Retirement in Thailand. At what age does it become unworkable?

NCC1701A

Hi.
I'm 73.  Walk an hr a day in the hills round here (Coastal Queensland)  Ride pushbike on alternate days. 40 minutes.
Live in 2 story house, 14 stairs.
Have heated (31\32 deg) 8 mtr Pool in back garden with swim jets.

Until I was 68\9 I paddled the Outrigger Canoes (6 man crews)  Competitively with the 45\55 yr olds.
We only had 3 members over 60. need 6 to a team (boat)

Sept, we going to US. Mexico. Peru. Chili, and North Isl N.Z. for the Inca.mayan etc ruins temples. Also booked in for the 4 day Inca Trail hike.

I don't consider us old at my age. Just carrying extra ballast and slowed down a bit is all. (110 kg , but reasonably fit)

Don't let yourself get out of condition too much. it farks your lifestyle and health.

All my genes go to usually early 3 figures b4 falling over.  Hopefully I won't last that long,
ask me in 20 yrs.

PS.
The poster above me.
How did you ask her too marry you if you don't speak the language, and visa versa.
Or is it a Food. Dishes. Bed. roll over relationship.
Sign language.

How the hell could you live a life outside the cot of you can't communicate verbally????.

Here is the answer to your question:

Some thought provoking stuff......old age isn't the Scarey part, running low of money is problematic, losing ones memory is a big concern.

I've decided to conduct self assessment monthly, when I fail 'my tests' I am booking a skydiving trip, I'm going to parachute but forget to wear the parachute.

Money isn't my concern, nor is Thailand really, I just don't want to live without at least half a bag of marbles. I'm about 70% full ATM.

There are a few ppl on this forum caring for people, I don't wish that for anyone in my family.

Parachuting is fun, why not go out with one last thrill ...... I know my days are numbered, but I've been lucky up until now so, 'Mai pben rai' .
  • Like 1

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi.
I'm 73.  Walk an hr a day in the hills round here (Coastal Queensland)  Ride pushbike on alternate days. 40 minutes.

Until I was 68\9 I paddled the Outrigger Canoes (6 man crews)  Competitively with the 45\55 yr olds.

Sept, we going to US. Mexico. Peru. Chili, and North Isl N.Z. for the Inca.mayan etc ruins temples. Also booked in for the 4 day Inca Trail hike.

I don't consider us old at my age. Just carrying extra ballast and slowed down a bit is all. (110 kg , but reasonably fit)

Don't let yourself get out of condition too much. it farks your lifestyle and health.

All my genes go to usually early 3 figures b4 falling over.  Hopefully I won't last that long,
ask me in 20 yrs.

PS.
The poster above me.
How did you ask her too marry you if you don't speak the language, and visa versa.
Sign language.

How the hell could you live a life outside the cot of you can't communicate verbally????.

Some thought provoking stuff......old age isn't the Scarey part, running low of money is problematic, losing ones memory is a big concern.

I've decided to conduct self assessment monthly, when I fail 'my tests' I am booking a skydiving trip, I'm going to parachute but forget to wear the parachute.

Money isn't my concern, nor is Thailand really, I just don't want to live without at least half a bag of marbles. I'm about 70% full ATM.

There are a few ppl on this forum caring for people, I don't wish that for anyone in my family.

Parachuting is fun, why not go out with one last thrill ...... I know my days are numbered, but I've been lucky up until now so, 'Mai pben rai' .

That is taking jumping to a new high.

• Like 1

There's one guy on this forum, lovely chap taking care of his mother with dementia & what he and his family deal with, day in, day out 24/7 is something I want for nobody in the family.

I'm not scared of death, been there before, it's living that scares me , especially bringing hard times to my loved ones.

I wish you all well.
  • Like 1

Yea.

Regarding the Para, thing.

Our jump sergeant always said. 

If you  packed it wrong. (we always packed our own)  and it don't open, or folds.

Make like an arrow. and land head (point) first.

A lot better dead than a wheelchair veggie thank you.

Age is fine. as long as it goes with reasonable health and some fitness.

Age and a wheelchair\tv screen\carer.  No Way.

find a bus, or a high cliff.  We've aranged a visit to Holland when time comes.

Euthanasia is legal over there. as long as you sound of mind.

When you done your time. Move over and make room for somebody else I always reckon.

you've had your share.

• Like 2

Oh the confidence of youth. All this talk of "when the time comes, I'll do this" The problem is the few people recognize "when the time comes" or when they do they physically aren't able to put their plan in action.
  • Like 1

Hi.

ask me in 20 yrs.

PS.
The poster above me.
Sign language.

That is taking jumping to a new high.

My grandmother got flying lessons as an 80th birthday present and just died last year aged 100

• Like 1

Oh the confidence of youth. All this talk of "when the time comes, I'll do this" The problem is the few people recognize "when the time comes" or when they do they physically aren't able to put their plan in action.

True.  When my former employer brought in long term care insurance providers to pitch their wares, one pointed this out.

"When the time comes, you won't be doing this.  Someone else will be dealing with the insurance company, making arrangements, and all the other stuff.  Get them onboard now."

