Do you ever feel people treat you stupid because you're a f-rang?

squarethecircle

In nearly 7 years here I have never really had the feeling you are talking about. The only time I feel I am being treated like an idiot is in car parks when the some moron with a whistle insists on helping me back into a parking space - just <deleted> off out the way, stop distracting me and let me park the damn thing! 

This has nothing to do with being a foreigner. It's what they've been told to do and they hassle Thais just as much. But like you, I find it a screaming nuisance. It's one of the few things that's very difficult to ignore because they're in your face and relentless. Still, I do get a chuckle when the back wheels hit the arrester bar, the car stops, then the security guard gives an extra huge loud blast on his whistle to tell you that you have stopped. There, job done, on to the next lucky motorist. clap2.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to be perceived by the Thais as the dumb farang.

We get to hear of all the scandal and gossip that goes on in our local community, who is dealing and doing drugs, who is having an affair with who, who has been arrested lately, who has just married and who has got divorced, who is working and doing well and those who are not and so on.

The locals believe that I do not understand anything that is going on around me, even though I can speak reasonable Thai and this suits me fine. Although I do join in with all the local events and reasonably close with my neighbors, I still like to keep my head down and see nothing, hear nothing and say nothing about anyone and give the semblance that I understand nothing. This way I never become involved and sort of only there in the background according to the Thais, and I get to live a trouble-less and stress free lifestyle in Thailand without ever getting involved in other people`s personal affairs and arguments.

To me being considered as the no nothing farang is a huge advantage and the more I am left out of it and never considered a threat to anyone, the more I like it.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

but thesee things seem to happen over and over

only to a select few people

how do you know it does happen only to "select few people"???whistling.gif

Oh let me guess, because it never happened to you  and you know every foreigner here, and you have a crystal balls and thumbsup.gif

because it's the same few whiners that keep broaching the subject here

Oh let me guess, because it never happened to you  and you know every foreigner here, and you have a crystal balls and thumbsup.gif

if they are always the  " same few", so why you bother to reply to these "same few"???

Oh let me guess, because you like love to whine about whinerscheesy.gif

ps: serioulsly AYJADEE, get a life.

And if you want i reply/read your next whine, now you will have to pay melaugh.png  I accept bank transfer and paypalwhistling.gif

• Like 1

if they are always the  " same few", so why you bother to reply to these "same few"???

Oh let me guess, because you like love to whine about whinerscheesy.gif

ps: serioulsly AYJADEE, get a life.

And if you want i reply/read your next whine, now you will have to pay melaugh.png  I accept bank transfer and paypalwhistling.gif

lol! as he keeps replying to whine about my whining!! lol

If the OP knew what his neighbours were talking about ("and the content was obvious.") why didn't he join in the conversation rather than standing around for 5 minutes saying nothing?

Well what I heard was a bunch of "gao bai khon diaw" (he's going alone) and a bunch of "bai sawng" (go 2) and I think "bai gop phom" (go with me) and something about "katoey" (my friends are ladyboys) and "motorcyc" (motorcycles) and "gamlang gai" (exercise) but it didn't seem like there was much content in the Thai I couldn't understand, just 5 minutes of going back-and-forth like this. I didn't join in because I'm a bit "kee aii" (shy) and prefer to listen plus didn't have anything to add, just "ow bai gamlang gai" and in the end I ended up "deern"ing, yes I walked home feeling a bit stupider at what I had just heard.

Edited by squarethecircle

I like how they talk about farang driving like idiots, because we tend to obey the rules.

Really ?

Tell me, have you ever actually been to Thailand, nearly all the farangs I know drink and drive on a regular basis, and often brag about the speed they do in their powerful pick ups and SUV's.

So when you say Farangs tend to obey the Law, you are talking B.ollox.

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

I like how they talk about farang driving like idiots, because we tend to obey the rules.

Really ?

Tell me, have you ever actually been to Thailand, nearly all the farangs I know drink and drive on a regular basis, and often brag about the speed they do in their powerful pick ups and SUV's.

He was perhaps too ashamed to write that he in fact truly adapted to this part of the thai way of living. Not obeying the laws. Please forgive him.

Really ?

you should get out more.. surely you could have inserted porche, ferrari etc to add more weight to your post. 

• Like 1

Another topic aimed at slagging off Thailand and Thai people..

Nope I'm polite enough not to b**** around Thai friends and so it's normal to do so around other expats, I've actually heard a similar complaint from a Thai-American friend who lives here. But good to keep complaints balanced, I wouldn't want to become the expat who just whines about his chosen country all the time; note also that at the same time I started a thread about the Thai person you respect the most, perhaps you can offer your opinion there.

