Bank Accepted Teamoney

I've been trying to get a loan to buy some land(in my wife's name). We have had a mortgage with the same bank, Bangkok Bank for 12 years

The guy said no problem for the loan of 3 million baht but asked for 6,000 baht. I thought it was little money for getting the loan as my wife doesn't work. 2 weeks later the guy asked for another 6,000 baht to finalize things and I reluctantly paid. He said the papers would be ready in one week. This was 2 months ago and I'm going to lose my deposit on the land, 50,000 baht. 

What should I do?

I have the feeling that the bank are going to say no and I'll not get the money back AND lose 50,000 baht.

I was thinking of talking to the police or the Head of Bangkok bank.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you participated willingly in a "tea money" procedure and now you want to complain? coffee1.gif

Yes, if you have no useful reply please go away.

I have been working here for 26  years and this tea money is the usual way to get things done.

• Like 2

you participated willingly in a "tea money" procedure and now you want to complain? coffee1.gif

I have been working here for 26  years and this tea money is the usual way to get things done.

I imagine that is true. But you can't very well turn up at the cop-shop and say "This gentleman and I had a handshake agreement to defraud the shareholders of Bangkok Bank and now he won't hold up his end of the deal!"

It would be overly optimistic to expect that conversation to end well.

Talking to the bank might be another option. But since you have (presumably) broken the law yourself as well, I'd be speaking with a lawyer first to find out exactly what my exposure was. A 6000B backhander doesn't sound that bad, but what if it's trumped up to conspiracy to embezzle the entire value of the loan. You could be in pretty deep shit at that point.

Edited by cocopops
  • Like 2

Absolute nonsense!

And why on earth did you agree to having the transaction conducted "outside the Bank"??!!

Patrick

Have you ever borrowed money from a bank Patrick?

My neighbour paid 20,000 baht to get her mortgage. I paid a very high insurance to get my mortgage. 

I know countless people who pay tea money for many things. It is the nor here to pay the bank a little to get more than the house/land is worth, nearly everyone does it.

• Like 2

I imagine that is true. But you can't very well turn up at the cop-shop and say "This gentleman and I had a handshake agreement to defraud the shareholders of Bangkok Bank and now he won't hold up his end of the deal!"

It would be overly optimistic to expect that conversation to end well.

Talking to the bank might be another option. But since you have (presumably) broken the law yourself as well, I'd be speaking with a lawyer first to find out exactly what my exposure was. A 6000B backhander doesn't sound that bad, but what if it's trumped up to conspiracy to embezzle the entire value of the loan. You could be in pretty deep shit at that point.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I feel like I am screwed. 

Sounds like you know it all then so Iam not sure why you even posted the question.

I'm sorry? I don't know it all. What is the purpose of this forum?

I want advice, certainly not some moral judgement.

Have you, or Naam never given any tea money?

Lesson learned.

Many have lost a lot more when dealing with Thais.

True, although I feel there might be something I could do. It's not so much the 12,000 baht that annoys me but the 50,000 deposit on a great piece of land that's going cheap. 

Kinda like speeding and giving the cop 200 baht then he turns round and gives you a ticket. 

You have lived and worked here for 26 years and still haven't got it yet ?

I would tell the guy there is another 6000 - 10,000 Baht for him when the mortgage money hits your account. 

You then have the option of giving the guy his 6000 - 10,000 Baht and look on it as you not losing your 50,000 Baht or you can just screw him over and not give him anything 

Up to you as they say here

Isn't the usual procedure buying a high-premium life insurance policy from the cousin of the bank manager? For cash bribe, there's no recourse only legal problems.

Edited by Payboy

do you have any receipts,and the dates you paid,then it should be captured on cctv.

No the transaction took place outside the bank.

sorry mate I don't think you'll get one bat to stand on.

my useful advice for a genius like you is "go ahead and tell the police you were trying to bribe a bank employee and got cheated even though corruption is the usual way in Thailand to get things done."

tongue.png 

I despise playing the "I have been here longer than you Card" -

However :

I have been in Thailand over 43 years, have run my own Company here for more than 25 of those years; and, yes, at least in the early years of my Business I have "borrowed" money when asking a Bank to finance a Letter of Credit .... many times, for several millions of Baht in many cases, with appropriate Security.

I have bought Property here (although never at "more than the house / land is worth" ............. why on earth would anyone do that!?).

I deal with Thai Government institutions as my significant Customers on a monthly basis.

Never, ever, have I paid "Tea Money" to obtain or facilitate these Financial or Business transactions.

Not wishing to be rude to anyone but it's lazy thinking like this which perpetuates the idea that doing business in Thailand depends on Bribes - by and large it does not.

Of course if some fool walks into a Bank or a Government Purchasing Office and openly implies that he is willing to pay under the table for the transaction it would take a very principled Official to say "no sir, absolutely no need for that, I am only doing my duty".

Patrick

Well I wouldn't consider myself a newcomer.

