Transfer from abroad to Thai GF

Simple procedure with.

US Automated Clearing House system (US ACH) and Bangkok Bank's New York branch.

By stipulating the 9-digit routing number for Bangkok Bank's New York branch (026008691) in your US transfer instruction, the funds will be transferred via the US ACH system directly to the receiver's Bangkok Bank account in Thailand, for a lower fee than most other international wire transfer services.

link as follows to complete transfer.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/bangkokbank/personalbanking/dailybanking/transferingfunds/transferringintothailand/receivingfundsfromusa/pages/receivingfundsfromusa.aspx

Edited by Brit_Doggie

Just send SWIFT transfer. Need the precise account name and number (must exactly match the transfer or it will fail), bank name and SWIFT code. Per BritDoggie, it will be easier in future is she opens a Bangkok Bank account here and do it that way. Simple and cheaper.

CHIVAS it is good to have some members on TV who are not ridden with prejudice about Thai women. Thanks for saving the honor of Farang.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I see it all the time and 99% of the time the cynical ones are the guys who have been rammed by Thais and assume all are the same. First Thai wife and myself bought house together naturally in her name but upon divorce agreed sensible deal which she has stuck by.

• Like 2

5000 USD is below the limit for declaration.

So she does have to declare/sign a form.

Some rumours spread up in the last days (here in the forum) about transfers being withheld/delayed for unknown reasons.

Hope it is all rumours.

If you intend to transfer more money in the future: get a debit card.

Send it to her (while little or no money on the card account).

Send her the pin.

When she got both, fill up the debit card account as intended and let her withdraw at a Thai ATM

Quick and cheap (for small amounts < 1000 USD).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Some rumours spread up in the last days (here in the forum) about transfers being withheld/delayed for unknown reasons.

Hope it is all rumours.

Send her the pin.

When she got both, fill up the debit card account as intended and let her withdraw at a Thai ATM

Not pracitcal, if he sends her a debit card from USA most US banks charge a 3%  fee for using the card overseas  = withdraw $1,000 USD get charged $30 plus 180 baht at local ATM  Total cost $36   Could wire tranfwer from US bank to Thai bank for $25---$35 for one time transfer up to I think $5,000----$9,999.

• Like 1

KhunBENQ, this is exactly what I did with my wife when I was still having to work back in the states. My bank does not charge fees for debit card use overseas, simply back sure your bank doesn't charge overseas fees. Yes there is a 150/180 baht charge now for foreign debit card use in ATM, but you will still find it cheaper than wire transfers, minimum 25 USD, unless it is done in small amounts over and over again.
  • Like 1

KhunBENQ, this is exactly what I did with my wife when I was still having to work back in the states. My bank does not charge fees for debit card use overseas, simply back sure your bank doesn't charge overseas fees. Yes there is a 150/180 baht charge now for foreign debit card use in ATM, but you will still find it cheaper than wire transfers, minimum 25 USD, unless it is done in small amounts over and over again.

Exactly.

It is practical.

Can not speak for rip off banks that charge 3%,

I am not an expert in US banking institutions.

I sitll have debit cards that do not charge any overseas charges.

One of them even reimburses the 150 Baht ATM fee, unbeatable.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ian, you seem to move in the right circles, for you.

Perhaps but me being here a while and seeing so much stuff, I did think on similar lines to Ian, but of course we don't know the OP's story, so don't dismiss others thoughts. smile.png

It is important to know which banks have direct dealing with overseas banks otherwise money is sent from OS (charges apply) to their reciprical bank in Thailand (who take charges) then transfer to the bank in question.  Got caught this way before so opened an account with the reciprical bank and now only the 2 charges. - not 3 lots. 

one girl told me you need to add a surcharge of 20% to cover the fees incurred.   So op would need to send $6,000 in order for girl to pick up  $5000.

Now everyone knows you're trolling Buddy..............

Maximum that would cost from a Brit Bank is around a tenner Sterling and probably 500 Baht at receiving end so £20 or $34 tops........$1000 !!

Exactly, and I am having a laugh about it.

Having some girl advice him on banking charges :D

Sent from my iPad so Please excuse any typos

Hope it is all rumours.

Send her the pin.

Not pracitcal, if he sends her a debit card from USA most US banks charge a 3%  fee for using the card overseas  = withdraw $1,000 USD get charged $30 plus 180 baht at local ATM  Total cost $36   Could wire tranfwer from US bank to Thai bank for $25---$35 for one time transfer up to I think $5,000----$9,999.

Actually, the international fee is 1%, not 3%.  This fee is charged by Visa or Mastercard, not by the bank.  Some banks add more, but it is easy to avoid those.  There are some cards that charge zero int'l fee (in other words, the bank eats the 1% fee.)  I have one such card from Chase Bank; there are others.  All told, this is a good solution.  The only fee involved is the ATM fee.  Of course, there is a daily and per-use withdrawal limit, so it would take multiple withdrawals to get all the cash out.  Do the math and calculate what the ATM fees would total. 

• Like 2

CHIVAS it is good to have some members on TV who are not ridden with prejudice about Thai women. Thanks for saving the honor of Farang.

Sent from my HTC One using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Prejudice developed from experience perhaps.

Sometimes dismissed too readily.

The question could be better answered if you revealed where you are transferring the money from.

I have received such amounts in Thailand without issue, and you can include some reason within the transfer like condo purchase, buy vehicle, sick buffalo...etc :d

• Like 1