Nope I'm polite enough not to b**** around Thai friends and so it's normal to do so around other expats, I've actually heard a similar complaint from a Thai-American friend who lives here. But good to keep complaints balanced, I wouldn't want to become the expat who just whines about his chosen country all the time; note also that at the same time I started a thread about the Thai person you respect the most, perhaps you can offer your opinion there.

Many expats find the constant bitching about thais irritating and tiresome and alternating with asking who is respected makes it no less so.

What the are you on about pal ?

Don't post when drunk, ok !!!  laugh.png

Edited by Banzai99
  • Like 1

"Many expats find the constant bitching about thais irritating and tiresome and alternating with asking who is respected makes it no less so."

OK well my fault for making it about this then. I found the same in some areas in China, not in a couple of more educated parts on the east coast however. Never been a foreigner in my country but very much doubt you would be considered stupid or ripe for a rip-off. So do you think it actually does not happen widely, or is it just a misinterpretation, or do you think we should just keep our mouths shut and not discuss it on here period? Seems like pointing it out in person would be stupid as this is likely to lead to "loss of face".

"Many expats find the constant bitching about thais irritating and tiresome and alternating with asking who is respected makes it no less so."

OK well my fault for making it about this then. I found the same in some areas in China, not in a couple of more educated parts on the east coast however. Never been a foreigner in my country but very much doubt you would be considered stupid or ripe for a rip-off. So do you think it actually does not happen widely, or is it just a misinterpretation, or do you think we should just keep our mouths shut and not discuss it on here period? Seems like pointing it out in person would be stupid as this is likely to lead to "loss of face".

you doubt minorities who have trouble speaking the language and came to your country and threw money around, talked to loudly, appeared in public dressed like slobs and were intoxicated and rude would be discriminated against and considered ripe for a rip off? lol. thats a good one!!

• Like 1

you doubt minorities who have trouble speaking the language and came to your country and threw money around, talked to loudly, appeared in public dressed like slobs and were intoxicated and rude would be discriminated against and considered ripe for a rip off? lol. thats a good one!!

Because of the people you describe upstanding citizens like yourself are considered ripe for a rip off and be discriminated against too. Thats maybe the issue.
  • Like 1

Some Thais do great you as if you are stupid just because you are a farang - and some don't. But then some farang are stupid and some aren't. Also you may find some Thais think what farang consider reasonable behaviour is stupid - like letting someone in when in traffic.

Also you may find that Thais believe foreigners have zero understanding of anything Thai which is why frequently Thai police reports are complete fabrications of fantasy to the facts you give them - all intended NOT to help you. Unfortunately assisted by the translators they use to assist you. Take your own and they will be accused of helping foreigners. It happens with lawyers too! A great system is it not?

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Because of the people you describe upstanding citizens like yourself are considered ripe for a rip off and be discriminated against too. Thats maybe the issue.

no thai has bothered to rip me off . perhaps because , unlike those who spend so much time setting up hypothetical situations to encourage thai bashing, I treat them with respect.

If the OP knew what his neighbours were talking about ("and the content was obvious.") why didn't he join in the conversation rather than standing around for 5 minutes saying nothing?

Well what I heard was a bunch of "gao bai khon diaw" (he's going alone) and a bunch of "bai sawng" (go 2) and I think "bai gop phom" (go with me) and something about "katoey" (my friends are ladyboys) and "motorcyc" (motorcycles) and "gamlang gai" (exercise) but it didn't seem like there was much content in the Thai I couldn't understand, just 5 minutes of going back-and-forth like this. I didn't join in because I'm a bit "kee aii" (shy) and prefer to listen plus didn't have anything to add, just "ow bai gamlang gai" and in the end I ended up "deern"ing, yes I walked home feeling a bit stupider at what I had just heard.

Oh... they were ladyboys. That changes the whole scenario. If you had mentioned that in the OP, then there wouldn't have been half the posts. It's not the... f-rang that's dumb here, it's the ladyboys in their normal, perpetually confused state that were dumb. I mean they don't know what gender they are for starters so how on earth can they hope to mind-read any of TV's... f-rang mental giants?

Back on the straight and narrow here, the only time I feel that I may be regarded as dumb by a local is when I am standing behind the dopey f-rang who (still) doesn't know how to do a SIM card top-up and consequently has the only working cashier tied up changing the language, inputting the PIN, showing the balance, taking the cash for another 100 baht top up, entering the pin, showing the balance..... etc., etc.. Once they shuffle out of the way with their mightily deep wais and loud and painfully grating "kob koon kraps" the cashier looks up at me, rolls her eyes and then squints as if asking, "I wonder what THIS dumb f-rang wants."