So you've never had a mortgage or borrowed money for land.

It's pretty obvious -  if you have security, then borrowing money is easy and no bribes are required. I  haven't got security, that's why I paid the *****er at the bank the money.

We must mix in different circles mate.  I am a humble university professor, not a rich business owner that sips gin an tonic at the Polo club.  When I bought my house I wanted  more to furnish it and  plant a nice garden. I think I am in the majority

My friend who was building a resort on Samui popped into his bank and the bank manager asked if he could have a word. Thinking the manager wanted to try to sell him some insurance etc he said no problem. The manager then asked my friend if he could possibly lend him 20 million Baht for a couple of months cheesy.gif

Only in Thailand wink.png

my useful advice for a genius like you is "go ahead and tell the police you were trying to bribe a bank employee and got cheated even though corruption is the usual way in Thailand to get things done."

tongue.png

So you are stooping to insults now. Moral judgement isn't enough? Go annoy someone else on another thread. 

With 26,000 posts it's probably all you do in your life.

Not insults there, pointing you to your folly.           coffee1.gif

• Like 1

Not insults there, pointing you to your folly.           coffee1.gif

What's this with the cup of tea? Is there a race to see who can reach 30,000 posts of useless , nay insulting replies to a thread for advice?

Enough of this nonsense for me, I'm going into the real world. Enjoy your Friday evening :)

Edited by Johnniey

@ Jonny,

If in your "real" world is paying corruption money that is your business. Think you should not come here complaining about your stuff going wrong and members posts. Try the legal way for your stuff if you are legit......thumbsup.gif 

Sounds like you know it all then so Iam not sure why you even posted the question.

I'm sorry? I don't know it all. What is the purpose of this forum?

I want advice, certainly not some moral judgement.

Have you, or Naam never given any tea money?

of course i have given tea money. in Thailand only peanuts but in other countries where "tea money, speed-up fees, useful expenses, profit enhancement cost" and you name it are accepted standards and norms and that in amounts which you can't even fathom in your wildest dreams. that's how a certain percentage of business has been done before the pyramids were built and will always be done.

but as we all know this hit-the-fan.gif   happens and once in a while you get skrued

and you have to grind your teeth. life's a bitch! ermm.gif

• Like 1

However :

I have been in Thailand over 43 years, have run my own Company here for more than 25 of those years; and, yes, at least in the early years of my Business I have "borrowed" money when asking a Bank to finance a Letter of Credit .... many times, for several millions of Baht in many cases, with appropriate Security.

I have bought Property here (although never at "more than the house / land is worth" ............. why on earth would anyone do that!?).

I deal with Thai Government institutions as my significant Customers on a monthly basis.

Never, ever, have I paid "Tea Money" to obtain or facilitate these Financial or Business transactions.

Not wishing to be rude to anyone but it's lazy thinking like this which perpetuates the idea that doing business in Thailand depends on Bribes - by and large it does not.

Of course if some fool walks into a Bank or a Government Purchasing Office and openly implies that he is willing to pay under the table for the transaction it would take a very principled Official to say "no sir, absolutely no need for that, I am only doing my duty".

Patrick

It's pretty obvious -  if you have security, then borrowing money is easy and no bribes are required. I  haven't got security, that's why I paid the *****er at the bank the money.

We must mix in different circles mate.  I am a humble university professor, not a rich business owner that sips gin an tonic at the Polo club.  When I bought my house I wanted  more to furnish it and  plant a nice garden. I think I am in the majority

What made you think that a humble loan officer can bend the banks loan rules? All this stuff has to go off to somewhere else for approval anyway.
  • Like 1

However :

Patrick

What made you think that a humble loan officer can bend the banks loan rules? All this stuff has to go off to somewhere else for approval anyway.

Bingo, we have a winner, this lowly sales clerk has no say in the matter whatsoever, its off to head office for approval.

Never mind, living in Thailand for as long as you have, you knew this already.

Un Effin believable, no wonder the Thais laugh at us, some just cant help themselves.

However :

Patrick

Samran, I thought as a Thai you'd understand the way thing work here. I have known of countless people who pay bribes to get 100% mortgages or even 110%.

What the head office see is not the whole story.

I really don't know why I am being insulted by Naam, Patrick, ,Transam and now RegUK. Maybe I should report them. All I asked for was some practical advice.

However :

Patrick

Samran, I thought as a Thai you'd understand the way thing work here. I have known of countless people who pay bribes to get 100% mortgages or even 110%.
I really don't know why I am being insulted by Naam, Patrick, ,Transam and now RegUK. Maybe I should report them. All I asked for was some practical advice.

My take on things in situations like this bribes only 'work' as they would have gotten the loan anyway. All that was actually being paid was an illegal facilitation fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

i am not aware of any insult from my side. i stated facts and called you "genius" even though an insult would be appropriate after only reading the topic of this thread "Bank Accepted Teamoney".