Have you had your passport stolen in Thailand

Passport Theft  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Never in my life.
I remember when I used to live in uk and when u lost passport it was hard to get new one as you had to prove your nationality. Like i had to prove in embassy that I am polish. To do that I needed my birth certificate that was In some gov office back in Poland but how can u go get it without passport?

I have never lost a passport in all the years I have been traveling. I keep my passport handy at all the times and often have it with me here as well as when I have been other countries.

I certainly would not lock up  to where somebody could not easily get if I was stopped and detained until I presented it.

My wallet was once pick-pocketed in Indonesia but my passport was in my camera bag.

Note to US citizens: An expired passport is sufficient proof of identity and US citizenship to obtain a new passport if one is lost or stolen.

Edited by JLCrab

I think a better topic would be : has your Mrs ever washed yours?

YES! Soaked it even! I was in the washer for around 75 minutes together with HER passport, her 3-month old iPad mini, and her ipod touch all inside her Carry All bag.

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

Not in Thailand, had one stolen in Rome along with my camera and flight tickets (bag was removed from under a coffee shop table, wrapping the strap round the chair leg did not deter).

That was in the days when a new UK passport could be obtained from the embassy on the same day, not as is now the same year (if you're lucky).

Yes, I had my passport stolen about 23 years ago on an overland night bus from Bkk to Rattanaburi. I had my travelbag in the overhead bin and went in Korat out for 10 minutes. Only after I returned to Bkk I noticed that my PP and Swiss national drivers license were gone. I never carry my PP ever with me now, except if I really need it, even if the junta requires us to. I have a Swiss national ID card with me all the time, also my Thai driver's license and color copies of my passport in my car. In the 23 years after this incident I have been through many police and army checks and nobody had ever asked me my passport.

Sent via my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 Edited by Dario

Yes, had it pick pocketed in 2004 at Chatuchak week end market. Reported it to Police was given a written letter from Thai Police to show immigration and went to US Embassy where they gave me a 1 year valid  temporary passport  2 days later. Called my airlines and told them new passport would be in hand within week so they said if I brought police report along with newly issued passport they would not charge me for rebooking my flite home. Worked out well for me because I got another week in Thailand.

Yes, in 2006. A few days before the theft I had been somewhere (probably immigration) and put my passport & wallet temporarily in the seat-well of my motorcycle. Being me, I forgot they were there! A few days later, I went to the beach and saw my passport & wallet still there under the seat. I of course reprimanded myself and intended to remove them when I got back to my loom.
Someone else however relieved me of the plan to remove my things and lock them away; namely a thief!
As you can appreciate, I was in a right old pickle. Bank cards & passport gone. To compound the problem, try getting replacement cards sent from England???
Finally, armed with my birth certificate, police report and a copy of the stolen passport, I made my way to the embassy in Bangkok. In those days you could get a replacement passport from the embassy.
Five days later I went to collect my new passport. As you no doubt appreciate, it was a virgin passport devoid of any visas. The British embassy kindly gave me a letter addressed to Thai immigration in which they requested that they re-instate my visas.
Thai immigration were extremely polite. The smiling question was, let me check when you last entered Thailand. Don't forget, my virgin passport referred back to the stolen number.
Immigration gave me 15 days!! The reason being that your previous passport is in the hands of someone else and so we can't see it! Of course I suggested (in vain) that immigration in Chonburi must have my records? They didn't want to help and at this juncture I had made the mistake of going to the Bangkok immigration after picking up my new passport - instead of Chonburi. Whether they would have reacted differently; who knows?
So, 15 days. Well, back in those days you could do a border run so off I went to Cambodia and got myself 30 days grace.
Next thing meant that I needed a non-immigrant O-type visa which meant going to Penang armed with letters of recommendation from Thai people who knew me well. This exercise was successful and so I could now jump through the hoops by getting a letter confirming my income thereby obtaining the retirement visa stamp and finally getting multiple 're-entry exeats.
Today, I believe it would be more of an ordeal because the process of getting a replacement passport is much more rigorous. Going to "Trendy House" with one's application and having a minimum wait of 6 weeks for the new passport. Under today's rules of back-to-back visa runs, I don't know what you could do with only 15 days whilst waiting for 6 weeks??
Here endeth my saga
  • Like 1

whistling.gif  Before I retired in 2010 I worked in some countries which were then under martial law.

Foreigners there were then subject to possible arrest if they did not have their passport on their person when stopped by the military police.