True.  When my former employer brought in long term care insurance providers to pitch their wares, one pointed this out.

"When the time comes, you won't be doing this.  Someone else will be dealing with the insurance company, making arrangements, and all the other stuff.  Get them onboard now."

Long term care insurance in Thailand?

Long term care insurance in Thailand?

This was in the US.  However some of the policies provided world wide coverage.  Right now care is so cheap in Thailand, it probably would not be necessary.

At 85 you should not drive a car anymore. Reflexes are gone.
If you live that long in thailand you should know the language by now. 

Yep. At 85 they should just give you a sleepy pill. :(
I have a friend that is 84 and hardly in need of a sleepy pill. I do know several others that are in their 60s that are out of shape, drink too much, have negative outlooks on life and essentially have died in place.

Learning the language is a personal choice. Great if you can and ok if one prefers not to. Choice is a wonderful thing. That's why I choose to live here.

Live and let Live.
  • Like 1

I had a friend came here to drink himself to death.  He had given up on life.  The old gent trotted into his first bar in Nana 10 years ago and fell in love in the first five minutes.  The bar girl saved his life (I think for his pension but no matter) and they are still living happily together.  As long as she keeps him alive the cash keeps rolling in.  

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

PS.

The poster above me.

Sign language.

Frankly, I thought the guy was winding people up but it seems he's actually genuine.

I think retirement's ALREADY unworkable for him

Sorry, not 80 yet but 67.

No problems at all, in fact I enjoy my life more than when I was working.

Nothing urgent, no deadlines, just take life as it comes, and have the time to be critical about every one and everything.

Visa runs don't bother me any more, once every 3 months have to present to the immigration office, and I don't care if I have to carry my passport with me.

There is one little problem though........Before used to perform nearly every day, nowadays it's getting slower and slower........may be once a week and if that!

But can't complain......nobody is satisfied with what we got.

90 day visa runs at age 67? That sounds like an ordeal to me. Why aren't you on a retirement visa?

• Like 1

Nothing urgent, no deadlines, just take life as it comes, and have the time to be critical about every one and everything.

Visa runs don't bother me any more, once every 3 months have to present to the immigration office, and I don't care if I have to carry my passport with me.

There is one little problem though........Before used to perform nearly every day, nowadays it's getting slower and slower........may be once a week and if that!

90 day visa runs at age 67? That sounds like an ordeal to me. Why aren't you on a retirement visa?

He's talking about reporting to immigration every 90 days, border runs are a thing of the past.

He's talking about reporting to immigration every 90 days, border runs are a thing of the past.

I didn't know visa runs were obsolete, because I have been on a retirement visa for past 10+ years. I go to immigration once a year, and report my address by mail every 90 days. Just trying to be helpful.  

• Like 1

I didn't know visa runs were obsolete, because I have been on a retirement visa for past 10+ years. I go to immigration once a year, and report my address by mail every 90 days. Just trying to be helpful.  

I take it you don't read the Thai Visa news bulletins?

I just turned 67.  I had thought about my longterm but not too seriously.  IMO, the immigration demands would be the toughest.  Perhaps it is between my ears, but the constant 90 day report is a real drag.  Though I do mine in Jomtien and during low season I can be in and out within 10-20 minutes.  Then there is the retirement visa hoop every year.  I have to go to my outreach embassy service at the Dusit Hotel to get the financial paper certified by them for immigration.  After that there is the necessary exit permission to visit family once a year or I lose my retirement visa.  By my count that is a minimum of 6 different trips to immigration.  My solace is that I am retired and have the time.  But it is all a drag.  

Other then that, ageism is respected.  My group would say no one would pay attention to us unless we fell off the bar stool Then they would most likely just step over us!  

The standard of living here is much higher even on a reasonable pension.  That and a retirement plan also one can live quite well.  The rest of it depends on your personal health, mental attitude and activity.  

I have a couple of friends who became so bored, one a lawyer and another a financial business owner, they both went into teaching children English at local schools.  I am content with reading and doing projects on my computer.  I go out with friends to restaurants, rarely go to the beaches, and use the swimming pool. 

I am aware of one couple who have had a spring/fall romance.  One is 60 the other in their mid 80's and failing.  The younger is able to do the 90 day  report for the other with consent of immigration.  They know the situation.  But, American Embassy insists they both appear for the financial report.....thus it is a project with wheelchairs etc.  But, the Thai immigration is more lenient.

The icing on the cake is to find a companion to share your time and willing to take care of you if times get tough.  Then it is all golden.   

He's talking about reporting to immigration every 90 days, border runs are a thing of the past.90 day visa runs at age 67? That sounds like an ordeal to me. Why aren't you on a retirement visa?

Sorry, Gentlemen, I'm a little confused here.

2 months ago, I obtained my retirement visa from KK immigration.

Before I was on a multiple entry O visa, and I had to exit Thailand every 3 months.

When, the immigration officer presented me with the visa, told me that I have to present myself every 90 days to the KK immigration office, in fact he gave me a paper specifying the date, I have to be there.

Now you are saying that I can do that by Email?

Please do explain to me how is this done.

