Farang Pad Thai vendor charms local Thais

webfact

I can understand Thailand's apprehension in allowing farangs to work in jobs that would otherwise go to a Thai. If they opened that spigot many more farangs would follow with the same agenda. The US should take a cue from Thailand on that one. However, we farangs do dump a lot of money that we've earned elsewhere into the Thai economy. Also, if you've retired to Thailand, chances are you have an income that is also being absorbed into the Thai economy. My point is that we really don't get a break here other than being granted the permission to stay in the kingdom. It would be a plus to see a bit more flexibility on the part of the Thai government regarding working farangs.

• Like 2

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

An alien working without a work permit is subject to imprisonment for a period of up to five years and/or a fine from 2,000 baht to 100,000 baht. If an alien accused of working without a work permit agrees to leave Thailand within 30 days, he may settle the matter with only a fine. An alien with a work permit failing to comply with certain provisions of the Alien Working Act is subject to a fine of up to 10,000 baht. An employer hiring an alien without a work permit is subject to a fine from 10,000 baht to 100,000 baht per alien, and an employer hiring an alien outside the scope of his work permit is subject to a fine of up to 10,000 baht per alien.

Alien Working Act. I hope the ad was worth it.

• Like 1

Street vending is a proscribed job. It doesn't matter if it's cooking Thai food, carving kebabs or selling handicrafts.

Tell that to all the ASEAN nationalities staffing street stalls along lower Sukhumvit in BKK, or all the Middle Easterners with sidewalk shwarma stands in the same area. Same people and places there, day after day and month after month.

I certainly wish the guy in the OP well, and am glad he can share something with his wife. But it's not negativity to fear and expect that Thai Labor or Immigration will end up causing trouble for this guy. It's just the reality of the way things, and limits on foreign employment, work here.

If I was him, the OP article would be just the kind of publicity I would NOT want.

• Like 1

Pad Thai, like Spätzle, just a bit more sugar. whistling.gif

I like Spätzle. I cook Spätzle with onions stir fried until slightly brown and like Pad Thai, I make room in the middle of the pan and crack an egg (or 2) then using spatula to mix the yoke and white part together. I mixed Spätzle and onions over the mixed egg. I waited until the egg stick to the Spätzle and check under the egg if it is nicely golden brown, then I would flip the egg to the other side and using spatula to stir the content to break apart a bit. sprinkle some salt and little sugar mix it at the end.

ah, but what about the chili, fish sauce, beansprouts, nuts and shrimp, pork, or chicken

To all the "work permit" comments the story quite clearly states:

The Swiss man said he mastered the skill to cook pad thai three years ago and has been "helping" his wife earn a living by cooking the dish in their hometown ever since.

So if all he is doing is helping his wife why should he need a work permit? rolleyes.gif

i was under the impression (gathered from talking to many farang business owners) that even sweeping crumbs off a table or answering a ringing phone was classed as 'working' and would result in being deported........surely they didnt ALL lie to me?

...and while youre here maybe someone can throw some light on the indian suit sellers that work alone without 4 thais and the indian restaurants that are full of indians but no thais......how does that work?

• Like 1

Didn't think that cooking is a prohibited profession in Thailand.

http://www.thaivisa.com/330-0.html

No, it is not a prohibited profession. There are many falang cooks in Thailand, but if he doesn't have a "Work Permit" then his cooking will end and this happy story will end up doing the reverse of what was intended.

So long as he only cooks and doesn't take money or give the food directly to the customer as that would probably be shop attending which is prohibited.

It would be sad if anything happened to someone who is obviously just trying to take part in Thai everyday life. Unfortunately those are the rules and even if many get away with it as he appears to have done so far it only needs one person set on revenge to spoil it all.

I hope for the best for him and his wife.

To all the "work permit" comments the story quite clearly states:

The Swiss man said he mastered the skill to cook pad thai three years ago and has been "helping" his wife earn a living by cooking the dish in their hometown ever since.

So if all he is doing is helping his wife why should he need a work permit? rolleyes.gif

i was under the impression (gathered from talking to many farang business owners) that even sweeping crumbs off a table or answering a ringing phone was classed as 'working' and would result in being deported........surely they didnt ALL lie to me?

...and while youre here maybe someone can throw some light on the indian suit sellers that work alone without 4 thais and the indian restaurants that are full of indians but no thais......how does that work?

I'd certainly be interested in that answer as well. Indra shopping centre has dozens of Indians selling cameras and the like. How is it done?

kind of reminds me when I was playing guitar in front of a store a few years ago, all these Thais looked at me and one even commented to the other "wow, I didn't know falangs could play guitar so well." It is amazing sometimes the low esteem "khon Tang Chart" are held to

His wife owns a restaurant so maybe he has a wp. Wp can be very liberal in there wording. He can be a manager involved in all aspects of the business including advertising and promoting the restaurant. Thats the approach i would take if i were him.

It would depend on what he's doing I suppose. Shop attending is prohibited so the cooking would be OK but giving food to and taking money from customers I would guess wouldn't be. Some have mentioned street vending but it looks to me as if this is a more permanent site but then again it depends on the definition of street vendor. The laws are a bit vauge so it's difficult to be certain. I says his wife already owns a restaurant in Bangkok so if there are Thai workers there and it's part of the same company that might mean it's more likely he has a wp.

I hope he is within the law as it would be sad if this turned out badly for him and his wife.

So there is a Farang who can cook Thai food, we just have to find the Thai who can cook Farang food now.

there is this restaurant I have heard of Called "Uncle John's" in Bangkok, apparently the guy is Thai and cooks really good western food....anyone know this restaurant or have ever tried the food

His wife owns a restaurant so maybe he has a wp. Wp can be very liberal in there wording. He can be a manager involved in all aspects of the business including advertising and promoting the restaurant. Thats the approach i would take if i were him.

It would depend on what he's doing I suppose. Shop attending is prohibited so the cooking would be OK but giving food to and taking money from customers I would guess wouldn't be. Some have mentioned street vending but it looks to me as if this is a more permanent site but then again it depends on the definition of street vendor. The laws are a bit vauge so it's difficult to be certain. I says his wife already owns a restaurant in Bangkok so if there are Thai workers there and it's part of the same company that might mean it's more likely he has a wp.

I hope he is within the law as it would be sad if this turned out badly for him and his wife.

I was always under the impression that even with a work permit, a foreigner couldn't legally cook, unless it was for some International Hotel chain like Four Seasons of Something....although they seem to do it all the time...I'm happy for the guy personally and just shrug off all the sorry old sots who wish him bad

Edited by Smurkster

"Many customers said they were impressed to see a farang (Caucasian) who is extremely capable of cooking pad thai, the fried noodle that has become one of the most iconic Thai dishes."

Yes dear Thai people, no need to be rocket scientists as most of you are.. or think that you are...

• Like 1

Honestly i dont really understand the list of forbidden jobs. Plenty of falangs running auctions and i dont really see any restriction about accepting money. I know several restaurants with falang waiters.