Pets in gated communities?

We are looking at renting a detached house in a gated community in a suburb such as bang na, and I am wondering whether you can have a pet such as a dog?? Do some allow pets and some don't? Anyone have any experience with this? Looking at houses for rent online there no mention of whether or not pets are allowed.

any information appreciated.

Most communities, even gated allow pets. It might depends on the landlord if they allow animals in the house or not. Best way to find out is ask. But I have not seen one village or housing villa compound where it was not allowed.
  • Like 1

Up to the landlord I would say, it should probably be written into any rental contract. I rent out one house but do not allow pets. My wife says one animal in the house is enough.....don't know what she means.blink.png

• Like 2

Within the gated community I expect there are no rules against having dogs...I live in a gated community in western Bangkok and there are dogs everywhere in community.  I own my home.

Now as a renter and whether the landlord will allow you to have a dog in the house that's a different story, but I expect the landlord will.  Usually carpets are what dogs mess up...and I haven't been in a Thai home yet that has carpet, instead, they have tile or wooden floors which are impossible or hard to damage by a dog.  Plus I expect there will be a security deposit involved to cover any possible damage by a dog during your stay.

Edited by Pib

I had the same concern when we moved to Thailand and bought our home in a gated community...we brought our three dogs with us.  Turns out dogs were everywhere in the community...and I don't mean just stray soi dogs...I mean dogs people owned and took care of but routinely let out of their yards to go roam a while, take a crap, etc.  We now have four dogs. 

I can recommend Moo Baan Narasiri near to the crossing of the Pattanakarn Srinakarindra Road. We have two dogs and the compound is pet friendly and you can walk them round without issue. There are also a number of houses to rent there

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Seems much more likely landlords will allow pets in Thailand, as opposed to Australia, where it is difficult to find a landlord who will allow pets.

Thanks for the answers.

Its more a, dont ask dont tell situation.

I know landlords who will insist, no pets, no children and no cooking in the house.

As already mentioned in  many replies, it's fairly common to see dogs in gated villages in Thailand.

I'm aware of one village which has specific rules about what pets / animals are allowed and they do enforce the rules:

- One pet / animal per yard.

- The types of animals allowed is listed (I don't know the full list but I understand it's a fairly small list).

- Dogs and similar shaped animals: There is a maximum height allowed and maximum weight allowed. Don't know the exact numbers but I

understand this means a medium sized dog and if I remember correctly not more than 8 kgs.

Edited by scorecard

I retired to Thailand for peace and quiet.  I moved into a dream house in a gated community in a quiet fishing village.  The estate was a new build.  Gradually the dogs moved in. I live on what is known as Dog Corner next to Soi Dog.  My dream has been shattered.  There are 4 dogs within thirty metres of my house.  I am not talking Thai dog owners: though 2 farang dog owners have Thai wives.

The estate is well-run with strict rules about dogs let out without leads.  However the neurotic hysterical yapping of these dogs has ruined the quality of my life.  They go off at all hours of the day or night, each trying to outdo the other in volume.  Dog owners seem deaf to this noise.  I am sure if I bought a look-at-me motorbike with a roaring engine & started it up every time their dog went off they would not like it.

It is so bad I am having thoughts about a permanent solution!

• Like 2

Thanks Henrico. We will check it out.

Having some sort of regulation sounds like the best scenario. Listening to dogs yapping all night would drive me insane also!

What sort of "permanent solution" are you thinking about mikebell?? That sounds like a drastic measure! Should the neighbourhood dogs be nervous??

I have a townhouse in a gated community in Bang Bua Throng and they allow pets.  At times it's almost like living in an animal shelter but I like animals and do not live there.  I just wish that some one would bring in their herd of goats as pets so that they could eat the grass and weeds around the lake that is never cut.

Dogs are all pets at Narasiri no issues there all very peaceful. The odd yap but then dogs are dogs. Also gardens are enclosed so dogs can't get out. Got to keep a look out for snakes though

Yea, dogs bark and howl sometimes...it's called living.  I sure wish something could be done about the noises humans make in driving their vehicles up and down the sois, boats going by in the nearby canal, planes flying over, kids playing, A/Cs running, TVs/stereos playing, etc.  I'm thinking of a permanent solution...shooting myself.

Yea, dogs bark and howl sometimes...it's called living.  I sure wish something could be done about the noises humans make in driving their vehicles up and down the sois, boats going by in the nearby canal, planes flying over, kids playing, A/Cs running, TVs/stereos playing, etc.  I'm thinking of a permanent solution...shooting myself.

It's actually called barking and howling, and properly trained dogs will not do it constantly.  All the other things you mentioned are normal living noises that should be expected.  You can't stop cars being driven on the road or planes flying overhead, kids playing, airconditioners running etc., noisy dogs can be silenced and should be if they constitue a real nuisance.

Thanks Henrico. We will check it out.

Having some sort of regulation sounds like the best scenario. Listening to dogs yapping all night would drive me insane also!

What sort of "permanent solution" are you thinking about mikebell?? That sounds like a drastic measure! Should the neighbourhood dogs be nervous??

I plead the 5th Amendment re permanent solution.

I knew I would stir some reaction when I posted.  I knew there would be a respondent who seeks to equate human noise with that of dogs.  It's a dog's life in a man's world.  Dogs serve; they do useful work herding sheep/sniffing out drugs/etc.  I am talking about the pampered pooch whose only purpose in life is to consume animal protein to produce crap.  (If it can deposit it on the beach/sois my case is proved.)

If a cat (a truly independent-minded creature) can be trained to use a litter tray, a dog can be discouraged from barking.  It's down to the owner's attitude to his fellow man/neighbours.

A sharp cuff/cup of water/electric shock - anything to discourage this anti-social behaviour could/should have been applied when young.  (I am talking about the dogs here though it would work equally on owners unless they were slow learners; thinking about it, owning a dog seems to be the definition of impaired faculties.)

If you are proposing the use of a zap collar then you are not a true dog lover these are cruel instruments. Most often it is not the dog but the owner that requires training.

• Like 1

I retired to Thailand for peace and quiet.  I moved into a dream house in a gated community in a quiet fishing village.  The estate was a new build.  Gradually the dogs moved in. I live on what is known as Dog Corner next to Soi Dog.  My dream has been shattered.  There are 4 dogs within thirty metres of my house.  I am not talking Thai dog owners: though 2 farang dog owners have Thai wives.

The estate is well-run with strict rules about dogs let out without leads.  However the neurotic hysterical yapping of these dogs has ruined the quality of my life.  They go off at all hours of the day or night, each trying to outdo the other in volume.  Dog owners seem deaf to this noise.  I am sure if I bought a look-at-me motorbike with a roaring engine & started it up every time their dog went off they would not like it.

It is so bad I am having thoughts about a permanent solution!

There are only two options (we are in the same position) move, or poison the dogs. Talking to the owners is unlikely to work the attitude is always, well dogs bark/he's a 'guard' dog/other dogs are worse. We phoned the owner of the house next door at work once and held the phone out so she could hear her 2 dogs barking like crazy, now she does not speak to us and even got another dog. Thais go on about 'grengjai' but it's meaningless in practice they are mostly inconsiderate and selfish. Electronic zappers do not work with all dogs, some it makes them bark more, I bought two of those, and any ear plug is only a partial solution. No ultra sonics are not 'cruel' and it's NOT the owners who bark, so I tend to blame the dogs! We have the added problem of soi dogs that roam the estate, they have no owners to 'blame'.

The suggestion that the dogs need to be trained not to bark is just laughable, we are talking about Thailand where people are not even trained how to drive properly!

Edited by jacky54