Simple tourist visa questions

Hi all. I am from the UK, and would like to go to Thailand mid September.

I want to apply for a triple entry visa and extend each entry for the 30 day extra period.

Do I mention this in my application form in regards to my 'duration of proposed say' do I just write down 270days? Or 9 months? That's fine if it's a triple entry visa right?

Also I would like to know if I plan to go Mid-September (soon to book tickets) I obviously want to get as much time as possible so is it too soon now to apply for one? Or does the duration of stay start on arrival in Thailand?

ALSO, to extend my initial entry by 30 days, do I do that when I'm out there in Chiang Mai?

Many thanks

Dean

That's going to be a tough visa to get, given the current crack down. I believe instructions have now been disseminated to the Thai Embassies and Consulates, globally.

Not saying it's impossible, but you shouldn't get your hopes up for that type of visa, regardless of any previous travel to Thailand, or not.

Ok thanks guys. Well I think I'd rather just applying for a triple entry tourist visa first, then I will be able to book my tickets accordingly.

What I wonder though is if I did it now (this week) and got it granted, would that effect my length of time if I want to fly out mid September?

Ok thanks guys. Well I think I'd rather just applying for a triple entry tourist visa first, then I will be able to book my tickets accordingly.

What I wonder though is if I did it now (this week) and got it granted, would that effect my length of time if I want to fly out mid September?

Yes, applying early will affect how long you will be able to say. The visa will have an "enter before date" six months from the date it's issued, and all three entries have to be made before that date. So the longest you will be able to stay in Thailand will be around 270 days from the date the visa is issued. Any time between the time the visa is issued and the time you arrive in Thailand will effectively be deducted from the maximum 270 days such a visa will let you stay in Thailand, e.g. if your visa issued 30 days before you arrive in Thailand, you will only be able to get 240 days out of the visa.

Sophon

• Like 1

It could be that you could have trouble getting a triple entry. In the case that you do get one, get it at the latest possible moment prior to the trip. As said by the previous poster, the visa has a validity date (or use before date). That date will be 180 days from the date of issue.

You need to use this date as the date on which you need to make your third and final entry. Which effectively means, you would not be able to utilize your second entry to the full. (or the first if you choose so).

2 entries and 2x30 days extension equals 180 days. And since arriving in Thailand on the same day as the date of issue of your visa would be virtually impossible from Europe, this means that if you maximize your first two entries, by the time you would leave Thailand and re-enter, the validity date would have passed and the visa could not be used for the third entry. So either cut the first or the second entry short with a few days, so that you make your third entry before the validity date of the visa. An extension on that third entry would still be possible, regardless of the visa expiring.

Just keep in mind there will be two dates to track.

The "use by" or expiration date on the visa you get in UK. Your last entry into Thailand must be made before that date.

The permission to stay date stamped in your passport when you enter at the airport or a border. You'll need to do extensions of stay at Immigrations before the most recent permission to stay date and exit (then re-enter if/when you wish) the country before latest 30 day extension expires.

If you manage to get a double or triple entry visa, it's possible you may end up with a permission to stay or extension of stay date that takes you past the "use by" date on the visa. You'll need to exit/re-enter the country before the visa expires regardless of having time left on your permission to stay, or you'll no longer have a useable & valid visa for re-entering Thailand.

Edited by Suradit69

The following message is poster on their web site

With reference to the recent news about the Thai immigration bureau clamping down on visa runners, the consulate of Thailand in New York wishes to clarify that such measures are strictly implemented to prevent visa runners who abuse the visa exemption scheme from working illegally in Thailand

The purpose of this scheme is for tourism only. At percent, once a visa runner case has been found, the immigration bureau would take measures of warning and giving advise for proper visas. However from 12 August 2014 onwards the Thai immigration bureau will commence prohibiting visa runners from entering into Thailand. The consulate-General of Thailand therefor advises that those who wish to enter into Thailand for other purposes obtain the appropriate visas prior to arrival.

whistling.gif In most Thai consulates a triple entry tourist visa begins from the day it is issued at the consulate.

The usual period of issue is 180 days from the day it is issued.

All 3 entries must be made before that date.

It is often entered on the visa as "must enter before" date.

That date is the last day the visa is valid. (180 days after issued)

That's why, if you want to stay in Thailand the maximum you can stay, the LAST thing you should do is get a visa because it starts "counting down" to expiration the day it is issued NOT from the day you enter Thailand.

The longer you remain in your country waiting to get a ticket to Thailand, the less time you have to stay in Thailand.

Deal with it.

It is a TOURIST visa not a RESIDENCE visa.

rolleyes.gif

P.S. But, if you do it properly, you can re-enter Thailand the last day of your triple entry visa for your 3rd entry, which will give you another 90 day stay (60 day entry and 30 day extension) or around 270 days legal stay.

