Russian tourism departures and arrivals are down from a third to half

sojourner007

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only real problem with upsetting Russia is that several EU countries have become largely dependent on Russian-controlled energy supplies, notably the piped natural gas, thanks to long-term deals negotiated by their pea-brained governments. Quite what insanity drove them to trust Russians at all is beyond me.

Err, necessity, the EU has no choice than to purchase 30% of natural gas supplies from Russia. In Germany's case, 60% of their oil an 30% of their gas comes from Russia... Who do you think Merkel will side with when push comes to shove? Like I said elsewhere, it's going to be a cold, cold winter in the EU...

It would sure be lovely if they could find alternative sources for all of their gas and oil. Tell Putin to go take a hike into Siberia. Would it be that hard? I sure would hate to be dependent on Putin.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Yes I agree re the independent Chinese travellers. They are different to the package Chinese tourists who are starting to discover Thailand. I experienced many of them in Chiang Mai recently. It's also currently happening where I live in a Queensland (Australia) seaside tourist city. I watch the tour coaches arrive at my favourite beach, they buy their fish and chips or other seafood and before long the wrappings are being thrown on the ground or even in the water, they spit anywhere and cough their lungs up while smoking and then discarding their butts anywhere. I can see this beginning to happen in Pattaya and, in my opinion, they will make the Russians look good in comparison. Anyway that's my thoughts.

We went to a national park in the US where a tour bus was with Chinese tourists. There's a nice 30 minute walk along a river. We went in about 60 minutes to escape the crowds. On the way back, trash was everywhere. They had all been given a bag lunch and instead of carrying it back, they just tossed it along the trail disgusting.

I spent many months traveling around China. One memory I'll never forget is following an overnight bus through a small town. We had to slow down as there were people selling all sorts of stuff right along the road. From the overnight bus came a steady stream of trash. Some thrown right onto the people standing there. I wish I could have filmed it. Terrible.

I won't even start on the spitting thing...unreal.

Frankly, Pattaya could lose 90 percent of the bars and still have enough bars.

The question is what will replace all the bars.

More same same trinket and t-shirt shops?

And that would create a need for more luggage shops to put the trinkets and tshirts in.

Between the Hanuman monument and Beach Road in Jomtien the trend seems to be towards empty bars closing and flash luggage shops opening, but the luggage shops dont seem to do any more business than the bars did. Very odd.

Guys please. Third to half is obviously meant to be 30 to 50 percent. Ruskies a good at math but maybe not English.

Gawd damn snake pit around here.

'nuff said

~

A THIRD IS 33.333333333% wai2.gif

No it isn't, that's only an approximation.biggrin.png

Edited by tropo

I do find them aggressive and rude...but their money is needed in Pattaya.....but then do they spend much? Always see them walking around with a big bottle of Chang in hand, can't say I ever see them in bars !

I was told by some bar owners, in Pattaya, that they feel some bars will have to close, as a result of the proliferation of Russian AND Chinese tourism. Very few visit the bars. Most Russians drink more than the Chinese. And very few drink in bars. Most go to 7/11 or the supermarket, and buy beer, or vodka, and either drink in their rooms, or on the beach. And very, very few bar fine. Very few. So, where does that leave the bars when the numbers of those two groups are ever increasing? Not sure what your take on it is, but seems to be the whole bar scene in both Phuket and Samui seems to be in a steady state of decline. Samui has dropped off dramatically. They are trying to make the place into a family destination. Seems about the same as normal in Pattaya, though a lot of the bar owners are complaining that things are very slow. Seems about the same as normal in Bangkok too, though the talent is declining. Hua Hin seems to be the only place where the bar scene is actually getting better. The bar scene absolutely sucks in Chiang Mai. But, that may have always been the case.

Spidermike

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It's ironic that although the Russians don't participate directly in the bar industry, it's probably all the resultant lights and "glamour" which make this an interesting tourist destination for them. They certainly don't come here for the beach and Koh Larne is an added bonus.

• Like 1

Yes I agree re the independent Chinese travellers. They are different to the package Chinese tourists who are starting to discover Thailand. I experienced many of them in Chiang Mai recently. It's also currently happening where I live in a Queensland (Australia) seaside tourist city. I watch the tour coaches arrive at my favourite beach, they buy their fish and chips or other seafood and before long the wrappings are being thrown on the ground or even in the water, they spit anywhere and cough their lungs up while smoking and then discarding their butts anywhere. I can see this beginning to happen in Pattaya and, in my opinion, they will make the Russians look good in comparison. Anyway that's my thoughts.

