Farang Pad Thai vendor charms local Thais

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Nice story but Tony Smith can probably expect a visit from the Labour dept any day now!!

Secondly, this guy is Swiss, with a name like Tony Smith. Excuse my ignorance but it doesn't sound very Swiss.

You never heard of Swiss Toni?

"Making Pad Thai is like making love to a beautiful woman..."

tongue.png

ROFL

Last Time I looked any husband married to a thai has the legal right to help his wife in her business

a work permit is granted on application from the wife tor her spouse to help her

That is absolutely and completely false. You do not have the right to work without a work permit, even if it's only to help your spouse.

And no work permit would be granted for a job like this (less than 4 Thai employees and a job on the list of prohibited occupations (street vending).

4 employees working for a company (2 if married to Thai), not applicable for sole proprietors, he can get work permit in his wife's sole proprietorship.

I don't see him street vending, in the photo he works as a chef in a kitchen.

He can not serve the food or receive the money, probably his wife does that.

• Like 1

Its a really nice story, one we would hear more of if Thailand would tone down some of its xenophobia. Immigrants are capable of being part of the culture if they are allowed to have the same rights and are treated as equals. Sadly I think this story may cause trouble for this guy, as the rules about forbidden occupations and work permits may come into play because of the publicity.

Still I admire they guy and wish him all the best.

Many of my long time expat friends have Thai nationality. Most others have PR How do you know he what his status is. .

• Like 1

Nice story but Tony Smith can probably expect a visit from the Labour dept any day now!!

Secondly, this guy is Swiss, with a name like Tony Smith. Excuse my ignorance but it doesn't sound very Swiss.

Also, the comment...... "I have never seen any other foreigner with such talent."....what a strange thing to say.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but is that not like saying "I've never seen a foreigner who can cook," insinuating that only Thai people can cook Thai food??

I wonder how many of the worlds Michelin star chefs are Thai compared with how many are 'foreigners'?

Well how many expats have they ever seen cooking? Zero I would think, it is to be remembered that they know little about the going on's beyond their borders.

I've had friendly helpful locals, dive in to help me with simple tasks as if I was totally incapable.

• Like 1

There are many farang cooking Thai food in Restaurants here but not all wish to be a Jamie Oliver Star, many Australian.

Yes Good Luck with Immigration mate :)

Smith? Never knew a Swiss could have Smith as last name :)

Last Time I looked any husband married to a thai has the legal right to help his wife in her business

a work permit is granted on application from the wife tor her spouse to help her

Think I heard something along those lines years ago. Interesting if its actually true.

Can a lawyer on here give the full SP on this please.

Can you "Help" without a work permit"?

Can you get a work permit for a job like this which obviousy "can be performed by a thai person" and would normally be refused?

Can you also get a 1 year visa on this basis or would you get it based on being a spouse? (sorry don't know the spousal requirements)

• Like 1

They're amazing to see a farang cooking.. that makes sense since we're not allow to do this job.

If it was possible (legally) you'd see farang doing hundreds of jobs that some Thai's thought that we have never ever done.

You don't do it because we're not allowed too, not because we don't want too.

There are tens of thousands of farang that would love to (legall)y help there wifes in their small Thai businesses, but they cannot :(

How did this chap get his work permit???

• Like 2

Many of my long time expat friends have Thai nationality. Most others have PR How do you know he what his status is. .

On average about 160 people are granted Thai citizenship every year (or so this website says)

Does a PR stop you need a Work Permit?

Some Thai guy:

"I have to admit, I am amazed by Tony's cooking skill ... I have never seen any other foreigner with such talent."

It's incredible what low esteem Thai people seem to hold farangs in.

Quite common, particularly so with food.

Its always fun when I say Indian curries are better then Thai curries or that I prefer Greek food over Thai.

The looks you get 555555

I've had,

"oh you can fix your car/mocy"

"oh you can swim very good"

"oh you can play the keyboard"

etc.

etc.

all with the tone of incredulity.

It is partly because of the restrictions on work.

So,he dated a Thai, learned to cook from her, and he takes the credit? just because my Thai gf taught me how to make really good pad see ew, I would never claim it was my recipe.

Like the rooster taking credit for the sunrise, IMO.

You are jealous?????

Wow. Some of these posts are sad. People saying pad thai is easy blah blah blah....

Very sad bunch....