Regards

Costas

He's talking about reporting to immigration every 90 days, border runs are a thing of the past.90 day visa runs at age 67? That sounds like an ordeal to me. Why aren't you on a retirement visa?

Sorry, Gentlemen, I'm a little confused here.

2 months ago, I obtained my retirement visa from KK immigration.

Before I was on a multiple entry O visa, and I had to exit Thailand every 3 months.

When, the immigration officer presented me with the visa, told me that I have to present myself every 90 days to the KK immigration office, in fact he gave me a paper specifying the date, I have to be there.

Now you are saying that I can do that by Email?

Please do explain to me how is this done.

Regards

Costas

There was talk of the 90 day reporting being able to be done by email, but AFAIK that still hasn't come into force.

very simple if donnt wannt to go 90days someone else can do for you or go once ayear
and pay 2000 fine and 1900fee

Is it 2000 baht for missing each 90 day report or a one off 2000 baht for the whole year? I find it hard to believe it's only 2000 baht for not reporting all year.

A third party can do your 90 day reports for you -- a friend, spouse, a visa agent, whomever. In many provinces 90 day reports can be done by mail.

As for once-a-year visa extensions -- yes, you do have to show up in person, but a third party can go and present your paperwork and you can sit in the car in the parking lot at the Immigration office and the officer will come out to talk with you there, if you are physically unable to get into the office. In you're very infirm, the immigration officers have been known to make housecalls.

Same for the American consulate/embassy -- they can make housecalls or hospital visits to do income letters. However, you have to be mentally competent enough to swear to the veracity of your income letter. They aren't going to attest to the thumbprint of someone in a coma!

As I said in my earlier post about living here successfully in your eighties -- the immigration hoops can be successfully jumped by someone in their eighties with a little planning and perhaps some training of helpers. Edited by NancyL
  • Like 1

Hello, I have posted this before, but will post again. For you Expats that are worried about medical insurance, Thai Life Insurance, has medical coverage that will cover you till you are 90 years old. They won't cancel you if you get real sick, and they will cover ore existing conditions. This coverage is just for hospital care only. But is very reasonable. Good luck to you all.

Can you PM me  company name---might want tro drop my present coverage if better or have friends coming over in future they might need.

It never becomes 'unworkable'!
BUT
Sort your health out. Check you have the right 'insurance' and find good doctors/dentists! who are familiar with you. We are all probably going to get sick
Sort your finances out. You don't need to be worrying about money, nor your partner, children
Sort your accommodation out. You do not want to be walking up several flights of a Condo
Sort your diet and exercise. Easy
BUT I would say most of all keep great interests in life. Play the Piano, Play with grandchildren, Go Ballooning,
Have a partner with whom you can talk, laugh and have fun every day.
If you give up on life you will die sooner!!
  • Like 1

Hello, I have posted this before, but will post again. For you Expats that are worried about medical insurance, Thai Life Insurance, has medical coverage that will cover you till you are 90 years old. They won't cancel you if you get real sick, and they will cover ore existing conditions. This coverage is just for hospital care only. But is very reasonable. Good luck to you all.

Can you PM me  company name---might want tro drop my present coverage if better or have friends coming over in future they might need.

Can you PM me as well please.

billd766................as you will hear numerous times..............Google is your friend.........................coffee1.gif

Thai Life Insurance Public Company Limited, a life insurance company, develops insurance policies for families in Thailand.

It offers life insurance policies, including household income, future saving, retirement saving, and welfare plans.

The company was founded in 1942 and is based in Bangkok, Thailand.

Phone:66 2 247 0247

66 2 247 0247Fax:66 2 249 9946

66 2 249 9946         www.thailife.com

123 Ratchadapisek Road

Din Daeng

Bangkok,  10400

Thailand

• Like 1

Other than the 90 day reporting and the new visa every 12 months, I don't see too much added hassle. The medical side of things does concern me a little, even though my health is pretty good at 72, I wouldn't want to be hit with huge hospital bills from a private hospital.  A neighbour, just spent a night in Bangkok/Pattaya hospital and they wanted 40,000 baht up front before they would even admit him. I probably wouldn't have much choice but to head back to Australia if I was looking at a lengthy hospital stay.

That is the only thing about getting old here.. its hard to enter the hospital system here unless you worked here for a while you can keep on paying into the system and using it. If you don't insurance will get real expensive at age. Now my insurance is quite affordable but it will go up and up and up.

Statistically speaking hospitals are just about the most dangerous places to be in the United States. Three times as many people die every year due to medical errors in hospitals as die on our highways — 100,000 deaths compared to 34,000. The Journal of the American Medical Association reports that nearly 100,000 people die annually in hospitals from medical errors. Of this group, 80,000 die from hospital acquired infections, many of which can be prevented. Given the above number of admissions that means that 1 out of every 370 people admitted to a hospital dies due to medical errors. So hospitals are very dangerous places.  Hospital customer care is abysmal. Recent studies reveal that the average wait time in American hospital emergency rooms is approximately 4 hours. Name one other business where Americans would tolerate this low level of value and service.

http://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2012/03/onethird-hospitals-close-2020.html

Jail