Man Bags. Why Don't More Farang Men Use These?

deknoiJT

Wind back the clock 30 years and you will find a practical version of these commonly known as Mum Bags were essential items for the Oz military traveling through Malaysia and Thailand.

It was common for thieves to ride by on motorbikes to steal bags or more commonly to use razor blades to cut and steal possessions.

These Mum bags were locally made from heavy canvass with velcro to seal the tops. A few coins were kept incase the razor gangs were successful. You could hear the coins drop to the ground. In all my years I never heard of a successful theft from one of these bags. I have seen a few razor cuts that never made it through the canvass.

There is the odd one or 2 still being used as I saw one on a BTS passenger a year ago.

That is a very interesting fact, Farma. I esp. like the safety mechanism of the coins as a warning signal

I had a quick google and couldn't see an example, but if you do have a picture I would love to see it

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry - will never carry a purse......or tote a tablet because that would require a purse....years ago when traveling for business when laptops needed I did have a bag with a shoulder strap - that got old and I wouldn't put it in the same catagory of carrying a purse.....

Take a close look at the ones that do.....especially around CM with those silly a**ed raggity cloth bags......... I know we are a diverse group - but some I've chatted with have me wondering if they're from the same planet.......

2 problems with man bags, though I'm not personally against them (for other guys, that is):

1) Stuff accumulates to fill all available space. I already carry enough stuff around with me in my pockets.

2) While I have never been robbed, or pick pocketed, I have left hats, bags and other things behind at restaurants and in taxis.

I freely admit I'm a fanny pack kind of guy when it does come to carrying more than my pockets will hold, for reason #2 above.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

Wind back the clock 30 years and you will find a practical version of these commonly known as Mum Bags were essential items for the Oz military traveling through Malaysia and Thailand.

It was common for thieves to ride by on motorbikes to steal bags or more commonly to use razor blades to cut and steal possessions.

These Mum bags were locally made from heavy canvass with velcro to seal the tops. A few coins were kept incase the razor gangs were successful. You could hear the coins drop to the ground. In all my years I never heard of a successful theft from one of these bags. I have seen a few razor cuts that never made it through the canvass.

There is the odd one or 2 still being used as I saw one on a BTS passenger a year ago.

That is a very interesting fact, Farma. I esp. like the safety mechanism of the coins as a warning signal

I had a quick google and couldn't see an example, but if you do have a picture I would love to see it

They were purely practical and not a fashion accessory. The units safety equipment people would sew them up on industrial sewing machines to order out of either navy blue or dark green heavy canvas and 2" heavy duty webbing.

They would hold a A4 size clipboard and the more upmarket ones had either a 2" strip of dayglo or reflective tape across them midway.

• Like 1

I use a leather one Monday to Friday going to and coming from the office. I use it for my phone, glasses, newspaper and a paperback (I would feel nude without something to read), so only need a small man bag. Have used one in one form or another for more than 20 years. Never anything stolen, even though I rarely zip it up. Never a threat at all. So those saying it is an advertisement to "mug me", I think you are wrong. In any case, I do not carry money in it, and the phone is in a zipped side pocket, so if anyone wants to pinch the latest James Lee Burke or John Grisham, they are welcome to it, but that is all they will get.

Of note is that I have had the odd Thai person on the BTS suggest that I should zip up my bag to avoid theft, but apart from that nothing.

I wear it over the shoulder (right) 99 % of the time, and cross chest only when the train is so packed that if I did not do so my bag would end up behind me AND then be an invitation to go dipping.

• Like 1

Makes it easier for the bag snatchers to grab all your gear I guess.

Yes, for hundreds of years, pockets have been the protection against thieves and pickpockets...

Wear the bag with the strap on the diagonal. Cannot be snatched. If you are concerned about the strap being cut, wear the bag near your stomach

Yeah call me old fashioned but I prefer to scatter my valuables around various pockets rather than put them all in the same bag.

When backpacking around Europe many years ago I would use a day pack (detachable from the backpack) to carry valuables when on short side trips. I would carry passports, money, Eurorail and plane tickets to name some of the items that went with us everywhere.

Once, when descending Mt Rigi in Switzerland on the second last cog rail trip of the day, my gf and I suddenly realised the bag had been left on the top of the mountain. Each thought the other had grabbed the bag.