As usual the jealous and hate-filled habitues of this forum cannot stand to see anyone find an enjoyable and successful life in Thailand. Any fun positive human interest story is invariably mocked and ridiculed by the far-too-many miserables here among us. It's sad there are those that only find satisfaction in raining on others' parades. Sorry bunch they are. coffee1.gif
Good luck to Mr Tony, and I wish him continued success and enjoyment. thumbsup.gif

Sorry to break it to you, but ALL human endeavors are worthy of mockery. Whether it's a 50 something Euro expat juggling mollusks in a wok, to self-righteous Thai Visa posters who need feel good stories to boost their mood.

Didn't mean to pee in your corn flakes. Sorry.

Carry on.

In Prachuap, a while back some retired guys were busted for the same thing, helping their wives or friends in there cafes along the beach. I'd wager, no work permit, no work and if you have a work permit, you loose your retirement visa. I wish someone would lobby for part time work (15-20 hrs) allowed on retirement visas. Truth be known, no that sure we're much wanted in Thailand, especially these days.

• Like 1

Would be a nice story if...

A ) There wouldn't be so many posters here who can't be happy with a simple man having his 5 minutes of fame and who need to throw dirt at anyone but themselves if he/she is mentioned in a newspaper... What does it matter if one here can also do a Guiteaw Lad Naa at home or whatever? You were not mentioned here, but that guy who obviously loves cooking and looks happy was! Why does this uplifting story need to be bashed to a pulp? If you can't take it that someone else if happier and feels more content than you, then stay off the internet!

B ) I can already see Thai officials getting down now on this one. A foreigner in Thailand is not supposed to experience happiness as a simple Pad Thai food vendor. To match all the requirements to get a work permit, he and his wife will need to run a Co.,Ltd. employ 4 Thai people, and he will need his non-B one year visa. The initial and recurring monthly and yearly costs for this, including social insurance, tax balance, accounting, etc. would kill this little business and bleed their bank accounts dry before they even put up the "open" sign. To cut this short - officials and a good percentage of Thai people don't want us "farangs" to be happy here, working as a simple food vendor, farmer, painter, whatever and refuse to grant us equal rights. Thus, when reality sets in, that admirable man might charm the locals, but official rules and regulations for 2nd class citizens here (us foreigners, farangs, aliens) will destroy the fun of it as soon as the official hyenas are let loose and all that will be left of this nice story is a sour aftertaste and a "for sale" sign... It sickens me sad.png

BANG ON, my friend. Lets be honest here. TV is by far not the kind of domain one enters the topic arena with any kind of anything approaching happy stories WITH A NICE ENDING. All topics will be discredited by the irrational mongrels that 'await fresh prey' to voice their somewhat ridiculous views and condemn anyone who dare give opinionated experiences of living in Thailand that don't follow suit to their liking.

Who are these people I ask myself?

Are there really that many expatriates that are really this vile living in this country who can never show empathy or compassion for these fellow citizens. All this Doom n Gloom bull tends to get 'so out of hand' it leaves a bad taste in one's mouth. I could never hate or deny anyone happiness just because of the current visa they hold. Why not change the name to - THAIVISABASHERS !!!!

• Like 1

His wife owns a restaurant so maybe he has a wp. Wp can be very liberal in there wording. He can be a manager involved in all aspects of the business including advertising and promoting the restaurant. Thats the approach i would take if i were him.

Correct, wife opens sole proprietorship and has two employees, herself and her sister.

No problem getting work permit.

As married to Thai there is only need for 2 employees.

• Like 1

Isn't it interesting how so many posts tell us more about the state of mind of the poster rather than about the topic being dicussed?

Totally agree, There are some very unhappy individuals on here. I wonder if they realise making cynical and negative comments on an uplifting story won't improve their mood long term. They should have a sign outside of Suvarnabhumi saying "welcome to the land of smiles.....and cynical Westerners on Thai visa"

• Like 2

you cant get work permit for pad thai on street...

u need company, etc.. and taxes are high...

Do the permanent residents need work permits?

No need for company, wife can start sole proprietorship.

If married to Thai 2 employees, wife and her sister for work permit.

What taxes?

If you don't have revenue over 1.2 Mbaht you don't pay VAT or tax.

• Like 1

Funny the locals are so impressed with his ability to cook possibly the world's easiest dish,

No, peanut butter and jelly sandwich should take that crown. Pad Thai easy? then why so many mediocre attempts by other Thai, especially here in the south. Kudos to the chef!