Retirement Visa Cancelled......suggestions please

I have a retirement Visa and I went to Laos for a week but no one at the border check point told me I needed to complete a re-entry permit and I didn't know anything about a re-entry permit. So when I tried to come back into Thailand the official at the check point said my retirement Visa had been cancelled and I can only get a 15 day tourist visa! Has anyone experienced the same thing and is there a solution to reviving my cancelled retirement visa at Emigration as it still had 8 months remaining, or can I get an extension on my 15 day tourist visa at least, and what do I have to do to get it?

Please try and be positive and constructive with your comments, there is already enough drama about visa's.

• Like 1

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Most agengts will get you a new O multiple rentry visa so you can once again reapply for retirement extension last i heard was it was 4k for a russian couple needing same as you,good luck man.

Edited by Brit_Doggie

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best
  • Like 2

I have a retirement extension with multi entry visa. Needed as I tend to travel on a monthly basis.

A couple of trips back, when exiting, the Immigration officer at BKK airport asked if I had a multi entry. I had seen him checking the passport and had wondered if he had spotted any problem. I was able to show him the multi entry. I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern. So some officers do make a point of checking, but obviously not all as it is plainly not their responsibility so to do.

But it remains down to the extension holder to ensure they have the appropriate stamps.

I have a retirement extension with multi entry visa. Needed as I tend to travel on a monthly basis.

A couple of trips back, when exiting, the Immigration officer at BKK airport asked if I had a multi entry. I had seen him checking the passport and had wondered if he had spotted any problem. I was able to show him the multi entry. I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern. So some officers do make a point of checking, but obviously not all as it is plainly not their responsibility so to do.

But it remains down to the extension holder to ensure they have the appropriate stamps.

I also go the multi entry route but that's mostly just to avoid a visit to a  immigration office.

I'm curious about this sentence in your post.   "I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern."  

Would you please explain what you meant by this?

The last six  times I've dealt with customs while leaving or entering the country, I swear the officer looked at my passport long enough to memorize its entire contents.  In the end it's always OK but they surely do scrutinize it carefully.

• Like 1

At Sam Koke, the Immigration office for Pathum Thani, the put a stamp in your passport after you get your extension:

NOTICE

TO KEEP YOUR STAY PERMIT RE-ENTRY PERMIT

MUST BE MADE BEFORE LEAVINT THAILAND

NOTIFICATION OF RESIDENCE MUST BE

MADE EVERY 90 DAYS

i figure it's nice of them to remind us of these requirements, and in the end, saves them work and complaints, too.

Mac

You aren't using the right terms. It's not just nit-picking , what you said could give the wrong impression, and it's important for people to understand what they need, or they make mistakes, like the OP.

If you have a retirement extension then you do not have a visa, multi-entry or any other kind. When you get a retirement extension you must buy a "re-entry permit" (this is what they are called: they are not visas) if you want to leave the country and keep the extended permission to stay active. Even if your original visa was a multi-entry visa, once you are on an extension you must buy a re-entry permit to be able to leave the country.

Re-entry permits  themselves can be single entry, for one trip in and out, or multi entry, for unlimited trips during the period of your extension.

Same thing could be said about the OP, I strongly suspect. More likely he, too, had a retirement extension rather than a "retirement visa".

I also go the multi entry route but that's mostly just to avoid a visit to a  immigration office.

I'm curious about this sentence in your post.   "I thanked him for his action in voicing his concern."  

Would you please explain what you meant by this?

The last six  times I've dealt with customs while leaving or entering the country, I swear the officer looked at my passport long enough to memorize its entire contents.  In the end it's always OK but they surely do scrutinize it carefully.

He had been looking for the re-entry stamp. When he asked me if I had a re-entry stamp I was able to show him the multi-entry which was on another page and he hadn't spotted it despite obviously searching for it. To me, it was obvious that he thought I had not arranged for a re-entry stamp and would therefore have problems when I returned to Thailand. I thanked him as he was obviously someone who was being helpful in his actions. Not many around...!! 

• Like 2

- Many times they use solutions that are "questionable", like getting a non-O stamp from Vientiane while you are in Thailand: that is fully illegal and put you at risk of prison!

"Non-O stamp"? You mean non-imm. O visa.

Anyway, that is not done anymore, because immigration looks at the person leaving and entering with a given passport. Bribing for that would be very difficult and expensive.

- Many times they use solutions that are "questionable", like getting a non-O stamp from Vientiane while you are in Thailand: that is fully illegal and put you at risk of prison!

Anyway, that is not done anymore, because immigration looks at the person leaving and entering with a given passport. Bribing for that would be very difficult and expensive.

Maybe not that now. But who is to know whether an agent might instead trot along to a pal of theirs who was an expert in producing forged visas?

I feel for you

My first time I had a education visa I had the same thing.  I took a 3 day trip to Cambodia and even went to Thai Immigration and asked them.  I am going on trip do I need to get a stamp or anything?

guy says no stamp, you okay if you come back before your 90 days... i was like okay cool

Left and came back 3 days later and greeted with a 30 day stamp and lost of my ed visa

had to start the process all over again, though my school didnt charge me for school again but had to do border run etc

now all i can say anytime u leave for any visa get a stamp unless you got a multi entry visa... it was a hard lesson:)

• Like 2

A non O and a retirement visa were stamped in my passport.  Therefore, a stamp.  This website is great with terminology and language differences. 

You had a visa conversion, and an extension of stay (not a visa). issued in Thailand.

My remark was about a visa issued in Vientane, of which an example below.

If these are just boring details to you, perhaps this is not the right forum for you to spend time.

gallery_21260_1006_1836.jpg

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Yes I know it's a right pain, I had a similar situation, when applying for a Retirment Visa it's important to get a multi entry Retirment visa, rather than a single one, which I previously had, and like you when I left Thailand for a few days, got told the same as yourself, I ended up having to go through the whole process again... Lesson learned though, but I just wish they had mentioned this when I originally applied.

All the best

You can't have a multiple entry retirement visa. You get an extension of your previous visa based on retirement if you fulfil the requirements.

Then, if you want to leave the country for any reason, you can apply for a re-entry permit, single or multiple as you need.  

Jeez, I do wish some people would post accurate information on here, and also learn the laws of the country you have chosen to live in.

It's not rocket science - and it's NOT your home country.  The laws are not the same.  Do some basic research and then you won't end up with egg on your face and a big bill.

I've had a retirement visa for three years, left the country six times and never had a problem.  It's called using your brain...

you say he cant have a retirement visa and then tell us you have a retirement visa? what kind of visa do you have?

Edited by AYJAYDEE
  • Like 1

I have already told the OP what to do, if he gets his extension refurbished for a small fee what the hell is the problem  win - win for maybe 5k baht

you can all say well that is not legal but if an immigration officer sorts it then it is pretty good to me

Like I said  - you made a genuine error - pay and get it fixed.......hint hint

Pattaya46, as one of Visa Renewal Services bringing people to Thai-Cambodian border or to the Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane/Laos we would like to advise that your suggestion is NOT possible and was never possible at these borders. You always have to show up in person, the Embassy requires even copy of following while applying in person: Thai stamp out, Laos visa and Laos stamp in.

Everone travel with passport