Prayuth's dilemma: PM or not?

Lite Beer

NATION ANALYSIS
Prayuth's dilemma: PM or not?
The Nation 

30240071-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Some NCPO officials fear Army chief will be under too much pressure if he leads govt; 'calm' Prajin seen as an alternative

General Prayuth Chan-ocha, the top candidate to become Thailand's next prime minister, faces a difficult decision on whether he should concurrently serve as head of both the incoming government and the military junta.

Prayuth will have to weigh carefully his strengths and weaknesses, and brace himself for the massive pressure and headaches that will come with the PM's post if he opts to go ahead.

His colleagues in the ruling National Council for Peace and Order are concerned that he may be unable to handle the pressure well. Air Chief Marshal Prajin Juntong, a deputy of the NCPO and Air Force chief, has emerged as another possible prime minister. Appointing Prajin could take the pressure off Prayuth, a source said.

Whether the NCPO chief will decide to double as the PM will be known this month, after members of the National Legislative Assembly were endorsed by His Majesty the King on Thursday night.

One of urgent tasks of the NLA is to nominate a prime minister for HM the King to endorse. The NLA will convene its first meeting next Thursday, but its first move is to select an NLA president. The prime minister will be selected later this month.

The favoured candidate for the PM's post is still Prayuth, as reports have suggested he does not trust anyone else. The general's subordinates in the NCPO have backed him.

However, a recent internal analysis among members of the NCPO raised concern that if Prayuth takes two posts - head of NCPO and prime minister - at the same time he will face too much more pressure than staying on solely as head of the junta, a source from the NCPO said.

Being prime minister, he would easily face more criticism than being just head of the junta and the Army, the source said, adding that if Prayuth makes a mistake or wrong decision it could affect the NCPO also.

Plus, it is not necessary for Prayuth to take both posts, as the NCPO chief has sweeping "special powers" of his own. Article 44 in the provisional constitution stipulates that if necessary the junta leader, with the "consent of the NCPO", can exercise special powers by issuing an order or stopping any action. This order would be binding for all institutions - legislative, executive or judiciary - and would be considered final and constitutional.

Prajin, who is the junta's head of economic affairs, could be an appropriate choice as PM because the Air Force chief is calm and deliberate, observers say. He is also knowledgeable on economic affairs.

However, others think Prayuth should take the PM's post to avoid "wasting" the power seizure, which is how some view the results of the interim government set up after the military takeover in 2006, as well as earlier coups.

It was not clear if there was any link between the top general's decision and his move yesterday to downsize the NCPO after the interim government is appointed.

Prayuth asked NCPO members yesterday to explain to the public that the council is not a government but that the two bodies will work in parallel, the deputy Army chief and junta secretary General Udomdej Sitabutr said after a meeting to discuss the NCPO's routine work.

"The NCPO will later downsize to fit the operation to the interim government, which is expected to be appointed in September," he said.

Other NCPO members and retired military officers are also tipped to become cabinet members.

NCPO deputy chief and Supreme Commander General Thanasak Patimaprakorn is tipped to become defence minister and deputy PM overseeing security affairs. However, if Prajin is not appointed as prime minister, he is also a candidate for the top defence job.

Retired deputy army chief General Dapong Ratanasuwan, a close friend of Prayuth, is a favoured candidate to be the next interior minister.

NCPO deputy leader and Navy chief Admiral Narong Pipatanasai is likely to become education minister and a deputy prime minister.

NCPO deputy and assistant Army chief Lt-General Paiboon Kumchaya, who is in charge of justice and legal work, is tipped to become justice minister.

General Chatchai Sarikanlaya, the NCPO deputy chief for economic affairs, is tipped to become an economic minister in an agriculture or commerce portfolio.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Prayuths-dilemma-PM-or-not-30240071.html

[thenation]2014-08-02[/thenation]

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

These Thais are tipping for this, nodding for that and favoring for these. While the report says that he doesn't "trust" anyone and his colleagues have concern about is ability to handle pressure, he remains the favorite to be the self designated PM. He is weighing and calculating his personal advantages and disadvantages. He may take it or throw one of his chiefs under the bus.

Our esteems general must be thinking that what's good for A Sisi of Egypt must be good for him,

he has to bare in mind though that taking on the premiership is a slippery  slop that can either make

him a hero or ends up the villain, better be a good general than a bad prime minter, you don't have

to be a PM to do good for the people, you have all the powers in your hands anyway..

I think that running the army in peace time would qualify him (Prayuth) for the job.   Not having dealt with the trials and tribulations of a war time army doesn't matter as the government is an organisation dealing more with administration anyway.

Think he should stay as chief of the NCPO and appoint a PM. Then he would have the opportunity to observe and mould the interim positions and structures leading into elections. Should also be someone outside of the military and past politicial parties.
  • Like 2

If General Prayuth appoints a PM, he will be seen, at minimum, as co-PM and at worst as 'puppet master'; similar to Thaksin/Yingluck. Since he will be condemned, no matter which he decides, my advice to him, if he were to ask, would be to cut out the middle-man and take the post himself. He has been directing everything so far, and not doing a bad job, so why not continue as both head of NCPO and PM. It will certainly be more efficient.

