My friend almost denied entry at Suvarnabhum yesterday with Non Imm ED visa.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand why everyone is saying it is 'illegal' to stay on tourist visas? Then why do they issue triple entry visas that give you the ability to be a tourist for 9 months that have to be used within a certain period of time. If they issue these visas and tell you that you are able to use them how can it be illegal? Do you have to be constantly moving to be a tourist? I've stayed in Thailand for longer as a tourist. I don't work, I am travelling a bit in the country but the majority of the time I stay in one place because I like it. If you are complying with the rules and simply have a visa that the Thai consulate has issued you how are you doing something illegal?

Triple entry visas are the way to go, no probs with that.

I can't understand why everyone is saying it is 'illegal' to stay on tourist visas? Then why do they issue triple entry visas that give you the ability to be a tourist for 9 months that have to be used within a certain period of time. If they issue these visas and tell you that you are able to use them how can it be illegal? Do you have to be constantly moving to be a tourist? I've stayed in Thailand for longer as a tourist. I don't work, I am travelling a bit in the country but the majority of the time I stay in one place because I like it. If you are complying with the rules and simply have a visa that the Thai consulate has issued you how are you doing something illegal?

You are correct in everything you say, but for every honest decent person wanting to do this there are countless undesirables who take advantage of a lax system to live and work illegally in the country. How can immigration and border control tell the difference? Criminals have money too...

As for multiple entry tourist visas I think the idea is you would be travellling around the region and using Thailand as a first and last destination, thus allowing hassle free re-entry at the border - not reside in the country for 90 day intervals, repeatedly doing border hops.

So, while it is technically legal to do it, the fact that you are intent on living in Thailand contradicts the reasons you gave when applying for a tourist visa. A loophole.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ah cool - but some people on the forum seem to make it sound like people are doing something wrong by using the perfectly legal visas issued by the government of the country.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Ah cool - but some people on the forum seem to make it sound like people are doing something wrong by using the perfectly legal visas issued by the government of the country.

I am from the uk, and if i wanted a triple entry, i would go back and get from Birmingham or Hull

'You are correct in everything you say, but for every honest decent person wanting to do this there are countless undesirables who take advantage of a lax system to live and work illegally in the country. How can immigration and border control tell the difference? Criminals have money too...

As for multiple entry tourist visas I think the idea is you would be travellling around the region and using Thailand as a first and last destination, thus allowing hassle free re-entry at the border - not reside in the country for 90 day intervals, repeatedly doing border hops.

So, while it is technically legal to do it, the fact that you are intent on living in Thailand contradicts the reasons you gave when applying for a tourist visa. A loophole.'

How is it a loophole? There is no rule that says you have to leave the country? It can't be designed for going in and out because they offer 15-30 day visa exemptions that cover that for genuine tourists. If they didn't want it to be used that way there would be a rule that says you need to leave the country within x days and they wouldn't offer extensions.

How can they tell the difference? They can't, which is why people who are genuinely tourists and not working nor criminals are genuinely at a loss to know what to do

Edited by agrippinamaior
  • Like 2

'You are correct in everything you say, but for every honest decent person wanting to do this there are countless undesirables who take advantage of a lax system to live and work illegally in the country. How can immigration and border control tell the difference? Criminals have money too...

So, while it is technically legal to do it, the fact that you are intent on living in Thailand contradicts the reasons you gave when applying for a tourist visa. A loophole.'

How is it a loophole? There is no rule that says you have to leave the country? It can't be designed for going in and out because they offer 15-30 day visa exemptions that cover that for genuine tourists. If they didn't want it to be used that way there would be a rule that says you need to leave the country within x days and they wouldn't offer extensions.

How can they tell the difference? They can't, which is why people who are genuinely tourists and not working nor criminals are genuinely at a loss to know what to do

This argument has played itself out so many times here...

If you are staying in hotels, touring, eating in restaurants every day then yes, I agree you are a tourist.

If however, you have bought property, own vehicles, and consider this your permanent home - then no, I do not agree you are merely a poor hard done by tourist; you are exploiting a loophole by lying when applying for a tourist visa.

• Like 1

Most countries give you 3 month, 6 months or even 1 year tourist visas. This system is/was about $$$ much $$$$ . Actually what Thai Immigration is doing now is pretty unfair, for many years everyone tells yet it is okay you can do that. They pretend to you what you are doing is okay. Come here stay, spend your money. Visa tours, other foreigners and even immigration officers told you how it is done. Now in just a few weeks they start to clean out these people who build a life here. Bought property, cars etc... many trillions of THB and now...get the f**k out!

Edited by SoFarAndNear

If you are staying in hotels, touring, eating in restaurants every day then yes, I agree you are a tourist.

If however, you have bought property, own vehicles, and consider this your permanent home - then no, I do not agree you are merely a poor hard done by tourist; you are exploiting a loophole by lying when applying for a tourist visa.

Why are you not a tourist? Why are you allowed to buy all of this as a 'tourist'?! And what visa you can apply for if you spent "under" 10 mio THB?

Most countries give you 3 month, 6 months or even 1 year tourist visas. This system is/was about $$$ much $$$$ . Actually what Thai Immigration is doing now is pretty unfair, for many years everyone tells yet it is okay you can do that. They pretend to you what you are doing is okay. Come here stay, spend your money. Visa tours, other foreigners and even immigration officers told you how it is done. Now in just a few weeks they start to clean out these people who build a life here. Bought property, cars etc... many trillions of THB and now...get the <deleted> out!