I developed the habit of almost automatically putting my passport in my shirt pocket when I went outside my company compound and on to the streets.

Now, even though it is no longer so important, I still feel like I was missing something and need that passport in my shirt pocket for reassurance.

So, I ALWAYS carry my passport.

Exactly once, in over thirty years I "lost" my passport. Left it by mistake in a Thai taxi in Bangkok.

Went to the local police station in Bangkok to report the loss.

Was filling out the form for the police report, when the taxi driver showed up in the same police station.

He had found my passport, and remembered where he had dropped me off.

He talked to the guest house owner where I stayed then and he found out I had gone to the local police station to report the passport lost.

So he came to the police station to give it back to me.

That was the only time.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

There will be a lot more people responding to this in a few months now people MUST carry the original at all times.

I predict lots will be lost in bars just through drunken carelessness, lots more will be stolen in bars as people leave them on the table to avoid sitting on them and even more will get put through the washer after being left in a trouser pocket.

Mine went through the washer once and looked OK at first - but as it dried out it all delaminated. Didn't have a problem getting through immigration though - they just said I needed a new one.

There will be a lot more people responding to this in a few months now people MUST carry the original at all times.

I predict lots will be lost in bars just through drunken carelessness, lots more will be stolen in bars as people leave them on the table to avoid sitting on them and even more will get put through the washer after being left in a trouser pocket.

Mine went through the washer once and looked OK at first - but as it dried out it all delaminated. Didn't have a problem getting through immigration though - they just said I needed a new one.

which requirement to carry the orignal at all times ?... stay with the plot dear boy, its not a requirement

but to the topic at hand, nearly 30 years all over the world, many countries, some of them considered "very dodgy" indeed

now on my 12 PP issued (I think it is anyway) due to filling them up rather rapidly, and never lost one, never had one stolen, or never had one "washed"...biggrin.png

Yes, in 2006. A few days before the theft I had been somewhere (probably immigration) and put my passport & wallet temporarily in the seat-well of my motorcycle. Being me, I forgot they were there! A few days later, I went to the beach and saw my passport & wallet still there under the seat. I of course reprimanded myself and intended to remove them when I got back to my loom.
Someone else however relieved me of the plan to remove my things and lock them away; namely a thief!
As you can appreciate, I was in a right old pickle. Bank cards & passport gone. To compound the problem, try getting replacement cards sent from England???
Finally, armed with my birth certificate, police report and a copy of the stolen passport, I made my way to the embassy in Bangkok. In those days you could get a replacement passport from the embassy.
Five days later I went to collect my new passport. As you no doubt appreciate, it was a virgin passport devoid of any visas. The British embassy kindly gave me a letter addressed to Thai immigration in which they requested that they re-instate my visas.
Thai immigration were extremely polite. The smiling question was, let me check when you last entered Thailand. Don't forget, my virgin passport referred back to the stolen number.
Immigration gave me 15 days!! The reason being that your previous passport is in the hands of someone else and so we can't see it! Of course I suggested (in vain) that immigration in Chonburi must have my records? They didn't want to help and at this juncture I had made the mistake of going to the Bangkok immigration after picking up my new passport - instead of Chonburi. Whether they would have reacted differently; who knows?
So, 15 days. Well, back in those days you could do a border run so off I went to Cambodia and got myself 30 days grace.
Next thing meant that I needed a non-immigrant O-type visa which meant going to Penang armed with letters of recommendation from Thai people who knew me well. This exercise was successful and so I could now jump through the hoops by getting a letter confirming my income thereby obtaining the retirement visa stamp and finally getting multiple 're-entry exeats.
Today, I believe it would be more of an ordeal because the process of getting a replacement passport is much more rigorous. Going to "Trendy House" with one's application and having a minimum wait of 6 weeks for the new passport. Under today's rules of back-to-back visa runs, I don't know what you could do with only 15 days whilst waiting for 6 weeks??
Here endeth my saga

So bottom line is.....carry valid copies of your passport, (including visa and most recent entry date), work permit plus the original of your Thai driver's licence, BUT NOT YOUR ORIGINAL PASSPORT.  Keep that safely stored at home or safety deposit box, exept of course when travelling abroad or other such activity where a valid passport will have to be produced.  And just hope that a 'beach patrol' or 'jungle safari patrol isn't started up by some enterprising (read corrupt) Thai officer(s) after the military coup period is ended. 

