US Lawyer moving to Thailand

Hello! I am in my late 20s and have been working at a large law firm doing insurance defense litigation for the past three years. I am planning on moving to Thailand within the next few months.

I am wondering what kind of job opportunities would be available to a former US lawyer, basically will this potentially help me find a jobs? Is it valued at all in Thailand?

I would like to not go the route of teaching English like so many other expats, so just trying to explore my options. Any help would be much appreciated.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy. Find all the "international" law firms in Thailand. Send them all a resume. I know at least 3 "expats' working for law firms in Thailand. One training, one proof reading, one teaching law.

Is he going to be happy earning 35-40,000 a month a Non-lawyer in some law office?

as far as I know, practicing law is prohibited for foreigners, a profession reserved for

"honest" local lawyers only...

You'd be a quick hire as an English teacher lol.

Maybe better money than you'll be making after your unemployment checks run out.

in the sense that I'd be over-qualified? So would it be fairly easy to find a job teaching English?

Easy. Find all the "international" law firms in Thailand. Send them all a resume. I know at least 3 "expats' working for law firms in Thailand. One training, one proof reading, one teaching law.

Is he going to be happy earning 35-40,000 a month a Non-lawyer in some law office?
as far as I know, practicing law is prohibited for foreigners, a profession reserved for
I understood actually practicing law as a foreigner was prohibited as well. But, I have looked at some Thai law firm websites and seen some Western/non-Thai attorneys, so I'm a bit confused.

I'm not necessarily set on practicing law (although it'd be nice), but was just hoping that bachelors+law degree+3 years of professional work experience could help me with a better job than teaching, which I'm also not totally opposed to. Just need some sort of income. But just inquiring.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe better money than you'll be making after your unemployment checks run out.

in the sense that I'd be over-qualified? So would it be fairly easy to find a job teaching English?

I believe only education degrees make you eligible for a teacher license. If no ed degree you must complete Thai Masters of Ed to be legal. Big issues with teaching at the moment re: licences, visas and work permits. Although you may be 'overqualified' I doubt you will find just getting a job as a teacher, legally, will be as easy as you imagine.

Edited by mikebike

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I believe only education degrees make you eligible for a teacher license. If no ed degree you must complete Thai Masters of Ed to be legal. Big issues with teaching at the moment re: licences, visas and work permits. Although you may be 'overqualified' I doubt you will find just getting a job as a teacher, legally, will be as easy as you imagine.
I didnt mean to come off as pompous re: getting a job easily. If I decide to go the teacher route, I fully intend on getting certified by an accredited course, ideally by a program with job placement. I would hope if I do well in such a program I could find a low-paying job.

I have a philosophy degree and law degree, fwiw
  • Like 1

whistling.gif Yes you could, but it depends on your exact qualifications and experience.

Will take some "selling" yourself though to find a good slot you can fit into.

If you have experience in, or are willing to learn quickly (including maybe going trough a training/probationary period) in such things as U.S. tax law as applied to U.S. expats living in Thailand, I could  see where you would be very valuable to an international firm with U.S. corporate clients.

But you may you (probably will) have to get into such a situation where a international law firm couldn't afford to not hire you.

That probably means to learn what you need to know to become to valuable for them to not have you on their staff.

Even if you have to start as a trainee at a crap salary at first.

So can you do that?

• Like 1

No, you cannot practice law - but you can be the "face" of a firm for farangs... Legal assistant might be a better option for you than teaching...

Is there any difference b/w a legal assistant and paralegal/secretary? Or is the Thai legal assistant held in higher regard?

Like I said, not totally committed to a law job, while itd be a nice transition. Really open to anything.

You are seriously considering imposing yourself on the locals here as a teacher with absolutely no experience or qualifications except those of a (presumably) failed, barely experienced, lawyer?

You are seriously considering imposing yourself on the locals here as a teacher with absolutely no experience or qualifications except those of a (presumably) failed, barely experienced, lawyer?

Why single the OP out, many thousands of other do exactly what you are objecting to in Thailand right now

I understood actually practicing law as a foreigner was prohibited as well. But, I have looked at some Thai law firm websites and seen some Western/non-Thai attorneys, so I'm a bit confused.

I'm not necessarily set on practicing law (although it'd be nice), but was just hoping that bachelors+law degree+3 years of professional work experience could help me with a better job than teaching, which I'm also not totally opposed to. Just need some sort of income. But just inquiring.

Yo cannot practise law in Thailand as a non Thai citizen, you can be employed as an "advisor" or "consultant" but you cant be a lawyer, only a Thai lawyer can actaully practise law in Thailand

• Like 1

You need a degree in Education to work as a teacher in Thailand.
You need to be a Thai citizen to practise law in Thailand (and read, write and speak Thai).

Earn your money in the USA.
If you can't pass the bar, you can earn as a para-legal (or something).
Move to Thailand when you have enough to last. Edited by AnotherOneAmerican

There used to be a popular self help book for those entering the job market that was titled What Color is Your Parachute which basically forced you to define what skills and abilities you brought to the employer

Ask yourself that question right now and other than having a sheepskin and bar papers exactly what do you think you can bring to the table with 3 years of experience.  Afraid not much so you had better accept that you are going to have to change careers or stay in America get some real experience that is marketable in a foreign country