We went to a national park in the US where a tour bus was with Chinese tourists. There's a nice 30 minute walk along a river. We went in about 60 minutes to escape the crowds. On the way back, trash was everywhere. They had all been given a bag lunch and instead of carrying it back, they just tossed it along the trail disgusting.

I spent many months traveling around China. One memory I'll never forget is following an overnight bus through a small town. We had to slow down as there were people selling all sorts of stuff right along the road. From the overnight bus came a steady stream of trash. Some thrown right onto the people standing there. I wish I could have filmed it. Terrible.

I won't even start on the spitting thing...unreal.

What a shame to hear. Not a pretty statement about the mass consciousness. Littering is pretty heinous. It shows such a disrespect for the land and for nature. But, when you consider that some of their recent history included a shallow, despotical, megalomaniacal man child like Mao, it is not wonder. And then add in the way the current regime fouls the land and the air. Hope they improve. Hope they gain some respect for the planet.

• Like 2

Interesting article in the Bangkok Post today. Search for:

Pattaya waits for rebound

Thanks. I was just wondering how this will affect the property market and that article essentially answered my question.

Due to the ratcheting up of sanctions, they are saying Russians will soon face food price increases plus there are expecting taxes will go up so I would think there is going to be a huge dampener on travel here and investment in real estate.

Interesting article in the Bangkok Post today. Search for:

Pattaya waits for rebound

Thanks. I was just wondering how this will affect the property market and that article essentially answered my question.

Due to the ratcheting up of sanctions, they are saying Russians will soon face food price increases plus there are expecting taxes will go up so I would think there is going to be a huge dampener on travel here and investment in real estate.

I think you will find there will be a heap of condos coming back onto the market. I feel that a lot of Russians that bought up will find that there is not the demand for renters any more and investment has hit a wall. Since the Military and Pattaya Police and Immigration clamped down on illegals and Russian bars and Russian working girls, yes it has gotten very quiet for all forms of business. A lot of the new Condos that were to be built have now been put on hold, the bubble has burst.

• Like 1

Would be good to see the all the russian signs and menus around jomtien removed soon and replaced with western, normal restaurants/ bars .

I don't think we're quite there yet.

But locals will not have invested too much in Russian language skills.

Da and Davai ... there she blows.

(Are they worried that someone will shoot them down on the way out?)

We're in the middle of the Russian summer. It's too soon to predict any effect on Russian tourism to Pattaya. It's quite possible that the drop from "a third to half" won't have a big effect on budget travel locations such as Pattaya.

Never been to Russia, but I guess last year around this time it was also middle of the summer, so they have something to compare to.

And I have always thought that if tourism numbers drop, that it's always the budget travels that are hit the first and the hardest.

Edited by JesseFrank

And I have always thought that if tourism numbers drop, that it's always the budget travels that are hit the first and the hardest.

I never thought that. My thoughts are that during hard times budget travel does well and the higher end tends to fall off.

There's a lot of factors to consider, but has anyone given any thought to the idea that Russians maybe losing interest in Pattaya, and Thailand in general. A lot of people on here complain about the Russians, but who's to say they're not complaining about us and Thailand.

Maybe the Russians are now realizing what Westerners realized some 10 years ago, that being that we, expats and tourists, are being "mugged off" and "milked" for every Baht we have.

Take Walking Street as a prime example. 10 years ago was mainly Westerners. Now Westerners make up a minute percentage. Russians aren't stupid. From being an inexpensive destination for them, now it is not. And I would guess, I repeat guess, that the Russian restaurants are not cheap.

And the joke is that the Thais are complaining that the Chinese tourists are the bottom end of Chinese tourism. I wonder how long it'll take for the Chinese to start disappearing.

• Like 1

Several very large Russian tour companies (in Russia) have closed up without notice. Many Russians are stranded around the world at the moment.

You can expect further drops starting right now.

• Like 1

Several very large Russian tour companies (in Russia) have closed up without notice. Many Russians are stranded around the world at the moment.

You can expect further drops starting right now.

