Living in Thailand, do you miss your relatives?

zierf1

I would like to live in Thailand part of the year.  Perhaps 6 months out of the year.  I am kind of torn because I have my aging parents in the US but I would like to live part year in Thailand because I like it there so much.  How do you deal with this situation as an expat?

Not seeing your relatives and old friends back home is a part of living abroad. On the other hand you meet new people, get new friends and experience the world.

The choice is "up to you"... 

Use Skype etc. to keep contact.

• Like 1

Only one......

Parents are no longer with us......

I raised one daughter from 3 months on by myself & she turned into a splendid person by all criteria....unfortunately was killed in a car crash at 26 in 2012 - just as the rewards of life were coming to fruition for all her hard work.....she was in essence my "2nd" family.....this one I miss every day.....

1st family ended in divorce and those kids ended up in other states - two sisters that really do not like each other and somehow I end up being put in the middle any time we're in close proximity of each other......we keep in touch through technology.....I suppose sometime I will have to go see them but 3 days is a LONG LONG time when in the middle of the storm.....one kept saying she wanted to pack up her her kids and move "close" to me in California - I knew what that meant.....

The rest were east coast family members and we were west coast (California) so mingling with them didn't happen much over the years - 2 west coast cousins are no longer around......most of the good time spent with them was playing ball together for many years then we sort of drifted to different areas of the state loosely communicating..... 

So yeah - the ones I miss are no longer around - the ones that are still around - I don't miss too much......

While there I did my best - and beyond the call for all concerned to the point of years without any kind of a down time/break/vacation - so now this is my time.....

Happy here....