Funny comment, made me laugh...but my guess is that you will hand over a 1.000 bth note for a 40 bth purchase ! Edited by benalibina

The other day a waiter tried to add 100 baht to a 200 baht check. I said this is impossible and they still insisted like I was a trouble maker. Still pushed (bring the manager!) and then it was ... so sorry, it was a mistake. Instead of accepting that BS I said to her (and it was true) you look too SMART to not know how to add two items (BTW in an empty restaurant). Gotcha!

Don't eat in tourist restaurants.

"Do you ever feel people treat you stupid (or treat you like you're dumber than them) because you're a f-rang?"

Yes.

I suspect there are many reasons for this, some of which are:

- I have been know to do stupid things. (There I admitted it)!

- When I speak Thai I do make many stupid mistakes. Usually these misfits involve getting a tone wrong. Using the wrong tone changes the entire meaning of what I'm trying to say into something that is, well.... really very stupid.

- I can't read Thai. In their eyes if I can't read it indicates that I'm stupid.

- Many foreigners when visiting Thailand for the first time and when faced with Thai culture shock really haven't got a clue. Therefore they are perceived as being stupid.

-Many foreigners are easily overcharged. Many waste money paying many tens of times more for goods and services than necessary. This is perceived as stupidity.

-It is an indisputable fact that there are many foreigners who behave stupidly when visiting Thailand. Therefore by generalization we are collectively lumped together as being stupid. The reverse is also common; ask a few bitter foreigners and you'll know what I mean.

"Example: last night some neighbors spent about five minutes going back and forth talking about how much they wanted to give me a ride home on their motorcycle, and the content was obvious."

It has been my experience that more often than not this is genuine concern for "taking care" of the foreigner, and nothing more. I've often participated in these conversations with Thai people when a foreigner has obviously had too much to drink. Also, sometimes at night, there are bandits about. I'ts genuine concern.

In order to survive living in Thailand, and in order to keep sane, I have to constantly maintain "The glass is half full" view. This doesn't make me delusional. There are plenty of downright nasty Thai people. Nasty people exist in every country across all races and cultures. The ability to deal with nasty people is an important life skill, so is the ability to be not overly sensitive.

Edited by 96tehtarp

"Do you ever feel people treat you stupid because you're a f-rang?"

Maybe they treat you as stupid-----even though you are a f-rang....................coffee1.gif

Edited by sanuk711
  • Like 2

I have had certain kinds of manipulation from Thai people - most occurrences of which I just shrug off ... except when the manipulation is a bit too much to ignore... This cannot ignore situation happened only in the past few days in a luxury resort I am staying in ... (only because of low cost due to it being low tourist season).   I was staying with a buddy for two months in a nice two bedroom - we split the rent and it was a bargain for both of us... In the last few days my buddy went to Bkk to stay with some friends - house sit a condo for a month - and cat sit.

So - I needed to rent a one bedroom... I should have known from the initial experience that there would be a 'bait and switch' on the unit offered for my change over... as we had encountered a bait and switch two months before upon initially renting the two bedroom unit.  We were given a 'show' of what turned out to be their showroom unit ... large - a breakfast bar, and more... Then the next day when we came to sign and pay ... the show unit was rented all of a sudden... We were ushered into a nice two bedroom - somewhat smaller - no breakfast bar and a few other amenities not there ... But it was acceptable - but not the show piece - so we paid and stayed.

Yesterday - I packed up and began my short move... I went to the unit I thought had been in discussion - nice one bedroom, walled divider between the front sitting room and bedroom area - many windows - light and airy by the pool ... But found it pad locked... I looked up and maid looked confused - pointing to an inferior room - few windows, no divider between the bedroom area and the sitting room ... fewer pieces of furniture, and not by the pool, etc.  --- bathroom and kitchenette about the same... but not quite...

I took great umbrage to this and told the maid to bring the acting manager... She came and insisted that the one they had prepped for me was what I had chose... I asked her what was 'I don't like - I don't want... phom mai chob ... phom mai ow ... did she not understand in both languages the day before?  She kept insisting - I said - stop talking - in English and in Thai .. and refused to even look at her any more... she finally left.   I went to the undesirable room and took a few of my things another maid had taken there and brought them back to the porch of the unit I was leaving and I sat there and refused to leave.. I had cleared the two bedroom... So I took the keys to the two bedroom and the keys to the undesirable room and marched off to the main office across the way to another compound and handed them to the real manager who had returned to work much to my relief... But she kept up the same routine - so I marched off back to sit on the porch with my baggage ... Finally she came and ask what could be done ... I said again - I refuse to take the undesirable room and had said so from the outset... and that I wanted a room - bungalow - by the pool and with a wall divider between the bedroom area and the sitting area as I had said from the outset.  I said I would wait for the owner - the big boss..  She left after I refused to talk anymore... She came back and said I could have the unit next door to where I had been staying for 1000 Baht more than the undesirable room - but it happens it was 2000 less than the original bait and switch model... So I moved... and I made her do a complete inventory of all items in the unit - down to the knifes and forks - to avoid any other opportunity for another manipulation... Some times I just get in that mood... Which brings up a manipulation story done by Bangkok air ... which was a real zinger -- but I will wait for another time for that story... 

why do these horror stories always happen to the same few people?