• Like 1

The following message is poster on their web site

With reference to the recent news about the Thai immigration bureau clamping down on visa runners, the consulate of Thailand in New York wishes to clarify that such measures are strictly implemented to prevent visa runners who abuse the visa exemption scheme from working illegally in Thailand

The purpose of this scheme is for tourism only. At percent, once a visa runner case has been found, the immigration bureau would take measures of warning and giving advise for proper visas. However from 12 August 2014 onwards the Thai immigration bureau will commence prohibiting visa runners from entering into Thailand. The consulate-General of Thailand therefor advises that those who wish to enter into Thailand for other purposes obtain the appropriate visas prior to arrival.

"The following message is poster on their web site"

"Their" = who??

There are many embassy and immigration websites and there are also websites with official sounding names that are just tour or visa businesses.

A link would be helpful.

I have just got 3 entry tourist visa from Glasgow consulate. It was issued on 1st August 2014. It has been issued for entry before 31st July 2015.

I was surprised when I got it as I thought they were only good for 6 months.

That's going to be a tough visa to get, given the current crack down. I believe instructions have now been disseminated to the Thai Embassies and Consulates, globally.

Not saying it's impossible, but you shouldn't get your hopes up for that type of visa, regardless of any previous travel to Thailand, or not.

There have been no instructions sent out the embassies and consulates. The are not going stop issuing tourist visas with more than one entry. Many tourist use them for their travels.

"There have been no instructions sent out the embassies and consulates." - that is not the information I have been told.

I have been informed that various Thai Embassies/Consulates, around the world, are aware of the visa crack down and abuse by foreigners of tourist visas, as well at the 30 day visa exemption stamp.

Edited by NamKangMan

There have been no instructions sent out the embassies and consulates. The are not going stop issuing tourist visas with more than one entry. Many tourist use them for their travels.

"There have been no instructions sent out the embassies and consulates." - that is not the information I have been told.

I have been informed that various Thai Embassies/Consulates, around the world, are aware of the visa crack down and abuse by foreigners of tourist visas, as well at the 30 day visa exemption stamp.

sending them information is far different than sending them instructions

sending them information is far different than sending them instructions

True, however, I am left wondering how many will interpret "information" as "instructions." :)

True, however, I am left wondering how many will interpret "information" as "instructions." smile.png

as they are still offering double and triple entry visas, i think none

"as they are still offering double and triple entry visas" - for how much longer????

no reason to suspect it will change

I have just got 3 entry tourist visa from Glasgow consulate. It was issued on 1st August 2014. It has been issued for entry before 31st July 2015.

So Scottish applications dont have to go to London like the rest of the UK?

True, however, I am left wondering how many will interpret "information" as "instructions." smile.png

as they are still offering double and triple entry visas, i think none

"as they are still offering double and triple entry visas" - for how much longer????

God! What a pessimist you are!

Give any info. you have based on fact not rumours based on hearsay. If fact then give your source(s). Please stop unnecessary scaremongering when there is so much genuine stress and anxiety around this issue.

• Like 1

So Scottish applications dont have to go to London like the rest of the UK?

Just checked the Glasgow website and answered my own question. You must have applied in person. Only postal applications must go to London.

Hi Sunseat T. I applied in person. I thought it would be only good for 6 months.

I arrived at Bangkok today. No problem, and I have a 3 visa waiver entrys this year.

IO did not speak to me, I was through within 2 minutes. I work in O & G and was a bit worried.

Received my triple tourist from London on Friday. No problems, despite mix of previous tourist, non-imm B and non-imm Ed visas that take up most of my passport.

Davo when you submitted your passport in London could you pick it up the next day?

Hopefully, everything will be okay.

Here's one question though. Say a double entry tourist visa. The person comes into Thailand, no problem. Now, he goes to Cambodia or Laos towards the end of the first entry (first part of the stay). He stays in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes, and then walks back into Thailand to use the second entry. Is there a small chance that there's going to be a problem on the second entry ?

Has anybody put anything on Thai Visa about how they had a problem getting into Thailand for the second entry on their double entry tourist visa, after staying in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes ??

Here's one question though. Say a double entry tourist visa. The person comes into Thailand, no problem. Now, he goes to Cambodia or Laos towards the end of the first entry (first part of the stay). He stays in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes, and then walks back into Thailand to use the second entry. Is there a small chance that there's going to be a problem on the second entry ?

Has anybody put anything on Thai Visa about how they had a problem getting into Thailand for the second entry on their double entry tourist visa, after staying in Laos or Cambodia for just ten minutes ??

There is no problem. This is normally done every day by hundred or thousand people. it is called 'activate visa entry".

• Like 1