Do you think Thailand generally gives people what they deserve?

squarethecircle

I see a lot of people complaining about scams, either with the wives or with shady business or the like.

So I'm curious: do you think Thailand generally gives people what they deserve?

I'm kind of split on this issue. On the one hand I've seen people marry obvious hookers, buy them houses and the whole spiel, and of course end up getting burnt. Seems like if you're this stupid you kind of deserve it.

On the other hand I've seen other people get screwed over who were simply naive in the ways of Asia, so they didn't really deserve it and were just naive.

On a more positive note, I've met decent people who are eccentric/adventurous/otherwise wouldn't be so happy living in the west, and ending up in very positive situations, in nice rural parts, living well with loving surroundings and good friends, just like they deserve.

On a more negative note, I've met a--holes from the west come here and who seem to do quite well for themselves, take advantage of the locals, etc. (ex: perverts). Seems like they don't deserve it and are just taking advantage of their relative wealth.

So what do you think?

"deserve" is a very loaded word, and I think nobody is really in a position to judge what other people deserve. Slippery slope.

I am also feeling that worrying about what other people deserve is just a step away from resentment and begrudging others... not a positive way to see life.

As Kwasaki says in the next post, take care of your own happyness.

Edited by manarak
  • Like 2