You are only allowed to stay 60+30 on the tourist visa. Even if people here all the time say that they stay 9 months with the triple visa, they don't really do that. They have to leave Thailand at least two times

• Like 2

ROTFL. There was no 'skirting around the rules'.

I'm a citizen of an EU country so, for me, I can live in any EU country for at least 6 months with no need to do anything. After that, in most countries, I'm required to register and pay taxes.

There you go - you can now return to skirting around the law in your own neck of the woods...

• Like 1

I've always thought you'd have to be nuts to buy any kind of property in Thailand. The country is far too unstable and has been for as long as I've been working here, coming here or here as a tourist. You couldn't pay me to buy anything in Thailand that would prevent me leaving at the drop of a hat. In fact, I'm actually amazed at the farangs that do and have just presumed they have money to burn.

thumbsup.gif

and these visa revisions will potentially reduce  the condo buying market even further, despite the fact that buildings are going up like mushrooms in Pattaya.facepalm.gif

"  Don't let yourself get attached to anything you are not willing to walk out on in thirty seconds flat, if you feel the heat around the corner."

Robert De Niro in the movie “ Heat “

Edited by Asiantravel

Why are you not a tourist? Why are you allowed to buy all of this as a 'tourist'?! And what visa you can apply for if you spent "under" 10 mio THB?

Let me ask you this - on a tourist visa you have managed to purchase property in your name, register a car, in your name? No.

As a tourist you do not have the right to ownership.

Your land is in a Thai company or national's name, is it not?

Do you own more than 49%, even though you may 'control' the company? I won't dare to ask how many 'control' their wives laugh.pngblink.png

Be honest, those who have 'invested' 'large' amounts of money here, those who no longer can live here on a tourist visa only have themselves to blame.

That's wrong. A tourist can buy whatever he want, but land. I just bought and registered a motorcycle on my name.

• Like 2

Let me ask you this - on a tourist visa you have managed to purchase property in your name, register a car, in your name? No.

Your land is in a Thai company or national's name, is it not?

Do you own more than 49%, even though you may 'control' the company? I won't dare to ask how many 'control' their wives laugh.pngblink.png

Be honest, those who have 'invested' 'large' amounts of money here, those who no longer can live here on a tourist visa only have themselves to blame.

Yes you can buy a car! You need a residence certificate from your embassy.

Yes you can buy property. You can buy a condo!

Now one mentioned business or company ownership.

Let's be honest?! Yes somehow it is maybe not smart to buy. But People where told for many years or decades (also by Immigration) what they are doing is okay. Now they have to leave their property?!

Thanks for this report. This is now a third mention on TVF of someone having problems with NON-ED in the past two days. I guess the crackdown on NON-ED is officially starting

From the OP:

"His ED visa is valid until January."

Why are you talking about NON-ED?

"His ED visa is valid until January."

Why are you talking about NON-ED?

You have been chastising people since years but haven't learn the slang yet? Non-immigrant ED. 

• Like 2

ROTFL. There was no 'skirting around the rules'.

I'm a citizen of an EU country so, for me, I can live in any EU country for at least 6 months with no need to do anything. After that, in most countries, I'm required to register and pay taxes.

There you go - you can now return to skirting around the law in your own neck of the woods...

Skirting the law? What? On valid tourist visas, as a tourist, traveling all over Thailand and spending my UK-earned income?

I'll be sure to tell everyone I know when I get back to Europe, DO NOT VISIT THAILAND as apparently tourists are 'skirting the law' in Thailand if they spend more than a couple of days in the country.

Personally, I'm guessing the Thai government would rather have me than so many of the farangs currently in Thailand on 'retirement visas' and 'ED visas' yet illegally teaching here. But, they'll no longer have that option as I'll be spending my hard-earned money in Europe.

But do expect to hear me laughing when the next round of visa clampdowns hits you and you are then one of those 'skirting the law' - ROTFL.

Done here. TV never disappoints me. Nor the farangs that troll the forums.

• Like 1

In my opinion your post could be called scare or rumor mongering. There has been no indication of any sort of changes. The reports for ED visas and extension has been going on for some time.

It occurred to me immediately that the proper, factual title of the thread should be:

My friend entered at Suvarnabhumi yesterday with a non-imm ED visa.

Shouldn't this post title read, "farang tourist admitted to Thailand after Immigration authorities ask him some questions"!

Clock says you beat me to it!

Edited by wandasloan
  • Like 1

And so it goes on.. 

The "just get a real visa" crowd must be starting to feel a little less sure of themselves. 

Retirement visas are next according to a Thai I know at Thai immigration.

Wonder what the 'get rid of the scumbags' crowd are going to say then when they suddenly can't get a retirement visa anymore?

I believe too, this is the next logical step. Probably earlier then later.

I don't believe this for one minute. What's wrong with the oldies?

And so it goes on.. 

The "just get a real visa" crowd must be starting to feel a little less sure of themselves. 

Retirement visas are next according to a Thai I know at Thai immigration.

Wonder what the 'get rid of the scumbags' crowd are going to say then when they suddenly can't get a retirement visa anymore?

I believe too, this is the next logical step. Probably earlier then later.

I don't believe this for one minute. What's wrong with the oldies?

Agreed, there's a couple on here who have lost the plot completely, pampers sales must be soaring.