• Like 1

Yes, my passport was stolen when my purse/bag was stolen from my kitchen one evening while my husband and I were upstairs reading and had not yet locked up for the night--it was about 8p.m.  It would be a long story, but the disappearance of my bag was not noticed till afternoon of the following day, and police were notified, but didn't begin serious search for the perpetrators until they (perpetrators) had returned 5 days later and stolen valuables --Rolex, computer, cell phones, etc. from another house while the resident was asleep--from right near his bed, at around midnight.  The perpetrators were eventually caught, and wouldn't admit to entering and taking my bag since that would have been an added charge, but did say that if they had taken such a bag they'd have thrown it into the Ping 'cause there was nothing valuable in it.  The passport was not at all the objective of the theft--just valuables to sell on for drug money.

When I went around getting all the docs, stamps, etc. needed at immigration after getting a new passport, the woman in charge at CNX immigration office where I had to have my most recent entry entered, then gave me a silly snide smile, and not knowing one fact of the situation, scolded me for not being careful enough with my passport. 

Edited by marieb

Was very lucky 34 years ago when I got married. My wife had just got her Australian visa and we were due to fly to Australia in about 2 weeks time when our flat in Bangkok was broken into. Stole some money, camera and a stereo but left both our passports there. That would have been a nightmare getting 2 passports and another visa in 2 weeks.

Still think it was an inside job as only the day before I had withdrawn all my cash from the local bank. Luckily it wasn't in the flat at the time, it was in my pocket getting changed into travellers cheques.

Edited by gawaterman

I think a better topic would be : has your Mrs ever washed yours?

YES! Soaked it even! I was in the washer for around 75 minutes together with HER passport, her 3-month old iPad mini, and her ipod touch all inside her Carry All bag.

Lesson...... do laundry sober.

Where does a wise traveler keep his passport???

On his person in

a neck pouch or under belt ...money belt.

A traveler in his right mind, i.e. not drunk, will never lose his passport this way.

Do not keep at home ... cant get to it quickly and people have home burglaries.

To swim alone, seal passport in plastic baggie and tuck it into your swim pants, front or back.  If you are a strong swimmer, tie the baggie around your waist.

never in Thailand

but once in India

and once in Eqypt

Have also washed mine once  by accident,

but considering i have had passports since 1967 with only the 1st one issued in the states i am doing ok

IF i carry my passport, it goes in my front pants pocket ( us passport) always

Otherwise its locked in the safe at home

• Like 1

Mine was stolen in BKK. Had to pay for a new passport then go to immigration, fill out forms and and get a half dozen stamps. Lots of time and money involved. That is why I don't like the idea of carrying it everywhere I go.

I believe I left mine in my jacket pocket in a wardrobe at the friend's house we were staying in. In those days I didn't carry my passport with me all the time, so I didn't notice it was missing until I had to fetch it to cash some traveller's cheques. We suspect it was stolen by one of the friend's servants.

No, I haven't....but I was only thinking about this today now that all foreigners have to have their passport on them at all times as and from the 29th of this month onward. At first, like some other members here, I thought to myself, I'm not carrying my passport with me everywhere I go for fear of loosing it in whatever manner, rather pay the 2,000 Baht fine. But now that the penalties have increased to a 20,000 Baht fine and a possible 2 years in jail, I'v had a rethink. I asked myself, if I really want to stay in Thailand shouldn't I just accept that this is the way it is now and like it or lump it, if I want to continue with a hassle free stay here I had just better prepare myself for the inevitable, so I purchased a small light passport sized bag to hang around me inside my shirt. If things keep going the way they are the Foreign population may be thinning out and the chances of being stopped and asked to produce said passport will have increased.

No, I haven't....but I was only thinking about this today now that all foreigners have to have their passport on them at all times as and from the 29th of this month onward. At first, like some other members here, I thought to myself, I'm not carrying my passport with me everywhere I go for fear of loosing it in whatever manner, rather pay the 2,000 Baht fine. But now that the penalties have increased to a 20,000 Baht fine and a possible 2 years in jail, I'v had a rethink. I asked myself, if I really want to stay in Thailand shouldn't I just accept that this is the way it is now and like it or lump it, if I want to continue with a hassle free stay here I had just better prepare myself for the inevitable, so I purchased a small light passport sized bag to hang around me inside my shirt. If things keep going the way they are the Foreign population may be thinning out and the chances of being stopped and asked to produce said passport will have increased.

I guess you have not read this  No need to worry says Bangkok Immigration Commander