any reputable school.

There is a (single) recent report about someone that had be made to write some Thai sentences.

Previous visa history should not matter at all.

The OP will be entering with a new visa from an embassy or consulate..

You are confusing reports of somebody entering on a re-entry permit for an extension of stay with a visa.

I don't recall any reports of anybody having a problem entering with a new visa. You old entries on visa exempt and tourist visas do not count because you have a  non immigrant visa.

I had an Ed visa for a year and a half. I learnt to read and write Thai from lesson #1. It's the only way to learn the Thai language with the complex tones effectively. On my trips to immigration in Phuket to do my 90 days report, I was asked many times to write something in Thai. If you can't write a simple sentence, or at least your name, in Thai then the alarm bells are going to start ringing.

• Like 1

I had an Ed visa for a year and a half. I learnt to read and write Thai from lesson #1. It's the only way to learn the Thai language with the complex tones effectively. On my trips to immigration in Phuket to do my 90 days report, I was asked many times to write something in Thai. If you can't write a simple sentence, or at least your name, in Thai then the alarm bells are going to start ringing.

Not all language schools include the writing tho. 

Schools that don't teach Thai writing early are not real schools.

The AUA Thai courses start with spoken Thai only - it seems that reading and writing come at 'intermediate' level. It may seem bizarre, but these courses are not intended as a way of getting ED visas.

The AUA Thai courses start with spoken Thai only - it seems that reading and writing come at 'intermediate' level. It may seem bizarre, but these courses are not intended as a way of getting ED visas.

With my own limited experience I came to to absolutely agree with what the leading textbooks and methods are saying - learning Thai writing together with speaking is absolutely essential, even more than with an European language where at least the script is the same and one can kind of navigate himself.

Then if anyone is OK with wasting one year of study, no problem.

Good schools don't start teaching reading and writing until end of year 1. This is oftenr easoned by the fact it is impossible for any school to keep students at the same level after a matter of time due to students dropping out, new students enrolling et etc. ED visas seem to be under discussion a lot recently but I don't think I have seen any concrete evidence of a crackdown as such or for that matter any refusal's of entry except in one case on this forum which I'm not very convinced by. This forum has been for sometime now a hotbead of scaremongering and rumours!

Really. According to all accounts, reading and writing is fundamental to learn Thai, and taught early at any reputable school.

Most of the schools that I am aware of wait until the student developes a vocabulary. A friend who attends the language school at Payap University in CM started writing after 4 semesters

Most of the schools that I am aware of wait until the student developes a vocabulary. A friend who attends the language school at Payap University in CM started writing after 4 semesters

Laughable. Two years (!) spent doing what, "now listen and repeat with me" ? Or, "memorize in your mind based on approximate romanization" ?

Many years ago my mother wanted to learn Arabic. She didn't progressed much, but as a kid I remember she had her homework of copying and learning one letter at time, then pronunciation, and then putting letters together to finally learn and fully memorize a word, and that since the beginning.

I understand why the people I know complain about their school having no method and no effectiveness.

• Like 1

or the speaking

Can we stop with Thai lessons and thai immigration test?

In ED visa you can study

English

Chinese

Japanese

MuayThai

Etc

just say you are studying Muay Thai and you will be delighted to try your skills on the officer

When I went to school the teacher told us there was no way she would try to teach us how to write Thai straight away.

The reason is, it's to hard and many many people drop out if they try to do that.

Edited by ubonjoe
Changed to default font

Laughable. Two years (!) spent doing what, "now listen and repeat with me" ? Or, "memorize in your mind based on approximate romanization" ?

Many years ago my mother wanted to learn Arabic. She didn't progressed much, but as a kid I remember she had her homework of copying and learning one letter at time, then pronunciation, and then putting letters together to finally learn and fully memorize a word, and that since the beginning.

I understand why the people I know complain about their school having no method and no effectiveness.

Payap is an intensive thai course 3 hours a day 5 times a week and each semester is only one month 60 hours

so in this case 4 semesters is the fourth month, not the forth year