If General Prayuth appoints a PM, he will be seen, at minimum, as co-PM and at worst as 'puppet master'; similar to Thaksin/Yingluck. Since he will be condemned, no matter which he decides, my advice to him, if he were to ask, would be to cut out the middle-man and take the post himself. He has been directing everything so far, and not doing a bad job, so why not continue as both head of NCPO and PM. It will certainly be more efficient.

Head of everything?

In my opinion the General is not interested about becoming PM or holding any Government post in the future.

He is a patriot, he loves his country, and his aim is to uproot the rotten plants that litter Thailand after so many years of corrupt politics.

His aim is to find the right people, that can govern in honesty and competence and hand over the power to them, through elections and reestablishment of democracy.

The man is not hungry for money or power, but he wants to help his people.

I find articles like that are meant to undermine his good intentions.

So it's not about the fact that if Prayuth holds both posts and still remains Commander in Chief of the Army, he will be seen as holding back the progression of another general either from the Eastern Tigers or other factions within the army, causing a schism? Bearing in mind these two factors, "compulsory" retirement from the Army approaching on 30th September and the fact that the Head of the NCPO is the most powerful political position under the present constitution, I doubt that the fate of the "people" is in pole position of his thoughts at the moment.

• Like 1

Head of everything?

Isn't he head of everything now? As long as he has the backing of HM, he is inviolate and omnipotent. Even if he appoints a nominee nominal PM, he, as head of the NCPO, will have veto power over any body, elected or appointed. No one will believe that any appointee will have independence from General Prayuth any more than people believed Yingluck was independent of her brother, Thaksin. The only way he would not be perceived as 'ringmaster' is if he resigned and joined Suthep as a monk.

• Like 1

The people who live all around me are red's through and through but they all love this man because they realise he has the country at heart, unlike their so called 'leaders' who bully the local populace into doing their bidding for their own personal gain.

If the population had a chance to vote for him i think he would have a landslide victory.

• Like 1

It comes down to what the people want.

• In 2007 through a referendum it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority the constitution was wanted. That majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In 2013 in was overwhelmingly decided by the majority the amnesty was not wanted. The majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In February through the ballot box it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority that the PTP were not wanted. That majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In May it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority the PTP were not wanted. That majority were ignored by a minority.
  • In June it was overwhelmingly decided by the majority that they wanted General Preyuth as PM.

Just as General Themistocles was a savior of democracy in ancient Greece, General Preyuth is the Savior of Democracy in modern Thailand.

Don't ignore this majority General. Listen to the voice of the people that others refused to listen to. Take the job and be written about favorably in the history books as Themistocles was.

Head of everything?

Isn't he head of everything now? As long as he has the backing of HM, he is inviolate and omnipotent. Even if he appoints a nominee nominal PM, he, as head of the NCPO, will have veto power over any body, elected or appointed. No one will believe that any appointee will have independence from General Prayuth any more than people believed Yingluck was independent of her brother, Thaksin. The only way he would not be perceived as 'ringmaster' is if he resigned and joined Suthep as a monk.

Lots of statues and a new religion on the horizon perhaps?

Edited by Thailand

Head of everything?

Lots of statues and a new religion on the horizon perhaps?

Nah, I think he genuinely believes he is finishing the job Sonthi failed to finish in 2006. In the land of 21 named smiles, I see his smile as sincere and modest. I think that, if he lives long enough, he will attain the status that 'Pa' Prem holds today. There are no statues or religions to Prem that I know of. Some people are altruistic and loyal to their king and country because that is their nature. General Sonthi by his later actions of joining with PTP shows me he succumbed to being bought off before he could rid Thailand of the Shinawatra machine. Why else would the man overthrow Thaksin and then join and be accepted as an ally of Thaksin's puppet proxy party.

I have been right before and I have been wrong before. Only time will tell us what General Prayuth is made of. For the present, I remain optimistic as many indicators for the economy and welfare of the citizenry are positive. If I am wrong, I can always turn pessimistic.

Nah, I think he genuinely believes he is finishing the job Sonthi failed to finish in 2006. In the land of 21 named smiles, I see his smile as sincere and modest. I think that, if he lives long enough, he will attain the status that 'Pa' Prem holds today. There are no statues or religions to Prem that I know of. Some people are altruistic and loyal to their king and country because that is their nature. General Sonthi by his later actions of joining with PTP shows me he succumbed to being bought off before he could rid Thailand of the Shinawatra machine. Why else would the man overthrow Thaksin and then join and be accepted as an ally of Thaksin's puppet proxy party.

I have been right before and I have been wrong before. Only time will tell us what General Prayuth is made of. For the present, I remain optimistic as many indicators for the economy and welfare of the citizenry are positive. If I am wrong, I can always turn pessimistic.

An optimistic pessimist, like it!

• Like 1

An optimistic pessimist, like it!

Never at the same time. That would be schizophrenia. [attachment=277599:goofy green square.gif]

Hardly a problem.

He has given himself absolute power so no matter what post he gives himself he still has the final say.

Exactly, which is why I would make Yingluck PM and drop all cases against her.

Checkmate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hardly a problem.

He has given himself absolute power so no matter what post he gives himself he still has the final say.

Exactly, which is why I would make Yingluck PM and drop all cases against her.

Checkmate.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

"against her" or on her ??