Ayjaydee... you don't like me from my political and imm policy posts - so please refrain from trying to color me as some weird dude .. I said - I shrug off most thing that happen in Thailand - (to further explain) because they are fairly common misunderstandings - not big deal.   So far in Thailand for seven months I have had only two incidents worthy of mention as being more than just a common misunderstanding - requiring me to stand up for what is right - regardless of so called cultural differences...  Please run off somewhere else Ayjaydee and try to misconstrue the actions of someone else - your miscoloring pen is out of inkv... And if have been in Thailand for even less than one year and have not had some odd things - then you are perhaps a saint or either lying or you live in a cave... 

I have had certain kinds of manipulation from Thai people - most occurrences of which I just shrug off ... except when the manipulation is a bit too much to ignore... This cannot ignore situation happened only in the past few days in a luxury resort I am staying in ... (only because of low cost due to it being low tourist season).   I was staying with a buddy for two months in a nice two bedroom - we split the rent and it was a bargain for both of us... In the last few days my buddy went to Bkk to stay with some friends - house sit a condo for a month - and cat sit.

So - I needed to rent a one bedroom... I should have known from the initial experience that there would be a 'bait and switch' on the unit offered for my change over... as we had encountered a bait and switch two months before upon initially renting the two bedroom unit.  We were given a 'show' of what turned out to be their showroom unit ... large - a breakfast bar, and more... Then the next day when we came to sign and pay ... the show unit was rented all of a sudden... We were ushered into a nice two bedroom - somewhat smaller - no breakfast bar and a few other amenities not there ... But it was acceptable - but not the show piece - so we paid and stayed.

Yesterday - I packed up and began my short move... I went to the unit I thought had been in discussion - nice one bedroom, walled divider between the front sitting room and bedroom area - many windows - light and airy by the pool ... But found it pad locked... I looked up and maid looked confused - pointing to an inferior room - few windows, no divider between the bedroom area and the sitting room ... fewer pieces of furniture, and not by the pool, etc.  --- bathroom and kitchenette about the same... but not quite...

I took great umbrage to this and told the maid to bring the acting manager... She came and insisted that the one they had prepped for me was what I had chose... I asked her what was 'I don't like - I don't want... phom mai chob ... phom mai ow ... did she not understand in both languages the day before?  She kept insisting - I said - stop talking - in English and in Thai .. and refused to even look at her any more... she finally left.   I went to the undesirable room and took a few of my things another maid had taken there and brought them back to the porch of the unit I was leaving and I sat there and refused to leave.. I had cleared the two bedroom... So I took the keys to the two bedroom and the keys to the undesirable room and marched off to the main office across the way to another compound and handed them to the real manager who had returned to work much to my relief... But she kept up the same routine - so I marched off back to sit on the porch with my baggage ... Finally she came and ask what could be done ... I said again - I refuse to take the undesirable room and had said so from the outset... and that I wanted a room - bungalow - by the pool and with a wall divider between the bedroom area and the sitting area as I had said from the outset.  I said I would wait for the owner - the big boss..  She left after I refused to talk anymore... She came back and said I could have the unit next door to where I had been staying for 1000 Baht more than the undesirable room - but it happens it was 2000 less than the original bait and switch model... So I moved... and I made her do a complete inventory of all items in the unit - down to the knifes and forks - to avoid any other opportunity for another manipulation... Some times I just get in that mood... Which brings up a manipulation story done by Bangkok air ... which was a real zinger -- but I will wait for another time for that story... 

why do these horror stories always happen to the same few people?

Ayjaydee... you don't like me from my political and imm policy posts - so please refrain from trying to color me as some weird dude .. I said - I shrug off most thing that happen in Thailand - (to further explain) because they are fairly common misunderstandings - not big deal.   So far in Thailand for seven months I have had only two incidents worthy of mention as being more than just a common misunderstanding - requiring me to stand up for what is right - regardless of so called cultural differences...  Please run off somewhere else Ayjaydee and try to misconstrue the actions of someone else - your miscoloring pen is out of inkv... And if have been in Thailand for even less than one year and have not had some odd things - then you are perhaps a saint or either lying or you live in a cave... 

odd  things happen everywhere in the world due to humans being what they are. But the same few people insist on tarring cultures and/or nations with the sins of the few. I find that interesting. and no, I wont be going anywhere.