Perhaps we can expect a new post soon: "Russian arrivals are down from a quarter to third"... biggrin.png

I think this is good news. In the end it's the Thai people who depends on tourism that will suffer the most,

I wonder when the thai leaders will wake up and try to understand how this will hurt a lot of hard working Thais. .

Edited by balo

I think this is good news. In the end it's the Thai people who depends on tourism that will suffer the most,

I wonder when the thai leaders will wake up and try to understand how this will hurt a lot of hard working Thais. .

Wishful thinking - like anyone cares what the poor people are doing. It's bad enough at home - here life can be brutal if you're broke.

How can "this [be] good news" when " this will hurt a lot of hard working Thais"? Russian tourism (or the lack thereof) is not a "Thai" caused problem, and there is really very little that the Thai government can do about it, apart perhaps from making Thailand a more attractive tourist destination in general. The coup had an effect on tourism in general, but from what I have read that effect has largely now disappeared. The decline in Russian tourism is largely caused by US and European sanctions against Russia due to the Ukraine situation, which Russia has fomented, and those sanctions are not likely to go away any time soon. What can Thai leaders do to change that? Thailand has bent over backwards to make it easy for Russians and Eastern Europeans to come to Thailand, with notable success. I will never give Thai leaders high marks on anything, but blaming them for the decline in Russian tourists is just plain stupid.

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 1

Wanna bet??? If they all disappeared, "missing them" is not an emotion that comes to mind -- perhaps "joy"? Actually, they should leave 2 or 3 (with large scarlet "R"s on their shirts) just so no one forgets how they behave.

And if I had a choice between the Russian lady and the fish, I'd take the fish. You probably agree, but no doubt for different reasons. At least I could eat the fish...... wink.png

Wanna bet??? If they all disappeared, "missing them" is not an emotion that comes to mind -- perhaps "joy"? Actually, they should leave 2 or 3 (with large scarlet "R"s on their shirts) just so no one forgets how they behave.

And if I had a choice between the Russian lady and the fish, I'd take the fish. You probably agree, but no doubt for different reasons. At least I could eat the fish...... wink.png

They seem to take up allot of space. (especially at the buffet scrum)

The ones that speak english, I have been impressed, really. Decent people.

The younger ones are more sophisticated it seems.

Was in Pattaya from Sat.am to Mon am and have never seen it so empty. Could even cross beach road without fear off getting hit. Feel sorry for the stores / shops and restaurants as most we saw were empty or near empty. Love them or hate them...many businesses will suffer / shut down without the Russians coming to Thailand

Was in Pattaya from Sat.am to Mon am and have never seen it so empty. Could even cross beach road without fear off getting hit. Feel sorry for the stores / shops and restaurants as most we saw were empty or near empty. Love them or hate them...many businesses will suffer / shut down without the Russians coming to Thailand

Traffic in Jomtien and on Sukumwit has been a nightmare the last few days. This is not because of foreign tourists but Thais enjoying the long holiday. I suspect any uptick for businesses that service foreigners has been minimal.

Traffic in Jomtien and on Sukumwit has been a nightmare the last few days. This is not because of foreign tourists but Thais enjoying the long holiday. I suspect any uptick for businesses that service foreigners has been minimal.

That is, I think, a good thing. Pattaya will survive like other coastal cities within driving distance of Bangkok on Thai tourists who drive to Pattaya on long weekends to enjoy the beach and seafood restaurants. Places like Bang Saen are packed on long weekends with SRO crowds and cars/trucks parked 3 deep on the beach road. And the crowds coming there are 95% Thai. That Pattaya stops being dependent on a swell of tourists from Eastern Europe that come here for one reason only -- its cheap -- is good, necessary and healthy in the long run. Of course, Pattaya, and Thailand more generally, will always benefit from a heterogeneous mix of foreign tourists coming from a wide range of countries, including some (but not "all") from Russia and Eastern Europe, especially those that can speak English (or Thai) and who are willing to spend a reasonable amount of money during their stay here. Neither of those are true IMO of the vast majority of the Russian tourist masses that have taken over/infested Pattaya over the last several years. A change to a more heterogeneous mix of tourists, including a large percentage of middle class Thais, will be/is a very welcome (and necessary) event. And if that change comes with a traffic nightmare, that is ok too.