We had to stop the train, leap into deep snow, make our way several ks back to the top on a steep goat track, find the bag and get to the station just in time to make the last train down. Nearly killed me. We did miss the last ferry back to Lucerne and spent hours on local transport systems to get back there.

I now carry valuables in several front pockets, can't lose everything in one go.

They are dangerous in countries where you have many razor artists. too easy to cut the strap and be off with all your valuables. money, passport, credit cards etc etc

Are there many of these razor artists in Thailand?

I see a lot of Thai men wearing these bags.

I've, for years, always favoured putting my extras into a supermarket re-usuble plastic bag - really looks non-descript!!

My now-favourite bag hangs off my other arm, and it is she who puts my small valuables into her louis vuitton thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

I haven't carried my wallet, passport for a number of years. Just like cash, the missus says I farang cannot be trusted to not lose the important things.

All I ever carry is some coin never exceeding 30 baht

...it's great when wifey fools herself into having to carry everything...

the only bag I'm trying to lose is the bagpipe noises the missus makes at me, imitating marg simpson, whenever she looks at me, the one who cannot be trusted...

Edited by tifino

It is a purse!

They make men look gay!

Unless they have" man boobs" to go with the" man bag".

Don't misunderstand.....

I have a "man bag" too.

It's called a scrotum!

I beleive that a purse is more closely related to a wallet.

You say that they make men look gay. How does a gay man look to you my dear Willy?

It is a purse!

They make men look gay!

Don't misunderstand.....

I have a "man bag" too.

It's called a scrotum!

You say that they make men look gay. How does a gay man look to you my dear Willy?

easy JT .. See a man walking down the street carrying a purse - that's what he looks like.

It is a purse!

They make men look gay!

Don't misunderstand.....

I have a "man bag" too.

It's called a scrotum!

easy JT .. See a man walking down the street carrying a purse - that's what he looks like.

I don't think Sharkey is gay.

10273212_398313776978487_254657259329095

does anyone else think that girl looks familiar?

I use man bag aka messenger bag all the time, both here, the US and Canada. I ride a motor bike (111 cubic in SS pro street) whenever I'm back in the US. The use of a messenger bag is ideal for riding. I could not imagine having anything in my pockets during a ride (especially back pockets). I don't equate a messenger bag with being feminine or carrying a purse. For those that do, wonderful, everyone is allowed an opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I get my girlfriend to carry my extras. I don't carry much though. My smartphone and wallet stay in my pocket. If I need to bring my passport and retainer case for my teeth my girl will carry the items in her pocketbook.

What happens if you get drunk and lose your bag? Or what happens if someone grabs it and makes a run for it?

You wear it with the strap diagonally across your shoulders. This avoids any snatch and grab. It is comfortable this way and you let it stay there all the time, so you can't lose it. You simply do not notice it after 5 minutes

Diagonally across your shoulders? Doesn't the strap rub on your bra?giggle.gif

I use a messenger bag- kind of need to in order to carry around a computer, unless you want to carry a briefcase, which is just going to look weirder. Like, what does everybody else use then, especially the people who are terrified their sexuality will be called into question if they have something with a strap? Plastic bags from 7-11?

B4148B74.jpg

• Like 1

In the western world the carrying of bags is considered gay like hence my reason on leaving school i ditched my satchel,as i aint gay obviously this is not a issue for the thais and yep the guys ladyboys all carry em,but hull i wont a bumbag suffices.

• Like 1

I use a messenger bag- kind of need to in order to carry around a computer, unless you want to carry a briefcase, which is just going to look weirder. Like, what does everybody else use then, especially the people who are terrified their sexuality will be called into question if they have something with a strap? Plastic bags from 7-11?

B4148B74.jpg

great for teachers I suppose but not really for businessmen.

B4148B74.jpg

great for teachers I suppose but not really for businessmen.

why not?

Teachers? Don't know, never been one. Imagine they use briefcases though, don't they? They always did at my school.

In most of the jobs I've had in media and stuff people used messenger style bags. Guess they look better and are more convenient.

B4148B74.jpg

Messenger bags are brilliant!

Good for the laptop and/or tablet, phone, wallet and lots more.

• Like 1