How to make international calls?

Spouse

Why not use the Skype international flat plan for 13.9 USD? land lines are so old technology expensive and the voice quality very poor.

I guess just one international call should be around 10USD in a land line

• Like 2

Why not use the Skype international flat plan for 13.9 USD? land lines are so old technology expensive and the voice quality very poor.

I can recommend Skype - for making calls and buying a "Skype-in" number in the country of your choice. I think that was $ 30 for a year. Then all your friends can call that number...

Moreover, Skype has country flatrates. Something like $ 9 for EU countries, and $ 5-7 for single countries like the USA.

From a landline, you can use a certain number like CAT Telecom's 007 or TRUE's 009 (?). The latter is expensive though. Check it out.

Chris

I used to use a True Inter sim for the occasional calls I made to the UK (1 Baht per minute to a UK landline) but when I upgraded the sim to True H a couple of months ago I lost the cheap international rate option. However, when I needed to make a call urgently the other day I simply dialed +44****************. A fifteen minute phone call still only cost me 27 baht. So still less than 2 baht per minute.

plus our Skype call quality is never that good on the computer

Even though Skype video calls might sometimes be unreliable I've never had a problem with making voice only calls to the UK.

I used to use a True Inter sim for the occasional calls I made to the UK (1 Baht per minute to a UK landline) but when I upgraded the sim to True H a couple of months ago I lost the cheap international rate option. However, when I needed to make a call urgently the other day I simply dialed +44****************. A fifteen minute phone call still only cost me 27 baht. So still less than 2 baht per minute.

plus our Skype call quality is never that good on the computer

Even though Skype video calls might sometimes be unreliable I've never had a problem with making voice only calls to the UK.

I use Skype to call the US all the time and the call quality is always much better than a landline or cellphone. But it's next to unusable if I try calling Queensland, Australia. So I think your mileage can vary based on where you're calling to. Definitely worth a go though.

Edited by cocopops

Skype with a vpn like witopia to put you in the US city might make the call free.

How do you make it look like you are calling from "work" in Las Vegas when you are really in Thailand ?

You'll need to research that on your own :).

In the UAE voip is blocked. But with witopia vpn I can set the ip location to a Dallas server and call locally for free on Skype.

I use CAT phone card to call USA - one baht per minute - thats abt 3 cents per minute. - though I more often use skype.

I use the CAT phone card as well (PHONENET). 1 baht per minute to the US, whether I call from my mobile, someone else's mobile, or from my home phone. When you use phonenet, there are no mobile charges included.....as you dial 1544 which is a toll-free number, even on mobile phones.

Calls are always crystal clear.

How do you make it look like you are calling from "work" in Las Vegas when you are really in Thailand ?

Buy a magic jack from the US and you can choose a number from any area code in the US, with $19.99 per year. you can call the US from anywhere in the world and it will look like it is from a land line from that area code, as long as it is connected to the internet. you can also receive calls. I have been using mine for about 5 years.

I use CAT phone card to call USA - one baht per minute - thats abt 3 cents per minute. - though I more often use skype.

I use the CAT phone card as well (PHONENET). 1 baht per minute to the US, whether I call from my mobile, someone else's mobile, or from my home phone. When you use phonenet, there are no mobile charges included.....as you dial 1544 which is a toll-free number, even on mobile phones.

Calls are always crystal clear.

One tip to using CAT phone cards on your mobile phone, make a new contact e.g "CATPhone Jack" then 1554 then pause usually a comma then 2 for English a another three commas then the CAT phone card number followed by # more commas then the 009 country code, phone number followed by #. Example 1544,,2,,,3362676536263276#,,,0092737555555#. It is a schlep the first time but it will save you keying in 26 plus number every time you make a call. Simple hey?!

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Get a Google voice #. Free. You can pick your area code. Then use GV on the computer. Or on your cell get the google hangouts app and link it to your GVapp/#. Calls are free in and out.

I use ITalk prepaid calling cards. Costs less than 1 baht/min. to call to U.S.. I buy from online ThaiTelephone.com, but I think you can buy them at retail outlets in Bangkok. To use the service you call their access number in Bangkok. If that's long distance from where you are dial 1234 on your TOT phone before you dial the access number. That saves about 2/3 on the in-country long distance charge. If you register your phone number on-line with Thai Telephone when you call your number is recognized and you don't need to enter a PIN number. Usually the call quality is very good. Often if the quality is not good, it will be good if you hang up and redial. Occasionally there is a bad day and you can't get a clear line.

The last time I dialed International from a TOT land line (must be at least 10 years ago now!), one had to first enable international calls on it and pay a separate bill via CAT. If you didn't pay the CAT bill on time as well they sent you a nice reminder to see you in court - which I found out once having been abroad for six months.

Have things changed (besides no one in their right mind dialing this way again?).

I use LINE...on my AIS I5 phone and tablet. Free to every country in the world...but works only between LINE suscribers, and depends of a good internet and wifi connection...Amazing technology too.

To talk with my grand daughter in Brazil, and see her playing with her mom when I am seated at the park...Priceless!

Go get international calling card for say 500 baht then pickup phone dial number on card follow the prompts make your call when done hang up phone. Rates are cheap.

but does your mobile carrier also charge you for minutes to use the "cheap" calling from a phone card ?

I have a cell phone and call 0500 and then the number. I talked to my mother in Canada from Mukdahan Thailand for over 30 minutes and it cost me less than $2.00 and more like $1.50. I think the phone is AIS connected but I am unsure. I know it is very cheap.

Go get international calling card for say 500 baht then pickup phone dial number on card follow the prompts make your call when done hang up phone. Rates are cheap.

but does your mobile carrier also charge you for minutes to use the "cheap" calling from a phone card ?

When you use CAT phonenet calling card, you predial 1544 which is a tollfree number, whether you dial it from your mobile or from a homephone. So, in answer to your question, there are no mobile phone charges when using a cheap calling card like phonenet. Other cards may not be the same.